2024-03-05 21:35:12

Essentially, for the uninformed, Nintendo has sued Tropic Haze LLC, the creators of Citra and Yuzu. Tropic Haze, unwilling to fight, has given everything to the big fat N and agreed for a 2.2M USD setelment.
Fuck Nintendo and their stupid legal team suing everyone to oblivion.
More info as well as a super interesting thread is on GBATemp: https://gbatemp.net/threads/citra-3ds-e … own.650052

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2024-03-05 22:38:57

And to think this all started because Tears of the Kingdom was leaked and was playable on the emulator.

2024-03-05 22:41:26

This was probably the best thing they could do given the circumstances. The content of the Yuzu discord would have come out in discovery and this would have effectively nuked current emulator case law from orbit. Tropic Haze LLC can declare bankruptcy and Nintendo will see little of that 2.4 mill. Lessons will be learned from this. We'll probably see emulator discords put on a much shorter leash thank Christ.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2024-03-05 23:17:56

I think it is just extremely dumb, that because of what ended up being a Nintendo mistake, this happened. Think of it, that's how leaks work. Whenever a company either makes a mistake, or doesn't keep things locked down enough by NDA's for chains or what have you, we get the things that the companies don't want us to know about, like the next display on your iPhone or how useless the next CPU generation will be as an upgrade. Or, you get entire games leaked, or the content of in game purchases leaked days or weeks or even months in advance and your imediate response is to orbital rofl laser strike everyone involved with your piss off money. ,

2024-03-05 23:36:22 (edited by azure 2024-03-05 23:37:39)

storeyour copies of emulators, and goodbye Nintendo. Here in my country we can't even buy Nintendo games and their store, we have to buy them in other currencies, and that is very expensive

meet the eternal legend, accessibility group for games and applications in Brazil. main group to bring accessible games to the blind.
official website    
our discord server
youtube channel

2024-03-06 01:07:53

For switch emulation we still have Ryujinx. For 3DS? Well we can only wait for Mikage. Panda 3DS doesn't have sound emulation.

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2024-03-06 01:17:56

Thank god the latest builds of the respective emulators have been archived, at least these will be usable. For Citra that means most features work quite decently and the vast majority of games will still be playable, and there'll of course be forks that come out, but it's a huge shame that they kkilled it off.
I honestly didn't particularly care for Yuzu but when I found out Citra went away along with it I got a lot more pissed.

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2024-03-06 01:58:37

yeah, because there isn't a good alternitive released yet. For switch we have Ryujinx, which works better anyways.

2024-03-06 02:38:35

Honestly I'm not surprised that it came to this. I do think it was way way way too soon to be bragging about switch emulation, about o how "we can get your games running better than you can and we got it before everyone else". Multiple parties are responsible for what happened here, not just nintendo. The group behind this emulator have a really strong case against them, a part of that is what people used their emu for, but nintendo is responsible for that too. They have bad preservation practices and their hardware is kinda old at this point. I think a 3ds emulator was impacted by this as well.

2024-03-06 02:52:18

Honestly I get why Yuzu was taken down, as they offered patches for tears of the kingdom on their patreon before it officially released.

2024-03-06 13:46:24

I will never give Nintendo money again. This with their refusal to add even a few accessibility options,  and not just for blind folks... It's just one of those companies I can no longer support, like Disney.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2024-03-07 06:48:02

@10 the patches were by third parties and never on the Patreon. Nintendo was lying their ass off about that and hoping no one would notice.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2024-03-07 07:49:59

now, we need to figure out ryujinx accessibility, the gtk ui isn't as gtk isn't on windows, and the avalonia ui isn't accessible, though it might be avalonias fault, if not, someone go deal with this on github please, and no, ocr is not what i consider accessible

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2024-03-07 12:24:51

They finally faced out GTK UI, so now avalonia is the only one.

2024-03-07 12:42:36

Well, in my opinion nintendo was also mad that they were making money on patreon, and that was quite a decent amount per month. But well, fighting with those corporations would make it even worse, because they could make it so the law would forbid emulating games all together.

Hey, if you wanna chat, add me on discord.: VIPPotato#3363
or you can chat with me on telegram: https://t.me/VIPPotato
Regards, and take care.

2024-03-07 15:41:35

RIP Citra

End of Post!
Leos signing off.
CFN ID: LeosKhai. (Always looking to fight people)
Discord: leos_khai

2024-03-07 17:27:01

@12 lol I know for a fact that the patches was on their patreon, as I was a patreon at that time.

2024-03-07 20:24:43

The patreon where they said they wouldn't be touching anything to do with TotK until 1 day after the official release? That patreon yeah?

2024-03-07 23:58:02

Yeah this is a real good reason not to do business with them. They clearly don't give a damn about accessibility, even knowing that it's possible to make things accessible they just don't care.

zenothrax wrote:

I will never give Nintendo money again. This with their refusal to add even a few accessibility options,  and not just for blind folks... It's just one of those companies I can no longer support, like Disney.

2024-03-08 00:10:41

You guys its too early to jump to conclusions. The switch 2 isn't even out yet.

2024-03-08 04:13:32

Yeah. I can't wait for what Nintendo has in store for us when it comes to the switch 2.

2024-03-08 18:11:33

2024 is not looking to good tbh

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2024-03-08 19:17:48

I'm not fussed about Citra and Yuzu shutting down
1. We have Panda3DS, which has Lua. Efforts are now going towards making that the best emulator for 3DS. I consider this to be a positive thing
2. Everyone now knows about DMCA, Yuzu got screwed because they were decrypting roms on the fly, they should have emulated Citra and only run roms after decryption.
3. Nintendo has done us a favour. Shutting down Yuzu means they don't need to bother implementing security on the Switch2. In 5 years time, there will be another emulator since the Switch2 will be backwards compatible with original Switch. The Switch2 won't be using any modern AI featured CPU so this will be easy.
4. Nintendo won't be implementing any accessibility features on the Switch2 so no point in looking forward to it

2024-03-08 19:50:43

Suyu is here. They are working off of Yuzu. I only wish Mikage was here. Panda 3DS, while promising, has nothing on Mikage.

2024-03-08 20:39:43

There is also Nuzu, in addition to Suyu.