2020-09-12 15:51:28 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-09-12 15:58:50)

Hi community. I stumbled across this article, when I encountered a phrase I had not yet added to my screen reader's pronunciation dictionary, . "Videogames". That wasa when I realized:
"Wait, is that how you even spell it?"
Which is why I'm asking you guys.
I suppose the same were to go for audio games too, right?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-09-12 16:15:37

Wiktionary wrote:

Noun
video (countable and uncountable, plural videos)
File:VHS_cassette_tape_05
Enlarge
A VHS video casette
1. Television, television show, movie.
2. A short film clip, with or without audio (as in a music video, or one of the plethora of user-generated short movies on sites such as YouTube).
3. Motion picture stored on VHS or some other format.
4. (dated) VHS.
Usage notes
Video is used in contrast with audio, which is sound only. It is also sometimes used in contrast with film to describe all other motion picture formats, such as videotape and digital video.

wiktionary wrote:

game (plural video games)
1. A type of game existing as and controlled by software, usually run by a video game console or a computer, played on a video terminal or television screen, and controlled by a paddle, joystick, joypad, mouse, or keyboard. [

wiktionary wrote:

Noun[edit]
audio (usually uncountable, plural audios)
1. A sound, or a sound signal [

There is no corresponding entry for audio game", but from the above examples, it's fairly easy to get either audio game, (with a space), or audiogame without one (word and Chrome's spellchecks insist that video game should have a space, but wikipedia's article suggests not).
so I would guess that Both are acceptable.

Now what we need, is to get the term audio game accepted as an English language term big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-09-12 18:01:17

I always write video game with a space.

2020-09-12 18:10:14

Thanks both!
I also tend to right "video game" with a space.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-09-12 18:18:00

I also write video game with a space, but for some reason I like to write audiogame as, well, audiogame with no space.

2020-09-12 19:00:09

@aaron, Interesting. Do you know the reason for this? Do you visit any websites with "videogame" as part of the URL? I only ask because this website has "audiogame" in the URL.

2020-09-24 10:56:54 (edited by moaddye 2020-09-24 10:59:53)

I write audiogames as audiogames and, audiogame with no spaces.
This is because I find it a bit weird to write audio games or audio game, even though it is correct anyway.
I write video games with a space, but video game is videogame without a space because I feel like it fits better.
maybe my screen reader?

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2020-09-24 19:12:15

I believe video game is written with a space. Although I do sometimes see people writing it as videogame, or audiogame, in one combined word. It's one of those words where everyone uses it differently and no one really cares. big_smile

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2020-09-25 17:57:20

@tunmi13, Well, I suppose you do have a point. big_smile