2024-01-07 23:50:53

So thisis an issue that I'm sure I'm not the only one noticing. It seems like half of the new topics that are posted have at least one, usually more than one duplicate. If this were a one or two time occurance, it would be understandable, but with the amount of times it has happened, I think there must be something wrong with the site. Either there's a bug in the code that causes this, or posting a topic takes a little time and impatient people mash the submit button, but please make this a priority. I'm about to find out what happens when I post a new topic I guess.

Blindgoofball
Founder and lead developer at Nibble Nerds
Where gamers are united!
https://nibblenerds.com

2024-01-08 00:03:15

You only submitted one, thankfully. I've been getting rid of duplicates when I see them, but I have probably missed a bunch.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2024-01-08 03:32:36

The fact that I was able to only submit one makes me think the most likely cause is people being impatient and hitting submit multiple times, which would then trigger the forum to create duplicates of the topic.

Blindgoofball
Where gamers are united!

2024-01-08 06:23:59

Maybe people need to slow the fuck down before posting millions of the same topic by mashing the sensitive submit button? this is getting quite ridiculous.

The people who love you the most,   are the people who matter most in your life.

2024-01-08 17:38:58

It takes about a second on my end to submit a topic, half that for a reply. If your internet is slow or whatever it probably takes 4 or 5. I kinda understand why some people might think the page has gone unresponsive or something if they're in that situation.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2024-01-08 17:41:59

For me, posting replies takes hardly any time. It's only when I edit a reply or post a new topic that it takes about a minute to post.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2024-01-08 18:40:33

Carter can correct me, but I believe his explanation was that it happens whenever the forum goes to modify a large table...Of which, the forum topics and posts probably counts. It was also why the search was slow, as the search modifies the table of searches...In other words, our box sucks.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2024-01-08 23:22:37

The only things that take a long time on my end are searching and editing, although editing seems to be a little bit faster recently.
I haven't tried the search since the changes, but last time I attempted to use it I kept getting errors.

2024-01-09 00:33:19

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the search thing because somehow I forgot that was a thing.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2024-01-10 19:49:19

I can confirm that editing is still very slow here. I'm just surprised this was only an issue relatively recently--what changed in the past year or so?

2024-01-11 02:02:02

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like part of the duplicate topics problem has to do with random errors on the web site. I've never had it happen to me personally, but given the amount of issues this site has had and continues to have, I wouldn't be so quick to put all the blame on users for being impatient. Not without logs or other diagnostic data to see what's actually going on.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2024-01-11 03:24:53

@10, The migration.
Issues with the search and editing topics didn't start until we were on the current surver.

2024-01-12 15:05:24

I would just like a definitive explanation for the duplicated topics. I was just able to open all three of one setwithout issues. Are they being generated by the forum in response to one press of the submit button, which suggests something ridiculously broken? Are they caused by people not understanding how form submissions work and hitting the button several times in quick succession?

I'm just confused because if it were the former I would expect every single submitted topic to be duplicated.

2024-01-12 15:26:11

From my understanding it goes something like this. You click the submit button, nothing happens for 5 seconds, you click it again thinking it didn't go through and so on. For every time you clicked it creates another topic. Wasn't an issue before because topic creation was fast before.

2024-01-12 17:58:02

I am almost certain it has to do with people being impatient. I can post topics just fine without it duplicating, and to be honest, topic submission is not that slow for me.

Blindgoofball
Where gamers are united!

2024-01-12 18:09:38

At least now I know the trick. when you press submit it does submit. but it doesn't notify you. and the other thing when it happened to me, it wasn't 5 seconds. it was more than two minutes. that's  why I did it and I. didn't notice that it's happening

2024-01-13 19:02:25

I'd think there would be something that they could add that would give you an error if you hit submit more than once, or wouldn't let you post a topic if another thread with the exact same title already exists. But then again, maybe there's just no way to stop it or slow it down. I just know that it is disturbing to see the same thing posted 2, 3, 4, 5 or more times in a row, or several clusters of 2 or 3 of them sprinkled all throughout the list of new posts.

2024-01-13 19:06:06

Disable the submit button once it has been hit, so that you can’t activate more than once before the processing is done. That ought to help.

2024-01-14 00:56:08

@18, that would help, but then you might probably want to make it so the forum doesn't rely on entirely separate page loads for everything. And at that point you might as well just switch to discourse because there really isn't much of a point making the software more like it when it already exists.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-01-20 20:31:00

All right, we need to solve this problem now because this person literally just plastered the front page with 30+ topics of the same damn thing. Come on, guys.

2024-01-20 20:42:24

Yupp, that's 2 and a half pages of the same topic.

2024-01-20 20:48:55

Yeah I was gonna say. Also for a half hour or so the site was throwing errors. I think its like 65 or so of the same topic in general.

2024-01-20 21:20:21

I don't even know how something like that could have happened unless someone mashed the submit button acrap ton of times.

Blindgoofball
Where gamers are united!

2024-01-20 23:03:57 (edited by defender 2024-01-20 23:22:30)

Edit: I don't like removing posts when I'm wrong because it feels scummy. So I'll keep this here, but it turns out that materiasentinel was in fact just being impatient. He admitted it in this topic:
https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/5090 … lone-games
But hey, at least he didn't try to dodge responsibility...

Original post:
I'm just guessing here, but what could have happened is that he has a crappy network connection, either because of where he lives or just his personal setup. Maybe he's encountered this plenty of times, and in the past he just jammmed on the button until it worked. Given it can honestly be a few minutes straight sometimes, hitting it as many times as he did isn't completely unreasonable if that's what he thought was going on.
Maybe he just wasn't aware of the exact method we've had to learn in order to baby the stupid website into doing it's most basic tasks. So personally, I'm not going to condemn the guy unless it happens again.

2024-01-21 02:59:52 (edited by George_Gaylord 2024-01-21 03:02:00)

Going to go bump all the topics on the second page because this is absolutely ridiculous.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here