2022-03-14 19:22:23

Hi,
I can not stress this enough. The game I'm about to discuss is free.
This time, it's fully doable including the stats, but there are three unlabeled buttons, the dev is actually looking into it. The first is menu, the second is saves and the third seems to be an about dialogue, but I'm getting ahead of myself.
This game takes place in a sci-fi world and it reminds me of Fallout or even The Wastes, but with much more story to boot compared to The Wastes. I don't really want to spoil too much of that, but I'll explain the gameplay loop.
When you complete the prologue, you'll get to explore the world. You can keep going, or return to the main area (again, I won't spoil what that is), you'll find it soon enough when you play. What's amazing is you're in control of when, and how, you level up, and that's just one of many cool things. There's a combat system where you can shoot or strike, you can switch between lethal and non-lethal modes and just subdue enemies instead, sometimes you'll encounter creatures that talk in a different language to you. When you unlock it, you'll always start with 1 water and might find more when exploring. The water will heal your hitpoints, or you might get upgrades such as regeneration. Importantly, these upgrades are decided by you, and in what order, and as you go further into the game you will actually unlock upgrades to the existing upgrades and also, completely different types of upgrades as well. Do you level up all of your stats or do you aim for an upgrade? Every time you return to the main area any chips you collect will be stored. Vitals are near the top of the screen. Your hp, your chips from the current run, and some sort of other variable that I don't quite know are shown.
If you die, you're returned to the main area fully restored but you lose any chips you collected before you died. So this is why it's important to return to the area to restore them. Returning happens in one click, assuming, of course, you have enough hp to make it.
I honestly don't know how much more to say because I don't want to spoil the experience, only that there's 12 possible endings and I'm not even through my first playthrough yet. If the music is too loud, you can adjust it's volume in the settings, which is an absolute godsend because it means we can still enjoy the full experience of music and sounds without having to disable any of them!
You can play in browser, or download the game. If you download, run the index html file in a web browser.
https://ryngm.itch.io/trigaea
I hope this helps and I hope everyone enjoys!

2022-03-14 19:30:03

wooooo sounds sooo good. I'll give it a try ASAP

2022-03-14 20:11:55

Fine you've made me curious. Let's see what there be.

2022-03-14 21:14:16

I’m curious to try this game as well.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2022-03-14 21:16:47 (edited by JaceK 2022-03-14 22:25:10)

Alright this is quite good. Kind of roguelikte-ish. I'm still finding the sweet spot between going too far and not going fafar enough.I did the prologue and the first few what I assume are story encounters

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Oh I was mad when I got stunned. Fucking stun nade. Mine now....curious to know if I can get that rifle the scanger was using. Also that AI is hilarious...and your char's reaction to to each mutation is awesome. I'm wanting to max out the eagle eys and the pheremones, because hey. I like shooting things but...but....

EDIT: And no, you don't lose your upgrades when you screw up and die. Protip: The forest is harder than the first area. Don't be afraid to run off...I died by being an absolute idiot and trying to talk down an alien thingy. It didn't end well. Also I love the rapport with the human and the AI

EDIT: Har har har, that was not the right question to ask...got that AI flustered. On the other hand, I'm wondering now if I want the bonuses from the machine bits, or stay human. Hmm....tough choices(Spoiler alert: yes....a free ignore 5 damge? I'll take it)

Now I'm following my robot friend's directions...I'm liking this. it's roguelite, but with a story, and with what I assume to be a miniboss at one location. You'll know it when you find it. There's boss patterns, some enemies are immune to one of your attacks, so...

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2022-03-14 22:43:08

Audio doesn't work when I play it on my phone, sad but at least it works on my pc. smile nice find!

2022-03-14 22:43:40 (edited by JaceK 2022-03-14 23:04:59)

EDIT: irefox worked for audio. Kinda like said audio yeah. It's neat even if I don't use the subdue much...I love the little blurb about everything upgrade wise. I had to laugh at one particular upgrade....that AI went all HUD and then left out selfies. I'm just trying to wrap my head around my character having literal eagle eyes, then on top of that, digital optics. That's a hell of a trip for my poor brain...

Also on Linux natively

2022-03-15 00:29:08

Wow this one's great!

I just unlocked the second area, though I did unfortunately break the game at one point by beating the alien boss before I was supposed to big_smile.

Ironically, the problem I kept having was running into bosses before I had got enough chips for the upgrades to fight them, since it seems the differences between regular fights and bosses is quite large and in the first area at least, I didn't get to the point of needing to turn back before running into the boss, and with no flee, or back off options prior to the encounter, it basically meant a wasted trip.
Indeed, the only way I found of avoiding it was keeping track of how far out, IE how much the return cost, was.

This is awesome though, love the exploration, weird world and combats.

My only miner downer is a personal one similar to that I've seen in some of the cog games, which is that my character doesn't really feel like he's behaving like a straight guy, EG pouting, having people tell him he's cute etc, which would be %100 fine if my character weren't! a straight guy.

Again, I suspect this is a consequence of trying to satisfy all romantic interaction options with the same npc and a few basic toggles, but personally, I'd really prefer if I were just playing a single defined character here with their own personality, love interest etc, , rather than an attempt by an author who seems to be writing for one gender/sexuality to make one size fits all.

Certainly not a deal breaker, I love the game, and atmosphere, but I do find it takes me out of the story a little sometimes.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2022-03-15 00:40:52

So I've got past the second boss, or, two minibosses going by the writing...now I'm a bit stuck...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I'm going through the progenitor and getting upgraes but I've barely got enough for one big upgrae, really. I've got each of the first tier of the organic and machine upgrades. Now it's just the foest hasn't given up its secrets...so do I just need to explore a lot more?

Also on Linux natively

2022-03-15 02:01:28 (edited by Dark 2022-03-15 02:08:16)

@Jase, just got past that bit myself.

The game actually has those sorts of questions covered, use the talk option to talk to esra and she/he will tell you where to go next, though you might need to level up to take on the next boss.

I will say in fairness to the design, I'm now getting to the point where zones are large enough that I have to actually head back, also the boss encounters now come with yes/no prompts which is nice, so it seems only the first couple of fights in the ruins had the problem of you running into them when just chip harvesting.

Oh, and thumbs up for the classic scifi references, my lady will be most amused when I tell her this one references anne McCaffery big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2022-03-15 10:47:02

Just keep exploring to progress, remember if you get some chips and you don't know if you'll make it or not, go back home and just stash em or level up. If you can't afford a genetic upgrade then just do a regular level up because you'll still get something from it. Also, don't forget if things get too much you can change the difficulty, but I haven't actually tried that because I'm fairly invested in the journey now. I've also cried a couple times, and there was a bit where I was thinking I wish I'd have saved and loaded and gone back, but then I realize I'm now glad I didn't save before a certain scene happened because that means I need to go on with the consequences, and I've done just that.

2022-03-15 11:33:15

so i have a question
does this game have a roguelike element like random generated things so i can replay many times?

hi. i am a dark matter miner. yeah, i am setting mines that when something steps on it, it will explode and release huge amount of dark matters. oh sorry... i am a slave miner, i am mining dark matters...

2022-03-15 12:00:42

I really....really wonder if that expedition could have gone differently. Kind of wonder where that went wrong. Was it me being underlevelled or is that part of the story?

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Apparently, I got my team killed in an expedition and then blew my head off to escape a death trap, came back, and swore that woman to secrecy....and then dealt with a food thief. All within the same small bit. Apparently, I show little mercy to food thieves and just shove them down an elevator...

Also on Linux natively

2022-03-15 12:17:17

spoilers ahoy! stop here if you don't want delta colony spoiled.

Oddly enough, in my game the expedition members were injured not killed, and while I did wind up in the deathtrap with Shay, I shot myself in the head, died, and returned and rescued her a week later.

I also got the choice of how to deal with the food thief, and  chose to threaten rather than kill him, which worked.

Btw, not sure if you have to toggle the lethal setting for this.
mostly I've been playing none lethal combats, accept for a couple of occasions where subduing gave error messages, like the first alien you encounter outside the ruins, which I suspect are bugs which will be solved in later versions.

There is! another portion later where you can choose an alternative for dealing with a situation, I decided to grind my levels and abilities up until I could handle three rather tough fights one after another, leading to what was imho the best outcome, or at least the one that got fewest people killed.

I suspect, at least given the revealed backstory of the game, I am getting close to the end now, or at least approaching the final area, given I've maxed out several of my upgrades, though actually I was thinking that previously and found it not to be the case.

I am really enjoying the exploration, fights and evolving story in this one, even if the occasional mangled pronouns make me wince occasionally, though it would be sort of nice to see somethign that didn't! depict humanity as basically doomed to destroy themselves, contrasted against noble primitive hunters and benign robots who are really nice when you get to know them big_smile.

2022-03-15 12:26:09 (edited by JaceK 2022-03-15 13:27:57)

Huh, makes me wonder if I really was underlevelled for that...I feel like I should just reload my save and grind levels, but I'm more focused on finding certain folks however *coughcough* Ash and leon*coughhcough* Why do I get the feeling they are closer than I think?

EDIT: Okay, seems like one appearence works better for one specific area. It's logical, which is good. Once you get all the basic upgrades for I assume all the forms....it's pretty much hilarious results. Ambush attacks plus critical hits. You want to stun grenade me? Yeah no, I'll just shoot you and turn you into Swiss cheese

Also on Linux natively

2022-03-15 14:15:56

'Jase, weirdly enough, appearance isn't tied to abilities, you can still have all the upgrades in any of your forms, but yes, having the wrong appearance will definitely get you killed.

In terms of tactics, this one actually favours all rounders and upgrading as much as you can, especially considering that the upgrade pricing scale literally goes up by a factor of 10 per level of upgrade, meaning you could get 10 level 1 upgrades for the price of one level 2 one, etc.

Also, there are a lot of points in the game that require you to use literally everything, EG enemies that you need to use physical attacks on, others you need to shoot, some you need to use the stun or acid on, times you need to just defend  etc, indeed most of the tactics in the game are more a case of finding the right tool for the given situation, than just finding a single ste of winning strategies.

I've now also got one ending, though from the looks of it there are a great many others available, there's also the option to new game plus just before the point that the path diverges most heavily which is interesting, though for the second run I think I'd like to try playing through on hard.

Okay, I admit my complaints with some aspects of the plot were somewhat dealt with, or at least slightly explained by the ending I got, EG why the aliens didn't really feel alien enough to me.

though it was a little biz wordy in places, and the moral a bit heavy handed; especially given the rather clunky pronowns that did make getting to grips with character personalities a bit difficult at times, in the end it did work! I particularly liked the classic scifi references at the end, big_smile.

Definitely one I'll be replaying.

And here for sense of completeness is my final score, and don't worry, it's not got spoilers:

Your Final Score
Title
Champion of Trigaea
Lowest Difficulty Level Used
Normal
Level
Opponents Subdued
Opponents Talked Around
Machines Healed
Killed - Humans (Colonists)
Killed - Humans (Outer Tribes)
Killed - Machines (Infected)
Killed - Machines (Other)
Killed - X'irii
Killed - Beasts
Times Died
Total Chips Collected

2022-03-15 14:23:36

Spoilers incoming...

Huh so am I at the NG+ point? I've agreed to help Delta Colony out to get the device, and been upgradeing stuff so I've got each of the second level of upgrades now. I really....really don't wanna know how much it'd cost to max it all out. I may try some screwing around with that in an NG+ then maybe, but...

I love the boss patterns, and the fact that the futher you get the more complex the fights go. I'm pretty much wanting to get into NG+ and see how it plays out if I do other choices. I've started subdueing the colonists vs murdering them. The second level of nanoskin is a godsend. Wish I'd had that with me when I'd gone on that expedition. having fought that thing again...I'm all ...oh, that's how that works.

So yeah, basically, am I close to the NG+ point or will I absolutely know it when I get there, i.e. is it signposted pretty obviously? I'm interested to see how this goes with an NG+ with all the upgrades I currently got

Also on Linux natively

2022-03-15 15:58:10 (edited by Dark 2022-03-15 16:01:03)

@Jase, as a hint, you'll know you're getting close to the end when you run across Leon agaon, though I'm not sure at this point how much there is after this, as I suspect the path I personally took possibly shortened things slightly.

I'm going to try a new game on hard and try different options, as well as pick up the last few upgrades, and some more character levels, as well as trying as a lady this time around.

Edit: ooh, cool, seems the dev uploaded a short bugfix version with properly labeled buttons and stats just this morning! So I'd suggest people redownload the game.

2022-03-15 16:14:26 (edited by JaceK 2022-03-15 16:34:04)

Huh and the plot thickens...

See Im enjoying this. I think I know what I'd d do with the device, then...huh, I meet the aliens, and they change up my thought processs. Thanks aliens

EDIT: Okay that boss fight is very much get into a groove and wear it down. I like it. Stupid giant robot trying to murder my AI friends!

Also on Linux natively

2022-03-15 16:57:14

Okay, I'll admit the ng+ isn't quite as much fun, since with all the upgrades, most fights are literally one hit kills, I can see why you have the option of restoring close to the ending.

I'm also going lethal in combat now, though imho none lethal is rather more fun.

2022-03-15 17:13:39

So I figured out who that big bad is...and....I don't know what ending I want. Normally I'd leave everyone alive but it won't solve anything. And I did help the colony since I saw the aliens as invaders but now....I dunno. Now I know more about the alien lore I'm torn. On the one hand. I want to not interfere too much. On the other...well....

See I want to help the aliens out, but if that means wiping out a whole species I'm not okay with it at all...

Also on Linux natively

2022-03-15 20:51:23

I have started to play this game. So far, I think it’s pretty interesting although I haven’t gotten very far yet. Sadly, I’m playing a game on my iPhone and it appears the sound effects won’t work there. I guess I’ll have to try it on a PC at another time.

2022-03-15 20:56:10

@Dark:

Having got though an ending, is there the NG+ from the very start, or? I only get the restart at such and such point

Also on Linux natively

2022-03-15 21:23:51

@Jase, after the ending screen with the credits etc, after you hit "new game", there should be several buttons "restart from the beginning", and restart just before you meet you know who."

The only sad thing, is I don't think it tracks which endings you've seen, that and as I said, the new game even from the beginning isn't half as much fun.

2022-03-16 00:13:11 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2022-03-16 00:13:51)

Spoilers ahead.

Yeah, have to agree with 21 here. Game makes you make some seriously messed up choices, and damns you if you don't, though admittedly only seen one ending so far. Not sure if I have it in me to stomach another ending so soon. I've been playing this for hours, even sacrificing a few hours of sleep on the altar of gameplay just to see what happens next, and now i can't decide if i want to be happy i finished it or annoyed that I had to go through all that. Its definitely not like 4x4 series where I could play them over and over for a few days at a time and not get tired of it. Gameplay was definitely fun though, even if pronouns were wildly inconsistent. Maybe the game would have read a little better in a language that lacked gender specific pronouns.

Spoiler end.

You guys playing on mobile and not getting audio, try running the game directly off ich.io. you have to play in landscape, vut audio should work, least it did for me.