2020-07-28 02:00:04

Nobody on here really knows me on a personal level and when I am done reading or communicating on here, I just go.
I registered this account to ask a question in a thread about virtual machines. Didn't use it for over a whole year until I made my GPD Win 2 review thread.
There was no reason to post this thread, imo, it just serves to stroke your own ego and puff your chest out.
There's a whole a small number of people that are really *important* here, and I'm putting myself in the unimportatn category, people here important to me are the ones that just do more than ask questions and respond to posts, people that post their mods, projects, games, ideas, etc, are the important ones because they put the most productive energy into their posts.
There's nothing wrong with not being the most vocal guy in a conversation, if I don't know you, I'm not going to be socially dominant out of respect, but if I was in a convo where I was just minding my business and people were talking about police brutality as if it wasn't real, if I was going to open up my face and argue/debate with them, when that would inevitably fall apart because lets be real, no one accepts other people's opinions anymore, I would leave. And not try to come back like "Yooooo guys!" After I verbally ripped apart their logic.
If I did have to deal with that particular group of people again, it would just be on a common courtesy basis, no real interactions.
Also glad you can't just delete threads. Deleting threads when you yourself are just trying to leave, serves no purpose other than to shut other people up and it shows you weren't really committed to leaving in the first place

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2020-07-28 02:28:16

I find a problem with this because the rest of the staff team wasn't involved for one. It went behind everyone's back with no explanation until it was found out which I find to be unprofessional. And lastly I think this should have been a discussion with everyone. Those are my thoughts, they won't change this, but I wanted to vent.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-07-28 02:35:44

Didn't do wrong in my book.
In my opinion, only mods should have that power anyway, from the start.
I'm glad he did it the way he did, because he was able to figure out, 1, how the delete thread feature may be used, and 2, how often its really used, and its kinda funny that Brad of all people who kept trying to delete his threads because he himself wanted to leave is the one making a stink about it.
This is the internet. If you're not 100% sure of what you're posting, don't do it. And if you do something stupid in the heat of the moment, or because of a misunderstanding, own up to it, so there's no reason to delete anything.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2020-07-28 02:38:34

We shouldn't be allowed to delete posts or threads, because there should be a consequence for the past.  One of the problems with this community is that there aren't meaningful consequences for anything.  The least we can do is not give people what is effectively time travel.

I'm not sure how I feel about how the decision was made, but I agree with the decision and I would go so far as to say that we should block deleting of posts.  If you want to delete a post, edit it and say you deleted it, but this thing where you can just say whatever and then silently make it disappear without indication is bothersome and problematic, when people are responding to you.

For instance, not that I have the link anymore, there was that time in 2014 or 2015 when someone got really made at me for not capitalizing libaudioverse the way they wanted, I called them out for coming into my thread and getting mad about it, we went back and forth a few times, then they deleted their half of the discussion--so now there's just some angry rants by me with no context.  I could have deleted mine too, but I try hard not to sink as low as editing my past.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-07-28 02:49:57

I'm no longer on staff, but this is something I'm completely in favor of. The fact I could theoretically write a topic calling someone every foul name in the book, leave it up for 10 minutes, then erase it and get away with it since there's no proof I did it in the first place is problematic to say the least. Instead of being angry with the staff for making this change, be angry with the ones who caused this change to have to be made in the first place.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2020-07-28 02:53:16 (edited by Jeffb 2020-07-28 02:54:49)

As I've said I'm not angry about the change but the poor and unprofessional way it was done. I've vented. That's the last I'm going to say about it...

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-07-28 03:19:46

I don't think it was unprofessional or underhanded or any other name in the book. For one thing, like it or not, Jayde is an admin. Administrators generally have the latitude on most platforms to act in the best interests of the platform or service. If any of the admins needed permission from the rest for something as small as a trial of this nature, that's a pretty sad state of affairs.

This change carried no harm whatsoever, and it was done to try to catch someone in the act of a wrong doing, and by the sounds of it, it's been reverted until a decision can be made.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-28 03:46:10 (edited by Ethin 2020-07-28 03:49:39)

I'm in favor of disabling the deletion of posts and topics for the reasons outlined in 55. The ability to delete posts could definitely be used in a very malicious manner to make someone look like their attacking someone without provocation. And no, this was not conducted unprofessionally at all. The scope and overall affect is small enough that the other administrators shouldn't need to be involved. All it does is remove a very minor feature; it does not affect the platform in any major way.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-07-28 03:59:35

I'm leaving because people on this forum are too confusing.
You want the mods to crack down on bullying and do stuff to improve the forum,then you get mad when they actually do. Then we have people overreacting, demanding Jayde gets demoted.
I'm done. I'm tired. I'm leaving the forum

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-07-28 04:02:09

I'm back.

I personally think it was a good idea. I mean, maybe it may look kinda shady how Jayde didn't inform the staff team, but hey. What's the big deal about removing the ability to delete topics? Again as I said earliier. Unless you posted something really nasty then you had no reason to get all railed up about it, and calling Jayde tyranical for acting in the best iinterest of the forum, and said forum users tells more about you than Jayde.

_____

2020-07-28 04:14:53 (edited by Lucas1 2020-07-28 04:15:31)

Yeah, I will agree that the delete link should be disabled in favor of just editing your post to say [deleted] or whatever. Then it doesn't mess up thread-coherency for one thing, and lets other people see how often someone is deleting their posts.

2020-07-28 04:15:23

JayJay, mocking Brad is not helpful. Cut it out. I don't want to have to escalate this into an official action.

It was a cluster of things which caused me to make this decision autonomously and then just keep it to myself. I'm not defending the choice to keep it to myself; I think that may not have been a good idea, and it's not something I'm going to be in the habit of doing.
No, the change has not been reverted, but if our chat results in a decision to re-enable thread deletion, then it will be.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-07-28 04:19:43

@59
I don't think that particular instance was malice.  It's just easy to lose an argument and then delete your half of the argument, and in that instance it was someone getting mad for some reason I don't remember because I didn't make libaudioverse sound nice with screen readers by capitalizing the A and the V, which is a good way to set yourself up to lose an argument very, very badly.

The delete button is the "I didn't think" button and instead of learning that you should think, you learn that there's a "I didn't think" button, which is entirely the wrong lesson.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-07-28 04:50:19 (edited by George_Gaylord 2020-07-28 04:52:32)

@Jayde, it was more targetted at the guy who started making a big fuss about it, although I can see where you'd think I was jabbing at Brad.

Also, am I the only person who gets annoyed whenever they see something like the following?
Post #4:
@4, that was completely uncalled for and blah blah blah, and the fact that you went on to do blah blah blah is very blah.
Then you're thinking to yourself, um, aren't you post number 4? and why are you raiiling up lke that. Then only to find the post ws deleted.

_____

2020-07-28 05:00:25

Agreed with 64, and that's why whenever I write a post out here I try to remember that the delete button, for me, at least, is not an option, else the post doesn't merrit writing.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-07-28 05:46:19

for those of you who are against not being able to delete your own posts/threads anymore, let me ask you this question.
How else do you propose that we deal with the people who are trying to evade bans this way? I want to know, because I cannot think of any other way.
I have no problem with this personally. I want the mods and admins to know that I think they are doing a good job with this sight. I know a job like this can be hard sometimes, but I respect the work you are doing to try to make this a better place.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2020-07-28 06:00:27

@64, I know, but I was pointing out that other instances in future could be used with a malicious intent behind them.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-07-28 06:24:19

I think I've deleted one post ever in my time here. That was the one where I was bitching about Manamon and the wide open areas with nothing but empty space where the only thing for you to do was to hear the slap-slap of footstep sounds. The post was dumb, so I removed it. This just really isn't a big deal either way to me.

2020-07-28 06:31:34

Agree fully with Camlorn post 55. Not a super big fan of how the decision was made, but hey. I am in full support of the decision, and since Jayde has admitted there may have been better ways to go about it, I'm not going to press the issue. We're beating a dead horse by arguing about it at this point guys.

The only two reasons I have ever considered deleting threads are: 1. I posted something which hasn't gotten a single valuable response despite being up for years, and probably won't be noticed any time soon, or 2. If the responses  I did get were justifiably calling me out on something stupid. If I remember right, I only deleted one thread for the latter reason, but still. This forum is easily searchable, both on the forum itself or by Google or other search engines so far as I'm aware, and a small part of me fears that my distant past could easily come up by a simple search, and if not, it's a simple matter of combing through my topics to find incriminating stuff. My own past mistakes and my guilt over them do drive me to delete the rare thread, and I can sympathize a bit with those who wish to delete some of their own threads. But I still do not believe it is reasonable to expect this to be a thing. Many forums don't allow deletion of threads. Heck, many forums do not even allow you to edit your posts after 24 hours.

Once you post something on the Internet, it's out there. Admittedly this is a double-edged sword. You could very easily slander someone and scar them for life (cyber-bullying, hacking etc.) But it also helps in good ways too, because it is a constant reminder that actions have consequences, in real life and especially on the Internet. Regardless of your beliefs on what your rights should be on a forum, everyone will have to face the reality that anything they put on the Internet is not fully their's to control. Once it leaves your computer's ram and is uploaded to a server, it's out of your hands. Just as anything you say reaches the other person's mind as soon as it leaves your lips. You can't magically undo what you've said or take it back, so the fact that this forum, and some others allowed you to delete whole conversations for the longest time, and still allows you to delete posts, is going quite against the norm of society here. I think technology has given people the facade that they are in full control of what they say even after they've said it, and if you think about it long enough, it's a very very dangerous mindset to have especially when you're 12 and aren't mature enough to know any better/different. It's so easy to make a habit of washing away all the evidence if you're about to be caught or if you're giving yourself a guilt trip over what you've done. Those reactions aren't unreasonable per say. Like I say, I do sympathize, but it just concerns me how often such abilities seem to be taken for granted by people who are far from a crisis and would only use those features for their own satisfaction.

I agree with The Great Carver, post 60, that if the delete thread feature weren't abused, it would be nice to have when it was truly necessary, but admittedly I can't think of any time it's actually been justified properly. I'm sure it has at some point though, I just didn't see it.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2020-07-28 16:21:09

I am in complete favor of not being able to delete threads and posts, and not be able to edit your posts either. Honestly I think that has a lot to do with why so many trolls and nasty people come back again and again. This is an easy place for them to hide, and we are feeding the trolls by letting them edit and delete posts big_smile
It is also important to remember that even if the feature is implemented, you can still contact a mod an ask them to delete a topic if the reason is one of concern, however this will make people think before they act, and this will also force me to read my posts first to check for spelling errors big_smile

2020-07-28 16:40:24

I stayed away for 10 months I believe?

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2020-07-28 17:04:41

I don't know if I like not being able to edit posts. Sometimes I'll write something and post it, and remember something else that should have been included, so I edit the post and add it in. This seems preferable to writing a bunch of messages, though people sometimes still do this and ask a bunch of questions back to back to back. This is annoying to see.

2020-07-28 19:11:42

sometimes, due to net lag, the site produces duplicate posts and I end up having to delete one, so for that reason, I would like that function to remain. Totally not against losing the ability to delete threads, though.

2020-07-28 20:19:52 (edited by mazen 2020-07-29 14:32:46)

Welcome back smile

2020-07-28 20:21:50

I'm not in favor of losing the edit feature. It's cleaner than posting a second time if you need to add something in or clarify a point.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united