2020-08-13 06:54:16

Ok guys, so question. Do you ever get too old to play with your favorite childhood toys? Here's why I ask. I'm looking for a doll I had when I was little. I wouldn't replace it if I had actually gotten to enjoy it then. I received this doll in either 07 or 08, can't remember. I got to play with her for all of 1 week, and then she kind of crashed. I could never get her working again. Now I've found another one and I want to get it for my birthday, but I don't want to lose my best friends because of this.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2020-08-13 07:01:42

If they're your best friends, they'll understand.

You're never to old for anything, it's your life not theirs.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-08-13 07:15:18

we'll be never old for our childhood toys

2020-08-13 07:25:22

I say  get it. You can never be too old to play with toys.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2020-08-13 07:27:08

I think it depends on what it is and what purpose it serves. My fav toy, well, it was marketers as a toy because of the whole videogame crash of 1983, was the Nintendo entertainment system. Dont think i will ever outgrow that for as long as gaming remains one of my hobbies. However, my other favorite toy I got for my 12th birthday was an educational toy laptop that talked and had all these word and math games on it. I'd feel a little silly playing with that, now that I have a college education.

If you want to pick up a favorite doll you had as a kid though, by all means don't let anyone's opinion stop you. It has nostalgic value to you, and i think it's ok to indulge that feeling from time to time. If i still had that little fake pc, I might be tempted to fire it up to see how well I still do at the elementary stuff, then marvel at how far technology has come in the last 25 years.

2020-08-13 08:43:48

Well, you guys may or may not remember Amazing Allysen. She was one of those interactive dolls that you could have a conversation with. She came with a bunch of accessories that you could put in her hand and she could recognize them. My favorite thing was she actually learned things about you and remembered them. For example, she might ask you if you liked to sing, and she would remember what you told her. Like I said, mine crashed after a week and never worked again. I still don't know why.

2020-08-13 09:32:58

Never. Who wants to grow up anyway? I'll forever have my inner child.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-08-13 09:44:50

And for those with questions, this is a video of Allysen and how she works and things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq2HpE5KVto

2020-08-13 10:28:33

Man I wish I had site and in Nintendo 64, so I could’ve played Zelda ocarina of time. That’s still my favorite game of all time. Nothing could change that. That’s, unless I got a new PC.
I would be able to emulate things much better than I can now. My current PC was not billed for it.
Also, #KidsForever.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2020-08-13 14:14:04

I'd say we're definitely not too old for our favourites at all. I've been a fan of bop it, and I still collect this series.
I don't buy every toy I come across though, but I always look in places like Disney store for anything noisy or interactive, whenever I get the chance. With the current situation, I don't know when that will happen next time.

2020-08-13 15:01:52

This one wouldn't even be such a big deal for me if I had actually gotten to enjoy it. About Bop It, me too. I love those.

2020-08-13 15:36:00

I suppose it depends upon what is meant by "toy", here.

As Kenshira said, in computer game terms, yes, I absolutely still play on games and consoles I had when I was a kid, both because they are journies and memories, and because frankly games like Turrican, Marrio, final fight, streets of rage  and Metroid are just dam good games whatever decate or stage of life you're in big_smile.

However, I also had a massive collection of action figures. Heman, ghost busters, Ninja turtles, starwars, wrestlers, the alien franchise, plus a huge number of randomly miscellaneous figures I bought simply because they looked good.
I never actually played aliens or heman or ghostbusters or whatever with these, I always made up my own stories and gave the figures my own characters in a universe I designed myself.

The funny thing was, at the age of about thirteen, I found the figures were less necessary to me. Not that I wasn't interested in making up stories, just that I no longer needed props.

I still remember my action figures fondly, and I wouldn't dis anyone who has them, heck, I still have a lot of  statues (especially dragons), and other fantasy creatures which serve a purely ornamental purpose myself.

These days though, I find I am quite capable of making up stories in my head, having thoughts and creating my own universes,and indeed I do that in writing.
So, no, at this point, though I remember them very fondly I don't consider that I "need!" to play with my action figures anymore, simply because I have found something better :d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-08-13 17:27:02

Agree with #7. it's Your choice, not anyone else'

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2020-08-13 18:17:12

I say get it, and have your fun.

Last year I took a trip over seas and brought a mini self-contained portable console with like 30 games on it to give to my stepson. I even brought along 3 packs of aaa batteries so that he had replacements for a while. He got to enjoy it for 1 evening before it went completely missing, and we have not found it since. That annoyed me because 1, he barely got to play with it, and 2, it was something I bought years ago that probably isn't manufactured anymore that I wanted him to habe, and 3, my other half had been pestering me to get him some games to play with.

So as a parent myself, I would want you to be able to enjoy that doll because your time with it was cut short when she crashed.

2020-08-13 19:17:39

Get it!  Here's the thing!  You're not hurting anyone!  You're not even hurting yourself!  It's not like you're going to spend the rest of your life playing with it!  It's not like you're adicted to it and you're not going to be able to function without it!  You want to relive a childhood memory for a bit and that's ok!  I still watch the power rangers; got done watching green with evil last night, actually.  Who's it making a difference to?  Not a single person.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-08-14 00:46:08

We spend shit loads of time being adults, nothing wrong with getting in touch with your inner child once in a while.

Probably better for your creativity too. Adults are sooooo boring!

Honestly, I'd love to tell you what I get up to when nobody's watching, because then you'd never feel silly again, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that to be on the internet for ever haha.

Seriously, buy the doll, and be happy. If your "friends" can't be happy that you are happy, fuck 'em, and meet some people who have actually managed to distance themselves from their herd instincts.

Since me and my wife went Vegan, we've been facing these questions a lot (why do you, how can you, why don't you do what everyone else does, why do you insist on being different), because people feel it's their right to question every food and life choice we now make. It's not quite the same thing, but I reckon everyone loves to play with stuff, and I think when confronted by adults who are open about their love for children's toys, other adults are forced to face what this article calls "cognitive dissonance".

Number 15 had it almost right, except... who cares if you take your doll with you wherever you go? Some people won't be out without their cigarettes, or a sneaky can of beer, or their vape, or a razor blade, or a sodding gun. Millions of people insist on banging coffee down their faces every day, so who cares if you get addicted to something that you enjoy, has no negative side effects, and makes you a bit happier? Who would knowingly choose to make themselves less happy?

Also... in the case of the gun example, at least Amazing Alison won't go off when you feel threatened and take some poor bugger's legs off.

Finally, in a world where the vast majority of people seem to think it's OK to go out with their friends, and spend 85% of their time on their phone, who wouldn't want to escape other peoples' idiocy for a while.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2020-08-14 01:26:24

There's 9 people that said yes but they haven't commented. How strange.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-08-14 03:13:56

Lol the worst she would do is complain because a smoothie wasn't good or something.

2020-08-14 05:17:58

I wish I had lots of toys to play with during my childhood, but no. Back to the topic, no matter what age you're at, you never too old to get toys.

2020-08-14 08:34:18

I tend to agree with the majority of these votes. I still have Amazing Amanda, from the same company as Allison. I got her from my great-grandmother as a Christmas present, and I've kept her with me since then. Her accessories went missing a long time ago, and her mouth doesn't move anymore, but she is still kind of fun. Who would turn away from something that wants all the hugs they can give? It goes without saying, I like hugs.

2020-08-14 14:24:02

Guys, i want bopit.
If bopit is in Poland, i'll order one because it'll be fun.
And, thanks for convincing me that toys aren't only for kids! Atleast onw when my brother wil recieve an interactive toy and i wil be the first to check it out i'll just tell anyone who says i'm a kid that more people are like me rofl

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2020-08-14 20:40:19

Hey, interactive toys are the best. At least something I'll be able to talk to won't spread rumors that I'm dating my best friend.

2020-08-14 21:05:30 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-08-14 21:11:38)

I've got a neat collection of Bopits, though not like a superfan collection, just the games that I liked. I remember getting my XT in like... 2013? And I had literally no idea what to do, then I had to learn the actions manually and figure:
"Hey, when he says 'pull it', you slide out this foot-lookin' thing."
Um, was I the only one who first thought the pull-it handle kinda looked like a foot? Anyway, I got to 30, and was significantly pleased with myself, then I beat it some years later. And then I got the Simon Swipe, Micro Simon (which is still fun for a palm-held game, then in no particular order: Bopit Tetris, Bopit Smash, Bopit Remake, and... my personal favourite, Bopit Beats.
And slightly off-topic, but I like to have a revisit at all the shows I watched as a kid too, though I'd never actually share that with anyone personal.
Also, who was the voice actress for that doll? Just curious.
Also once again, I think I heard the doll refer to its owner with... "pickle"? Can you change that? Or are you always known as pickle?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-08-14 22:19:18

I say yes. I'm eighteen years old and will turn nineteen this October. I'm too old for things like Bop It and Simon. A little OT, but I'm also too old for cartoons

2020-08-14 22:26:38

if you don't let it interfere with your adult life it's ok. I am struggling to keep my priorities on top. If I didn't have to do college classes in my home, I would have a lot more success.