2016-06-01 23:41:15

Hey Aprone,

Great game, as always. Just a couple of questions:
1. Can you add sound effects to this game? I don't know anything about programming, but I just thought I'd ask. Is there any way?
2. How come I always lose my rage when I get it?

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2016-06-02 03:40:08

@Staindadict, the rage thing is a bug and will hopefully be fixed soon.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-06-02 09:50:18

I've encountered another bug: I had 10 out of 15 hp as I was playing in lightning mode. When changing back to normal mode, I had 25 hp, instead of 20 which is twice as much as 10. Out of curiosity, I changed back to lightning mode and found myself fully healed - with 15 hp.

Errare humanum est!

2016-06-03 15:26:59

Hi Aprone

I didn't start playing yet, but the first thing I noticed is the lack of labels for the account name and password. Also, any hopes for a standalone client with sounds etc?

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics

2016-06-04 00:26:17

Hi all, since the info isn't in the first couple of posts, and without scrolling all the rest of this 6 page thread, I have to ask...
Is this yet compadible with internet explorer? And yeah, a stand alone client with sounds and controls for the IPhone or PC would be awesome!

If not, still hoping for IE support soon. Thanks much.
smile

2016-06-04 04:29:18

I use it just fine with IE 11.3. Jaws 17 Windows 10. Seems like quotation marks are still throwing punctuation errors.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2016-06-04 06:52:22

@Mike, that nasty bug with ie and several browsers is fixed, ie8 has no issues, neither did ie 11 so feel free to dive streight in.

One thing that occurred to me about the game, is it'd be cool if settlements could be expanded, perhaps eventually with the ability of turning them into fully fledged towns so that the starting point moves up. Say that adventurers could choose to settle in a given settlement and the more of a given type settled the better upgrades were available. If a large number settled, say more than 100 at one settlement, the settlement then becomes a town, and becomes the starting point for new adventurers, ie, the fronteer expands. If however an adventurer starts from the start and runs into an established town, or runs from one established town to another, she/he is given messagers to carry which earn some extra gold, thus it'd still be worth starting at the start even if towns were available to start from.

To counter this, settlements could be attacked and their level reduced, or even be wiped off the map altogether, indeed nasty adventurers might even join evil pirates or bandits or the like and try to attack settlements, though of course this means leaving for a life of crime and nastiness and so losing the adventurer in the process.

Btw, can you tell i really like this game? I just wish I accidently hadn't hit "give up and be a guardian" when i got my mage to space 550, big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-06-04 14:30:41

I really like those ideas Dark, and thanks for the heads up with IE working now. Also thanks to Aprone for creating this game and fixing the bugs, big help!.

Oh and Aprone, as a committee of one, I here by appoint Dark your new idea boy for this game. rofl
big_smile

Thanks again!

2016-06-05 04:39:39

Wooo. This is actually kinda fun. I just created my first settlement on position 487. Going to try and get further now. Heh.

2016-06-05 17:48:44

Hi,
I have a question, what happens about character names in this game? Because if I have to keep making new characters, well, I always use the name jukesy and I'm worried if I have to keep choosing a different name I'm going to seriously not get any naming ideas very quickly.

2016-06-05 18:09:08

You can continue to use the same name over and over.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-06-05 19:25:39

Well, this is the turning point. I just purchased a gamer account and have finished my first adventure with a settlement, as a mage. NOw playing as a warrior. I think what makes this game so much fun is you can play for as long or as little as you wish, there isn't any pesky turn limits so you can continue until you finish, or start an adventure and come back another time.

2016-06-06 20:25:36

Hi folks!
Should you run into a guy named JamesNorth in this game, this is me with my silly humor!
See ya round my settlements!

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2016-06-06 22:01:31

@aprone I have some ideas for ancient ruins, I'm going to put it as a spoiler though, and it's slightly rambly but has a few things in here that could be really fun.
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
p
a
c
e
I don't think it should just say demonic form, instead there should be an option called guardian form for those who don't want to be evil. I think there should be a radio button that lets you customize your form a bit as well, perhaps for defeating it some guardians/demons could give bufs like extra maximum health, rage, etc, and a second edit box appears letting the guardian type in what happens if adventurers win. So there could be a form that gives you extra gold, the adventurer gets that gold by getting a key to a vault.
So it would look like this:
first edit box: you find yourself standing in an ancient temple. Suddenly a thief cloaked in shadow appears.
Next, a radio button, which the guardian sets to "extra gold". Alternative options could be, "class buff" (so for mage that would be mana, for ranger that would be arrows and for warrior that would be rage), "full healing", which is self explanatory or "empower", which could fully heal plus give some extra maximum health.
And finally a second edit box, the guardian could enter something like "upon defeating the thief, you find a ke. Exploring further you find a locked vault, inside you find a stash of gold coins."
Perhaps there could also be a third edit box that lets you type in a small name for defeating it as well, which gets added to a sort of log at the end of the game, a bit like an achievement.
The thing is, for something like this, how much would 500 characters let a person type?

2016-06-06 23:19:16 (edited by stewie 2016-06-07 18:29:47)

So I'm running into the problem where I can make a few initial moves, then the game slows to a crawl. I press a button and it takes literally a minute for the game to respond.

(edit)On google Chrome this does not happen, however the browser gets kind of laggy after a while.(/edit)

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2016-06-09 16:17:13

I think I've found a bug.
As a thief, it's saying all gold is doubled, yet I'm still gaining stuff like 3, 9, and even just 1 gold sometimes. Shouldn't double gold mean an even number?

2016-06-09 17:11:21

Hmm, yeah it should.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-06-10 13:38:51

Greatly enjoying this game, even though I've only played once.
I've had that same double gold bug getting odd amounts.
A few suggestions:
1. Make the line announcing your Square be a heading for easier navigation in browsers. (Yes, I know it's like two lines Down from hitting CTRL+Home, but still tongue)
2. I don't know if shooting stars do anything, at least nothing happened to me as a ranger/thief. Maybe it could give a bit of gold/hp/arrows...Or a temporary/permanent upgrade to your weapons.
3. Maybe add some walls/Cliff faces/similar here and there for people to leave messages on. Every 100 Squares, starting from 25 perhaps. Or every 50, Again starting from 25...Depending on how many would be needed.
4. The ability to bury a crate with a bit of gold/arrows and similar would be fun.
5. Potions, scrolls and new weapons would be pretty neat too, it gets a tad boring to only have a knife and a bow after a few hundred Squares smile Potions and scrolls might be decaying, so they'd go away if not used within 10 moves. Perhaps you could sell some of this stuff at settlements too, or buy some.
...I think that's about it for now, time to go try out warrior and mage ^^

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2016-06-10 15:13:06 (edited by AlexN94 2016-06-10 15:29:38)

A Little bug here...
I just landed on my own settlement, bought sme arrows and hp...And now my score says I've helped 3 adventures...Looks like it just Counts how many times something has been bought at your settlement, and not how many actual adventures that have passed by...But yeah...
[EDIT]
Also, Jackel should be Jackal ^^
[/EDIT]

2016-06-10 15:30:22

Someone might have been playing at the same time as you and also landed on the settlement.
Remember, while this is a co-op board game, think of it like the mainstream game called Dark Souls: the other players are almost like ghosts to you, slightly effecting you but can not join you.

2016-06-10 18:32:19

Maybe, although I checked after each purchace, so...IDK...
I just found it a little odd, hehe.

2016-06-10 18:37:50

Actually it was done that way on purpose.  Originally the plan was to have it only count it as helping once, no matter now many things the person purchased during that same visit to the store.  Due to the nature of people casually playing for a few minutes here, and a few minutes there, the server had a hard time keeping track of which purchases should still be considered the same "visit" as the last purchase.  Because at times this could have been unfair (one player only gets credit per visit while another gets credit for all 5 things purchased), it seemed that just making it the same for everybody was the better option.  So it's true, if you sell a player 2 health potions, you get credit for both sales even though it's the same player on the same "visit" to your shop.

I know I haven't updated this game in a while, sorry about that guys.  I'm currently being pulled in many different directions at the same time, so these smaller projects are being neglected.  I'm still surprised this tiny game is as popular as it is!  I never expected that.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-06-10 20:34:05

I still think the warriors are actually the hardest class to play. Didn't even get past space 100 this time. Mages and Rangers definitely yield more of a chance of surviving.

2016-06-10 20:39:38

@Aprone: Small, simple games are my favorites...That, or huge and super complex ones with a lot to explore...But I love stuff like this.
Would it be possible to make some kind of client for it to run on one's computer instead of playing through one's browser? I'd love that, and I think at least someone else mentioned something similar a few pages back.

2016-06-10 22:25:28

Lol. I'm slightly baffled as to the number of requests for a standalone client for this relatively simple game. I mean, it's basically click a button to roll a dice. What real use would there be for a standalone program?

Spill chuck you spots!