2020-06-24 11:13:47

If people want to discuss it here, they're free to do so until Jayde closes it.
It's obviously something people have opinions on, so let's hear them ...

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2020-06-24 11:21:44

what do you mean of title change?

2020-06-24 13:22:56

Just so we're clear, I have zero problem discussing title changes, or at the very least, whether or not a title may need to be updated for everyone. This is true so long as discussion is what it is. I'm always in favour of discussion done in good faith.

What I was not going to stand still for was Alireza's trollish topic where he was clearly trying to get attention and cast doubt or negativity upon Haily. This is why his thread got closed. Most of you probably saw that coming.

This discussion must remain civil. If I start seeing comments about how Haily is getting preferential treatment, or if her gender is needlessly invoked for any reason, I can and will react to it. There is nothing more that needs to be said for Haily's situation. We decided as a staff team to grant her a slightly changed title until such time that she accrues enough posts to get to the next rank, at which point she'll go back to the default rank. This is a done deal. It hurt no one. Your negative opinions will not change the facts nor cause the decision to be revoked. I humbly ask that, even if you do not ultimately agree with what was done, you don't make further issue out of it. It's over. Nobody got hurt. Let it go.

As for the overall issue of title changes, or updates to ranks or whatnot? As I said, this is a perfectly valid topic of discussion, so have on.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-06-24 13:30:17

I think Jayde needs a title change. XD.

I used to be an aventurer like you. Then I took a knee in the arrow.

2020-06-24 14:42:54

OK, so 2 things come to mind.

1. In light of the recent Crazy Party controvercy, and now the threat of it being removed, would we have to eventually replace the pragmatic party professional rank? Or leave it?
2. Dragon King can also be changed, but with that logic the entire game name would have to be changed.

That's all i could notice for now.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-06-24 14:43:19

Also Papa Sangre plaything. That can be a iffy one as well.

_____

2020-06-24 15:19:56

It's a complex issue overall. The ranks are supposed to be lighthearted, and speaking personally, I just sort of ignore them, but I know that's not true for all of them. I actually only like a few of them, and I dislike a few as well (not going to single out names at this point, I don't want to step on toes). The point is, figuring out whether we need to restructure ranks entirely, change names, etc., is a good question. Me, in my own little bubble, I'd say no, but I'm very clearly not the only one with a valid opinion here. I think the best thing at the moment is simply to address individual problems on a case-by-case basis, but if enough of you really are upset by certain rank titles, then let's talk about those.

I think if we end up going forward changing any of these, by the way, it should be because many people, not just a vocal set of two or three, had problems someplace.

If you're suggesting I get a title change, that's awfully nice of you. To suggest that I deserve a custom title or some such. I'm just concerned that it would be counterintuitive, because my administrator title wouldn't show.

2020-06-24 15:58:59

These topics are so weird.  If you had told me five years ago that all these names and ranks and such were going to be the subject of heavy contention, I'd have told Dark never to bother creating topics to try and give us more ranks.  Maybe we should have just stuck to a more generic naming convention, if in fact one was needed at all, since at present all the ranks really do is showcase a game and nothing about the gamers/forumites in question.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-06-24 16:02:32

Lol Jayde. Just messing with you.

2020-06-24 16:35:25

Jayde wrote:

Charlie can be a name for a female, yes, but it's not anywhere near as common.
And it's Haily (H-a-I-l-y). Please make an effort to spell it correctly.
Alireza, you are on the very edge of behaviour that would constitute a warning. This was a straight-up troll attempt. My gut says to warn you anyway, but none of the rules explicitly forbids this sort of foolishness, although they should.

... what is this? There are many spellings of the name Haily. I've seen so many variations on it ... you going to comment this about every misspelled name on the forum? I'd actually like it if you did, but consistancy man ... consistancy.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2020-06-24 16:37:43 (edited by Quin 2020-06-24 16:37:59)

Yes 10, there are. But 'Haley' isn't one of them.

2020-06-24 16:41:47

I suspect that a very small minority of folks are going to take issue with some of the titles, while the rest will either be trying to make a point, or suggesting that anyone so offended should simply get over themselves. At least that's what I've seen so far. We have one person so far (Haily) who expressed displeasure at a title, and nearly everyone else who responded did so only to make it clear to the rest of us that they didn't care. Yesterday's recreated topic was dumb. It was dumb not because the concern is invalid or the request unreasonable. It was dumb because Alireza was mocking Haily.

2020-06-24 16:49:22

@12 you presume to know the intention behind ops post ... which is funny because I read it differently. Subjectivity is an interesting thing.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2020-06-24 16:57:20

First, the ranks don't mean anything. i am not sure why we have them. Second, if a title offends you get over yourself. It is just a title. I am not offended when someone asks me if I saw that, or if I watched that show last night. At the end of the day, the title is a group of words. A group of words can only offend you if you let it. If you don't like it, you are free to leave. In general, I don't like that one forum member got a title change when almost everyone else was against it.

2020-06-24 17:02:19

@13 Really? Isn't it obvious? He created a thread with quite literally the same exact title as the one Haily created, with precisely the same concern Haily voiced. Plus he posted later on in the thread and made it clear what he was getting at. Thus I can see no scenario where that is anything other than what it looks like.

2020-06-24 17:04:56

Alireza pretty much admitted that he had no problem with the title he claimed to take issue with. In other words, he was trolling. He was doing it to get back at someone he sees as a troll. And who created a topic with that same name and similar contents not so very long ago? Who would he best be mocking by mimicking her style and subject matter? It's pretty evident to me.

Sorry, but when it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's not a pig. That's why I closed the thread and said what I did.

Remember, I'm not saying he was warn-worthy for misspelling Haily's name. It's just that a screenreader will generally pronounce Haley and Haily differently, plus he was also sort of antagonizing her by all accounts (why mention Charlie at all? Her choice to use a completely new name is her own, and shouldn't be challenged by folks here). It seemed possible, likely even, that it was a passive-aggressive little jab, because unfortunately that user is well known for such things; the very thread I locked is an excellent example. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't put it past AlirezaNosrati to misspell someone's name on purpose after passingly invoking that person's deadname for no reason purely to further the trolling, which was already well and truly begun by mimicking Haily's grievance and post name. That thread was never a legitimate issue that deserved any close scrutiny on its intended basis.

So do I correct all spelling mistakes? Lord no. Probably thirty to forty percent of you spell my name wrong, and I don't give a rip. But in this specific instance, I thought there was good reason to flag it, not as warning-worthy but as something to be aware of going forward. I stand by that.

2020-06-24 17:42:58

I also hate to say it, but you know, something very obvious worth pointing out is that not all languages have same pronunciation rules as English, and what might be an obvious pronunciation difference in English might not be the case in some other language.

2020-06-24 17:44:20

I actually know 3 female Charlies, plus, lets not forget the show goodluck Charlie.

_____

2020-06-24 18:07:02

I feel like there's a little bit of deflection going on here with this name. The experience I have with this kind of transition is exactly the same as zero, but I would assume going from one identity to another wouldn't include bringing along vestiges of where you were coming from. It seems like it would serve as a constant reminder of who you used to be, and who people still believe you should be. That can't be good.

2020-06-24 18:13:08

I've dealt with people who have gone through gender transition. For most of them, the very last name they want to use is the one they were given, because it represents a gender they are now rejecting, one that was forced on them in accordance with their biological sex. Whether or not Charlie is also a female name is irrelevant at this point. It's not even a germain point of discussion.

And you're quite right, LordLundin. Many non-English languages do have different pronunciation rules. I'm referring to the screenreader itself though. Personally, my screenreader says Haily to rhyme with "daily", and Haley to sound a great deal like "holly". It just looks awfully convenient that those who more often misspell Haily's name are also the ones taking issue with it and dragging it up when it's not part of the argument. That is not true for absolutely everyone, nor in every case, but it's jumping out at me enough that there is some pattern here.

2020-06-24 18:53:18

I literally can't tell the difference. My voice over pronounces them exactly the same. But yeah. He is probably trans fobic.

2020-06-24 19:38:23

I think I know the solution to this, let's shut down the rank system completely. Why keep it when it's a system based on inequality? Why should I have an other rank just because I posted more than other forum members? This is not fair, we should all be equal and have only one rank. What I mean by this is that you get the more awesome ranks only when you have thousands of posts so it's hard to get them and you feel invincible, you feel you are a higher class than the regular users treating them like little children. If names and colours like black can not be used to describe people because it's racist who are we to decide that a number of posts  give you a higher rank?
Remember, afro-american's lives matter! Btw, I live near the afro-american sea. LOL

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2020-06-24 19:52:37

22, I hope that was satire

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-06-24 20:10:33 (edited by George_Gaylord 2020-06-24 20:13:46)

For christ sake people, if you're going to make racist jokes, at least make them funny. All you do by writing those kinds of posts is make people wanna punch you in the face.

And what do you mean by the Afrocan american sea? My European geography sucks, but the sea that borders europe is either the Atlantic, or the Mediterranean. The latter of which borders North Africa, and Europe. Not America. The former of which borders america, not africa. Please illaberate

_____

2020-06-24 20:18:53

agreed with  24. Racist jokes can be funny in the right context, as long as everyone knows you don’t mean it. But that kind just isn’t humor. This could be a language barrier thing though

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality