2024-02-25 18:13:27

This came up in a separate topic, I don't want to hijack the thread so I'm making a separate post:

KenshiraTheTrinity wrote:

I wonder if I shouldn't have gotten siralim instead of stardew valley. The latter is still a great game, but I stopped playing it after 2 and a half in-vame years, having logged over 100 hours into the game. Some things that pull me out of the stardew valley experience, using accessible tiles to auto navigate to an area makes it almost feel like I'm asking someone to walk somewhere for me, which is technically whats happening. I mean at least with pokemon access we still have to make the effort of traveling to our destination, though with stardew's time mechanic I can't see things working any better in the current setup. Consequently, the maze event during the Halloween selebratioj is trivialize by how easy it is to just choose the goal and have the computer walk to it for you without a second thought. Thats probably my biggest gripe, but that the arcades don't work for us was a major bummer for me, because: a, I prefer as much of my games to be as playable as possible, however accessible the core is, and b, I am really big on arcade games, so it was such a blow to be excited to discover them only to be let down by our inability to play them. The fishing mechanic I could forgive, were it not for the 2 problems outlined above, but as it is, leaning on a fishing mod in conjunction with the other issues, I no longer felt like I was getting an authentic experience. Like I said, its still a great game. It was interesting to see and understand all the hype around it, and I will probably return to it at some point especially with the 1.6 update coming out, those are just the things that kill it for me right now.

So what about siralim? Is navigation automated now too? Is there any side thing we cannot do? I read from the topic that it works with jaws and nvda, so if it relies on ocr, how else is the screen reader used? For example, are there any messages communicated through nvda? I think that with nvda's new ocr refresh feature, having to rely on it isn't such a hassle, if there was controller support, so is there? Thats something else that bummed me about stardew, because all the mods combined used too many keys to map to a controller, but the game gave rumble feedback that you can't get from a keyboard. Anyway, curious to know more about peoples experiences.

I'm really interested in the navigation mechanics in blind accessible games. As I see it, sighted players see an exit and push a direction control to guide their character towards it without much thought. If you have something like a sound guiding you where the exit is, travelling to it means you have to listen and keep adjusting your direction, which could become confusing depending on what else is going on? What if you moved to somewhere near the exit and had the option to auto path to the exit? Or maybe something that said 'exit is northeast' or whatever direction and periodically gave updates only if you asked where the nearest exit was?
I see a lot of players managed Diablo IV by hitting a wall and walking along it until they find a door or they use monster sounds to know where to go, but it should be much easier than that to find your way around a game. Other games I've looked at seem to use audio beacons, but while they give autonomy to the player, finding the point you want to go to could become a minigame in itself, especially when compared with a sighted player who sees where they want to go and moves there without much thought or effort. I'd like to see the same setup for blind players - trying to find where you're going shouldn't be a frustrating minigame, you should be able to go where you need to so you can focus on the real game.

I get that people want to do things for themselves but just wondering where the balance is between autonomy without being frustrating and making navigation accessible without feeling like being guided or on rails?

2024-02-25 20:09:23

All I can say is, good luck finding the median.
I played with sight and without, and even like that, I wouldn't be able to find it myself.
A few examples:

• Final Fantasy 7 PS1 had arrows pointing to exits, while it made it easier to find, not seeing the area would make it daunting. Guess even sighted players needed help finding them. Finding my way with sounds is hard to imagine.

• Final Fantasy 9 PS1 had an auto-pilot for the airship, so even sighted players could automatically go places without navigating there themselves. So, why isn't that an okay option for a blind player?[/]

Games and player's skills are so varied, can there be a median?

Every day is a good day!
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.

2024-02-25 20:19:50 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2024-02-25 20:28:14)

Here are examples of different navigation methods in blind audio games.

In shadow line, a Japanese audio game with graphics, aside from footstep sounds, which is going to be a common theme here, you can hear wind sounds for every step you take where there is an opening. Since shadow line's areas are laid out in seperate screens such as in the original zelda on nes, whenever you walk past exits to the next area, you will hear a swish sound, from the direction where the opening is, if from north or south, then the sound has a different pitch. Furthermore, you can pause the game and "feeel" around the map with the audio camera which you can move around tile by tile as it plays a sound appropriate for that tile, be it a footstep sound (possibly of different terrains) or a bump sound for barriers. That way, one can build a mental nap of what's around them.

When the gameboy pokemon games were made accessible, this camera feature was eventually added to the accessibility scripts, so now you can feel for edges, boddies of water, ice, and borders without having to walk to them. The games already had wall bump and door entry sounds, which I used to get around on real hardware,the scripts added footsteps for different terrains, made the text and menus read aloud with nvda, and added a path finder you could cycle through to find doors, npcs, signs, and other such items and exits, and give you step by step directions on how to reach them when prompted. However, it is not always possible to rely on the path finder, such as when something is obscuring the way, so that is where the camera function becomes handy. Personally, I'm still holding out hope for accessibility scripts for the early dragon quest/warriors games, because they play similarly, wall sounds and all, just the area layout is structured differently, there are hazards when moving around, and the interact button is its own menu so one can't spam it to find things.

Going back to audio games for a second, some games like paladin of the sky and manamon play a continuous tone for the walls, regardless if you move or are stationary
Like with shadow line, the sounds come from the direction of the wall, if north or south, then it is higher or lower in pitch. Doors are represented in the same way, but with different sounds. There isn't a whole lot going on when moving about the world in the last 2 or 3 examples, so the continuous tones isn't annoying, but shadow line has enemies and combat happening in real time so its representation of openings work for it.

As a side note, in mainstream games with 3d traversal, such as God of war ragnarok, ninja gaiden 3, the last of us series on ps5, navigation assist points you in the next objective  when you push the right analog stick in, but you still have to walk to the destination on your own. Personally, im fine with that, as it leaves room for exploration.

2024-02-25 20:40:31

In response to 2, which was submitted while I was writing 3, while i acknowledge that fast travel and auto navigation is a common theme in mainstream games, especially now, its the areas in  between that I'm concerned about. In regards to your example in final fantasy IX, you still have to work your way to the airship. If auto travel was actually a feature in stardew valley without having to resort to mods, I don't think that I would be so put off by it. At least I'd know I was getting into.

2024-02-25 21:12:00 (edited by musicfairy 2024-02-25 21:15:06)

I am one who loves the Automatic navigation in Stardew and other places. Getting lost is my real life and so fumbling around in games trying to simply get somewhere, (unless perhaps it's something like a puzzle or maze,) is not fun and frankly quite frustrating. I recognize that people want, (need, even,) more independent control over their movements, and I think there's something to that, because I know for many it just feels limiting to be guided, also like real life. So this isn't me saying one mode is better than the other, but that perhaps, rather than trying to create something that fits all people, it might be an idea to provide several different options so people can play in ways that feel good to them. So often I feel like auto-nav is condemned, and it always makes me a little nervous as someone who really struggles with navigating on my own, unless aiming for a specific sound in something like the Veil, for example. That I can do, but anything that requires I have a specific understanding of the world around me, coordinates, compass, etc, I will instantly feel very intimidated and likely struggle a great deal. Hence, me having abandoned Stardew for the past year because I couldn't figure out how to place buildings without it being random and taking 50 tries because something I didn't see was in the way.

2024-02-25 21:42:13

"As I see it, sighted players see an exit and push a direction control to guide their character towards it without much thought"

This is actually rarely the case, as there as usually obstacles in the way. Sometimes they can be navigated over or under, sometimes they have to be walked around. So sometimes it's more a sequence of what you described, but it's also more complex sometimes too.. for example  your destination is to the northeast, and there's an obstacle in front of you, that you can head northeast or northwest around. But you have to head northwest around the obstacle, as you can see ahead in the distance that if you head northeast around the obstacle it'll take you to a cliff face that you can't get past between you and the destination, whereas northwest the path curves back around and gradually uphill, taking you to the top of the cliff. This is why pathfinding has been such a big deal in accessible mainstream games with complex environments.

2024-02-25 23:00:13

I've seen some people here complain about how accessibility in a mainstream game equates to watching a game play itself, and in some respects, they are right, and I don't want to do that, but thats what it felt like I was doing in stardew as I waited for my character to get from point a to point b. By the same token, I can understand post 5's desire to be able to get to places automatically, and that should totally be an option for those that want it. There just isn't enough in the mod to play any other way efficiently yet. I think maybe a scanner that pans from left to right ahead of us every couple seconds to give us audio cues of what's coming could help. A game that really does this well is new horizon, a space exploration audio game which I believe has some graphics. This method could be used to indicate slopes, ledges, walls, probably platforms and suspended objects as well if you could tilt the angle of the scanner, at least thats how I see things working out.

2024-02-26 00:02:27 (edited by magurp244 2024-02-26 00:05:22)

An interesting topic. Hm, didn't swamp or such have a cane system for pinging adjacent surfaces? Anyway, I've been noticing an undercurrent here that while games are accessible, there is a notable difference in the intended experience due to constraints in the accessibility interface. Although being able to scan for nearby items may not be as much of a cheat as people may think, since many games highlight interactable objects for sighted players as well. Its also the same for pathing to exits, as there can be a designated visual compass or objective marker pointing the way.

Other than the aforementioned Shadowline, where you can feel along walls or explore based on footsteps/sounds, its difficult to translate the sense of exploration and discovery one might find in free form environmental navigation. Its one of the reason's I'm fond of the concept of sonified depthmap navigation, the sound of screeching cats notwithstanding. It generates a passive topographical view of your environment you can use to navigate based on your own interpretation, as opposed to a designated waypoint or notification pointing it out.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2024-02-26 11:39:50

Thanks for all the replies, that's quite a variety and as @Garr and @MusicFairy said, there's no median, rather a need to cater for a wide range of abilities and playstyles. @Ian, I agree, I was over-simplifying the navigation procedure. I think auto-navigation needs to be flexible enough to allow the player to deviate from the path anytime they choose to, if an obstacle presents itself for example, to either confront the obstacle or find a different route. As you say that can be quite a challenge.
@KenshiraTheTrinity thanks for all the detailed examples, in particular I like the idea of pausing a game to use an audio camera to build a mental picture of your surroundings. I think auto-navigation is definitely needed but must be done in such a way as it doesn't ruin the experience of exploration.
@Magurp244 I know nothing of sonified depthmap navigation so I'm going to read up on it, thank you!

2024-02-26 11:44:01

Swamp and New Horizons use similar-ish navigation assists. The biggest differences I can think of is that, where Swamp has beacons, NH has autopilot that can orient you toward your selected destination, and where Swamp announces zones only when you enter/exit/press the "say zone" key, NH scans for zones ahead of you / immediately left or right of your line-of-'sight. These different approaches make sense in context, IMO, since Swamp is a zombie survival FPS, and New Horizons is a space trade/exploration game.
Swamp's accessibility tools feel very similar to real-life accessibility tools from the time it was made. The radar functions very similarly to a cane, zones work like the announcements from GPS devices like the Trecker Breeze (or asking Siri "Where am I?"), and the beacons... IDK, did any existing product other than metal detectors work like Swamp's beacons at the time?
Since a cane is useful in space only when landing on rough terrain (Odysseus), and you should be able to identify your destination literally millions of miles away, New Horizons using radar to scan for interactive objects, using long-range zone-finding and autopilot also makes since in context.
And VGStorm's wall detection makes some since for a top-down, exploration-heavy RPG, where you want to travel quickly, but aren't drowning in realtime challenges for which the wall sounds would become distracting (or get themselves overwhelmed).
Communicating as much information in audio as sighted players can get in a glance is more or less impossible, just because of how parallel vision is compared to how serial audio is. IRL, canes use sound, true, but they're primarily a haptic tool. And since we can't expect every blind gamer to have a Novint Falcon, Logitech Wingforce mouse, or ... comfort with cane-use, that doesn't translate so well into PC or mobile games. The amount of subtle information that one can train to pick up from natural audio is great (not Daredevil great, but great nonetheless), but the complexity of the physics involved and the small market of users who care mean that the tech to accurately simulate genuine virtual soundscapes is way, way behind the visual counterpart.
So we're kinda stuck with having to figure out which solution works best for the specific type of game, designing that around how well it melds with the rest of the game sounds, and, oh yes, throwing in tons of settings that users can change because a one-size-fits-all solution is proving elusive. (For an example of how complex the controls can get without being too overwhelming for players, take a look at Swamp's keyconfig.ini file. For the simpler versions, see Shadowrine and Manamon.)

I've been trying a hybrid VGStorm-style wall detection, limited vOICe-style sonifier, and Bokurano Daibouken-style object viewer and ledge detection. It ... isn't going so well as I'd hoped, but what ever does the first time?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2024-02-26 12:02:49

@1
Interesting topic.

I'm going to give a couple of differing solutons:
1. The Last Of Us Part I+II:
TLOU1 and 2's navigation system simply consists of the player pressing a button and the game orients you automatically towards where you need to go.  However, you have to repeatedly do this pass through various "waypoints" which each have their own sound cue when passed through.
As much as this system does work, it is not 100% flawless, as it can get you turned around in circles at points.  There is an error cue that plays when you need to do something else to progress, such as killing all enemies in a room for instance.
2. God Of War Ragnarok:
This is an evolution of the system seen in TLOU, as instead of using these small pre-defined waypoints (or at least not having the additional audio cues present), it feels much more streamlined.  HOwever, as most on this forum can attest, the navigation assist here is still not perfect either as there are areas that are inaccessible (such as when the game doesn't actually take you to entrances or intermediate objectives to get to side quests etc).  Moreover, with the game not tutorialising when you need to progress to the next action (i.e. if you arrive at a place and have to then stop and aim), it's more of a process of trial and error to a degree at this time, but it's a step in the right direciton .
3. Gears 5: Navigation Ping Escape Mode (Escape Ping for short).
Escape Ping, to give it its shortened title, sees you follow a breadcrumb tril (depending on the settings you enable or tweak) through a tile-based map, identifying doors, vaultable cover and the path itself.  whilst it's not perfect, this is the system that's given me the greatest feeling of player agency, as you run through and can have free movement at the same time, even allowing me to lead squads of gamers without sight in a multiplayer setting.
The Coalition did write a blog post discussing the positives and pitfalls of the current system as well, if people are interested to read it.

I do think that focusing on how "blind" people navigate in the real world and attempting to apply that to videogames is a flawed endeavour, in part because you want inforamtion parity with sighted players rather than what you yourself could obtain in the real world, I'd argue.  Let's say a sighted player sees an object they have to dislodge to progress up high on a ledge in the distance.  As someone without sight myself, I wouldn't probably know that was there unless someone told me or I knew in advance, for instance.
You want both players to know that the object is there, somehow.  Even if that were a ping indicating there's an object you need to hit, that's a start, so you then ahve to line up your shot or throw etc and then land it to progress, just like a sighted player would.  I'll stop now as we're getting into differing territory, but there are a few recent navigational highlights.
An honourable metnion actually goes to Assassin's Creed Mirage which, whilst it can't be completed without sighted assistance, does have a new mechanic - turning to an objective actually narrates what your objective is and how far away it is, thus adding that semblence of free movement/greater agency.  However, much like Ragnarok, it doesn't account for intermediate objectives, meaning that if you had to get through a locked door, for example, you wouldn't get the opportunity to find the keys without aid from someone else.

I hope this has been useful and I'm happy to answer questions if anyone has any.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2024-02-26 12:52:46 (edited by magurp244 2024-02-26 12:55:08)

@9
Your unlikely to find much available for it, since it hasn't been implemented in anything but prototypes. There is some mention with The vOICe for sonfied depthmaps, and I think a mobile version done with an Xbox Kinect, but the closest working game example is probably Audiocraft. Essentially, a depthmap is a greyscale image thats usually part of 3D rendering buffers, with close objects being white, and far objects fading to black. By filtering that through a sonifier like the vOICe, it can hopefully give an idea of the topography in front of a player to navigate by. My own particular implementation in Audiocraft also comes with a filter function, so as to isolate particular types of terrain or objects if so desired. So, theoretically, if your looking for people or treasure chests, you could go all Predator mode and filter out those particular objects as you sonify.

2024-02-26 13:39:29

Full-blown depthmap sonification can be overwhelming if you haven't trained with it, but it is the best way to get what amounts to a greyscale version of the screen in audio. The question is how much of a learning curve is acceptable (something I'm bad at keeping minimized, lol ).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2024-02-26 15:35:22

Hi !
This is the topic I've been waiting for so long, without daring to create it myself, considering the reactions I encountered when talking about TLOU.
You all make interesting points. The real chalenge is indeed to recreate an illusion of comple environments, in real time if possible, and without confusing the player. To me the point is to keep in mind that, eventhough some of us have difficulties with orientation, and picturing a three d environment, others would really love to make use of these particular skills if it participates in the game's immersion process.
Navigation assistaznce has never been my thing, atleast not on its own. For instance, TLOU's navigation totally ruyined the fun for me. Not only was I guided from point to point, as if I was in some kind of interactive movie rather than in a game, but most of all, navigatin was nearly impossible otherwise. I could of course deviate from the path, but with no audio beacons, no way at all to hear how the map was designed, it was simply fruistrating. So I stuck to the path, as I was told, and never had the feeling I was making choices, ctonrolling my character.
Of course, and you pointed that out very well, it leads us to the technical question: how else could we do, atleast in complex environments. Honnestly I don't know. Right now I'm simply worried about autonav becoming a standart, a norm, not because we didn't find any other options, but mostly because it is often described as an ideal accessibility feature, which I must disagree with.
The thing is, most of the other features described here work pretty well in an audiogame. The manamon navigation system works perfectly for an rpg with a 2d map, AHC has one of the best, if not perfect, navigation system in my opinion but again, it doesn't have to deal witrh heights, vertical cameras or even complex paths.
Stw manages to deal with such things, but only because the gameplayh itself is quite slow, meaning we have the time to move a virtual audio camera arround in order to explore the area and find out about potential dangers/points of interest.
Mistworld, on the other hand, proposes another type of gameplay, quite faster if not nervous, and a navigation/targetting system that, aztleast tfor me, is pretty well designed. It allows a real time group management, a quick and efficient map analysis. But it also allow us to observe something that, to me, is the major issue devs have to deal with. In mistworld, the navigation system is, as said, quite complete and precise. Technhically you can, in a few clicks and a few steps, have a fair idea of the map you're exploring. Still the big majority of players keep walking along the walls, bumping into them, and even then, getting lost in squares and mostly geometrically simple areas. Conclusion : finding the absolute best navigation system is worthless unless players start to actually use it at its full potential.

To conclude this probably to long post (my bad), I'd say that visually impaired players need to learn to trust true navigation again. Those who are affraid of exploring in real life (which is perfectly understandable)  could truely enjoy running arround in a game, like we use to do in the first audiogame generations. As for the technical part, I'd say the only way I see a suitable option is by merging most of the ideas we talked about toghether. From AHC or audioquake, there's probably the opening detection system to keep in mind. From many other games, the constant beacons for doors, stairs, items... From shadow line or shades of doom, a footstep based detection system could be a great addition. From mistworld, an elaborated targetting system. I'm not saying it would be easy to create or even to learn, but I'm pretty sure it would be worth trying.

All the best,
Simon

2024-02-26 16:34:44

@14
Respectfully, I believe you may be misunderstanding: It is not auto-nav that is considered an ideal accessibility feature, but any kind of navigation system.  Whether that's an automatic system or not is partly up to the devs, partly up to the tech, the engines, the complexity... You get the idea.
I personally didn't find that the automatic TLOU style of navigation ruined it for me, just the fact that I could play through the game start to finish, including latterly on the hardest difficulty (Grounded) was a great step forward compared to having to get sighted assistance.  Granted, it wasn't and still isn't perfect, far from it and it could definitely use improvement in future titles that adopt a similar approach, including allowing for compatibility with side quests and the like.
As to your points about trusting "true navigation", speaking as someone who played audiogames really from the early 2000s onwards, I would say that just exploring aimlessly has never been something that interests me or even is actually that fun for me.  I want to have a sense of purpose, of where I'm going, of an objective at the end.  This is best facilitated by a system like A Hero's Call, wherein you have a beacon to walk to and can do so, getting caught up in combat along the way, finding an NPC or other items etc.
Some of us don't want to visualise every single detail in information derived from an image directly, don't want to have to brute force our way through complex environments just because there's too much information to contend with.  What we want instead is just the ability to enjoy the game and push our skills to our limits with an element of escapism.
I also believe that, since audiogames have stagnated over the past 15 or so years, maybe even closer to 20 with very few exceptional innovations, it is probably best to only use audiogames as a point of reference and devise systems from their skeletal frameworks, rather than cloning those and implementing them directly.  After all, by way of example, most audiogames from the earlier days were designed at a time when game controllers as we know them now didn't exist in audio-only circles, joysticks were an afterthought and keyboard control was paramount.  Trying to fit a complex navigation or targeting system into a mainstream game that may solely rely on controller, for instance would be difficult.
But again, that's a different discussion, just thought I'd share my perspective.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2024-02-26 17:36:43 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2024-02-26 18:00:49)

Yeah, honestly I'm fine with systems like in the last of us or God of war ragnarok, where they point you in the way to go  like it was demonstrated in post 1, I am the one who still have to direct the character towards the destination, and I am responsible if something of interest is nearby and decide to ignore nav assist for a bit. The more time I'm actually interacting with the game, the more immersive the experience. This is an example of auto travel that I would find acceptible:

In many games  traveling to a different map location is done via a menu  and once the location, bam, you're there, or you might get a travel animation while the game loads the area. Right now the best example of this that comes to mind is in the Libra of souls mode in soul calibur VI. You select your destination and confirm  then the caravan takes you there and it takes maybe 3 or 4 seconds at most, and at the very least, half a second, and you can be ambushed along the way, so you aren't just sitting idle waiting to finish traveling like I was doing with stardew. If you did have to wait for a character to finish traveling  I wouldn't mind so long as there was something else I could be doing, such as directing another unit's path like in soul calibur III chronicle of the sword rts campaign. At least then  I'm still actively engaging with the game.

I want to take a second and be fair to stardew valley, because it does have some of the things I wanted. For example, you can actually navigate a curser tile by tile and tell exactly what's there. This is in fact how you deal with crops and furniture placement. The only thing is that this takes time, and time is always moving forward, unless you install a time stop mod, which makes it too tempting to just slow or stop time and do everything and talk to everyone people wouldn't realistically have the time for. The access mod does have sounds for npcs and walls  to its credit, but they just aren't quite optimal yet last I checked, with them being off by default, the frequency kof playback not saving, and no way to differentiate north from south. Besides that, a lot of my time playing the game has just been sitting and waiting for my character to chase down an npc or exit, and thats just not as engaging to me as it would be if I was in control instead of some scripts. This is also context sensitive, if I enter coordinates to a ship and it takes me somewhere, then ok, cool, but my character in stardew isn't a ship.

2024-02-26 17:57:50

I definitely agree with 15. To me, the actual travel or exploration is not the fun, but rather the interactions, the story, the game. Unless the game is really about being lost and finding your way, (in which case it probably wouldn't be a game I'd pick up,) this wouldn't be my reason for play, and so I would much rather have something to point me in the right direction, whatever that looks like.

Also, one man's perfect is another's poison--I could not, for the life of me, wrap my head around AHC's navigation and gave up after 1.5H of trying to get where I needed to go, stumbling into various houses/yards, and getting horribly lost. In defense of the game, it's possible I didn't understand something important, and that experience + impressions I had from playthroughs made me think the game wouldn't have brought me a lot of enjoyment so I haven't tried again, but ideal is the absolute furthest thing I think of when I think of that game's nav. I know it was fantastic for a lot of people, though, so this isn't me at all saying it was bad--it was very advanced and very successful--just not what I, as a gamer, get on with. Everyone is going to come at play, and at travel within that play, so differently. For me, I'm much more concerned with choosing where I want to go in the general sense, (e.g. are we going to the forest or the mountains next,) and choosing value/dialogue/story choices. Anything else I will happily sit back and let something else do. I do hope though that more systems come out that enable more independent navigation because I know that's very, very important to many people, but I hope alongside these systems comes also some sort of assistance, be it in the style of Stardew or something more like TLOU. Really enjoying this discussion and reading everyone's thoughts.

2024-02-26 19:03:23 (edited by Arkandias 2024-02-26 19:04:44)

Hi,
Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking forward to getting lost in a game. For me those are not the only two ways, being guided (even slightly), or getting lost. Between these options, there are plenty of navigation systems that might work.
To pick up your comparison @17, more than choçosing my global destination, I'd rather stop on my way, hearing people talking or even wanting to know what the landscape sounds like if I climb that hill even if it's not on the linear pathern the game's accessibility feature wants me to follow. Another example might be the aproach of a building. The nav assist (manual or auto activated) might guide me near the main entrance. But what if I want to check the back of the building, the windows, even if I end up opening the main door, just to have a more tactical approach, to see what might be waiting for me inside?
In the last of us, nothing prevents me from walking arround of course, except the fact that it won't be particularly useful since the game won't give me the info I'm looking for. I would more likely end up doing exactly what you all described in the previous posts as stumbling arround, spending much more time than necessary on a tiny part of the game.
I definitely get what a nav assist is made for, and if I don't enjoy that option as much as you do, I still think I'm getting the idea, especially in a game like the last of us which is afterall mostly story based. On the other hand the point I must respectfully disagree with is that it might be the only alternative against pure random walking and confusion. You are right in saying that, without any assist in a game that allready has no beacon or echoing footsteps , radar or anything, we would never find our way or very unlikely. But I can't be the only one wanting to explore, to get distracted by alternative ways, to follow npc's just to sazy what they're about. I've always been the kind of player wanting to discover secrets in games, to find out more about the lore, and still to enjoy the main storyline. As much as I get your appreciation of these options, I think all profiles of players deserve a chance to discover the full potential of a game.

That being said, I also know how hard it can be to develop such features, but I'm entirely convinced it worth the extra amound of work.

All the best,
Simon

2024-02-26 19:36:24

Oh, yes! 100%, people need to be able to choose to go off path. I, too, would love to, say, be able to stop if I hear a conversation, or choose how I come at a building. More and more paths to navigation also absolutely need to exist. I was more saying that, as someone terrible with navigation, I do not want to necessarily be forced to make my own way without some sort of more direct guide--perhaps that guide could have several options, allowing you to very much choose your objective or leave it altogether, but a guide, none the less. Again, though, different strokes and all that! We shouldn't be forced to wander, and also shouldn't be forced to stay on the road when that isn't something required of another player.

2024-02-27 01:14:50 (edited by Graeme 2024-02-27 01:19:00)

Thank you all for the great conversation. Discussions like this are so important to make progress in accessibilty, and you just don't know who's reading this, it could be a potential game developer, be it a small indie dev or a representative of a triple A studio.
@Arkandias You should never be afraid to voice your point of view. No one has to agree with you but you still have the right to be heard. As it is you make some great points that are nicely balanced by @MusicFairy's views at the other end of the scale, and yet you both find common ground.
Everyone has provided so much information, it's an absolute goldmine for any developer looking to make an audiogame.

Sightless Kombat wrote:

I do think that focusing on how "blind" people navigate in the real world and attempting to apply that to videogames is a flawed endeavour, in part because you want information parity with sighted players rather than what you yourself could obtain in the real world, I'd argue.

@Sightless, I completely agree with you. This strategy would only be relevant if your player character was designed to be blind.
While there's nothing wrong with this, we often play games to enable us through our avatar to do things we can't do in real life. If your player character can see, then that should be included into the design process. Which leads me to one thing that hasn't been mentioned so far yet I feel could be a good way to add to navigation - audible train of thought based on what the character is experiencing.
In the game Horizon Zero Dawn the player's character, Aloy, often voices her thoughts out loud. Sometimes this is just to add depth to the current scene, e.g. when travelling through a snow-covered mountainous terrain she'll occasionally say something like 'ugh snow chills - itches". Other times she says something more useful such as "I need to get to the top of that cliff, it's too steep to climb here, I wonder if there's another way up?". This tells the player the objective is at the top of the cliff but you can't climb it here and you need to look for another way.

I'm thinking navigation should take a multilayered approach taking aspects from many things previously mentioned.
Imagine a fantasy RPG. Your character enters a cave into a short tunnel which opens out into a large cavern. Your character says "hmm there's a light at the end of the tunnel, I'd better tread cautiously, I can hear something or someone ahead" You hear grunting sounds to accompany the dialogue. Your footsteps make sounds like treading on rock, maybe with a slight echo. Behind you you hear rocks falling and your character says "There's no going back now, I'd better press on". You reach the cavern, there's three trolls inside, you hear grunting, garbled speech and occasional heavy footsteps as they move about. You can hear a cooking fire crackling near the centre of the cavern. Your only exit is  an opening in the rock wall to the northeast, your character says "trolls! they're too strong for me, if I can just make a dash to that opening in the northeast wall before they spot me". You then have to try and move to the north east wall of the cavern. Bones crunching on the floor or water dripping from the roof can add flavour to the scene and indicate you're moving in the right or wrong direction. When you're near the northeast exit, autopathing takes over to guide you through the exit. You have to move yourself towards the general direction of the exit, but you won't stumble around trying to find it, especially if there's a time pressure to escape before being spotted by the trolls.

Sorry for the lengthy example but in summary you have audible train of thought, scene appropriate audio beacons, e.g. bones crunching, water dripping and autopathing. Autopathing could easily be an option to switch on or off. At any point while autopathing is in progress you should have the option to change your mind, e.g. you're near the exit when you suddenly remember you have the flaming broadsword of sunlight in your backpack and decide you'll engage the trolls in combat rather than run out of the cavern, you cancel autopathing just by pressing a movement direction.
The trolls had a treasure chest. An audio beacon such as coins clinking plays when you're fairly close, as you get closer the sound plays louder. Your character could say "there's a chest over by the west of the cavern, I wonder what they've been hoarding?". At this point you could have the option to autopath to the chest or just find it yourself. Upon collecting the contents, autopath to the exit since there's nothing else to discover. Autopathing would be controlled by the player pressing a button which would start your character moving to the nearest node be it the chest or exit. Which way you're moving could be qualified by your character saying "Lets see what's in here" or "Lets get out of here".
I feel something like this could give a lot of information allowing a method of finding your way around, allowing exploration and without breaking immersion. A system like this in a top down style game, like an action RPG such as the Diablo games, wouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

2024-02-27 01:43:58 (edited by magurp244 2024-02-27 01:46:13)

I agree with the sentiment here, that accessibility should be a layered combination approach. While I tend to wax over sonification, I don't believe it should be used exclusively, or even moderately, depending on the circumstances. Waypoint's and autonav have their uses, including speech, although I've also heard some people find excessive monologing annoying at times. I also found the improved sounds mod for Minecraft particularly enjoyable with how much richer the environments were.

This has given me a bit of an idea in term's of hybridization though, in games like Morrowind or Daggerfall, players can travel between cities via fast travel points. In other games, players can progress to unlock fast travel points to/from places as they explore. So, perhaps a combination of the two? For example, being able to autonav between unlocked points to travel through area's you've already explored quickly, but having to explore through uncharted area's via various devices, compasses, cane sonar, audio tiles, environmental audio, sonifier snapshots, etc. to unlock those autonav points first before you can use them.

2024-02-27 02:21:33 (edited by Graeme 2024-02-27 03:16:07)

I agree, I think monologuing could become annoying, it would have to be used carefully and with an option to disable it at any point during the game, so you could enable it if you were struggling to find an objective but disable it otherwise. Another consideration is your overall game's file size. Too much dialogue would bloat your file. This is ok for a triple A studio with hundreds of people working on the game but for a single dev or a small team looking to distribute on somewhere like itch.io where there's a file size limit it could become a problem.

Fast travel is a nice mechanic and has two main uses. Firstly, to go back to Horizon Zero Dawn, the game world is huge and would take you possibly a couple of hours to travel on foot from one end to the other, faster if using a mount. Fast travel is enabled by discovering campfires where you can view the game map and move to another discovered campfire anywhere in the game world. Some games like Diablo have shrines or portals you can use to fast travel to other areas in the game cutting down on having to travel all the way back through areas you've previously cleared just to get back to town to unload loot and upgrade gear.
A second use is to make a game world appear much larger than it really is. Using an overworld map you fast travel between key locations, often with a short time lag to simulate travel time, during when you could be ambushed, as described by @KenshiraTheTrinity with the Soul Caliber IV example. I've seen this done with Fallout 2 as well as other games. You only need to create the key locations and then link them together in the overworld map to create the illusion of a vast continent. Random encounters would vary on numbers and type depending on where you were travelling from and to.

The fleshed out locations would feature audio beacons, autopathing to specific navigation nodes when in an appropriate range of the node, monologuing where required and if desired, compasses, cane sonar, audio tiles, environmental audio etc.

An overland map is very easy to create for an audiogame; it's essentially an audio camera system scanning a grid. You could limit the camera movement to only the areas discovered or known about. There's so much you can do with it.

2024-02-27 02:24:16

Hi,
@20 Your example is very well chosen since all different points of view introduced so far can fit into it. If we take my profile for instance, if, when entering the cavern, with trolls running straight at me, I was pointed to the north-east exit by this feature or even guided to it by the main character, that would slowly but surely bring me out of immersion. The character's voice might be ok though, but only if the game is otherwise designed for me to do this on my own. With the appropriate detection feature (my footsteps echoing through the cavern and indicating distances between walls, a discrete and adjustable radar indicating proximity and openings), I would have no difficulty to scan the room, rapidely check the trolls' progress, and try to figure out the right path to both avoid them and leave the place safely, and perhaps even to grab the chest along the way.
It would be quite of a chalenge is the game is meant to be one, but in this particular case a nav assist would keep me far to confident regarding the dramatic situation I'm supposed to be in. After all, it will find the most direct path for me, the game is designed for me to walk this path even with the trolls factor, what could possibly go wrong? I might need to dodge one blow or two, but for the most part I'm safe, which is, I guess, absolutely not the idea you want this situation to transmit.
Then there is the blind simulation effect. Of course beacons, radars and all other audio stuff might might sound a little out of character. For me it just sounds like the translation of a purely visual world into something else. The world keeps its visual aspect, atleast in my mind. I've never had the impression that any of a hero's call character was blind for example. The idea for me is simply to translate the idea of the game rather than to guide us through the original idea, which would inevitably be impacted.

You make an interesting point with the hability to choose between different objectives for nav assist. It's globally another kind of targetting system, and I'd say why not. Still if the action is happening in real time, we'd still need some kind of global appreciation of the immediate map, otherwise, even with an exhaustive list, I don't see how we could end up with a coherent tactical approach. The game would then need to be drastically simplified and it leads us back to the gap between a dramatic situation for the character and a game mechanic that would hardly reflect it.

This is definitely an interesting topic. Thanks for opening it!

All the best,
Simon

2024-02-27 02:46:56 (edited by Graeme 2024-02-27 03:11:24)

@23 To give you a tactical view you'd need dialogue along the lines of "There's a chest to the west but my only way out is northeast. I can see water dripping to the north and a colony of bats roosting on the eastern wall".
Autopathing wouldn't kick in here, you've been told which ways to go depending on what you want to do, you know the trolls are around the cooking fire in the centre of the cavern, where you go is up to you. Autopathing if enabled would only start if you were close to either the chest or the exit. Autopathing is only to save you from hitting the wall and then having to walk along it until you find the way out or walking past the chest over and over.
If the trolls had a sensory range, you could try and follow the wall to your left, going west and sneak to the chest. You would very much have as much control as possible over your actions. Again, autopath would only kick in if enabled and only if you're close to the chest. The trolls would attack you if they spot or smell you, if you get too close to them. Bone crunching would help you determine if you were getting too close and they'd sound louder. Once you open the chest, the trolls will attack as they hear you looting it. You know you've got to go east from the chest and then north and northeast to the exit. Water dripping could act as a guide, it gets louder and more frequent as you get nearer, and you know you're near the north wall. Rock crumbling noises could indicate if you're near the wall. If you hear bats chirping you know you're near the eastern wall. You know which way to go towards the exit. Again, autopath would only kick in if you were reasonably close. I'd maybe limit monologuing to only triggering on entering the room to set the scene and provide tactical information and maybe when you're close to and facing towards either the chest or exit.

2024-02-27 03:28:12 (edited by qwertynerd97 2024-02-27 03:29:16)

I’ve been following this thread as a lurker so far, and it’s given me LOTS of great ideas for accessible nav in the current game I’m working on!

I had a thought that I wanted to run by y’all, in relation to some of the options in #20: my game is a top-down exploration game, and I’ve added the ability for players to cast beacons on points of interest.  Would it make sense if the player is manually moving in the direction of a beacon for the character to auto path quickly around a small obstacle, with a “train of thought” comment like “gonna go around this rock real quick”, but not auto path around larger obstacles (like a house) with a comment like “I’m not sure I can get there from here, there’s a house in the way”.  Or would that be more confusing than helpful?

Currently working on building Legends of Thrinar - a fully accessible base building and exploration game where the player switches between exploring the world as the Seeker, and building a safe home base as the Settler