2021-02-12 06:32:57

The OP is a very valid point though... could have quadruple the swearwords in it and still be valid. There are MUDs/MOOs that I'll never reveal my visual impairment on because blindies came, blindies blindied, made a complete tit of themselves, pissed off staff that were attempting to accommodate them and basically made blind players a complete fucking cringe factor for the rest of the playerbase. Once a group of players or a MUD/MOO get's that reputation, it will rarely get the chance to shed it. Take a look /r/MUD where to this day Cosmic Rage is still considered to be a typo ridden mess.
Then there are the blindie heartlands of Alter Aeon, where it's wall to wall roflroflrofl spam and everyone is weird AF. I can't even imagine how many people took a look at that and just noped the fuck out of there post haste.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2021-02-12 08:15:02

I'm a good little blink blink. In fact, I am the most perfectest blink blink ever. I should get many, many brownies for being a good blink blink.

* I never start drama.
* I try to help developers help me (and everyone else).
* I'm learning Python and never was tainted by BGT.
* I write everything I can in Markdown or Org-mode.
* I have a Gemini blog.
* I don't use TeamTalk (still have to get Discord all working on Linux)
* I use a braille display, not a Notetaker.
* I have a blink blink job at a blink / Deaf / General / DeafBlind adult education facility teaching technology to other blinkettes? Miniblinks? Littleblinks? Not little as in children, but more like... blinknewbs. smile
* I live in housing provided by the same institute that I work at, in cooperation with another organization. My "cottage" is full of other blink blinks just like me, working at a factory. Now that's an even *better* blink blink job!

Slightly more seriously, @33 can I come get some food too?

Even more seriously, @Zarvox I'm so sorry for what you're going through. It sounds like your dad is guilt tripping you a lot with the whole "I do this because I love you" thing. I'd definitely look for hobbies and things you like: reading, writing, arithmetic... programming, proofreading, technical writing, writing documentation, event planning, um well now I'm getting into job titles but yeah, try stuff out. Try writing a Fanfiction. I did, and I mean I could, but managing so many plot points along with not having a clear idea of the whole story really broke things. And then I tried programming, and I think I'm finally passed the mental block stage and able to understand a lot more. But with everything, it takes a lot of practice and dedication. Find something you want to make. A game, a calming sound scape that changes based on what window you're in (Now that does sound nice) or what I did, getting the lunch menu from a Moodle page and extracting the menu for today. There's so much you can make with code, and while I may never be a professional programmer, I at least can make scripts that can help me out. So yeah maybe try that. And there's always reading, there are plenty of books out there, in just about any genre.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2021-02-12 09:34:56 (edited by JLove 2021-02-12 09:48:22)

Ok...I don't normally post on topics like this, but I have to in this case.
@1,
I have no issue with you venting.  I do it all the time.  But the problem I have is that you didn't provide any context.  You were so vague about what actually occurred.  I've read through these posts, and I still don't know what anyone did that pissed you off.  Perhaps an explanation of what really occurred on the Discord server to incite your rant would have been a helpful inclusion in your original post.  I have no issue with emotion, but the cause of that emotion should be laid out with fact.  At the end of the day, all of the fuck words in the English language don't give any sort of context for what took place on the Discord server to warrant such a post, and people who weren't there are just left scratching their heads after reading that rant, because they have no idea of what actions precipitated it.  Facts matter.  The devil is in the details, as they say, and your original post was seriously lacking in substantive details of any kind regarding the cause.  Let's be fair.  "...started shit on the Awakened MUD discord," is extremely vague.  What actually happened?

2021-02-12 10:15:55

Yeah I really want to know what happened too

2021-02-12 10:25:10 (edited by Valmorian 2021-02-12 10:28:34)

mechaSkyGuardian wrote:

@37 The reason I was thinking about it was because apparently they had programs that taught you how to live more independently

They say that and some do have it, but there geared towards specific disabilities, you may learn something from them, but you likely won't because the school is focused on teaching you education so anything they give you will be sub par, both education wise and skills wise. Again there are exceptions, but generally going to them is never a good idea, you won't learn anything else you can't learn elsewhere, and you can end up a lot worse off because going from a blind school back to the mainstream world can be horibley shocking

2021-02-12 12:09:30

the thing is, people here just have to whine about games not beeing aksesible and not playing them
eeven the hardest games with the hardest pussles can get aksessible, if you guys try holding out, just because a game is inaksessible in our turms, does not meen that you cant make it aksessible for your self by trying it out, getting as far as you can

Suffering's what keeps me alive.
If one never suffers, one doesn't live propperly.
So embrace the pain, the suffering life has brought you and will bring you in the future

2021-02-12 12:14:52

GrannyCheeseWheel wrote:

Just out of the blue, he pops up and is like quit being a cunt, to someone.

@@17 I know I got banned, I haven't forgotten. For the most part, I feel like I've managed to keep myself out of the bullshit that got me banned before. Not perfectly, but I'll never be the good little bitch everyone wants me to be.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-02-12 12:29:18 (edited by Dakonna 2021-02-12 12:40:17)

@53 don't... mention... the d... word! no! nooooooooooooooooooo! blind people never, ever, use discord! Discord is an inaccessible piece of trash that is so inaccessible it's become a huge black hole of inaccessibility and the devs are evil cosmic monsters colluding with the great old ones to never, ever make discord accessible! Do not mention the unmentionable one on this consecrated forum ever again, or you shall be forsaken to never open the public US team talk server again! That's right, you will have to throw that braille plus note taking braille note device in the trash and start using an honest to god normal computer! The horrors will not stop there, for your blue yeti microphone will be thrown into the Discord black hole, along with your guide book on "how to make eloquence sing in reverse on a DECtalk access synthesizer"! The blink will not be betrayed!

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2021-02-12 13:55:24

@58, not to mention your use of the word, fuck, bitch, mother, hor, mamma, and drama will be restricted

_____

2021-02-12 15:24:14

@56
no, You can't, For example, Games like dragonball and their stuff, Requires you to walk into places and there's some signs you need to read to get your self going, And too many games of those stile, So saying hey i will blip bleep beep boop everything till i get going, Doesn't work everywhere.
@57, Liked how you used your signeture as a way of replying, Interesting concept.

2021-02-12 15:37:10

@56
Going around saying any game can be made accessible while grossly misspelling accessible is one of the things that gives us a bad name.  There's nothing like asking for the impossible using a "I can't spell anything" soup to get your point across if you want sighted devs to take us seriously. Grossly misspelled grand aspirational statements that reveal a lack of understanding of the world are one of the things that makes me not want to point sighted people here.

Some games can be made accessible.  It would be nice if more were.  But go try to beat Dark Souls with no vision.  I'll wait.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-02-12 16:00:42

@Zarvox Sink or swim, fine, but you've got a lead weight tied around your foot right now. So you get there with no job, they won't give you benefits there ahead of time because you don't live there. No job, no money, no renter's history, no apartment, no credit... see where this is going? You'll find your ass on the street so fast, your head will spin around in a complete circle. It would be the height of stupidity to do what you're talking about doing in your current situation.

So you're on the street. Do you think you can hack it? I mean there have definitely been plenty of blind people who have, but I seriously don't see you as one of them. So now what, you call up daddy and say can you please bring me home? He does, and now he's spending money that he probably doesn't have to either fly or drive halfway across the country and come get you, or to wire you money in hopes that you can book yourself a ticket home.

If this is something you want, you have to do so much planning to make it work. Get benefits where you live and start saving up. You'll probably need a mover / shipper. Even if you only want to take what you can carry with you, then you'll need something as far as basic furnishings. Oh sure you can slum it by sleeping on the floor, but you don't think apartments come fully furnished, do you? Some do of course, but that's generally for the wealthy. You'll get a fridge and a stove with oven either like a range or a wall oven. You'll have a sink and possibly a dish washer, you'll have a bathroom sink, shower / tub but that's about it.

Some places allow you to rent a washer / dryer, and some have a laundry facility with coin-op machines on site. So you'd be living rough for a while unless you can scrape at least some money together. But that's not even counting your lack of skills.

You can't cook, OK but at least for the basics, that's easily solvable. Buy some bump dots and get someone to put them on your microwave in a way that makes sense to you. Someone will have to show you how microwaves work too. There are some presets, I would avoid them. I always put in my own times for things. You could honestly get away with numbers and the +30 button, but I always enter my times and sometimes do them in stages with the power level button depending on what I'm making. Get an app like seeing AI or envision AI, or something that scans barcodes. You'll find instructions on your cans of soup and stuff.

These things aren't hard but you do need to know them before you can reasonably expect to live on your own.

Another angle to consider is that if your father loves you so much, why didn't he teach you these things until now. He just let you enter into adulthood with no concept of how to do anything. I get that you used to be sighted, but seriously, he should have made sure you got into some sort of program. That's his job, and he didn't do it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-12 16:01:02

@60, I seriously need to change this signature, don't I?

_____

2021-02-12 16:30:04

@62
I wouldn't be so bleak as that.  He definitely needs skills but you'd be surprised how much stuff can be successfully acquired by trial by fire.

Benefits are a definite requirement, but if he can be stable somewhere for 6 months on his own he can probably figure out e.g. basic cooking because there's nothing like "do this or starve" as a motivator if you're in the position of needing to replace confidence in yourself with something else.

My Blog

2021-02-12 16:30:46

Totally agree with post 1. The way most blind people act these days is just, wow. For example, I was going to a new school about 2 years ago, keep in mind that I'm in 8th grade, but anyway I was going into this new school. And I was beeing treeted like someone who needed help with evrything. Well I looked into it and apparently there was a few other blind students that had gone there, and according to this other student, the kid was getting into fights, and being disruptive in class. The kid also needed help with about evrything, so I'm getting treated like a handycapt person for about this hole school year. Until my mom put a stop to it in the second year, just goes to show how small some blind people act.

Sound designer and music producer.

2021-02-12 18:08:27

Ok so before I even say anything here, I'd just like to preffis this by saying that I've had a pretty abusive family life. It's possible things aren't actually as bad as they look to me right now, but my parents always used to play similar mind games with me, and while I'm currently in somewhat unstable housing, living in a place nowhere as nice as the place I recently left, I'm oh so much happier for it.
What your dad is doing to you right now isn't love. It's debilitating, life destroying manipulation. Don't get into this trap of thinking that because your family provide you with basic necessities that you instantly oh them some sort of debt. You don't.

2021-02-12 22:48:31 (edited by Zarvox 2021-02-12 22:59:34)

No I'm not in debt, actually he owes me 10000 dollars, but that's a whole other topic. I have emotionally detached myself from him enough to where him missing me if I killed myself, doesn't hold me back. But I do want to pay him back by spending more time with him. But the reason I don't do that, is exactly the reason that I am still here. Because I don't have the skills yet to move and be stable. I would like to be able to live in my own place and meet up with him like once or twice a week. He is already gone a lot of the time, but it doesn't feel the same way when I spend time with him now, as it would in the above scenario. I could consider asking if I can live in this house alone and he can live in the other house so that I can practice independence, but this house is where all of his disorganized shit is. Not to mention it is super old, and every time I walk into my room, my mindset goes from positive to negative immediately. I call it an atmosphere. When you walk into a place that instantly changes your mindset.
The problem with living in this house vs an apartment is that I already know the people here, and none of them are social, and they are super old. In an apartment complex, you have a wider age range, and more people may visit the areas aronudn you.
So should I ask about living independently in this house? It's worth a try, and probably the best course of action for me. I don't have to pay rent, I won't have to deal with my dad complaining or guilt tripping about I don't love him because I asked to be independent, and I already know this area a little bit.
I don't want to move to the other house, because my dad is still "managing it" whatever that means, and I've heard stories about that house that make me question the sanitary conditions. So I'd rather stay here where things are so old and fucked up, they are broken. Well on second thought, if that house gets better... nah I still think I prefer here.
This probably won't happen because this house still has all of his stuff. But for the amount of time he is spending over there, he might as well just live there.

2021-02-12 22:59:01

@67
If dad isn't around much why doesn't it count as independent but with training wheels/a safety net?  What's the difference between him being around very rarely and him not being around at all?

Unless you get into something like a co-op you'll find that being in an apartment building doesn't mean getting to know your neighbors; if you want to get to know people, you have to go out and make an effort.  Look at meetup.com for example, see if anything around you looks interesting.

My Blog

2021-02-12 23:04:03 (edited by Zarvox 2021-02-12 23:59:32)

I think I over exaggerated that. He is still home a lot, but on the days he does leave, it is pretty much for the rest of the day. Sometimes he leaves at 8, sometimes at 11, sometimes at 2, it's random each day. Sometimes he doesn't leave at all. So I over exaggerated that. I could technically be buying my own groceries and popping them into the microwave or learning how to use the smaller oven. So yes some of this is my fault. But being independent in this house feels wrong to me. I think because I would then be taking care of the house instead of my dad. Also I am uncomfortable being independent here because my dad is the type of person to give praise over the smallest things. He tells me, I brag about you all the time to other people. For what? I don't do jack shit, there is nothing to brag about. I actually asked and said that to him. I don't remember what his response was, but it doesn't matter because you can't change his mind about anything. My dad has several problems with logical thinking, that just puts the icing on the cake.

2021-02-12 23:04:34 (edited by JLove 2021-02-12 23:08:59)

I'm still unclear about what exactly caused the original rant in the first place, and it appears as though we're never going to get the actual facts of what occurred from the original poster.  What I will say is this.  To me, it seems that a large part of the problem is the education system.  Let's just be honest.  In this country, education has sharply declined in value and in quality over the last 30 years or so, and if you need any evidence to support that claim, look at how many blind people can't spell basic words after graduating high school, or get their subjects and verbs to agree to put together a decent sentence.  And I'm not talking about those who are ESL.  I'm talking about 100% Americans, who speak English as their primary language.  I am utterly amazed at the low level of literacy of the blind.  I myself am 100% blind.  I started reading Braille at the age of 3, and I did so every day of my life for the next 27 years or so.  And you know what?  I can actually spell words correctly.  Moreover, not only can I do it, I am in a profession that requires it.  There are those that would say that is somehow amazing, citing Braille as the reason that blind people don't spell worth a damn.  That's crap.  It's not Braille.  It's the entire educational system.  I graduated in 1997, and since then I've seen things get progressively worse.  My point is, bad education is partly to blame for whatever behavior the original poster was referencing that he still hasn't elaborated on, and apparently never will.  Now, when you add overprotective parents who shelter their children to the point of lunacy, or in the alternative, parents who abuse their children either directly because of their disability, or simply because they can get away with it by its very nature, to the quagmire that is our educational system, you have a recipe for disaster.  Poor education leads to poor communication skills, and those two deficiencies lead to poor social skills, which makes for a nasty, caustic brew.

2021-02-12 23:16:47

Started shit? Lolz ... I told someone to not be a cunt when he was making fun of someone for not speaking english, then I disagreed with the admin, politely, and then left the server. There were prier insidents before this. Fact check before you accuse people for fucks sake, because you look like a crybaby.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2021-02-12 23:17:09

Everyone who is saying how I haven't elaborated on what happened, first of all, I did in post 21. Secondly, it doesn't matter what happened, it matters that shit keeps happening. The only reason people want to know is so they can get their little jollies off on it.

No elaboration beyond what I said in post 21 is needed, and none shall be forthcoming. My entire point is that blind people acting stupid fucks us all. You don't need the specifics to understand that.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-12 23:24:07 (edited by LordLundin 2021-02-12 23:38:53)

Well if you're going to use me as an example, make sure that the behaviour presented was the kind you were bitching about. I stood up for someone. I realized in hindsight that cunt is way more rude in the US than in the rest of the world but my intentions were good. I disagreed about how the admin was handling that, but this was just the straw that broke the camels back due to previous experiences in game, so I left.
Trust me, I keep saying and doing aweful shit on a daily, but this was certainly not one of them. post 1 is francly stupid.
Edit:
To explain in detail what happened, I was scrolling through the chat on Awakeneds Discord to see if I'd missed anything important.
Someone was asking a question in broken english, but was being polite about it if I recall correctly, at least no personal attacks, just expressed frustration. Someone else commented and asked if the poster and I quote "was that in english?" - it was broken but clearly understandable. I mentioned this user and told him not to be a cunt.
Hours later the admin mentions me and the person I scolded and warned us for our behaviour. I told him, in a respectable fascion, that I was only standing up for another user and that nothing was started because no drama unfolded for it.
Because of his response, I left - although I was due to anyway. Cunt is too much in a game where you murder prostitutes for fun and witness grusome torture? I don't agree with that - so I left. I only said nice, which sure that was snarky - hardly a blindy thing as my experience playing countless muds and taking part of different communities will tell me. I then left. No drama started, and here this angry person is  making valid points. He's an anti-hero it seems, because I've noticed a trend in this community. If you bitch about blind people, it makes you ... not necessarily popular, but people are going to show their support no matter how dumb your way of expressing an opinion might seem.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2021-02-12 23:43:05

The blind guy talking was talking nonsense. I agree with you that the dude went a little too far and got kinda shitty with him, but you took it to the next level by calling him a cunt.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-12 23:58:25

Right, cultural difference, which is super weird.
In American: don't be a cunt = don't be such a garbage fucking human oxygen thief and kill yourself.
In brittish and australian and plenty other cultures that speak english as secondary: don't be a cunt = don't be such an ass.
Still, I think you can see why I don't appreciate being name dropped over a simple cultural misunderstanding.
That being said you do bring up valid opinions. I probably disagree with them, if I'm so inclined I might go back and actually read properly since I was just skimming through.
I was gonna ask you to change post 1, but then realized I'd just come across as a winy bitch myself, but I'd really like it if you added an edit or something about the situation to clarify what actually happened.
Have a fantastic evening, sir.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube