2024-02-10 19:29:56

6, almost 7 pages of "I woke up" in the Off Topic Room. When are we expecting to see a fix for this bug?

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2024-02-10 19:32:16

Ban his cunt.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2024-02-10 19:33:23

I volunteer to help delete these in the meantime if needed.

-----

2024-02-10 20:53:42

Good luck with that. There's as of now 600 topics. And by the time admins ban him there'll be more. They'll have to automate this no doubt.

2024-02-10 22:49:16

if i'm being truethful it was only a matter of time for this to happen, betting they just held enter for like 30 seconds

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2024-02-10 22:49:46

That had to be deliberate. I haven't posted a topic in  a very long time, but is there seriously that much of a lag that lets someone press the button hundreds of times like that?

2024-02-10 22:51:11

oh, that was why the forum was lagging a 30 minutes ago. Stupid ass

2024-02-10 23:00:49

There is lag which would make it far easier, but knowing the guy who did it it was definitely on purpose.

-----

2024-02-10 23:07:46

I can think of several potential fixes:

- Javascript: hide the buttons or change their onclick actions after a single click. Maybe the information being transferred through other means would enable attackers to get around this by disabling javascript, though?
- Javascript again, unless php can handle this: set a cookie whenever someone posts a topic or reply, saving the time of the event. If the elapsed time between presses is less than a certain value (say, 5s), give an error message.
- Additional parameters required: timestamp the submission event in the parameters being processed before contacting the server. In this case, I don't know how we'd go about storing whether or not another attempt was made recently, or what.
- More javascript: add a var to track how many times you've hit the submit buttton. Something like: if (postpressed) {alert("You already did that!"); return; } else {postpressed = true; normal_post(); }
- php: update the user's information first, before actually creating the topic. That way, even if the server is struggling with creating the topic in a timely fashion, it'd still have a chance to identify when users are pressing post too quickly.

And Braille Screen Input is dropping my dot3s so much, I just have to end it here. >.<

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2024-02-10 23:17:53 (edited by SirBadger 2024-02-10 23:21:42)

Easy to tell it was deliberate. A ton more turned up a few hours after there were already topics mixed in with the origionals. I actually replied to one and then tons more turned up a while later. That was not a single accidental pushing the key over and over because it didn't refresh. I'd say ban as well. Actual post only had one word in it. Lol after all these years I only just noticed I can technically report myself. Why did I never spot that before.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2024-02-10 23:31:14

Turning off topic creation until you hit like 20 posts would at least stem the tide for the short term... because this will happen again.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2024-02-10 23:41:14

We need a technical solution. I'm a bit confused as to which of the current administration, if any, are competent to implement one. I'm leaning towards none, given how this seems to keep happening and has not been addressed in the past few weeks.

2024-02-10 23:54:01

Whoever is responsible for this topic apocalypse is a complete and utter moron, and Shelby band immediately, assuming it was done on purpose.
I looked at the active topics room, and was quite appalled to see this, Topics found: 1 to 50 of 1,135.

The people who love you the most,   are the people who matter most in your life.

2024-02-11 00:01:00

I've tried to do the math and I think there are now 1082 topics, which is about 35 or 36 pages. Obviously deliberate and I hope his ban is permanent.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2024-02-11 00:01:30

Yeah I can't even read the off-topic room because it's flooded with the same topic. Fucking peace of shit. Now we'll definitely have to automate deleting the topic, and unless the database schema of PanBB is set up in an easy to understand form (I don't know), that might be far harder than people think.
As for a technical solution? Yeah, we need one. Or we could just switch to modern forum software that prevents this from the start if the admins are incapable of modernizing this one.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-02-11 00:22:43

This is like the /fork fiasco in the Skype 7 days.

2024-02-11 00:23:12

George_Gaylord wrote:

Ban his cunt.

Yeah, ban the fucker. community failure claws, anyone?

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2024-02-11 00:29:26 (edited by George_Gaylord 2024-02-11 00:43:13)

So is it really that hard to add a feature that at least prevents you from posting more than one topic within X period of time?

EDIT:
I stopped reading the forum around 2 when it went down. Back then it only had about 245 spam posts. By 5
we're at 1083  Absolutely insane and pathetic.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2024-02-11 00:41:33

Agree with @George_Gaylord, this was no mistake what so ever and if anyone thinks that it was then something is obviously wrong with you.
So yes, ban his cunt.

My chiptune archive is https://chiparchive.com/files/.
And the new sync key is
BQHTXTVRWGMFSI3BI3ZVQ4TGEOGNJJO64
Twitter is https://twitter.com/thechiptunearc1?lang=en

2024-02-11 03:07:01

I would be happy to assist in removing the spam topics.

Please support me by checking out my ko-fi shop:
https://ko-fi.com/kjsisco56927

2024-02-11 03:12:56 (edited by Dan Gero 2024-02-11 03:15:18)

I looked up if it's possible to transfer topics/posts from PanBB to Discorse, and I learned that it is. The admins said that it isn’t. Why haven’t they started doing that yet?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2024-02-11 03:29:51

from my recent check, 54 pages of nothing but the spam. good heavens.

People discard the concept of God by saying that God is the creation of man and according to science no God exists however, they conveniently forget that science itself is the creation and knowledge that man possesses, not the knowledge of everything in existance.

2024-02-11 03:30:10

@21, we've talked about this in the past and it always ended in a lot of people bitching and wining about having to learn new forum software. I'm hoping that this example of just how fucked this software is will finally get the admins to do what's necessary.... But then again, who knows anymore?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-02-11 03:34:51

who ever made that other duplicate topapocalips a bunch of days a go probably inspired him to do the same but with much more noticeable consequences. Seriously fokes, why in the name of bastardly bastards hasn't this been fixed yet? over 3 years their was nothing done until now, when fokes actually had their browsing experience impacted.

2024-02-11 03:59:48

i dout they will migrate anything because waaaa new things to learn, i'm running windows xp7/10/not 11 cause ewwwww! maybe not quite that bad, but you get it

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609