2017-02-12 22:03:28

yup, that fixed it smile I have a server running, if anyone wants I can expose it to the outside world for a game smile

2017-02-18 08:08:52

So are you saying we now have to host this game ourselves in order to play? WTF? If that's the case I'm going to ve very sad and angry at the same time. It sounds like a really fun game, I want to play it really bad, but I really don't want to have to try and fiddle around to make my own servor. It sounds like a really bad and irritating idea and kind of takes the epicness away from it.

Unless there's a link to play it somewhere....I try the one on the first post but it doesn't work anymore.

2017-02-18 10:51:05

Yes BlindBard, I've handed out the server so that someone else can host it.  I was hosting this game and Seven Shores for a while, but eventually no one was ever on them.  It didn't make sense for me to continue running servers for both of those games when I could better use those resources on games like Swamp and Castaways 2.

If people start showing interest in playing these games again, then I'm sure someone will host them.  This community has several people who have servers they run games on, and usually the only thing stopping them from hosting a new game is needing to know that people will play it.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-02-18 14:22:15

I'd loev to be able to play these two games if someone will set up a server.

2017-02-26 17:40:07

Hi Aprone.
I have just taken a brief look at the server, and wow what an awesome way you've made this... It's very newbie friendly, and also for those who know how to host a website.
I have some questions which I would have wrote to you privately, but maybe others would like to see the answer to those questions as well. So here goes:
1: When running the server, I'm not sure on what's shown in the window. There was something randomly gennerated, maybe an enemy who got killed very quickly and has helped 0 adventures. Then I could click save and refresh. This might sound stupid, but I'm not sure if I need this information or if I can see that in a log file. If I have to run the server, I'll run it on a Linux server using Wine, which means I can't interact with the graphical interface in this window. I can start it, maybe see its output but not press the buttons unless I do something crazy. smile
2. Is it possible to translate the game into other languages? I could just run multiple servers for each language. I can of course translate everything in the txt files, but what about all the other messages in the game?
3. If I add more enemies or make any changes in the txt files, do I then need to restart the server to include the updated text in the files? I'm not sure on how to update the game without braking the players progress, and I want to keep the server as stable as possible. I can shut down the server and start it again very quickly the way I have set up my server. But I'm just not sure on if I need to do that to make the changes take effect.
I have a theme planned for the game. An idea which I have had in my thoughts for more than 10 years, but never had the chance to make anything playable out of it because I have given up on learning to code. smile But this small game have really inspired me to give it a try. big_smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-02-26 19:09:58

Hi SLJ,

The server window contains a list of the game spaces from top to bottom.  Any players who are playing will also show up on that list, but it was only built that way so that I could visually see where everyone was as I designed the game originally.  You will not need to read anything on the server window since it is all decorative.

If you do choose to click on the refresh button, it will update to show you visually who the top players are so far.  The game itself will always be up to date, on the richest player, the one who has traveled the furthest, and so forth.  The server window did not always update itself instantly though, so I put in that button so I could click it just to see how everyone was doing without me actually having to go into the game to see.  I don't think you'd ever need to use the refresh button since it only affects the visuals on the server window and nothing else.

The only button that will matter is the Save button.  Every 5 minutes the server will automatically save everyone's progress, even if you never press the save button.  Pressing the save button just tells the server to instantly save.  I put that button there in case I needed to close down the server, it would let me instantly save and make sure no one lost any of their progress.  Without pressing save, it is possible that the last save was almost 5 minutes ago and people may notice being put back a few spaces.  If you are not able to press the Save button, I don't believe it would be too much of an issue.  5 minutes is a pretty short amount of time, and at the very worst that is how far backward people would be set if you closed down the server and started it again.

This game wasn't designed with other languages in mind, mostly because I was making them quickly when I made them.  I really hadn't given that any thought, and it's a very good question indeed.  You could change the text in the files, but I think a lot of the game would still end up being in English because the server itself wouldn't be translated.  Sorry about that.

If you make any changes to the files, like adding enemies or changing spaces, you would not only have to restart the server, you would have to reset it.  The first time the server runs, it creates a game world and stores it in data.txt.  It uses all of the land and enemy data to create the world, and it's what the players will use when they play.  If you change around enemies or land none of it will show up because the world was already created with the older data.  You'd need to close the server, delete data.txt, and then run the server again so it would create a new world using your new data.  It's not very convenient, but the game wasn't really designed for small changes without starting the world over again.

I really do look forward to what you have in mind SLJ!  Please let us know if you get a server set up, and I for one will be sure to give it a try.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-02-26 22:26:58

Thanks a lot Aprone. It makes sense, and I see the reason for the need of resetting the game to make any changes. I will at leased give it a try, and let you know when I have something playable.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2017-02-26 22:27:48

Hi, I have managed to download the server info for 7shores, but for some reason i can't seem to download the server info for blazing

2017-07-23 07:39:19

I've just posted Blazing server version 0.7 with a small list of changes:

- Fixed a bug that was causing the Berserker warrior to take double damage during enemy encounters.
- Fixed a bug that was causing the Thief mode ranger NOT to take double damage during enemy encounters.
- Thief mode now has a 33% chance of using up an arrow when moving to a new space.  The story is that as a thief, sometimes you must make witnesses disappear (at the cost of an arrow).
- Changing between normal and Lightning mage now correctly doubles or halves your current health.  This prevents players from switching back and forth to get a free instant heal at settlements.
- Warrior rage now works a bit differently.  If an enemy survives your initial attack, the enemy's remaining health is checked.  If your number of saved up rage points is greater than or equal to this remaining health, that many rage points are used to instantly kill it.  This saves you from any counter attack.  If your warrior kills the creature in the initial attack, no rage points are used, and if you do not have enough rage points to actually kill the wounded creature (after the initial attack), no rage points are used.  This allows warriors to save up rage points across battles, until they can be used to save the player from what would be a creature's counter attack.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-07-23 14:39:40

Hi Aprone.
Thanks a lot for this update.
Do I have to delete the data file before the new update works?
It would be awesome if you could make the following new features in the future, but I don't know how difficult it would be:
1: A way to see on the server side what server window is in focus. I'm running two versions of the game, and currently, the window title is the same. So if I have to shut down one of the servers, I have to guess which one to close. smile
2. A simple online chat. It would be cool to chat with the other online players while playing the game.
3. A way to see who's online.
The chat and online list should open in a new window, so you can have the game running at the same time. If you make a chat on the same site as the game, it might be a big window when the chat messages comes in. That could be fixed by adding a chat heading.
Well, just some thoughts if you wanna work on this in the future. smile

Best regards SLJ.

2017-07-23 15:38:12

For this update you shouldn't have to delete any data files.
I'll keep those suggestions in mind.  The online chat is something I've thought of too, but I haven't come up with a good way of pulling it off.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-07-24 08:16:02

Thanks for your reply. I would have updated the server this morning before I leave my home for work, but I don't remember the link to download the server, and I can't find the link on the previous pages in this topic. It would be nice if you would update the first post with the server download link, and maybe change the post to inform people that you don't host the actual game anymore. Reading the first post, people might think you're still hosting the game. big_smile

Best regards SLJ.

2017-07-24 13:13:17

Hey aprone it would be really nice if you could store up health potions, maybe with some limit or other detriment, as a buffer against dying. If your health goes below the maximum damage an enemy could do to you, you drink a potion and regain 20 health.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2017-07-24 15:32:52

Yes, that would indeed be awesome. But I'm not sure if there are any plans for the game in the future.

Best regards SLJ.

2017-07-24 15:40:49

I adjusted my first post and also put the server download link.
I don't really have any official plans for this game, but I may toss in an idea or 2 every now and then.  I'll keep the health potion idea in mind.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-07-25 04:58:25

Blazing has just been updated to version 0.8.  (I'm on vacation away from home so Blazing is one of the few projects I can actually work on)

There have been some cool suggestions made by people, but none of those made it into this update, haha!  Sorry guys but I was just messing around with something and it turned into a new version before I knew it.

This latest version adds in a new character type, called the Trainer.  Trainers have no armor and do only 1 to 2 damage per attack, with no store options to increase it.  Trainers do however have a store option to add +5 to their maximum health.
Trainers survive by using enemy creatures to battle for them.  You start out with a dog, just to get you on your feet.  Each time you move you randomly gain between 1 and 15 percent to your taming ability.  When you don't have a pet and you encounter some sort of non-guardian enemy, your current taming level determines your odds of taming it.  If you fail to tame it, you battle it like usual.  If you do manage to tame it, the battle ends without anyone harming the other, and the creature now travels with you to fight in your place.  A successful taming drops your taming ability back down to zero, where it will slowly climb back up with each move.
There is no way to truly heal your pet, but there is a pet upgrade in the shop that gives it 5 health and raises its maximum attack by 1.  There is no limit to the +5 health so it isn't a normal "heal" that would stop at the pet's maximum health.
If you have no pet when you reach a shop, the pet upgrade is replaced with the option to buy another dog.  In an emergency, buying even a weak pet is better than having none.  The final shop option is to raise your taming ability by 20%, which is also good if your recently tamed pet was killed before your taming ability had a chance to climb back up.

I'm not sure if this new character type is well balanced, but it seems fun enough to play (based on my limited testing).

P.S. Using this updated server will not require a reset, if someone is already using one of the older Blazing versions.  This one will read the files the same way, and pop players right back into the same spot they were before the update.  The only change will be new features and hopefully old bugs no longer annoying anyone.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-07-25 09:01:36

Wow. Thanks a lot for the update, and thanks for putting the link to the server in post 1. You're awesome...

Best regards SLJ.

2017-07-26 11:53:19

Currently if you are a trainer and land on a square that heals you, like pond or stars, you are healed, but not your pet. Is there a chanse you could make it so pets are healed as well?

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2017-07-26 14:35:39

Strongly advocating for a power checking system that will intelligently place weaker enemies at the beginning of the board and stronger ones later on. I don't know whether setting up the board is just totally random now or something, but it also means that on something like SLJ's server, as a trainer your pet usually dies within the first encounter, so you're left super defenseless until you just luck out enough.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2017-07-26 15:23:42

Mayana, I intentionally kept it to where pets do not heal on those spaces.  Rather than healing the same pet so you can keep it through half of the game, trainers rely on their taming ability so they can tame new pets as each old one is killed.

Key, I'll keep that in mind, though the actual problem you're describing is how those custom monsters were made.  Blazing automatically scales up enemy health and damage over time, so custom monsters should be designed knowing that even low level players may encounter them.  That isn't really how things worked out, but I'm not sure I'd consider that a flaw in the actual Blazing game.

Actually, as a trainer I think you'd have a huge advantage (or rather a potential) when playing on SLJ's custom server!  Yes it's true that your starter dog is sadly under powered when you face those monsters, it also means you can tame some pretty epic monsters to battle for you.

When you have no pet and face a new enemy, your taming percentage is used to see if you capture this new creature.  Even if it were some horrid beast that deals 50 damage and has 100 health, if that taming succeeds then you don't have to fight it.  You now have a crazy powerful pet.

You may die a few times before you're lucky enough to capture something strong, but I think trainers are going to do alright on that server.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-07-26 15:39:23

@Aprone, the healing places are quite rare and at least on the classic server most enemies don't have much health to begin with, so I think if they would be restored to max health (or healed for 5 hp if they have more than that), it wouldn't imbalance the gameplay. Currently, on the classic version trainers seem to be the weakest in my opinion.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2019-06-02 17:19:42

Just bumping this topic to see if anybody's made any server for this game they wouldn't mind sharing here? I loved Blazing back in the day and wouldn't mind playing a public map if one exists. Thanks a bunch. smile

Boldly going where everyone's already been.

2019-06-02 17:40:48

Not a bad question to ask. The game's two years old and I'd argue it became a bit of what I can only describe as a modern cult classic before kind of disappearing, and I mean that in the best way possible because it was such a cool little experience with a lot of replay value. It'll be nice if it can return one day.

2019-06-02 17:47:27

So where is the actual game? Only the server pack is in post 1.

2019-06-02 18:02:09

The server is all that is needed. You start your own server, then connect through web.