2020-10-14 03:02:05

Hi all,
So apple finally announced the four 12 models, with the A14 processors and all flavors of 5g today. I am currently rocking a 6, and it badly needs an upgrade, so thinking of getting one of the pro handsets. Which phone would you choose, and why. Is there an advantage over choosing the pro max over the pro for a blind person? The pro does offer increased water proofing, a better more durable design, steel versus aluminum, and a better battery I think, though Apple hasn't announced this. The pro, and the pro max both have significant camera upgrades over the 12.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-10-14 03:16:12

It depends. The Pro costs more money, and as to whether or not the bigger screen is better, that's going to be different depending on your situation. I personally prefer bigger screens, but you may not

2020-10-14 03:44:36

The screen isn't the only difference in the max though. The pro and regular 12  have identical screen sizes. They do cost more, but the pro have steel instead of alimunium and glass, as well as several additional features, and expanded storage, which imho probably justifies the price. But it isn't very clear what the differences are. All the websites are sighted cenntric, only caring about cameras.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-10-14 05:58:55

Legit everything that's different between the Pro and Pro Max is the camera size, and what you can do with them. That's it.
That's why I'm getting a 12 Mini, because I love small phones and it's the perfect one for me.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-10-14 06:06:32 (edited by queenslight 2020-10-14 06:07:19)

To b clear, the "expanded" storage, technically is "upgraded" storage, from 64GB at the starting price of the non-pros to 128GB for the pros.

If you want to "expand" your storage, check out the following articles from Apple Support and Digital Trends.

2020-10-14 06:27:05 (edited by defender 2020-10-14 06:36:28)

Some AR stuff, and better cameras, that's it as far as I know.
I'd definitely go with the 12 mini.
Some people say the camera helps with OCR, but IMO at a certain point it probably makes no difference.

2020-10-14 08:30:03

6, that only applies for the pro max  versus pro. The 12 versus pro comparason, 12 pro comes with different material  for the case, more durable steel, plus  if I am not mistaken better battery. The max definately comes with better battery.

2020-10-14 08:45:22

I will tell you this much, my aunt and uncle have the 11 pro max, respectively the XS max and I have the XR.
The steel body scratches like it is no tomorrow, comparred to my aluminium, which doesn't, I mean it does since it got a few bumps here and there, but not that bad as theirs which look like over used devices, even my aunt's which has always been in a case since day 1.
I will agree, it looks and feels better, but is it worth it durability ways?
Get what you feel is needed for you, but get them because of internals like battery, not body, that doesn't justify the price.
Also people, buy chargers, since you will need them.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2020-10-14 08:51:46

Though that might scratch though,  if you drop it or take an impact, presumably the steel would hold up better.  But indeed, the pro models have different internals too, not just a steel case. But what is really annoying is no charger in the box, which automatically adds like $30 I think. Especially since someone upgrading from a really old phone needs a fast charger.

2020-10-14 08:59:26

@9

In the USA anyway, it's $40 USD for the new MagSafe charger.

2020-10-14 09:51:09

So, I have done more research, and seems the pro max has a very significantly upgraded camera,  and a significantly better battery too. It looks like I might wait for the max possibly, battery life will be concerning with 5g.

2020-10-14 09:54:26

As for a charger, why would you pay $40 for a mag safe charger that charges slower than a wall charger  for more?

2020-10-14 11:01:12

Do keep in mind, the bigger battery is mostly a result of the bigger screen, so who knows how much better it actually is...
Also, does steel VS aluminum really matter that much when a good case will solve the problem anyway?  It just doesn't seem worth that much extra money.
I also personally find giant phones to be a huge pain in the ass, holding them properly with one hand, getting them into standard sized pockets, the weight making me feel all awkward when wearing shorts or light pants, the more expensive cases ETC.  But I know that some people do find the extra screen space worth it...

2020-10-14 11:12:09

Defender, I would argue the better battery is probably substantially better because its bigger independant of the screen. Look at the pro and 12 battery claims. The runtimes seem the same, but  with the more hardware features the pro packs, it likely is bigger to accomidate the extra power. Sure the aluminium versus steel isn't worth it if it is the only difference, but there are internal differences, battery and significantly better cameras. All of these combined could make it worth it. I mean  I have a 4.7 inch 6, but  if the pro max will offer significantly better  battery and camerass, particularly the battery, so it won't degrade as fast, then that seems worth it when combined with the extra durable design.

2020-10-14 13:15:00

Wait so they don't even include chargers anymore?

Wow.

I looked at some of the articles on the 12 and frankly nothing grabbed my interest. I'll stick to my 6S until the wheels fall off big_smile.

2020-10-14 13:33:17

Lol Munawar, I adopted the same stratigy, and likely will after my pro max, hense my motivation for getting a durable phone. My 6's wheels started falling off around 2018, and updates stopped in 2019. Now it is destroyed utterly on video calls. Battery will run flat in less than 40 minutes.
I guess the charger thing is for Apple to raise prices without raising prices. The 6s won't get any more updates likely though.

2020-10-14 13:43:32

Touch ID is awesome. So, SE. big_smile

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2020-10-14 14:03:44 (edited by queenslight 2020-10-14 14:04:31)

Speaking of raising prices...

Apple’s iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini cost $30 extra for anyone who’s not an AT&T or Verizon customer.
NB. This does not affect the Pro line.

2020-10-14 15:38:53

@18 rip

2020-10-14 17:46:20

At least on the older models, the battery seems to be  better on the r and the 11, not on the maxes.
The camera is better because it has the IR sensor, but I have no idea if it is better in other aspects.
I love bigger screens, so I would go with the pro max if you need that extra space, not for other stuff.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2020-10-14 17:54:40

Well, I am also thinking about upgrading this year, My 8Plus is starting to lag and battery is also starting to drain faster, although I guess a new one would fix that issue.

I haven't decided yet between the 12 and the 12 Pro.

regarding prices, the pro models of this year actually got bait cheaper. This doesn't count for the standard models though, so for the iPhone 11 and 12, simply because the 11 had a normal LCD screen while the 12 sports an OLED screen.
I don't really miss the charger or EarPods, the later one I didn't even use, and most of us have a number of chargers and lightning cables around anyway, either normal USB A or USB C equipment. And you can get them at a cheaper price by a third party developer, so I don't see the biggest of issues here.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-10-14 18:21:26

They don't include a charger, come the beep on! I probably, maybe, maybe should upgrade, if this SE dies.

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-10-14 18:21:39

Yes, SE makes for fun times. Although I'm kind of baffled why they even bothered with it if they were just going to release the 12 mini in the same year. I mean, I prefer touch ID as well, but I figured most people wouldn't care that much.

Or perhaps all the SE models will go defective very soon just like my first one did less than a month ago...

2020-10-14 18:36:10

Hi.

At 23 well firstly, it's cheaper than the 12 Mini, it is smaller in total, it has an older SOC than the 12 Mini and generally not the screen or cameras of the 12 lineup.
It's a good introductory phone if you want to get into the mobile Eco System of Apple.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-10-14 18:56:48

Obviously, but it's still ironic that they never bothered to update that lineup until this year, which happens to be exactly the year they release another smaller phone.