2016-05-31 14:01:26

I thought I'd try with safari on IOS, and while the game works well, it wouldn't let me click a class checkbox.  admittedly I wanted to try a warrior, but still. big_smile

2016-05-31 14:26:35

@sswwaaiikkee, no, this game doesn't have music or  sounds, at least not yet, though they might be there in the future.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2016-05-31 15:27:32

Glad to try this one, the game is fun and I've made it to space 204, though annoyingly got splattered by a guardian even though i had max health, but there you go.

One thing that might be cool might be different environments later, say when travelling along you get to enter the dungeons or the forest or the desert and have new encounters, which would also need settlements as well as in the overworld, thus giving people various more options.

I also wonder if some sort of natural check to make sure there aren't too! many settlements might be nice, eg, there is a chance a settlement gets attacked by monsters increasing proportionally with closeness to nearest settlement. when attacked the settlers leave, a new safe place square is created and some of the loot of monsters near the settlement increases.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-31 16:37:25

Well one thing I definitely need to look at is the guardians.  The way they currently work is that when players create guardians, the amount of gold they currently have is what adds to the health and damage of the monster.  It seemed like a fun idea at the time, but can lead to some very powerful creatures if the player had worked to save up a lot of gold ahead of time.

If someone is actually able to kill a guardian, the space turns back into ancient ruins, so the monster can be replaced by another player later on.  What has happened is that guardians were being killed and recreated by players (I saw that happening on the server), but eventually we had a few people save up a load of gold before creating new monsters.  This is what leads to the laughable defeats like Smoothgunner's, where his health was -102 when the dust settled.  That's less like Smoothgunner's corpses is lying in the ruins, and more like the ruins received a fresh coat of Smoothgunner brand paint!

So yeah, people are good at pushing stats and things to the extremes, so I need to figure out a way to balance that more.  My first thought is to maybe have the guardian's health permanently lower during fights.  That would mean a very powerful guardian may still slaughter a couple of players, but each time they would have whittled its health down more and more so until some new player can take it down.  Just a first-thought.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-05-31 16:53:57

Out of the five different games I've played, four have involved death by guardian, ironically the page has always said "you earn so much gold" on one occasion 102 gold so I don't know if we have mutual destruction or not.
I like the idea of guardians being wittled down by repeated player attacks, but having guardians basically as mostly a death sentence seems a bit extreme.
Perhaps, make guardians a risk thing. Give players the choice to fight the guardian or not. if players choose to, the guardian might be weak enough to slay in which case players get lots of gold for killing it, though sinse this would logically result in fewer people fighting guardians, the guardians probably need even more lowered health.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-31 17:18:52

I agree with Dark's idea that there could be a way to not fight the gardions. Maybe you can choose to not fight them, but get a gold penalty, though that  could be problematic if you had less gold than the penalty was. Basicly, there should be a penalty for not fighting them, something like:
"You know that you can't possibly survive this, so you instead choose to run like a chicken. Unfortunatly, while you are running, some gold coins fall from your bag."
Or there could just be a page saying that the gardion tells you to eather pay him money or fight, a troll like thing, pay to continue.

2016-05-31 18:32:52

At the moment even when I've had some damage upgrades, my characters have still been munched by the guardian, so "If you think you can't survive" pretty much also means "if you see a Guardian" big_smile.

I like Mayana's penalty suggestion, and one simple penalty might be a 10 square reduction, eg, you have to go back 10 squares to find a way around the guardian, though even if this route is taken imho the guardians are still waaaaay! too tough right now big_smile.

2016-05-31 19:17:14

I've reset the current Guardians and altered their code.  They should be significantly weaker now and they permanently lose health after battles, meaning even a very powerful Guardian will be chiseled down and defeated.  I haven't tested the newest code yet, but anyone killed by a guardian should have their name listed.  This should let you feel a warm and fuzzy bond with the names on the death list, when the haunted refrigerator leaps from the ruins and bashes your head in, or it can make you proud to have avenged all those people after you fire an arrow through the brain of the 6-legged lunch lady.

I've also found and fixed the rage bug that was still using it all up, even on very weak enemies.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-31 19:49:54

Thanks for the new update, Aprone. Time to kill the brain eating bear for once!
The rage bug still doesn't seem to be fixed, though. tried playing as a warrier and had 10 rage at that point. the enemy I got had only 3 health, but still, after I killed it, I had no rage left:
Rushing out from behind rocks, these spiders bite and sting without mercy. This creature has 3 health and deals between 2 and 3 damage per attack.

It took 2 swings to kill the Wrathful Tarantula, and it dealt 4 damage to you in the process. You have gained 6 gold.
2 swings is a bit to much, because I had 10 rage, enough to scare some week little spider.

2016-05-31 19:53:37

Cool, I'll be interested to see how the guardians work particularly because the lack of them let my last two chars really! get some distanceout into the wilds :d.

I was however wondering if there could be a confirm on the giveup screen either to make a guardian or settle down, sinse currently I've accidently mde two guardians and given up twice, which was very annoying when I'd just resolved to see how far I could go :d.

2016-05-31 20:33:24

Hmm, I'll check on the rage stuff again.

I hadn't planned on confirm screens mostly because I have been testing the game using an Android tablet with the screen reader enabled.  It sort of serves as its own confirm button since I have to first select the button and then double tap to confirm I want to press it.  I didn't think about it on other platforms where there is no such confirm.  I'll give that some thought.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-31 22:37:23

Wow! You actually went to the trouble of testing it with a screen reader on a mobile device?
That's freaking awesome...  I really wish karma wasn't broken so I could give you a thumbs up!

2016-05-31 22:44:54

woooooosh!
I manage to end on space 631 with my ranger Narukami,  that demonic thingy  was killed me
that's was    very fun lol
I should thanks  to mayana and fictor's setelman (ugh how to spell that) big_smile
I spent my time on your shop to upgrade my stuff
smile

2016-05-31 22:52:13

YepI could get a bit carried away with the b key big_smile. Though I'd suggest this be optional as some people might not want them.

I also don't really see the point in berzerker mode yet, though I've not experimented with it much.

2016-05-31 23:55:53

Seems like the thief really doesn't have enough drawbacks as opposed to the other class's alternates.
Yes, it's more likely they can run into guardians and traps, but it's also more likely for them to run into good things like crates, stars, ponds and settlements.
And while the increased amount of encounters with enemies means they need to buy more arrows and possibly more health, the double gold makes it so that really isn't an issue.

Before the alternates, it used to be that generally, rangers could go the farthest, mages could make the most money, and warriors could have the most fun.
Now that we do have them how ever, rangers can not only often get quite far, but they can also make allot of money, and the number of upgrades they get as contrasted with say, the warrior, is very high.

Of course that's fine, but that's why I suggest that the thief not be able to use arrows, but only the knife, and that it should always do maximum damage on the first attack; E.G. 4 out of 4 unupgraded, in order to simulate a backstab.
You get enough upgrades within a short period of time as a thief in order for the knife to become exponentially more useful anyway, so this shouldn't cramp anyone's stile too much.

Also, loving this game more and more on every update; here's to hoping graffiti and possibly saving or at least exiting at settlements shows up in the next couple of versions.  smile

2016-06-01 01:32:57

Nice idea Simber, the  thief is pretty awsome, though the lightning  wizard is pretty much a one hit fest when you've got some upgrades, the only thing to watch out for are those traps.

One ting I'd like to see are tombstones, ie, you get to see where people died, and maybe loot their corpse?

It'd also be interesting to see some  different monsters and special rewards later on to compensate for the amount of upgrades people have. Obviously not completely but a little.

Imho the warrior needs some teaking sinse right now it seems to be the most problematic class, especially the berserker. Perhaps let the berserker do some more damage in return for less armor?

2016-06-01 02:57:43

So  after a bit more experimenting, the only class I'm unable to select on iOS is the Ranger .

2016-06-01 08:27:54

Is it possible to avoid stepping into a trap, or is that ment to be just bad luck? Any ways of survive this? smile The armor upgrates, has this been put into the game yet? I can't seem to find it. Finally, I'm not sure on how the rage works. It seems to randomly disappear, but it might just be me who don't know how it should work.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-06-01 09:09:59

Is it maybe possible to not double the amount of damage taken by traps? 20 hp at once  is really a problem...

2016-06-01 09:47:08

Defender, I'll admit I wasn't closing my eyes while using the screen reader on the tablet though.  So I guess that was sort of cheating.  smile

Dark, what I intended for Berserker mode is a very dangerous mode that you'd only use for a short time between settlements.  As long as you survived to the next settlement, to heal up and change back to normal mode, you could have raised your maximum health by a handful of points.  From that point forward you would have the advantage of say 38 health instead of 30 you would have had otherwise.  If Berserker mode was done a few times, at the right times, you could be able to travel past the last settlement with a hefty 50+ health.  That should let you make it further than others, so long as luck isn't holding a grudge against you.

I agree 100% about the thief.  From what I've seen on the server logs, thieves are over powered.  I plan to do more tweaking once I get more time to code (probably not until Thursday or more likely Friday).  I plan to tweak warrior a bit and I love the graffiti/tombstone type ideas, and am going to try to find a way to put something like that in.  I'm also hoping to mess with sound code to make sure that will work, before getting sounds done.

Dan, I haven't had any trouble selecting a class so I'm not sure how to help.

SLJ, no real way to avoid them.  Armor updates do work (or at least they worked last time I used one), but only the warrior can upgrade armor.  Rage builds up from certain spaces you land on, and when facing an enemy the enemy's health is lowered by however many rage points you have saved up.  It is a way to pre-weaken enemies before you actually fight them, and in some cases you have enough rage built up that the enemy dies before you even battle.

Viktor, I may adjust that, but for the moment it's one of the very scary risks of using Berserker mode.  lol!

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-06-01 11:03:41

@Aprone, I think the warrior will be more effective when rage actually works as it's meant to meaning that yoou have more than one fight in about five where you get rage and more rage generally to use.

While i have tried the build up stratogy you mention with the berserker, I just find I get damaged too much for it to count over all, each time I get to 35 or so health I'm usually so dead I get knocked out next combat.
Also, one thing with the warrior, why does the warrior's damage upgrade only raise the sword damage by one point?
I get that the warrior's damage is more relyable, eg, the sword does 1-6 rather than 0-9, however when dealing with a situation where you need to maximize damage in a short number of turns, the more average stratogy is less helpful over all, especially given the amount of damage the ranger and mage can get up to later.

I'd suggest giving the warrior 2 points of damage per upgrade to compensate, particularly sinse the warrior will also havgreater costs in terms of armor upgrades so will buy less damage gear after all.

Another idea might be to let the warrior have a chance to gain upgrades from other squares, eg, the warrior could find a new shield or something similar on corpses of slane adventurers occasionally.

2016-06-01 13:59:30

Thanks Aprone. Regarding the rage, I have seen that drop to 0 randomly when landing on a space. But I'm not sure on if it's suppose to do that.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-06-01 15:21:19

@Slj  If it is the  stars encounter, yes, you lose all your rage at those squarse,  whether this will make difference in the long run when  the rage bug is fixed and rage plays more part in the  game than it does now we'll have to see.

2016-06-01 16:09:46

heh yeah, thief is  to OP, haha
that's why I could survive to space 631
I'm  more like a  cheater that time lol
well... defender's suggestion is very nice, to make the thief just able to use knife...
smile

2016-06-01 18:04:36

I have a suggestion: The amount of gold you get from killing an enemy should be determined based on how much damage the creature dealt to you. Maybe the damage it could have done and its health should matter as well, but if then only a tiny bit, as fighting against a tough opponent with loads of damage and health doesn't really matter all that much if you kill it before it can get a scratch on you, unless you're unlucky enough so you'll need a couple of hits to finish it off, even with plenty of force in your swing/magic attack/bow.

Errare humanum est!