2020-07-26 01:48:38

Hi.
So as you guys can tell by the topic title, I'm not too happy with FB right now. Just a few minutes ago, I had to change my FaceBook account password yet again. If this was the first time, whatever. People are going to try getting into your account every now again, and FB locks it down until you can fix it. Maybe even the second time. This however is the fourth time in the past month, and the second time this week. I just had to change my password this past Monday.
I'm considering deactivating my account, but I can't. My mom pays for a Spotify family plan, and because of some complications, she had to make my Spotify account the main account holder. So if I kill off my FB, my mom, my grandmother and I will lose our Spotify accounts. My Mom has a pretty good library built up, as do I. So I don't want to kill off my account if I can help it.
Not only that, FB is my only point of contact with some people.
Has anyone else been experiencing this recently?
If so, what should I do?
Thanks

2020-07-26 02:34:41

I have had a Facebook account since 2011, and I have never had to change my password.

2020-07-26 03:20:35

I have had a facebook account since 2016 or there abouts, and have only changed it once to suit my personal preferences.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-07-26 03:23:25

I've had an FB account since like 2009 and have only changed my password on my initiative.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-07-26 06:26:54

Seconding what others have said, never have run into this. Could it be that you where hacked or something? I really don't know.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2020-07-26 06:44:10

Does someone have access to your fb through another divice?

Like everyone else here, I haven't had to change my pw needlessly.

2020-07-26 07:38:52

I have had a facebook account since 2017 and I have never changed my password.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-07-26 08:30:51

Someone is targetting your fb either manually or via a bot. It's likely not facebook's fault.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2020-07-26 13:35:50

I've deleted my FB account because of stupid picture upload things.

FB wanted me to upload a picture to prove it's me, I do, then a week later nothing happens, I tried to delete my account and couldn't, then the picture stuff gets done and I remove the account.

I use reddit now and thing it's amazing.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-07-26 15:08:44

I had the same problem with my apple id a few months aggo. It stopped after i got my new phone and removed the old one from the id. It is a bit unrelated but maybe the issue is the same, you have 1 device which is not correctly signed in and this one keeps trying to connect and so causes this.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2020-07-26 15:09:46

Have you tried enabling two-factor authentication?

2020-07-26 19:43:25

It's possible I could be getting hacked, but four times in one month?

2020-07-26 20:14:26

Hi,
I'd recommend not taking part in quiz-type things, you know, "I got bla bla number" and you click a link and can take part. Apparently some of those give people access to your friends list and such, and can then hack you from there.

2020-07-26 21:06:29

I've only ever had to reset my pass when using Miranda and signing into my account. I really wish there was an option to mark that as legit instead of  malware.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-27 04:31:05

As I mostly use Facebook on my phone, I never have to change password for anything. With that said, try enabling two-factor authentication, it might help.

2020-07-28 03:37:11

The latest version of Miranda NG has a better Facebook plugin now. It doesn't cause your account to be locked. I also had that issue and it was annoying as heck.

2020-07-28 04:26:01 (edited by Ethin 2020-07-28 04:27:26)

Is there any proof that people can actually hack you through your friends list or by any of the other really weird ways people have been "hacked"? Because the only way I can see anyone's FB account getting hacked is via (1) phishing or social engineering, (2) dictionary attacks/weak passwords, (3) insecure account setups via the above two methods (e.g.: deliberately not turning on MFA), or (4) a bug in FB itself that might allow for account impersonation -- something I think FB would notice. There's external device compromise too, but I'm focusing solely on FB -- including the website. Thus far, I have found no evidence to prove that such a hack -- through friends lists or otherwise through messenger -- is possible without some form of the above methods being employed.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-07-28 10:22:24

@16 About a year ago I had exactly the same problem and had to reset my password countless times. In March I Miranda-NG it again and had to reset my password only once. And that was because I forgot the last password I had set there.

2020-07-28 11:14:36

I would recommend going into your settings, and locking everything down to make it as private as possible.
Use two-factor authentication for logging in.
Pay particular attention to all the privacy settings.
Maybe make your friends list private.
Look for something called "sessions." I can't remember where it is in settings, but it will show you if you are logged in on any other devices. If you don't recognize one, log out of that session.
Go into the "apps" part of settings, and see what apps have permission to connect to your Facebook in some way, like games and such. If there are any you never use or don't recognize, revoke their permissions.
Basically, just do everything you can to make your Facebook account as locked-down as you can.
There are so many settings that help with that, it's hard for me to tell you specifically what to do, but give the settings area a thorough go-over, and hopefully that will help.

2020-07-28 11:33:23

Yeah, it also a good practice to hide your friends list as well.

2020-07-28 15:45:42

@Ethin: unfortunately, and strangely, the answer seems to be yes. I know several friends with learning disabilities who take part in a lot of quiz-type things, and next thing you know they had to change their password, or, god forbid, get a new account. One person ended up with four extra accounts. I checked their timelines and the one thing I saw in common was the sheer amount of those sites that they took part in.

2020-07-28 17:33:19

Don't blame the platform, blame the hackers.  What a great bumper sticker idea that is!  Seriously though, you might be getting hacked.

Please support me by checking out my ko-fi shop:
https://ko-fi.com/kjsisco56927

2020-07-28 19:22:12

@Draq, Thank, god! I'll definitely be grabbing that!

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-28 21:51:53

I disagree with making your friends list private. That prevents people from seeing your friends list completely, even if they're on that list. It also prevents them from seeing if they have any mutual connections.
@21, I'm not really sure how such a thing is possible. Hacking someone just by having access to their friends list... that sounds a lot like social engineering or phishing to me. It seems like the quiz's get access toyour friends list, someone manages to hack any of those friends via social engineering or phishing, and then they just repeat that over and over. But I still can't seem to find evidence to support this theory or to prove yours.

My Github

2020-07-29 03:47:37

@Ethin, when you hide your friend list, people can still see mutual friends, but not the whole list.