2024-02-11 21:21:31 (edited by Ethin 2024-02-11 22:21:19)

@50, better PMs, pretty sure someone sometime ago asked for an actual warning system, someone else suggested a thunderdome-ish-like category that normal people could opt into (but maybe that one was in jest)... I'm sure there are many other features that people have asked for that I'm forgetting.
Edit: Oh, also, auto-closing of topics, better moderation tooling (Discourse has silencing of users as well as quite a lot of others).... I could go on. Considering the fact that none of the admins/mods are active enough to actually implement these (and only two of them can, and that's assuming they even have the time), Discourse would be a far better choice just because it means the admins wouldn't need to figure out a secure way of implementing that stuff. And the duplicate topics issue is another thing. And broken search... Custom registration needing to be implemented.... Should I go on? I get that people like the accessibility of this forum but things need to change. Sure, this forum could probably exist for another 10-20 years (assuming the box can chug along for that long) but I doubt it will stay alive for even remotely that long if things remain the same as they are right now. Even you have to admit that the forum in it's current state isn't all that sustainable. Discourse at least has the trust system so users of a certain trust level gain some basic community management privileges assuming that the mods appoint them at TL4. But even TL3 has some power, though it needs to be actively retained and isn't constant. But at least a system would allow this community to somewhat manage itself without the admins/mods having to do every little thing because the authority structure on PanBB is so rigid and inflexible.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-02-12 00:52:16

The problem that if I try to delete a user including all the posts, the forum freezes.
I just restarted the server and the forum came up again. Sorry for the inconvenience and the quick reboot...

2024-02-12 16:02:41 (edited by LilyNight 2024-03-01 17:41:31)

The fix is to not spam. The mods very clearly don't have a care in the world about this place and are leaving it before it  topples over completely, like we can't even behave when there are mods around so at least try our best when there aren't.

I always tell myself I'm going to stop procrastinating. I was going to, but I never got around to it.
Always approach life with an excellent attitude!
If you like my post, thumb me up!

2024-02-12 16:11:32

I'd argue the contrary. Senderman is one of the original site owners, who generally only step in when something the staff can't handle happens. The weird spam links today seem like a side-effect of the things they're trying in order to fix yesterday's spam problem. Php is hard, yo.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2024-02-12 18:06:50

I mean clearly that's not completely true. Sendermen just came back so.

LilyNight wrote:

The fix is to not spam. The mods very clearly don't have a care in the world about this forum and are being completely irresponsible before this place topples over completely, we see, spammers coming in.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2024-02-12 18:18:41

@53, just stop. You make a bigger ass of yourself the more you post. IF you think you have something to prove, then you're likely not proving what you think you are. I speak from experience.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2024-02-12 19:03:28

@56: Needlessly antagonistic. Also unhelpful, if I assume charitably that you were trying to help rather than just expressing negativity.
... Huh. That did, though, make me realize how 54 could have been better, though. If I edit it now, it would probably sound patronizing. hmm
Yeah, though. It sure feels like the mods are doing a lot of nothing, and negativity is running rampant. I still say they're doing the best they can with what they have to work with, and the problem is what they have to work with. But yeah, unpleasant in the mean time.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2024-02-12 19:24:42

I'm pretty sure they're doing a whole lot of nothing because they just don't care. And why should they? Every time they do something they always get toxicity and negativity from everyone. It's not just a minority getting annoyed because the admins/mods don't bend to their will, it's pretty much a collective negativity from every active member of the forum except maybe a nano-fraction. If I were a mod I certainly wouldn't be all that interested in helping this community when it obviously has a double standard where it wants the mods to do something but when the mods do that something it's never enough or never what the community wants so the community goes "welp, time to bash the mods/admins some more". I'm pretty sure that when it comes to admins/mods, this community has to be the most intolerant one I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of toxic communities.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-02-12 19:25:55

Okay, now things have gotten weird. It was one thing when it was registered users, but somehow non-registered users are posting topics. Oh, and deleting them is not possible...

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2024-02-12 19:28:49

I feel like no one here really understands how the forum works, at a technical level, and that isn't helping at all. I mean, if you run a delete command it shouldn't cause the forum to freeze, and yet here we are. How on earth is a collecctive shrug acceptable?

2024-02-12 19:30:15

Sorry for the double post, but I should clarify we're doing what we can, but I think we're honestly putting out numerous fires at once. Ethin is correct about probably needing to change forum software, but that takes time. Though, we've been spending a lot of time on this or that fire, so it might be worth it. The other problem is if we can get a forum software that replicates our current set up so that users experience as little change as possible.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2024-02-12 20:03:45

These are guest accounts i think. Maybe they were enabled by accident while fixing the duplicate topic bug?

2024-02-12 20:09:43

Yes, guess account. If you log out, you can still create topics. It'll ask for a guest name and email address.

2024-02-12 20:43:03 (edited by Ethin 2024-02-12 20:57:22)

@61, I wouldn't concern with layout changes. If people don't like the new layout, that's on them, though the layout of a new forum can be made to mimick some of this forum's layout pretty easily. Just not all of it without some in-depth HTML modifications. The transition can be made smoother by mimicking categories and maybe porting topics and user accounts though.
Edit: @61, I PM'd you.

My Github

2024-02-12 22:25:27

Guests should (theoretically) no longer be able to post. Fortunately, taking advantage of a bug in this case allows us to make it impossible for guest posts to go through (I hope).

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2024-02-12 22:38:10

Tried to quote reply to you as a guest and it seems to be working as expected... Fingers crossed.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2024-02-12 22:46:40 (edited by SirBadger 2024-02-12 22:50:05)

There's a pretty recent one that says something about a fat ass by somebody with a really nasty name that says something really fucked up.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2024-02-13 00:16:28

@56, well ok then. If you're going to attack your way into making your point, that's fine by me.
@67, yes, that N-word guy is truly crossing the line. Not cool at all, what guest posters can do. Enough to make me believe the people who think this place is trash. And by the way, I do not think that—yet, it just needs a lot of improvement, is all.

I always tell myself I'm going to stop procrastinating. I was going to, but I never got around to it.
Always approach life with an excellent attitude!
If you like my post, thumb me up!

2024-02-13 00:52:35

well, i'm actually shocked guessts can make topics, so, mods, for now i would say make it so guessts cant do anything

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2024-02-13 02:58:15

The topics error out when you try clicking them now.
@63, that explains why I noticed you were able to view profiles without being logged in.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2024-02-13 03:01:56 (edited by ignatriay 2024-02-13 03:11:22)

Ok this is getting ridiculous. I mean these entire day on the forum has been... spam spam spam... and... more spam. This is way out of hand.
Also, @69, are they guest accounts though? They have the shades of neuby tag, so its odd, because if they where guests, they wouldn't have a tag, I guess.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2024-02-13 03:11:21

All the topics posted by guests have been deleted, and I added a hotfix to the forum's codebase that prohibits guest posting at the software level.

The reason for this "people who aren't logged in can post" mess is unbeknownst to me but is quite concerning and under active investigation. The slowness you've been seeing lately has been caused by a distributed denial of service attack.
In short, someone (likely multiple people - scriptkiddies) are f**king with us in a way that I would have found laughable and kind of impressive in my more reckless days. Being on the other end now, I feel equipped to realize what is going on and put a stop to it.

2024-02-13 03:52:51

@72
Are we behind cloudflare? I thought so. If we are, there are settings there you could enable.  They have a slider somewhere that's basically "how sure do you want us to be that this isn't a script" but I haven't looked into it in a while so sorry I can't be more specific.  That will at least shut down naive to intermediate script kiddies.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2024-02-13 05:57:45

Camlorn is correct here. CloudFlare has those settings. Might turn them up for now. They also have CloudFlare turnstiles which I recommended a few weeks ago. They're very accessible.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2024-02-13 06:13:20

This forum engine is having more and more problems every day. PunBB or PHPBB should work fine if it was on the newest version but i think that there's not newest version.

Mao!
--
TD programs website available under new address.
https://tdprograms.ovh/