2020-05-20 21:33:33

It's probably due to that content ID system. If the system can't identify the material, it can't flag it. Someone would have to make a claim which would have to be reviewed. This is just a guess.

Thumbs up

2020-05-20 23:13:19 (edited by Zarvox 2020-05-20 23:19:39)

My rhythm rage level creator is composed of operating system sounds, mainly Apple. Does this count as stealing assets as well? I am willing to change them if so. Also I should mention the sounds are not encrypted.

One other question. If rhythm rage is invested under rule 3, would my project still be allowed on here? I ask because the manual does give a direct download to rhythm rage.

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 00:09:47

Actually, this brings into view something that's not only been addressed here but on the other thread about attempting to deal with this. The greatest flaw of society and laws. If no one notices a legal violation, it can't be punished. Of course, relying on that principle is risky, but ignoring it gives an incomplete picture of things. That being said, I never thought this would happen, but I think I am with Jayde in full on this topic. Never thought I'd ever type those words considering on how many topics we've clashed on in the past. On the matter of copyright, I think we might be in near  complete agreement. It's a sucky and broken law, but one we have to deal with sooner or later. That being said, I'd be in complete favor of at least a re-consideration of exceptions. As to which way that reconsideration should go is another matter entirely, but eventually we will be forced to do so anyways. It just depends on what forces our hand. Also, we should consider an initiative to change international law, but that would only be possible if we could get more clout.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 02:07:31

I'm posting this in both topics to further Jayde's point. I know I had a conflicted view on this before, but I think I understand things a bit more clearly now. Do you guys remember This topic about a game I made using the Sonus GDE? If you've got the time, go through all the sounds and listen to them. Each and every sound in that game is created by me. For the robot speaking, I wrote the text in Balabolka using Robosoft 2 and saved it as an ogg file, so technically I did create those sounds myself. My point behind this is that you really don't need to use the sounds that everyone else is using to make a good game. The fact that you don't have sound effects created in a studio and can't afford to obtain them legally should not affect your ability to make a good game. Crazy Party has no excuses, especially considering how the community was ready to pitch in and help make the game more legal. In fact, it seems as if only a loud-mouthed 10% of the current player base would actually stop playing the game if the sounds were changed. If I'm being honest with you, those people wouldn't be worth it, given how they're probably the same people who rage quit in the middle of a game just because they're not getting their way or because you're trying to talk to them, or they join other peoples games just to troll. Digressing, there was no reason why the sounds could not have been replaced. Quite honestly, I'm disappointed. I'm disappointed that Pragma seemed to not care about the fact that this game could be banned from AGNet, and I'm especially disappointed that he said no even after people spent money to try to bring this project to life. At the end of the day, it's his game and he has full control over whatever he decides to do. Even so, I'm disappointed in him.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2020-05-21 09:53:32 (edited by targor 2020-05-21 10:02:56)

@104 Wow. Weren't you the one who defended the old sounds the most? You said they are the whole point of the game and without them, the whole hype of the game is gone and that replacing all the sounds is taking away the pokemon and mario party vibes? Now you're disappointed in exactly those people and label people who don't want to play with the new sounds not worth it since they probably are trolls anyway? Changing your opinion is the whole point of a discussion, but this disappointment seems awfully hypocritical.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 10:11:19

@104, that was... Ah I have no words. If I were Pragma, I wouldn't care if my game would be banned from AG NET. Is this forum a while world? No, it isn't. I tell you.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-05-21 17:58:08

i gotta agree with post 105 and 106, i can't say much about that, just the fact that it makes no sense what so ever

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2020-05-21 18:15:37

Thanks for the assumption that most people who disagree are trolls. That includes a developer, a contributor, and a translator, as well as probably a lot of people who played and enjoyed the game before this forum even knew a single thing about it. At least we aren't copyright trolls though thank god. With all due respect, comparing a small Sonus GDE project to CP is just funny, nothing else. VG storm has one free game AAC, with no illegal assets, and even that doesn't come close to the size of CP. So try finding something a bit more comparable to Crazy party next time. You probably won't though, until we go the Japanese games route.

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 18:47:58

well, I won't start pouncing on dan for what he said, it's dan, and only he knows why he said it. But I am for the game, and I still hold it strongly that the sounds are a staple to the comunity, even to those who don't know about the actual franchise themselves. someone said in page or two a go, that it's not the reason of piracy, or copyright, the reason why you're pushing this so far, and the reason why it stings to alot of us, is we only want to actually get a chance to play games that our familys, not to mention big franchises, left us out on. you see? It's these sounds, rite here! not to mention gameplay and stability, that keeps us as blind gamers, hooked! I am not a rager at all in games, noone can peg me on that. I am for the game, but even if he were to change the sounds to crazy party, he should also change the name, as it won't really be crazy party anymore. The thing that not alot of you understand is, crazy party, was ment to be this way! doesn't matter about expences, don't yall think if he wanid it to be diffrent, he would have done something about it? It's this kind of persistance, that he's trying to do. Yall see, he's not pushing the piracy trane, but something much more. Oh and @jayde, sorry to make asumbtions of you, didn't know you play. But that's why asumptions are there rite? To be corrected if anything.

My chiptune archive is https://chiparchive.com/files/.
And the new sync key is
BQHTXTVRWGMFSI3BI3ZVQ4TGEOGNJJO64
Twitter is https://twitter.com/thechiptunearc1?lang=en

2020-05-21 20:09:51

I'll finally post on one of these topics, as I feel that the non-vocal majority deserves an opinion too! tongue
Personally, I think that the sounds for crazy party could do with a change. I don't have the skills to help with this kind of project however, and the dev seems kinda uninterested.
Given that most people know where to get the game now though, and checking back once a month or so for updates isn't a huge hardship, I'm also completely fine with ag.net removing the game. I disagree personally, and will still keep playing; however since I don't run the site, nor do I have any moderation power whatsoever, I'll keep my disagreement to this one post, just not talk about cp here (as if I talked much anyways,) and get what I can out of this place still.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 20:52:10

If you are totally blind, you are never going to get to actually play Mario Party successfully. No matter how hard you try, that's just the way it is. There are dozens of other games this is true for as well.
Pokémon is a different story, admittedly, since while accessibility is up and down, and you'll never get the complete picture, you can still play most main series pokemon games as a blind person.

Juan, what it sounds like you're saying is that because Pragma has given people a chance to play an approximate version of one or both of these games, his sounds should be left alone. By this logic, someone in the community should be able to pirate a bunch of Final Fantasy assets and make a Final Fantasy clone. Or Legend of Zelda. Or Mortal Kombat. Or any of half a hundred other franchises. Except, that's not a good idea precisely because it's using pirated assets.

If the Japanese community can produce free audio games with lush soundscapes, and can evoke a certain feel while doing it, then I daresay so can we. Take Shadow Rine, for instance. It pretty much has a basic SNES-style action RPG vibe, and even though it's not stealing hundreds of sounds, it does a great job.

I'm sorry, but the argument that Pragma's game needs pirated assets in order to be a good game is just weak, and it doesn't work. Remember, I've played both this game and experienced some of the original source material here. Does borrowing those assets help immediately evoke a certain vibe? Well sure it does. I won't deny that. But is that necessary for playing the game? Not at all.

Here's where I say something you folks really won't like though.
The reason I say that this whole thing is a slap in Pragma's face is very simple. Basically, what Pragma wants to do is make a game that's very very similar in almost every way to Mario Party or Pokémon, and one of the shortcuts he used to achieve mass appeal is by using pirated assets. Basically, most games have to fly on their own laurels to some extent. They need to succeed or fail on their own merits. But what Pragma did, in essence, was to use a ton of someone else's work and say "Hey, see, my game is just like theirs!". You folks talk about how hard it would be to replace those hundreds of sounds; yeah, uh, how hard do you think it was to -create those hundreds of assets in the first place? Basically, anybody who's spouting the "these pirated assets are necessary" party line is arguing that it's okay to shortcut your way to success by stealing somebody else's work. Last I checked, we're...really kind of against that in the audio gaming community.

And perhaps the reason at a glance that something like AA's sound pack doesn't get quite the same attention, BTW? Yes, it's full of copyrighted assets, no argument there. But there is a game without that sound pack. You can play AA without the sound pack and the game itself is essentially unchanged. AA doesn't live or die by its pirated assets. But by the argument that continues to crop up, apparently CP does. While you may think this is a strength, it's actually a weakness, and really shows off the lack of originality and willingness to steal, so long as it's in the apparently good cause of evoking nostalgia.

Now let's take this one step further.
What if my reason for stealing assets is because I want to make a game but don't have money? Is that okay?
What if it's because I really really really freaking love these certain pieces of music and I want you to experience the game a certain way, but I know I'm just not going to be Nobuo Uematsu's equal? Is that okay?
What if I just felt like it? Is that okay too? Really give this some thought, folks.

Really, what some of you have arbitrarily decided is that nostalgia is a good enough reason to tolerate piracy. Why is that? Really sit down and chew on it. If we're supposed to be improving as a community, why are some of us saying that nostalgia, or trying to mimic the sound of another game, actually makes a good audio game? By this argument, really most of our attention should be on ripping sounds from popular projects, slapping on a fresh coat of paint and calling them by slightly different names. Clearly, this is the key to popularity and success.

Never mind that whatever you might think of a faceless corporation, there were actually individuals in those projects who worked like dogs to create some of the things you know and love. Never mind that the gaming industry in general is chock-full of stories of companies treating their employees badly, of harsh deadlines, of unrealistic expectations, and of employees who are overworked, undercompensated and prone to mental health problems because of unreasonable working conditions. Never mind that we're absolute death on clones because they steal code. Why is stealing code so bad but stealing sounds is not?

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

Thumbs up +4

2020-05-21 21:17:48 (edited by Stealthy 2020-05-21 21:23:58)

Hello everybody!
so, two  things here.
I understand about the piracy, game sunds ETC.
fHow evre, it was not necissery to take down richa's IPA guide, it is totaly legal to jailbreak, by law.
Secondly dude, you called Dan's arguement bullshit, and of course that's your opinion. How evre, people apart form yourself who have said something like this have been warned for personal attacks. So, I think you lost it a bit with that poast, and maybe apoligizing to him woudln't hurt too much.
Anyways that's it.

My main interest is tech.
Follow me on twitter if you would like, my username is @stealthy153

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 22:36:06

If you can give me an example of where someone was warned for calling an argument bullshit, please let me know.
I try to be very, very careful to tear someone's argument apart, and I try very hard not to attack them personally.
DanGero is not a bad person because he made a bad argument.
That said, if you can provide evidence of what you're saying that's comparable enough, then not only will I apologize, I will update the punishment thread to give myself a warning.

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 23:34:15

@Jayde, lets play devils advocate for a bit though, shall we?  I mean, in the sake of unbiased neutrality blah blah blah?  I think you and I can agree CP is just a huge sound clone now... You've said it.
but, have you ever listened to graphic audio?  Have you ever noticed how a ton of what you hear sounds similar to things you've heard before?  That's because whether you're listening to GA books or stuff made by focus on the family or other reputable places that redramatize things, all of them borrow from the same stupid stock sound libraries, over and over and over again.  Yes, I'm with you here, CP is a huge sound clone; lets just call it a replicated wall of soundbits.  I guess the question I wish I could answer is, who should we place the blame on in this matter?
You brought up the point in 111 that AA would still survive if the mush-z soundpack were pulled; do you really believe that?  Do you think that the writing that has gone into AA would sustain those who have learned to live by all the sounds the text currently triggers and doggedly persist in playing just because its AA and it has enough original descriptions of things?
But on the flip side of the coin?  Dropping the copyright aspect out of the discussion for the time being, let me get just a little more personal with you.  Supposing this were perfectly legal; supposing you had no reason to consider this matter as an admin for ag net and you didn't have to think about whether or not all these sounds could get you into any kind of trouble because you're using them to play a game that I imagine did at the very least take a fair amount of time to code, and which others have played through to obtain its many unlockables and whatnot, would you still consider the matter of it being a replicated wall of soundbits an issue, or would you blissfully play?
Are you seeing what I'm getting at here?  Isn't it interesting to you, as it is to me, that we'll willingly shell out money to listen to a GA book or other such production regardless of how many familiar sounds it has in it, all from reputable stock sound libraries, and forgive them for replicating and re-replicating and hashing and rehassing it over and over again, but when it comes to a game that doesn't intend to make a million we're sitting around arguing on how much of an impact it makes on a billion dollar industry and whether or not we should rip it out of the hands of those who have it and have access to it and want to continue receiving updates for it, by discouraging its availability on a site that is dedicated to promoting accessible and more importantly, audio games?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up +2

2020-05-22 00:15:47

Okay, Nocturnis, I'll bite.

Using the graphic audio example, I actually don't have a ton of experience, so I'll take your word for the fact that they reuse sounds over and over. My guess is that they have very likely purchased the sound libraries in which these sounds exist, such that by the terms of their license, they're free to use them as you describe. If there is evidence that this is not, in fact, the case, then I'd agree that's somewhat problematic.

Alter Aeon has dozens or even hundreds of sighted players who either use the D-client, or their own client of choice. My first four years on AA I spent not using MushZ because I didn't know it existed and, early on, it didn't exist in the form it does now. There are undoubtedly players who would not play without a sound pack, but the mud is thriving anyway. I mean hell, if you want something comparable, Aardwolf's writing is worse, its grind is less interesting, it's repetitive, and its quests are either banal or baffling, take your pick. Yet that game has over a hundred people logged in regularly. No sound pack. Clearly MUDs may benefit from sound packs but they don't require them.

Now, as for my personal feelings. Here's how I break it down.

I have no particular loyalty to the corporations themselves who make billions of dollars in profit. As entities, I feel they are often more harmful than good. Anti-capitalist bias is showing, but I don't care; you did ask. People shouldn't exploit workers and value money over well-being.

However, I also realize that within these corporations are people. In addition, sound assets, and music especially for me, represent artistry. As such, there are artists within Nintendo or other faceless corporations who have done some pretty amazing work. Many of them have become famous and are paid well for their services. Others are overlooked. Most nevertheless had to work extremely hard, and not always in good conditions, to bring us the sounds and music we enjoy.

Taking my admin-ness out of the situation, my view is quite simple. I played CP for awhile and just didn't think much about it. Then I started realizing just how many sounds and music bits were pirated, and it started to chew on me. It was then that I began to feel that Pragma was basically borrowing someone else's fame, riding their coat-tails, as it were, to bolster his own product. To be clear, he put in a lot of work with the coding and organization and all that, but most of the ideas aren't really his, most of the musical assets aren't his, and to my knowledge, most of the sound effects aren't either. Once I see a thing, I can't un-see it, so I began to have a much harder time supporting this game and its development, because frankly, if all you're really going to do is faithfully recreate someone else's game, borrow their assets without giving them proper compensation, and ultimately profit socially (not financially, that would be an entirely different thing), I find that unspeakably slimy. It is the sort of thing which makes me extremely wary of posting a music track I wrote for the scrutiny of the community, or of sharing my writing. People who feel it is okay to support this behaviour have proven that what matters, at least in that instance, is their nostalgia, or their happiness, and not ownership rights or moral integrity of artistry.

"But wait!", I hear some of you wanting to cry. "You're only on a crusade against Crazy Party because you don't personally agree with it!"
It's easy to say that, but it's not true.

I have had well over a year and a half to consider my stance, and whether or not my vocal attacks on its viability for this communitr are motivated primarily by either my desire to see the community safe, or because of personal bias. I have also spent the last two and a half years or so in a program of study which teaches us a lot of tricks concerning ways to distance yourself from a situation such that your bias - because we all have it - is minimized. I'm sure that mine shows from time to time, as well; I'm not a robot. However, I'm confident that my reason for being as loud as I've been is for the community's benefit. Even if Nintendo were to show up here and tell us that CP was never going to cause anyone any harm, I probably still wouldn't play much anymore. However, I would obviously stop trying to get it removed from the community, and if anyone gave us grief about it, I'd point out that we got official sanction to let it slide, and that it does not represent a willingness to tolerate copyrighted assets in the audiogames community and should thus not be represented as such.

Does that answer your questions?

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-22 00:54:24

I'm going to say it. It's going to piss people off, but the truth is the truth. Crazy party is, and will never be like mario, sonic, pokemon, or zelda. Few reasons why. First, these games have been around for 30 years. Crazy party has been around for about for 4 years. Second, it's coded in freaking bgt. Come on. Third, audio games are no where near main stream level. Fourth, Nintendo has hundreds or thousands of workers, full time as well. Crazy party is only a few people and not full time. Those are the obvious ones. The game is good for what it is. I like it. But don't even try to compare it to main stream games. You can't compare it to any of the games that the sounds are picked from, because it is nowhere close to them, no matter how hard you try to manipulate the audio game. So the whole idea of, the sounds makes it like the original game, is crap. I will tell you now, I loved those types of games when I was a kid. The years hen I had sight, I freaking obsessed on playing mario and zelda titles. Crazy party does not give me any memories of that. None. If you have always been completely blind, obviously you aren't getting the same feelings as I am because I could see what the game was like, I could see what the difference was. You all who have always been blind have had to imagine it, and it looks and sounds the same, so you think, it must be the same! But it's not even close.

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 01:13:05

I just want to chime in here real quick. I am totally blind, have been all my life, and I know it's not the same. It's similar. The genre is the same. That's cool. But this is why I've never bought the "sounds are what make the game" argument. They help, but the idea that they are fundamental is just not universal enough to be used as a talking point.

If I want pokemon nostalgia from my high school days, I don't play CP to hear pokemon songs. I go watch Let's Plays or other challenges, or speedruns. If I want to channel Mario, Zelda, Sonic, any of that stuff, I go to any number of places and do it that way. Crazy Party, even with my experience with watching folks play Mario Party, does not generate the nostalgia it apparently does for others.

Zarvox, thanks for the info. As someone who was formerly sighted, your perspective is definitely interesting and valuable.

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 01:18:07

@104, agree completely. There are bunch of free sights that offer royalty free sounds. Freesound.org, soundbible.com, among others, and those are just the free ones, the itunes store has a ridiculous number of sound albums, most; not all; but most; are $10. So. Are there options? Yes, if one is willing to look. Granted the sounds in freesound.org and soundbible.com might not be of say, hd quality as say, sound dogs, Hollywood soun effects, etc, but they can be worked with.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 01:29:18

I had very poor vision. But I got every ounce of gaming from those non cooperative eyes as I could lol

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 02:28:01

@Jayde, well thought and admirably delivered answer in 115.  for the record I just want to point out I wasn't trying to instigate but more leaning toward the whole trying to do what I used to do from a moderation standpoint back when I was on the panel.  I thought it would give the kids on the playground a chance to seriously see your stance for what it was and not what they think it is.  On the whole I think you hit home when you said it's a matter of social reputation now as opposed to actually trying to be artistically creative, particularly since it has been shown that a fair amount of the community would willingly step up to volunteer to the project, no small feat and no fun one either given the scope of the undertaking.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 02:35:43

Don't worry. I saw your questions for what they were and I didn't feel attacked in the slightest. Thanks for the help.

I was extremely disappointed to see Pragma's answer, because instead of wanting his game to be...well, his game, he just wants to make a sound clone and profit socially from it. As I said in a previous post, extremely slimy. But if this were all it was, and it was somehow legal, I'd have made that point and then been done. After all, I'm not here to make people quit playing if they enjoy it and don't have a problem with what Pragma's doing. I'm acting in defense of the forum, however, so that's why I vocally stand where I do.

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 02:53:05

Right. Well, regardless of our individual feelings about this, we need to do what's right according to copyright law if we want to avoid the forum getting into any legal trouble with 100% certainty. We can sit, stand, lie, cartwheel, levitate, jog, or whatever here depending on our preferences when accessing the forum and debate all we want, but we're getting nowhere fast. This is what I suggest, and it's likely going to anger quite a few people. Some of these things have already been suggested at one time or another.

1. Remove Crazy Party from the database until we can be sure it has no pirated sounds, and forbid anyone to link to it as per rule 3. No beating around the bush, no debates, just remove it and be done. End of discussion. People can still play it, and that should be good enough.

2. Refuse to add games to the database if they're found to have pirated sounds from well-known games, movies, TV shows, etc. We obviously can't do anything if they're stock sounds anyone can buy or download for free, but we can forbid games with obviously pirated sounds.

3. Refuse to add games to the database if they're based on an existing copyrighted work without a license. This means no Star Wars, Star Trek, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc.

4. Remove any and all existing games from the database that violate the last two on a case by case basis. This means no one would have to comb through the database unless they really want to, but some effort should be made. Yes, this also means Jim kitchen's games, GMA's Star Trek game, Clash of Lightsabers, etc. This is all or nothing here.

5. Do this as soon as possible so we can get back to discussing audiogames instead of going round and round in circular debates about copyright that make me want to slam my head into a wall. I mean... unless people like discussing that sort of thing. But for the love of all thins both holy and unholy, we need to take an official stance as a community and stay there.

Are some of these suggestions a bit draconian? Well, sure, but so is copyright law in a lot of instances. That's just the way it is right now.

Thumbs up 0

2020-05-22 03:10:56

I am very curious what happens if the copyright violator is dead. Namely, of course, Jim Kitchen's games. I suppose they could come back on the forum for linking to it, so I understand taking that step, but still. Yeah. Copyright law is very unfair and draconian the best you could hope for is a fair use argument, but even that has grey area. At the end of the day, you might be able to argue that Crazy Party falls under that scope, and the scales weigh into its favor due to being free and transformative to a degree. Ah well. What can you do?

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 03:37:21

Fair use is what I think of with things like this, but you know that lawyers are going to do everything in their power to argue against that. It's what their payed to do. Plus, I'm really not sure fair use would even apply to something like Crazy Party since it's a blatant attempt to copy something.

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 03:43:18

Fair use applies to stuff like listening and personal enjoyment. By trying to make a gaming experience and making it cooperative and competitive, Pragma pretty well blew any chance of a lawyer being able to permit CP on fair-use grounds to pieces. It's clearly not just for Pragma's personal enjoyment or for the sake of wanting to occasionally listen to music tracks. There's social benefits in creating a game, and copyright law feasts on this sort of thing.

Thumbs up