2020-06-24 20:21:21

It is a joke that's been around my country this year. I live near the black sea but, it seems that using the word black gets frowned upon these days so we say we live near the afro-american sea. I hope you get it now.
BTW, my post was intended as a joke regarding the world situation and how ridiculous things are getting.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2020-06-24 20:29:01

Oh that sea.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-06-24 20:29:56

OK now that makes much more sense

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-06-24 20:34:31 (edited by George_Gaylord 2020-06-24 20:35:51)

Hey, take it from a black person. If done correctly, a racist joke can be toss me off the banisterfunny, and I actually quite enjoy them. When you live in a place like where I live, yule hear quite a few racist jokes, but at the end of the day, its just a joke. That being said, there are times where people just over does it and it no longer becomes funny and instead goes into realistic racism territory.

_____

2020-06-25 02:57:02

Why are we still talking about this. Either shut the ranks down entirely or rename them to something more generic.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-06-25 03:00:10 (edited by Nocturnus 2020-06-25 03:01:07)

I still think it's a good idea, jokes aside, and was what I was after with post 8 though I didn't outright say it.  If you throw away the ranks, which are not reflective of anything other than the fact that someone can be super submit button happy you won't have this issue.  I honestly think the karma system is more reflective at present, because while thumbs down is not an option, someone still has to thumbs up you and your posts in order for you to get it.  I never imagined when I found out about the system that I'd get to 1003, but I must have done something right because I never go around telling people to thumbs up anything I write and people are still doing it.  Even if you do tell people to do it, they still have to actually do it... I mean, you can't thumbs up your own post.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-06-25 03:18:33

Actually, if you use a VPN you can thumbs yourself up.

_____

2020-06-25 04:12:40

I really don’t see how the rank system is harming anyone. It’s an automatically generated title on a forum that you don’t even have to look at. It isn’t Miss Gendering  anyone, it isn’t even personal. It is literally just an indication of how many times you’ve posted. If that offends you, that’s more a mental health issue than it is anything to do with the titles.

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-06-25 05:07:31

@33, by that same logic it's not helping anyone either.  It's just a pointless and absolutely meaningless system which has brought up a pointless discussion.  Because you don't have to look at it and it won't make any difference if you do or don't look at it, it really serves no purpose other than to be there.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-06-25 05:35:36

Then the question is weather to be or not to be

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-06-25 05:36:10

My personal opinion is that people take things entirely too far. As was said many times, the ranks are just for fun and are based on audiogames. They're not meant to trigger or misgender anyone. Taking them away because they might offend someone is, quite honestly, rather silly. There's trying to ensure that everyone feels comfortable here, and then there's letting people dictate what sorts of things we can and can't have because they can't deal with them for one reason or another. The latter really rubs me the wrong way, because it feels like a double standard in a lot of cases. I'm talking about people who call for equality and such, and then turn around and try to impose their views and such on everyone else until society fits with how they feel things should be.

that said, I'll never say something akin to deal with it or leave, because people do have feelings and those feelings matter. There should be options for people who find ranks offensive. So, here are options that I've thought of. I have no idea how doable these are though.

1. Everyone could have the ability to request a temporary rank each time their post count reaches a rank that's automatically given. They would be stuck with this new rank until the next one. Either that or they could set one themselves, but it'd still be limited to once per normal rank change. Something would have to be done to ensure that people with existing custom ranks don't lose them unless this is done by hand like name changes, however. It's similar to changing ranks on a case by case basis, but anyone could request one for any reason within that limit.

2. There could be an option to hide your rank. You'd still see other people's ranks, but no one would see yours. Problem solved, probably.

3. Profiles could have a gender option, and ranks could be given based on gender. Maybe we could have slight differences for some, such as playgirl, queen, etc. We'd also need some for nonbinary folk. This one would honestly take a ton of work though.

2020-06-25 06:13:19 (edited by Zarvox 2020-06-25 06:13:36)

@31 correction, 1004 now. Lol

2020-06-25 06:37:09

double correction, 1005

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-06-25 09:34:47

Honestly, I think the easiest thing to do is what I've been saying from the start. Tweak individual ranks as needed for users who ask for it and have grounds to have an issue, but otherwise to leave the system itself alone. After all, if a rank is calling -you a playboy when you're female, that could be mildly or moderately triggering, but if it's misgendering someone else, that really shouldn't bother anyone except either 1. the person who's being mislabelled or 2. someone with honest-to-goodness OCD or autism who does not like things with inappropriate labels. I don't think either of those cases necessitates the changing of an entire system at this point, especially given that Haily represents something of an edge case. I want to leave the door open for future edge cases without having to totally destroy a system which is otherwise unharmful.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-06-25 11:13:57 (edited by Mayana 2020-06-25 11:16:56)

Nocturnus wrote:

(...)at present all the ranks really do is showcase a game and nothing about the gamers/forumites in question.

That is a good point. Makes me wish this forum had something like the system TVTropes has. There, you can't currently have custom ranks, but there is a very long list of titles (called relationship statuses) that you can select from, generally based on tropes or well-known shows. If this forum had something like this, with a decent number of titles about games, then there would be several benefits:

1. People would actually get to show which game they are the most fond of. I'd probably grab 7th code hacker, as much as I dislike the rank name itself, because of course. tongue

2. People would have enough options to choose from that rank-changing requests like Haily's could be resolved by the members themselves. Less workload on the admins, hopefully.

3. And since there would be several ranks to choose from, the admins could decide that custom ranks would no longer be a thing at all, meaning even less work, as well as no risk of inappropriate titles. I'd still love it if we could have rank contests every so often, though.

Of course, that's never going to happen, even if it is possible on this software. But hey, a girl can dream, right?

So since that's not an option, I'm yet another person in the Doesn't Give A Shit camp. I used to care back when Haily requested a title change, but Jayde's and Nocturnus's posts have successfully convinced me that I don't have to.

So if it is decided that these silly ranks are actually so problematic and should be completely rehauled or abolished, well, OK. Rest in piece, little scribbles. I'll still have the Karma to give me some false feeling of worth. smile

And a bit OT, but since we're apparently talking about this now, I'd just like to confirm that Haley, Haily, hailey, hayley, Hayly,, and the like all sound the same here, using Male 7 of eSpeak. Of course, I usually check (and more often than not, copy-paste) people's names out of basic respect, but I'm willing to give Alireza the benefit of the doubt here and assume that his misspelling was not intentional.

The trolling, however, definitely was, and I cannot see how else people could view it. Even if I still cared about Haily's rank, I would've found that topic uncool, because let's be honest, it was just adding fuel to the flames of drama. For what? To prove a point? It did not change anyone's mind. It just made people with the same opinion go "Lol, I know right?" and the rest annoyed, which was supposed to be funny ... somehow?

Hmm. More than 400 words. Damn. Clearly, I do still care somewhat ... smile

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-06-25 13:15:01

@36. agreed.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-06-25 13:31:25

Have to agree with @40 here, at least for the most part. Something I find somewhat ironic though, most of the people saying this isn't a big deal and I should just get over myself are also the ones adding to a, currently two pages long, discussion about it. Clearly these titles are a bigger deal than these people would like to admit if they feel the need to get so worked up over the possibility of them being compromised.
I would be fully on board with the idea of having a list of titles based on games that people could select. Sadly however, due to the limits of punBB, this would most likely have to be handled manually by the admins. I hope they at least consider it though, it's certainly something I'd like to see implemented. Better yet, a rank system based on user karma would, IMO, be the best way to go. It can't and won't be done though, because punBB.

2020-06-25 14:28:19

I say, if you get triggered over something displayed by a piece of software, dump you in a third world country for a week and see if maybe you don't come to realize there are more important things to worry about. This is just silly.

A good solution might be that each user can set their gender in their profile, and for every rank that has a gender component, you can deal with that. Gender options would be male, female, and neuter or nonbinary as you like. So let's take Playroom Playboy. In the rank field where you go to make new ranks, you could write it like this: Playroom Play(%m=boy|%f=girl|%n=thing) Then it would display correctly as long as you've set your gender to reflect how you identify.

But yeah the whole web admins never being here thing strikes again. No matter if we were to collectively come up with a genius solution for any forum issue, it'll simply never be implemented. So, might as well expend brain power in other ways.

Oh, and then there's the fact that eventually, someone would set their gender to nonbinary, they would look and see that they have reached Playroom Plaything and gasp, a rush of fear and anger causing them to shudder violently. Then they'd write up their message about how it's not fair that they be portrayed as a, "thing". How everyone's horrible and they hate themselves and want to die. So really, it's a lose/lose.

What can be done under the current system is just to make them more generic, have maybe 4 or 6, and have done with it. After you pass say 500 posts over the last rank, you're entitled to apply for a custom one.

I do think that a problem of modern times is people have forgotten how to wind down. They're taking work home with them, and on top of that, they have other responsibilities. For each thing that they must deal with in a day, there is a cost associated with it. It builds up, and their nerves become frayed and maybe that's a part of why people are so god damned nutty these days. There's a simple solution though. Go outside. But don't just go outside and take your laptop with you or your iPad or whatever. Go outside, find a park with some trees, a patch of woods or something. Find a big tree and sit under it and just listen. Seriously, that's all it takes.

No, I hear the wheels turning in your tech-addicted minds, a nature skill on your talking tube won't help. It's not about just hearing the sounds, it's about the entire experience. Allow the earth to recharge you. For as much as we've built concrete jungles and polluted and done all these things, there is still plenty of majesty to be found on this planet, so go out and find it and let it carry away all that bullshit.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-06-25 16:12:25

@43 thumbs up from me. What you suggest should be really be used more around this forum. Even 10 minutes spent in total disconnect from technology, relaxing the mind and body, can help ones mental state greatly. These days, people are so immersed into the internet and technology that some forget there is a life outside just waiting to be experienced.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2020-06-25 16:51:19

I agree with 43.

2020-06-25 17:12:48

Good onya, 43, and that's why I mostly gave up social networking and following the news on a regular basis.

2020-06-25 19:02:04

Ironcross, I won't presume to say what should and shouldn't trigger folks, but I agree with most of the rest of what you said. If I catch myself getting overwhelmed, I try and find something that specifically relaxes me. Sometimes that's what it takes. Disconnecting from the source of what's bugging you and getting away for a bit. For some, that's harder to do than for others, and we've all been experiencing physical distancing lately, so that certainly hasn't been easy.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-06-25 19:23:28

Hello, I am jaide.

Just so we're clear, I have zero problem discussing title changes, or at the very least, whether or not a title may need to be updated for everyone. This is true so long as discussion is what it is. I'm always in favour of discussion done in good faith.
What I was not going to stand still for was when simter, jimmy and jaidon told vallit critic points about me in the public, redspot should come back topic. Hmm how can i keep them quiet. Ah i just close the topic and say it was drama, i mean my golden reputation could go down. And then another user wants to discus it o i just say that i don't want to talk about it to keep all the criticisers quiet. Hopefully bsg is not looking at this forum anymore.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2020-06-25 19:41:19

This song has always spoken to me. And I mean that was 44 years ago, it's gotten much much worse now. People don't seem to understand that a fundamental part of their existence is their connection with the earth.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-06-25 19:42:29

@48 that was just dumb, there isn't a single redeemable point in that entire post.

End racism
End division
Become united