2020-05-22 07:23:17

Lol, your favorite japanese games also use sounds from various kinds of places, including Swamp. Pole axe, anyone?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-05-22 09:37:25

Hi.

At 126 lol well you know, shots against games only work if the games you're defending don't prove guilty of the same thing, which well, they do.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 15:32:04

Being that free Japanese games can't even be compared when it comes to replay value to their international free counterparts, I would argue the same is regarding sounds. By that logic, all our games are worthless compared to the japanese market. The only things that can even compete are paid, that includes things such as Manamon, AHC and some others. So if Japanese games can do it so can everyone argument unfortunately does not work. That is one very specific case that you keep mentioning, probably because you yet can't find a non Japanese game that competes to crazy party and is also free, yet is completely legal with no copyrighted assets. I honestly don't even know why does this continue being an argument. Either a decision should be made or nothing should happen and this should stop. We can argue all day about it which has been happening for 3 days and nobody's opinions will change.

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 17:57:38

that sounds  copyrights topic  is geting old, and honestly there is no point in arguing about it, it is ridiculous

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2020-05-22 19:42:40

The single reason that I cite Japanese audio games is to prove that it can be done. People talk about how monumentally difficult it apparently is to avoid piracy or whatever, yet Shadow Rine and the BK series, just to name two, seem to do it pretty well. And I dunno about you, but both of those games have some pretty insane replay value. This proves that some people, at least, have had the time, the desire, and/or the resources to create games to evoke a certain feel without simply pirating hundreds of sounds and piggybacking off the fame of an already well-known franchise. So if they can do it, so can virtually anyone else. Failure to do so is either laziness, a desire to steal, lack of know-how, lack of resources or some combination thereof. There's really no getting around it.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 20:23:03

I'm sorry to say this, but Japanese work ethics is is very different to western ones.

That's not an excuse, but it may be a reason as to how they do it and we dont.

Nuno, why bring your pro-China anti-Japanese sentiments in here as well`?

Has the staff team considered talking to a lawyer, instead of this argument which at this point is one based on guessing, emotion, uncertainty and mistrust? I think it's the best option at this point

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-22 21:13:20 (edited by Nikola 2020-05-22 23:50:30)

So can anyone else, but noone else did it, not that I know of at least. As I said, one non Japanese game the size of CP, and free, and I will accept that this is perfectly possible. Japanese games do have insane replay value, I never questioned that. But sounds  are far from the only thing Japanese games are way more advanced compared to anything free and even most paid non Japanese games. Our free games can't even be compared to something free coming from Japan. When a newly released Japanese game comes along, you know that it is something polished and ready to play. This by the way includes comparing them to Crazy party. I have not yet seen a Japanese release full of bugs or with a bug that makes it unplayable, and even when this does happen like a few times in BK, those things are fixed in a matter of a few days. What makes such a huge difference in development, and in general in their design philosophy I don't know, but that is an entirely different topic.

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-22 23:42:47

i gotta agree with post 131 132, you can't really comparing Japanese game with the ones being released, sounds like  you wanted to support your argument by that, but it doesn't work like that, i think post 132 gave an explination for that

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2020-05-22 23:55:48

Actually, yes, I can.

An audiogame is an audiogame regardless of where it comes from.
If you don't know why the Japanese audiogames we've had access to have largely better sound design, then perhaps it's just because those devs pride themselves on doing a good job, sourcing their material and making a particular impression? Drawing a line in the sand between Japanese audiogame developers and everyone else is not racism, but it's a form of profiling, and it's silly. It suggests that there is something intrinsic to Japanese developers that others do not have, and cannot have, and that's just an easy way to wave this troubling aspect of the argument away.
The truth is simple: perhaps the work ethic is stronger and the desire to do things right is more culturally or socially ingrained. I'm not a hundred percent sure about that. But this can be found in other areas as well, and is not the sole purview of the Japanese audiogames community. If your argument boils down to, "Well it's them, of course they're different/better, we can't possibly", then you're just being lazy.

So now that I've taken all the props away, let's face the facts.

When a Japanese developer like Galaxy Laboratory wanted to channel the 90s action JRPG style, they fucking well did it. Hundreds of sounds, dozens of music tracks; hell, they even got voice acting in there. I am not a native Japanese speaker so I don't know how authentic it actually was, since I know nothing of the nuance of the language, but considering how generally non-buggy this game was, and how deep it went, and how much replay value it had...well that's pretty amazing.
And now, because you don't have the "well of course, they're different" argument to fall back on, what is your reason that people like Pragma or others who aren't Japanese can't emulate that work ethic? Really sit back and think about this.

Me, I think it's laziness or lack of motivation. The community accepts fairly low standards and has proven that it'll take copyrighted assets and weak plot/shaky mechanics as long as it's shiny and new. So perhaps our real problem here is systemic. We've gotten used to accepting less, and so when something mediocre comes out and a bunch of folks rave on about how good it is, devs over here get preconditioned to put in a certain level of effort, which probably doesn't align with the standards of Japanese audiogames. But that does not mean that non-Japanese developers are -unable to meet those standards. They just. Plain. Don't.

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 01:54:07

If it was just the sound design, we could talk, but Japanese games are better at practicly everything, and if you don't want to accept that it's your choice, but anyone who seriously plays audiogames will say this as a fact. Again, voice acting you say? One free non Japanese game that does voice acting well? I could think only of the blind swordsman, but that again doesn't come anywhere near the size of Shadow rine. Even Manamon rather does the story in textual form to avoid even more costs of hiring actors to do the job. I'm not even sure what your point is, since yes, Japanese games do have a different standard. Look at Planet saga, it's just a concept demo and yet we have nothing like it. We all know that the BK series is pretty much the best sidescroller we have. This includes free and paid, and now if we limit it to just free games, we better not even talk about it. Whether our developers can or can't do better is not something I can answer, but I can answer that they currently don't. Again, my question is simple, point to non Japanese games that are free, have some good replay value  or come close to the size of CP and meet your legal sounds requirements. Even Super Liam, Judgment day, all of these have been paid at their time. Surely if you can't find one non Japanese game, they do have a different standard we aren't even close to yet? Now whether we as a community are used to accepting average games, hell yes. Is CP an average game? Most certainly no. It's in the category of top free games for sure. You are playing only one mode of CP actively, since as you said yourself you  don't like minigames that much, and I do respect that, but you have to understand that CP is 2 and a half games in one. On one side you have the battle mode you know, on the other a list of over 200 minigames you can play, and on the third side a list of about 50 micro games. If you think all these ideas are just stolen from others, you are really wrong. Taking the battle mode for example, the only thing that is stolen here are the Pokemon attack names. The concept is different from anything else. Yes, it can remind us of Pokemon or other card battling games, but it is most certainly not the same and cards as well as the whole battle system just works on it's own. Many ideas, especially recently have been contributed by the community and it is far from copy pasting ideas. Same goes for minigames. The concept borrows quite a lot from Mario party, but again, you have a lot of unique games which either Pragma or the community came up with. Micro games as far as I know is something unique to Crazy party and isn't an idea from anywhere, but perhaps I am wrong. In one of your previous posts it sounded like your impression is that Pragma only coded the game, just copying ideas the same way it worked for the sounds, nevermind that the sounds weren't just copied into the game either. Not entirely sure what your huge issue with CP all of a sudden is other than the sounds, but there are some facts to clear this up. It only conveniently happens to work that the only games that come anywhere close to this and are free come from Japan. I never meant to make any racist comment, it would be silly since I'm not even from Japan, but as I said this was always the case that the best audiogames come from there. I would personally say that the only reason Pragma can keep CP free is due to not having any sound costs associated with the game. Is this perfect and should this always be the case? Most certainly no. However, are we stealing anything from the artists who created all this work? That's yet again a no. We aren't making any money, nor is Pragma, and they are or were paid regardless of what happens with CP. The point would be much different if the game was paid. You  would have every right to argue that we are indirectly stealing money from the companies who created the sounds. You have also previously mentioned and compared how comes that our community jumps when we see code stealing, but this type of sound stealing is perfectly ok. This really should not need explaining again, but the code is being stolen from people who devote their time, their limited free time to making an audiogame. They aren't being paid at all, usually their income from the game  is 0 dollars. All they have is their code, and stealing their work in this case, being that we are primarily a site supporting audiogame developers should really be treated the same as sharing audiogame cracks. Stealing sounds isn't  okay either, I can only accept it in the case of CP because of the reasons already outlined above. It is a huge company that doesn't lose anything if one tiny audiogame for 200 players suddenly starts using their assets. I would argue that if Jayde was to create a game, and the game would be paid 10 dollars, suddenly it gets cracked, your loss would be a lot larger, perhaps making you never want to create another game comparing to if Jayde was working at Nintendo and enjoying his sallary regardless of what happens and not even knowing that Crazy party exists somewhere. That's the final conclusion of this post addressing some of the recent points brought up. Before you complain how it's hypocritical, so is the way the site is dealing with the issue. And it will continue being hypocritical even if CP was removed. If you say that one of the reasons is because people constantly blame you oh you are removing this but you aren't dealing with CP, well dealing with CP won't stop that, they will just find a new target game. That's unfortunately a sideeffect of being a forum administrator.

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-23 02:54:16

Surgery time.

I'm going to take your post apart, so this is gonna be a text wall.

"If it was just the sound design, we could talk, but Japanese games are better at practicly everything, and if you don't want to accept that it's your choice, but anyone who seriously plays audiogames will say this as a fact. Again, voice acting you say? One free non Japanese game that does voice acting well? I could think only of the blind swordsman, but that again doesn't come anywhere near the size of Shadow rine. Even Manamon rather does the story in textual form to avoid even more costs of hiring actors to do the job. I'm not even sure what your point is, since yes, Japanese games do have a different standard. Look at Planet saga, it's just a concept demo and yet we have nothing like it. We all know that the BK series is pretty much the best sidescroller we have. This includes free and paid, and now if we limit it to just free games, we better not even talk about it. Whether our developers can or can't do better is not something I can answer, but I can answer that they currently don't."

My point is that if the Japanese are doing it, so can we. And arguably, so -should we. Rather than putting it into an "us and them" scenario, we should recognize that these are just really good game developers. All game devs, if given sufficient reason and time and resources, and talent of course, can do what they're doing. There is not some secret quality which makes Japanese people better at making audio games, or any other games for that matter.

"Again, my question is simple, point to non Japanese games that are free, have some good replay value  or come close to the size of CP and meet your legal sounds requirements. Even Super Liam, Judgment day, all of these have been paid at their time. Surely if you can't find one non Japanese game, they do have a different standard we aren't even close to yet? Now whether we as a community are used to accepting average games, hell yes. Is CP an average game? Most certainly no. It's in the category of top free games for sure."

You're missing the point. First, I don't have to point at a non-Japanese game that's doing a good job, because audio games are audio games. Stop with the us-and-them crap. It's a smokescreen, and it's not working on me. Second, I'm well aware of how popular and successful CP is, and I argue that it's successful in spite of its pirated assets, not because of them.

"You are playing only one mode of CP actively, since as you said yourself you  don't like minigames that much, and I do respect that, but you have to understand that CP is 2 and a half games in one. On one side you have the battle mode you know, on the other a list of over 200 minigames you can play, and on the third side a list of about 50 micro games."

Again, I'm well aware of what this game encompasses. I make a point to try and know what I'm talking about before running my mouth.

If you think all these ideas are just stolen from others, you are really wrong. Taking the battle mode for example, the only thing that is stolen here are the Pokemon attack names. The concept is different from anything else."

Uh, no. No it's not. All types are borrowed from pokemon. The concept of gyms is borrowed from pokemon. I'm pretty sure every music track is pirated from pokemon. Sorry, but don't give me that. This is pokemon with some new math and a fresh coat of paint. No, it is not 100% pokemon, but it is so heavily inspired by it that it's really difficult to call this original. It's also unbalanced as hell, BTW, but that's beside the point.

"Yes, it can remind us of Pokemon or other card battling games, but it is most certainly not the same and cards as well as the whole battle system just works on it's own. Many ideas, especially recently have been contributed by the community and it is far from copy pasting ideas."

See above. You should really stop trying to justify this product as original now. If Pragma wanted to differentiate himself from pokemon, then he really shot himself in the foot by pirating pokemon fight music, using all the pokemon types, and then essentially being in favour of leaving pirated assets in his game at least in part because he's trying to invoke pokemon nostalgia. You absolutely cannot have this both ways, dude. Either it's original - in which case it should have its own sounds and music to make it its own thing - or the people playing it are out for a pokemon nostalgia fix and they really really really need pokemon music to do that with. Busted.

"Same goes for minigames. The concept borrows quite a lot from Mario party, but again, you have a lot of unique games which either Pragma or the community came up with. Micro games as far as I know is something unique to Crazy party and isn't an idea from anywhere, but perhaps I am wrong."

Again, I'm aware it's not a 100% ripoff, but the concepts are extremely similar. And again, there are so many borrowed sound assets that this originality argument is being made in bad faith. I'll say it again for the folks in the back. Either Crazy Party really is its own thing, and should do what Manamon did and differentiate itself from its source material with its own music and sounds while still respecting said source material partially in its design, or CP is trying slavishly to bring on the feels and the nostalgia by evoking fond memories of Pokemon and Mario Party for a blind audience who may not have been able to experience either one before. Given the "we neeeeeeeed those sounds" outcry from a few users, both in this thread and in others I've come across, I'd say it's the latter. The thing is, I recognize that some concepts are new, or have been tweaked a great deal. I also respect that a lot of people have had their fingers in this, and while I'm not a huge fan of the minigames, I've played probably half of them or more, some of them many times. There's some really neat ideas in there, and if I've only seen half, I know there are more. But trying to tell me that it's not a 100% ripoff...I already knew that, and it's not an adequate defense of the use of copyrighted assets. Next!

"In one of your previous posts it sounded like your impression is that Pragma only coded the game, just copying ideas the same way it worked for the sounds, nevermind that the sounds weren't just copied into the game either. Not entirely sure what your huge issue with CP all of a sudden is other than the sounds, but there are some facts to clear this up."

No. My impression was that Pragma took two popular series, said "I want to make games that are really similar to those, and oh I also want to use a bunch of their sounds for some cheap nostalgia". Then he did it. He put in a ton of work, I won't take that away from him. So did the others who have thus far worked on the game. But boiled down, this is pretty much what they did. Borrowed the fame of another established series to boost the publicity of their own. Super slimy.
Why my sudden problem, you ask? Well if you dig into this, someone else brought up Crazy Party, asked why it hadn't been banned long ago, and that was how that started. Ever since we brought in rule 3, I have been against continuing to support this game on the site. If it were up to me alone, I would have put it under the umbrella of rule 3 instantly, and that would have been an end to it. It more than deserves it. So this isn't new. Read prior posts of mine to see where my personal feelings come into this, and where my admin feelings do. Personal feelings mean I don't really want to play the game anymore. Admin sensibilities make me think that supporting this game in any way via the forum is hypocritical and may, in fact, be dangerous.

"It only conveniently happens to work that the only games that come anywhere close to this and are free come from Japan. I never meant to make any racist comment, it would be silly since I'm not even from Japan, but as I said this was always the case that the best audiogames come from there."

Irrelevant. Discussed previously. Also, this is the part of your message where I began to realize just how scattered your thoughts are.

"I would personally say that the only reason Pragma can keep CP free is due to not having any sound costs associated with the game. Is this perfect and should this always be the case? Most certainly no. However, are we stealing anything from the artists who created all this work? That's yet again a no. We aren't making any money, nor is Pragma, and they are or were paid regardless of what happens with CP. The point would be much different if the game was paid. You  would have every right to argue that we are indirectly stealing money from the companies who created the sounds."

We aren't just talking about money. Obviously the monetary harm, either to individuals or corporations, is low. But my personal feeling is that projects like Crazy Party are extremely dubious from a moral perspective. You would, for instance, using this logic, be well within your rights to steal a music track from me if I posted it and said it was just a concept for something I was playing with. Since I'm not losing money, and since it won't hurt my livelihood, apparently this makes it okay? Have you lost your ever-loving mind on this? I don't know about you, but when I create something and someone else goes and uses it without my permission for their own benefit - in this case, it would be a social benefit, I've discussed this before - I'd be pretty pissed. It is extremely unlikely that individual sound or music creators are ever going to know what you're doing, but they are still artists. Take money completely out of the picture for a minute. What you are doing, or at least tacitly defending, is the free use of their hard work in order to benefit you or what you stand for. Saying "thank you" in a document they'll never read shouldn't assuage that guilt, either. You are still stealing from them, not in a financial way but in a less literal way. This is my moral stance coming to the fore. So yeah, for future reference? If I ever do dare to post something here, and I find out that any of you has, say, taken it and stuck it in your game with a quick blurb in the credits thanking me, without asking and receiving confirmation, I will figuratively scalp you. Don't do it. And for god's sake don't defend others who do it. Pragma didn't just do it once. He did it literally hundreds of times to help his game along. If you want to argue that CP wouldn't be CP without all those assets, then what you are saying is that this game would not have survived without the uncompensated work and permission of other people.

"You have also previously mentioned and compared how comes that our community jumps when we see code stealing, but this type of sound stealing is perfectly ok. This really should not need explaining again, but the code is being stolen from people who devote their time, their limited free time to making an audiogame. They aren't being paid at all, usually their income from the game  is 0 dollars. All they have is their code, and stealing their work in this case, being that we are primarily a site supporting audiogame developers should really be treated the same as sharing audiogame cracks. Stealing sounds isn't  okay either, I can only accept it in the case of CP because of the reasons already outlined above. It is a huge company that doesn't lose anything if one tiny audiogame for 200 players suddenly starts using their assets. I would argue that if Jayde was to create a game, and the game would be paid 10 dollars, suddenly it gets cracked, your loss would be a lot larger, perhaps making you never want to create another game comparing to if Jayde was working at Nintendo and enjoying his sallary regardless of what happens and not even knowing that Crazy party exists somewhere."

Got it. So your right to pirate is based solely upon 1. whether the victim knows and 2. whether the victim is going to lose money. There's no moral problem with taking what you didn't make yourself and using it to prop yourself up. You don't have to ask; in fact, if anyone suggests that you even inform the people with the rights to the material, you flip the fuck out because ohmygod how dare you suggest we do something moral and inform the owners of assets that they're being used without their knowledge or consent. If we had a rich audiogame developer show up one day, it would be okay to steal from them because they're rich and don't need our money. The instant anyone in this community makes mention of the fact that they've got a steady job and/or financial stability - I can think of a handful right off the top of my head, but I won't name them right now because I don't want to out them or drop them in the middle of this damned dumpster fire - they're exempt from the "we won't steal from you because we'd hurt you" rhetoric, and they're fair game. Uh, needless to say that this disgusts me on a personal level and makes me disappointed as an admin.

"That's the final conclusion of this post addressing some of the recent points brought up. Before you complain how it's hypocritical, so is the way the site is dealing with the issue. And it will continue being hypocritical even if CP was removed. If you say that one of the reasons is because people constantly blame you oh you are removing this but you aren't dealing with CP, well dealing with CP won't stop that, they will just find a new target game. That's unfortunately a sideeffect of being a forum administrator."

I've already covered most of this, but here's a quick summary. There have been threats to start reporting games if CP stops being supported, but every single one of them will be made in bad faith because your game of choice got yanked first. Our intention is to keep our forum as free from copyright as is reasonable; it's reasonable to take CP down, but it's not reasonable to take every single game down by next Tuesday. It also means that we will probably hit the stuff that's doing the most harm or contains the most assets first. Oh, BTW? Thanks for pointing out all the other forums and communities where CP has a strong following; that actually makes the argument for removing it even stronger, since clearly this game doesn't rely on us nearly as much as detractors once tried to argue.

Whew. Okay. Anybody else?

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 03:22:04

So, I've been monitoring this entire topic, and am not going to get too heavily involved in this since I have better things to do than to waste my time arguing copyright law back in fourth. Post 136 definitely covered most of my issues with 135; however, one issue stuck out to me in particular -- the concept/impression that I received from 135 that implied that code theft is bad because the authors put in dedicated work to make something a reality and therefore its bad; whether money is involved or not is irrelevant. The problem, of course, is that sound designers put in a lot of effort into making good, high-quality sounds, and tend to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on sound design libraries, VSTs, etc. Therefore, both are equally bad and should be treated the exact same way, irrespective of what product it happens in, or what product it happens to. And though 135 partially covered that, I just thought I might point that out. I'm going to hang back and monitor this topic now; Jayde has pretty much said things far better than I could have.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 03:39:25

Actually, regarding Microgames, I have heard that name in one other game. Warioware. I recall Warioware incorperated being the game I played, but I think the concept is what the warioware series is built on. I don't know if the concept is the same in Crazy Party, though.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 03:40:23 (edited by ignatriay 2020-05-23 03:52:40)

I'm just playing the devil's advocate for a bit... As far as sound design, how do you know that all of the Pokémon sounds used in crazy party are... Exclusive, per say? For all we know, they could have been bought from a audio library... A blind legend is a example of this, just to give you a hint, the sword sounds... from a sound library. Manamon, another exacple. Sounds are coming from a sound library, fabee not all of the sounds, however its fair to say quite a few do.  So I ask again, how do you know for sure that the sounds are original, exclusive for Pokémon, and not that they come from a sound library? Have any of you considered this? Are there games out there that have exclusive, go-out-there-and-record-your-own-sounds-and-then-edit-them, approach? Heck yes. However in most cases, far as i've seen, sounds come from sound libraries.
Speaking of cp, the sound you hear when junking and drawing cards? Same sounds heard in quentencie's playroom. Does this mean, that the playroom is also using pirated assets, or that said sounds where actually from a sound library? Just some food for thought. You say all the sounds are pirated? Assuming this is true, in that case, quentencies playroom would be using pirated assets given the card sounds are the same as those in cp. That, or said sounds are actually sounds found in sound libraries.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 03:55:56

No. I'm saying it uses hundreds of pirated assets. I have no way of knowing how many sound effects are pirated. I can tell you that all of the battle themes in battle mode are pirated, however, as I have experienced some of them myself and have heard others in playthroughs. Note for note. These are not available in sound libraries, to my knowledge, as they're the property of Nintendo or Gamefreak or whoever precisely holds that.

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 07:34:28

Hi.

Sooo, did actually one of the admins go forward and ask a lawyer about this matter? Otherwise I could do what Jayde said in another topic and just go write to Nintendo myself and see how they would react to this hole matter.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 08:11:02 (edited by bryant 2020-05-23 08:14:21)

ok, I have held myself back from posting on this topic, because frankly I do not have much to say that has already been said, and bringing the arguments up again serves no purpose. But i'm only going to say this. First of all, believe it or not, I am in full agreement that sounds of crazy party need to be changed. It is justified that these games should be taken down. For those of you who are making the argument that these companies who the sounds were "borrowed" from won't care, they don't know that these sounds are being used in the first place, so that, to me, is not an argument which holds much ground. We don't know that they would or wouldn't care, because they don't know about these sounds being used for other projects. Does this excuse make it any more right? No. How would you feel if someone took your hard work and used it for something else without so much as giving you credit? In this case, I am talking about sound design. There was a time when I was on the other side of this issue. I thought, "Is this really a big deal?" But the more I think about it, and the more of Jade's posts I have read, the more I am in agreement that something needs to be done. For those of you who think that changing sounds in a game will take forever, and complain that you won't get to play your favorite game for perhaps months, I ask you this. Are games a want, or are games a need? TO be clear, I love crazy party. I think it's a great game, and the developer has done one fine job with it. But I cannot endorse the use of other sounds which developers have no right to.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 10:27:02

well i don't think   these big sound library  compani that released them  do cair about them being used like that, because as far as i know it does not effect, they've already  earned  money from there work and still do, but yeah.

sound is my vision

2020-05-23 16:38:49

@131, your reading skills are exceptional. Congrats and keep up the good work!

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-05-23 19:02:03

+1

nidza07 wrote:

To be honest I have no clue why some people keep bringing up the CP argument when clearly forum users were the ones asking for an exception when it comes to free audio games. I don't get what is the goal or the point of that. What do you want, admins to go fully enforcing the rule on all the games? It's not because they don't want to do it.
As for the original VM in question, such utilities are passed around on thousands of forums with no consequences whatsoever to anyone, so I can't say I see the point. And no, those  aren't piracy oriented forums or anything like that. A few notable tech sites including instructions for doing exactly this include HowToGeek, Lifehacker, Insanely Mac forum and Gizmodo. However, we are audiogames.net, the largest forum on the Internet that is constantly being monitored by Apple and thus we must strictly conform to their licence agreement. I won't post any links on here, but a simple Google search run Mac in a virtual machine on  Windows shows my point exactly. This won't be the case if you Google crack for X software. You won't be seeing that on any forums with a good reputation. One more thing, no more discussing of IOS betas on here guys, because from now on we strictly conform to Apple's licence agreement which was already violated back when the topic about IOS 13 beta was created.
One last thing that is now forbidden to discuss on here according to Apple, our new forum administrator is jailbreaking. Yep, that's right, the recent topic created here talking about jailbreaking is from this point on illegal.
FYI Jade, on the front of the articles room there's an interesting topic. It's called Working: how to install an IPA file to your iOS device 2020. If we open it and look for a link, and open that link, the title of the page will immediately say, "Cracked iOS & Mac App Store Apps Free Download | AppCake - ". I would think this is much more important than a virtual machine, but what do I know.

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 20:46:10 (edited by ignatriay 2020-05-23 20:47:32)

Here is the problem. Some of us want the sounds to be changed, myself incluted, and yes, i'm one of those who is capable of giving a hand. However, the dev, is not interested in this, so what's next? Find a way to somehow change the sounds and force pragma to change them because of piracy? If the one who owns the project, in this case CP, is not willing to be given a hand, what legal ways can we prociede. On the other hand, have any of you considered the following, what if pragma actually got permission to use the sounds? I'm playing the devil's advocate once again as this is highly unlikely, however, what if this was true? The whole argument of, piracy woule be void in that case, however there is no way of actually finding if this is the  case and he obtained permission to do this. This is highly unlikely, however. It far more likely the sounds where pirated. Unless we can get pragma to join the discussion here and say if he pirated the sounds used or not, we'll just be going round in circles on this matter.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 21:08:27

@ignatriay
I'm 99.9 % sure that he didn't. Listen to the coin sound for example. It sounds like it was recorded or ripped off of some yt video.

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 23:25:48

I mean, I guess it's technically possible that he has permission, but there's evidence against it:
1. When a thread about updating the sounds was made, nobody once suggested that he actually had permission to use the current sounds.
2. I think it extremely unlikely that Nintendo would willingly grant someone the right to use their assets in a free project, much less a paid one. They might not care to take it down if they found out, but I think they'd be extremely unlikely to grant permission if asked.

With this in mind, I feel that the onus would be on Pragma or others to prove that they have permission, instead of being on us to prove that they don't.

Thumbs up

2020-05-24 00:22:51

There’s no way he wouldn’t have mentioned that he had permission. That would have put a stop to the sound effort all together.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

Thumbs up

2020-05-24 03:48:00

I'd like to post in here one more time and then forget about this topic.  As someone who relys heavily on sound and generally invests a ton of time on audio production and sound design and someone who has the community's best interest in mind, my aim in this particular post is now to settle this debate once and for all.  I know there will always and forever be skeptics, but studdying over the past week or so that this topic has been going has left me with no doubt that what I'm about to write is in fact the only way forward and will in essence get the ball rolling in the right direction again.  I couldn't be absolutely certain when I first began writing on here, which is why I tried to shift the conversation to one of how copyright law is broken; it is.  That having been said, the terms in licensing, are not; If you are a mod/admin for ag net, a developer who wants to hopefully have his or her games included on ag net or somewhere in between I urge you to please read this post carefully and pass its information around if necessary.  Nocturnal post Copyright Saturday, may 23rd, 2020, all rights rejected.  Redistribution of the information in this post is proactively encouraged and yada yada yada, blah blah.
So, lets get some technical crud out of the way in this section concerning copyright.  It does exist and is supposed to protect from people profiting from other people's work.  In essence and in the scope of this particular discussion, the idea here is that if you create/ produce/record a sound for wider consumption or broadcasting purposes someone else should not be able to take credit for it or unfairly profit from it.
Notice I said unfairly profit?  Awhile back on this particular topic the concept of fair use was brought up, and that raised the question of what precisely fair use was and how it applies to this discussion, if in fact it applies at all.  In order to get into that particular aspect of this discussion, though, we're going to have to get into something called licensing, a separate concept altogether from copyright.
Licenses are important to understand.  when you purchase/download individual sounds or sound libraries what you are actually doing is buying/obtaining the ability to use them; you do not own them.  Licenses vary from one company to another, so it would be in your best interest to understand the terms by which you are bound when purchasing/downloading sound effects.  Overall, however, there are basics that apply across the board owing to similarities in how the licenses are written.
1.  Practically all sound design companies allow syncronization rights.  What this means is that if you use sounds in a sound sequence you are in fact using the sounds as they should be used.  If, for example, you have three sounds and you have in mind that those three sounds should be used in a sound sequence, provided that none of those sounds are isolated in such a way that they could then be redistributed as single sounds, you're in the clear.
2.  Licenses for sound effects are generally granted for perpetual use, meaning that they can be used and reused and reused and reused infinitely provided you have access to them and have obtained them by legal means.
without further payment.
3.  In addition, provided that you have obtained sounds and or sound libraries legally, you are also free to store them as necessary for backup purposes.
4.  Redistribution of sounds or sound libraries is generally not allowed as it deprives the copyright holder fair profit from their product.  Others should have to download or otherwise legally obtain the sound.
5.  Network sharing and or transfer is generally prohibited and frowned down upon.
6.  In many instances attribution is required.  Wherever it is possible, particularly as it pertains to royalty free music and sound effects it is necessary or at the very least courteous to mension composers, audio producers and sound designers so that credit is given where credit is do.
All of this is important because as stated previously, many sounds have been used and reused throughout the blind community, mostly by audio games.  Whether free or paid, titles include but are not limited to, Swamp, Lunimals, Rs-Games, QuentinC's playroom, Super Liam, Judgment Day, Shades of Doom, Tank Commander, Time of Conflict, q9, Jungle, Alien outback, the Alter Aeon mush-z soundpack, the miriani soundpack used for VIP-mud, audioquake, all spoonbill games, all kitchensink games, light Cars, Light Locater, and on and on we could go probably throughout the entirety of the database.  In at least two of the instances I've mentioned, the sounds are readily available for anyone who downloads the games in their own folder.  Whether this was an oversight of the developer or flat out intentional is beyond me and I honestly don't care, nor do I believe has anyone else, until now.  The issue is now being discussed because as it currently stands, if we're going to try and follow copyright to the letter we're going to have to put practically all of ag net on the chopping block, scrap the entirety of the database and start over from scratch, screening every game as it comes in and somehow finding a system by which we can determine who legally owns the sounds and who doesn't.
But it gets even more ridiculous when you happen to know that many if not most of the sounds currently being used are available for free download. Yes, those are legally free sounds, provided that you do not use them in a profitable atempt.  Many of them, of course, are available as part of larger packages belonging to either Hollywood Edge or Sound Ideas.  What I am in fact saying is that it would be hard to know if sounds were legally or illegally obtained unless we started monitoring people off the forum, which is something I think we can all agree goes far beyond the scope of this site and its moderation/administration panel.  You can't, fully, absolutely, know, who obtained all of these sounds and how they obtained them and what right they did or did not have to use them or how they were used.  this should, then, I believe, place the responsibility of sounds and sound design on those who are developing games and not on the moderation/administration panel of audiogames.net
Obviously we are bound to legalities ourselves, meaning that if we do become  aware that a game is doing something it should not be doing we should try and act upon it, but until we know for sure that this is the case it should not be a knee-jerk reaction, as such would actually fall under the concept of character assassination given what I've outlined in post 79.  To briefly summarize for anyone who didn't read it or can't be bothered scrolling up because pages, the section I'm refering to in particular states that either we assume that those using sounds are legally using them, or we lable everyone who uses an iconic sound a pirate from the get-go.  This puts just as much of the blame on people who have developed paid games since, as I stated above, at least two instances of commercial games have stock sounds in them that can freely be copied by anyone with an ounce of computer knowledge.
This is where the concept of fair use comes into play.  What it boils down to is that as long as the soundsare not being used for any kind of comercial gain and are not being left isolated for the general consumer to simply snag for themselves one is free to take overall sound and use it.  CrazyParty falls under this umbrella as, A, it encrypts sounds, B, overlays music in such a way that it cannot be completely turned off and therefor does not allow sounds to truly be isolated and, C, does not profit commercially in any respects.  Incidentally, it is worth mentioning that to my knowledge the only sound I know of that has a nintendo trademark associated with it at present is the Mario Coin sound effect, which I do not believe is being used in CP.  This in essence means that, and I'm paraphrasing Nintendo's terms of service more or less across their sites, all content they own rights to, be it articles, artwork, screen shots, graphics, logos, digital downloads and other files, may not be used on any other web site, in any publications, in public performances, in connection with any product or service that is not Nintendo's, in any manner that is likely to cause confusion among customers, in any manner that disparages or discredits Nintendo, or in any manner that is otherwise exploitative for any commercial purpose or that otherwise infringes Nintendo's intellectual property rights.  CP is not such a product.
and with that, I take my leave.  I plead with you all to read and reread this post carefully and sincerely hope it helps to extinguish some of the flames.  the best thing that can be done at present is for the CP developer to include, if he hasn't already, a section that details that most if not all of the sounds currently available on the game do not belong to him or his team and where possible, include who they do belong to.  Until Nintendo or other such entities whom may be responsible for particular sounds along with companies like Hollywood Edge or Sound ideas begin pursuing individuals and start asking for takedowns, I do not believe it would be in the best interest of ag net and its administration panel to flex its muscles and start slamming the ban hammer on games or devs.  Place the responsibility on the devs and sound designers and not on yourselves.  It does not fall upon us to police the whole of the net.  Even if it did, we couldn't do it as there are far too many variables at play here.  Thank you all for your attention.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up +9