2020-12-25 20:57:18

@25 please reread post 1. I clearly stated that only games that were more or less fully completed would be included. I'm more lenient on including mainstream games this year because more and more people seem to be going the mainstream route. The "other" option exists for a reason if you're not satisfied with what's there. That's literally all I can do.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-12-26 00:18:18

Really can't believe 13 sentinel got so few votes. Its really wonderful.

2020-12-26 12:04:14 (edited by Dakonna 2020-12-26 12:06:51)

@27 well... Tlou2 got all the bling bling this year. Speaking from a purely personal point of view it would have been cool if something more indilike could have been chosen, since I could actually tell the dev and they might appreciate it a bit more. It's a bit of an unfair race since Tlou2 is AAA, but here's the problem: The pool of noteable releases to draw from in one year for blind accessible things is simply too small to allow for multiple categories. If i had, e.g. done an indi game of the year and a AAA game of the year, tlou2 would have to run against nothing, because so far, it's the only one. Don't know exactly how well known 13 Centenals is in mainstream places, but sites like Kotaku or YouTube gaming channels haven't given it any attention so it sounds more indi than truely mainstream to me.

2020-12-26 13:09:20

Well I mean people have been discussing 13 sentinel for months, and we even have a guide for it in the articles room, so is plenty of ways to go about playing it if you wanted to, but I suppose TLOU2 being a aaa title does bring it more attention, plus not everyone is into that anime style presentation.. I suppose that if I were to pick a game of the year based on accessibility alone, I would have to give it to TLOU2 for its number  os built in access features. I do feel bad for the people who loved the first game but were let down by the narrative direction of the second, like my brother, and I can understand why he feels that way too. Its kinda the reason why we haven't been in a hurry to get the game, because to us, narrative in such a title is pretty important too, and making us do things that tugs at our conscience is a good way to kill our motivation to play.

2020-12-26 13:53:27

@29, it probably isn't the game for you, then. I haven't played it myself either, yet, though I do like the idea behind it and think it's kind of cool how you have to do things you might not necessarily understand / agree with, and play characters you personally find disagreeable.

2020-12-26 14:40:14

Well, suppose that in street fighter 6, bison killed Ryu, Ken, Chung Lee, guile, zangif, dalsiem, Blanca, fei long, cammie, t-hawk, e-handa, rainbow mica, sakura, dan, Makoto, Cody, gai, gen, eagle, Sodom, Alex, Akuma, karin, rose all in a cutsceme, and left everyone else to mourn their deaths, that wouldn't just piss me off, it would piss off a huge chunk of the street fighter fabvase as well. Its like giving us the middle finger and saying we're gonna do things our own way and kill off all the people you love. Thats not doing questionable things anymore, its breaking lore. Mortal kombat got away with that because they used that as a means of rebooting the series. TLOU2 doing that after spending the first game connecting the players to the characters is like giving the player a swift unapologetic kick to the groin, at least in my humble opinion.

2020-12-26 16:07:59

I think I wish the drama was very well done so I think it should be also in the list. A western drummer

2020-12-26 17:23:35

Beware of spoilers ahead:
Thing is, it was a calculated kic to the groin by naughty dog. The problem as always is the playerbase. Most players are quite one dimensional and only see the death of Joel and abby as his killer, but fail to see the bigger picture here.
They think that Ellie is that clean slate but if you play and actually think about the story, you start noticing that Ellie is the one who can't let go and is slowly transforming from the hunted into the hunter, slowly but surely getting more violent and ruthless.
You actually start to notice science of PTSD later on in the game. If you encounter a shocking experience in your life, in this case, a person dyes right in front of you, it takes a while till that event is processed by your brain and you really start grasping what has actually happened, which the game depicts very well.
It really shows that violence is only getting to more violence and it's a spiral going downward, with no way of escaping it till one of the agressors makes the first move. Abby does this, but Ellie can't let go. Tommy is also a big problem here.
If you remember, after the first fight between Ellie and Abby, you see ellie and Dina living on a farm. Tommy is the one who comes in and tells ellie about the rumors that Abby has been spotted in Santa Barbara, basically triggering her to bring it to an end. It really shows that some things should rather be let go at a certain point.
There are a lot of fine details in the story, as I said previously though, most people tend to fail these and only see Joels death and the love between Ellie and Dina.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-12-26 19:14:29

Number 33 I agree with you fully.

2020-12-26 20:53:48

Yeah people really have a habit of focusing on the fact that oh my god how dare Naughty Dog fill their story with LGBT characters and totally ignore the actual story. That, too, kind of proves their point.

2020-12-26 21:02:38 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2020-12-26 21:15:31)

Honestly i could care less. Hadn't even mentioned it. Kung jin in mortal komvat x fell into that group, but I didnt know until someone pointed it out and didn't care after. What mattered is that it was a good game.

One of my favorite psp minis is twin vlade, and that ones about a lesbian nun, but that doesn't impact how I like the game.

2020-12-26 21:07:48

UPDATE!
Legend Of The moon landso n this list. Albeit a demo this game has charmed me.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-12-26 21:12:35 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-12-26 21:13:35)

Not especially new, but I spent a considerable amount of time in 2020 playing Sequence Storm. The guy is super open to feedback and easy to get a hold of, and it's also just him doing most the work as far as I can tell.
Also, I played quite the few Jackbox games. Fibbage, YDKJ... The classics.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-12-26 21:14:45

At Kenshira hmm at least for me, it was clear pritty quickly that Kung Jin might fall into the LGBTQ category.
Remember that scene where he fights Raiden and shortly after that, Raiden said something along the lines of, it doesn't matter who your heart desires. That was a pritty clear hint imo.

Greetings Moritz.

2020-12-26 21:18:52

Yeah I somehow missed that line lol. I asked my vrother if he cared and he didn't either.

2020-12-26 21:21:01

For me personally, I started kinda hating Tommy after that move during the farm chapter. Shit was finished and everything was fine except Ellie of course. Abby still pisses me off, but Ellie does too. I really still like Troy Baker, Ashely Johnson and everyone else though! Twin blades is a cool slasher.

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-12-26 23:15:59 (edited by defender 2020-12-26 23:17:58)

From what I've seen, TLU is basically just people who became shitty because shitty things happened to them (and a few who were probably shitty before that) so they also do shitty things to other (sometimes equally shitty) people because the world they live in is shit and they constantly feel like shit because of it.

2020-12-27 00:39:06

Lol that's true rl sometimes. So much for using games to escape reality.

2020-12-27 01:27:36

I'm not really bothered by the kind of story TLOU2 chose to tell, even if it's not pleasant. I can empathize with the desire for revenge.

I'm curious about Hades, is it playable on other platforms or just PC?

2020-12-29 11:05:15 (edited by Dakonna 2020-12-29 11:05:25)

Just bumping this back up. 2 more days to vote.

2020-12-29 13:33:03 (edited by aaron77 2020-12-29 13:36:42)

It's so hard for me to vote.
I've been addicted to hades for like a week and it's definitely my top game of the year, but I hate voting for it since the devs have no interest in making even extreeeemly minor accessibility improvements.
The last of us 2 is my other favorite though, for entirely different reasons.
And then there's Slay the spire... ugh!
Also, regarding the TLOU2 plot, if you think the story is about revenge, I don't really think you're getting the point.
I'm not speaking to anyone on the forum in particular.  It's just something I keep hearing a lot but I don't see how people leapt to that conclusion in the first place.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

If the story was about revenge, Ellie would have killed Abby, or more likely, Abby would have killed Ellie and that would have been it.  the end!

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2020-12-29 13:52:46

At Aaron huh, from where did you get that the devs aren't interested in accessibility fixes for the game? As far as I heard, Brandon Cole is or was in contact with them, I could be wrong though.

Greetings Moritz.

2020-12-29 15:28:36

He is right, SUpergiant is not really interested in making Hades playable for the blind and that is confirmed if I am right and unles there's some changes to that.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2021-01-02 17:52:59

The results are in and the pole is closed. May 2021 be the year where many more great new games see the light of day!