2020-07-26 22:45:24 (edited by mazen 2020-07-26 22:48:16)

How did it happen though?
Edit, it appears for me
Edit2, only on posts. I’m surprised. Do the webmasters look at the forum? Or how did it happen

2020-07-26 22:51:11

@Lucas1853, I prefer the delete option but what you said makes sense.

I've edited my first post to let people know I won't be responding after this post.

SO if you guys and girls write on here, you'll need to talk amongst yourselves, cause I didn't want this post to exist anymore past this point so will just not read or reply to anymore responses, no matter how tempting it might be smile

@mazen, I think the web developers read this forum from time to time, or; the mods got in touch with them.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-07-26 22:54:01

@jimmy69, Shady's back, tell a friend.

Now everyone report to the dance floor, to the dance floor, to the dance floor.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-26 23:12:51

My back is forward. Should I go post about it?

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-07-26 23:44:19

Actually, brad is back.

2020-07-27 02:50:34

Moderation:
No, nobody's in trouble here, but I'm speaking officially so the mod hat goes on.

This is my doing, guys. All me. Nobody else. If you have criticism, point it here. But be proper about it.

First of all, there are options within the administration panel about forums. One of those options stops users from deleting posts. Another stops them deleting threads. Yet another, I believe, even stops them editing posts at all.

So, I wanted to run an experiment, and it actually wasn't Brad who prompted it, although his situation was one for which such an experiment would also bear fruit.
Over the last six months to a year, we've had people make topics, get reported, then delete said topics before they can get punished. For some of you, this looked a bit like us admins weren't doing our job; the reality is that in large part this boiled down to lack of evidence.

Well, given that we had at least one banned member floating around, as well as suspicion of at least one more, I thought I'd try something. I very quietly disabled the ability to delete a thread (not a post, you're still free to delete those). My hope was that someone would go and do what they've been doing in the past, and get caught red-handed. Ironically, nobody did.

Only in the last day or two has anybody even noticed that they couldn't delete their own threads anymore, and I made this change without announcing it about two weeks back. I told no one, not even the staff team, because this was purely an experiment, and I thought it best at the time to keep quiet. I'll be honest as well, and say that we're trying to switch communication platforms as well, so this also contributed. The point is, this is on me; secrecy is not my typical mode of address and is not a pattern I intend to repeat.  Now that the cat is out of the bag, I intend to have a staff discussion in order to see if this change should be reverted or not. I am personally of the belief that the change was a good one and should actually stay,but this absolutely needs to be a staff decision.
And lest you think that I was trying to put my views into action and not get caught? Think first, please. Eventually, somebody was going to try and delete a thread they'd created, and would be caught off guard when they found themselves unable to do it when they could before. Unless I wanted to start lying and making things up wholesale - which I won't do, and haven't done - this was going to come out eventually. There was absolutely no chance that I blamed this on code, the webmasters, user error or anything else. I knew that this was going to be a temporary situation, and planned accordingly. The real question was when and how, not if. If you want to see this as anything, call it a trial run by someone who was taking initiative. Perhaps too much initiative, and perhaps I should've shared with the team, but I wanted some data to pull from, and ultimately didn't get it. I do not intend to do this again.

No one has gotten hurt, and no one was caught out unduly by making a personally damning thread that they later wanted to recant, so my attempt at entrapment did not work. I would like to point out, however, that deleting a thread to avoid consequences is not any sort of guarantee that you will actually avoid those consequences at all.

Hopefully that clears a few things up.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-07-27 03:05:37

Users: Mods aren't doing stuff.
Jayde: Does something.
Everyone: Notices.
Everyone: Bitch out about it.
Jayde: Damn. I was expecting someone to do something stupid and post a damning topic, so I could hit the ban hammer on them. And I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for that meddling Brad.
Jaidon: So why are you guys so defensive about Jayde removing the delete topic feature? Sure, its a bit dirty how he didn't tell the rest of the mod team, which at this point is only Aaron, but for the rest of us the only reason this would effect us is if we posted something we didn't want people to see, in which case why the hell did you post it then?
Everyone: @JayJay, its the priinciple. Jayde should have told us that.
Jaidon: Sighs.

_____

2020-07-27 03:28:26

I think the questionable aspect of this was not communicating this idea to the staff team. I had my reasons, but as for whether or not they're good reasons, that's not just up to me to decide. I could have gotten the same end result by telling the staff team, if I trust them to keep quiet, which I do. Like I say, however, this was never going to be a permanent change that nobody knew about. It was bound to get out sooner or later, and I knew that going in. Do not characterize this as me being "caught", because even if I had told the staff team, this would have been the end result. Someone would have tried to delete a thread and would have found themselves unable to do so.
My fault, then, is in not communicating as well as I should have with the staff team. This is not a typical problem, and there is no evidence of this having happened before now, and no evidence that it will continue to happen in future, either.

2020-07-27 03:34:28

I don't think it was a bad idea. I also happen to believe that the rest of the staff probably do not respond promptly, or in  a reasonable amount of time. I actually think going forward, y'all should implement a principal that failure to respond within a certain amount of time regarding a decision means you forfeit your right to vote in that decision and you are counted as an abstention. This little experiment did not cause any harm.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-27 03:37:56

Sometimes the staff are actually really quick, and sometimes they're not. It depends on who you get, how urgent the situation is, and probably a lot of other factors as well.
I'm hesitant to exclude people from a decision unless the wait period is of a decent length, unless the decision needs to be made as soon as possible. This one didn't really have such a fuse on it, which is why I'm owning culpability for not communicating clearly or even just waiting a bit first.
I wanted to act quickly, so I did. At the time, I was having all kinds of trouble accessing the list, which is what led me to create a Discord server, which we're slowly getting up and running.

2020-07-27 03:50:51

Nah, its more of a scooby doo joke. I mean, if you had blabbered about it to everyone then the plan wouldn't have worked, now would it had?

_____

2020-07-27 04:04:52

@Brad, first, welcome back.

And the ability to delete the topic disappeared? Guess who's done that? If you weren't trying to delete your thread, the ability to delete the topic would still exist. And also, last time you were complaining the mods weren't doing their job? And now Jayde did, and you should congratulate him for doing something to prevent you from trying to delete your own threads in the future. Instead of complaining to all the mods again. Lol.

2020-07-27 04:10:13

To be fair, Brad has not actually made a big issue of this, so let's not jump on his back. He's also said he's not going to respond in here anymore, so again, let's not jump on his back.

To suddenly find that you can't delete your own threads, especially if you were one of the people who wanted to do it in the past, is probably a bit alarming. It may even have felt a little bit like a personally motivated change. It's not, but that first spike of annoyance or even anger, I can understand. It's why I said that I take full responsibility for it. If it were me in Brad's position, I'd be momentarily annoyed, too, and then I'd do precisely as he did. I'd ask what in the heck was going on. In that light, Brad has done absolutely nothing wrong.

2020-07-27 08:05:23

of course he will respond. he just can't help it. but just in case people don't agree with me, i'm leeving and so you can't respond to me either. i'll be back when i wake up though. grins.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2020-07-27 09:02:37

@SirBadger, looks like you were right smile but this truely will be my final post on this topic as Jade came in and posted so I should at least respond to that @)

@jade, thanks for understanding, yeah honestly it was alarming, I don't think it was a personal attack targetted at me but I did find it strange I couldn't delete the topic.

I don't blame you or any mods, I'll just have to be sure that the topic I'm making is one I actually want to  keep up on the forum.

I've said all I want to say on the topic and will try to stick to my own rule from now on smile

I'm gone for real :)

2020-07-27 09:52:10

I for one approve completely of this change, and hope the rest of the admin team agrees with you Jayde, so it stays. I have been guilty of deleting topics in the past, for frankly completely stupid reasons -- they were not even particularly embarrassing, like Brad's are -- and recent conversations drove home just how impolite that was. With all the trouble deleting topics has caused in the past, I'd be very happy to see it disabled.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-07-27 10:39:20

Look back into  my previous post, I ought to be shamed of myself. My English sucks. lol.

2020-07-27 13:42:51

As a past mod, I approve of this idea.  It enables people to face their past for what it is so as to learn from it in the present and grow into a better future.  I think the times have been far too many where someone trys to take advantage of the feature to act as if part of their life never happened or they take away a valuable resource for the rest of the community because they're angry with a select few for whatever reason.  Interestingly enough, when the question of "what was your first post" comes up or something similar, I see a ton of people going back and reflecting and saying things like "Good grief I really was an idiot back then, wasn't I?"  That's an admition.  It takes some time to get there, but I do believe the fact that history is written so clearly is the only thing that truly helps along that road, particularly since we as limited creatures tend to forget things if they're not altogether convenient for us to remember.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-07-27 18:55:33

I will not be posting on this forum in any way, shape or form after this post. Not that I expect anyone to miss me, but I refuse to support either a community or a moderation staff that would condone this kind of underhanded action.
If I want to delete my posts, I should be fully within my rights to do so. When I signed up to this forum, there was nothing in the terms of service that said that my posts must be preserved for posterity and could not be deleted. I did not agree to have all of my posts archived without the ability to remove them from the time of my registration.
Furthermore, if this were going to be done, it should have been implemented in the rules. The terms of using the forum should have been updated to say that from now on, all posts, past, present and future, will be the property of audiogames.net and will be unable to be deleted.
I hope that Jayde will be removed as a moderator. However, since his underhanded actions have been mostly approved of, I do not see this happening. It's only a baby step from trying an experiment with the power one has been given to handing down "executive orders." The Governor of my state proved this nicely and has been roundly punished for it in court.
If I were able, I would remove my articles and posts and leave. But since I'm not, I will just leave.

2020-07-27 19:06:18

@45 Calm down. You can still delete your posts, just not your topics. So you can still remove any contribution you personally made on the forum, you just can't remove people's reactions to whatever you said.

2020-07-27 19:06:44 (edited by Mayana 2020-07-27 19:07:40)

@david_solomon1 you can still delete your own posts. All that has changed is that you can no longer delete whole topics, which would not only delete your posts, but everyone else's as well. But if the post you want to delete does happen to be the first post in a topic, then editing it to delete all the content in it is still an option.

And there isn't even any proof yet that this current state will be permanent. There is no need to overreact just yet. Take a deep breath, go get a glass of water and calm down.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-07-27 20:27:57

Wait, so someone posts an "I'm leaving" post, then predictably returns, then someone piles onto *that* post and says they're leaving? Is that about the size of it?

2020-07-27 21:41:41

I'd also like to point out that David has made many articles over the years. Articles, once they're in the articles room, self-lock, which means, I believe, that they can't be straight-up deleted by whosoever made them. He had no problem with this until now.

And yes, to be clear, you can still delete your own messages. You can still edit them to your heart's content. That has not changed and is not going to change anytime soon.

I feel that my only mistake in handling this was in not telling the staff team and getting them on board with it first. I have explained why this happened as it did, but for some, it won't hold up as an excuse. As far as doing it for a limited time without telling users? I thought then, and still think now, that it was a good idea. Entrapment only matters if you do something wrong. Remember, we're talking whole threads here, not posts; if you wanted to delete a post you made that you now regret, nothing stops you doing so. The aim was to slip this change through, and hopefully catch someone making a clone topic or a bashing topic or something else, something that would draw multiple reports and would then shock the hell out of the original poster when they realized they couldn't actually delete the thread. Unfortunately, this has happened multiple times, even in the last six months. The only people who had anything to fear were people who were going to try and hide their breaking of rules; everyone else would be virtually unaffected.

So if David wants to leave over this, cool I guess. I wouldn't consider myself as being anywhere near as oppressive as he's implying, but hey, everyone's entitled to an opinion I suppose.

2020-07-27 22:05:29

In an ideal world I'd rather users keep the ability to delete threads, but if that functionality is being abused by people to avoid punishment I have absolutely no problem with this being taken away. But frankly, this is nothing to lose sleep over, and I certainly won't be leaving the forum over it.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2020-07-27 22:24:15 (edited by Lucas1 2020-07-27 22:25:33)

@50: Why? Why should it be your right to delete contributions that you did not make? I support your right to delete or edit any post that you make all you want, but when you delete a thread, you are deleting contributions from others.
Obviously you're not like the other guy saying you're going to leave the forum, but if he's leaving I obviously can't get answers from him, so I just seek to understand your viewpoint.