2020-06-18 02:33:24

@Jayde
The main thing that I've gathered from your posts is just the same thing you accuse the majority which doing: super-imposing your opinions and morals over everyone else.
And while I agree that yes, I don't know what Haily may go through, but that doesn't mean that people's opinions can  repressed like this.
Since, at least to my knowledge, you aren't trans yourself, why would your opinion, even if it was in support of this, matter more? I'm not trying to disrespect your opinion, but I don't see what makes your opinion able to be super-imposed, and not someone else's.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

Thumbs up +3

2020-06-18 02:36:04

Haily you proved Simter right

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 02:44:44 (edited by Zarvox 2020-06-18 02:59:02)

@52 thumbs-up. Also Jayde, how is she ever going to learn to thicken her skin if you keep enabling her like this? Oh right. She won't. Also maybe she isn't trying to thicken her skin because that is what men do, stereotypically. I am just saying. I don't actually believe that thought, but some do, just wanted to point that out.
Btw I am actually a male who is emotional and nurturing more than masculine. When it comes to helping other people I have a thick skin and can advocate well. But when it comes to myself I am very dull and not good at defending myself. I don't classify myself as a woman in any capacity, but I share the same emotional mindsets as a woman would for her friends or children. Any man can have this, Jayde has it to a degree, Nocternous has it to a big degree as well.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 02:56:53

You find me offensive? I find you offensive for finding me offensive, or something... But seriously, it's becoming increasingly hard for me to overlook the irony of people putting so much effort into telling us the titles are no big deal. If there's anything that makes this topic silly, it's that alone. I personally couldn't possibly care less what my title says. I never look at them. I also don't see the harm in changing someone's title if they ask for it. What does it matter to the rest of you? How many of you will even look?

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 03:02:37 (edited by Zarvox 2020-06-18 03:04:28)

@55 that is my point. No one would notice or care if this was done in private. But people don't know how to take care of their shit correctly. Dan_gero ith posting topics about other topics. Haley with talking about very small things in a topic rather than a private reqest to the mods. If you need help, ok ask. But think about how you do it and why you are doing it the way you are. I wrote many topics about dealing with blindness a year ago. But they were open ended discussions, they weren't personal things that only I would care about or only I had an issue with. And I dare say this. I made those topics to actually receive help. I think a lot of these topics are for drama or for attention. If that is not the intension, well learn to clean up your shit correctly and prove that isn't for that reason.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 03:03:15

Let's cut the bullshit and deal with facts.

1. Haily's reason for going public instead of coming to us privately is something only she knows. Most likely, she actually wanted to see what others thought of this, and it exploded in her face because everyone decided to gang up on her for no good reason. This choice will not be weaponized. Moving on.
2. A lot of the forum wanted to allow selective piracy, Zarvox. They were, and are, wrong, and we aren't allowing piracy. Citing majority opinion as valid purely due to numbers is busted. Moving on. Again.
3. I double-damn-guarantee you that Haily has more than enough shit in her life to help her thicken her skin. I promise you that even if I am able to give her a title change in this specific instance, for this specific reason, I will not be contributing to her future inability to handle adversity. Want to criticize me? Try harder. Moving on.
4. Exodus, you're stretching the point to make it look absurd. This is usually the resort of a person who's cornered and can't stand it. I've already established at great length that we have a real-life issue of someone having trouble with one specific title for a specific reason. One instance. Not a slew of them. Not exploding precedent that now means anyone can say anything and get their title changed to anything they wish. Trying to make my argument look absurd by making it stretch just tells me the argument didn't work before, and isn't now. Next!
5. Every one of you who is claiming that your "fucking deal with it" style views mean more than Haily's problem with the "playroom playboy" title is contributing to the problem by doubling down. Every. Single. One of you. I've covered this in prior posts. Please read. I dislike chewing my cabbage twice, even though many of you lot seem bent on encouraging me to do it anyway.
6. I'm not trans, but I'm well-steeped in dealing with adversity. I'm very familiar with the sort of behaviour patterns being displayed here. This includes everything from extremely thin skin to insistence that your opinion about something that isn't going to concern you matters more than the opinion of someone who's going to be affected, even if only in a small way, by it. I would wager that I'm probably more qualified to weigh in on this than many of you purely based on the experience I hold. This doesn't mean you can't find the whole mess annoying. Personally, I find it a little annoying, myself. My very first reaction was something like, "This is a bit much, isn't it?". But unlike the majority of you who've tried arguing with me, I checked my personal bias at the door and asked what was a good way to proceed and, more importantly, why. Put bluntly, I'm sick and tired of folks thinking their opinions hold weight any time they're voiced. Sometimes, they just don't. Mine holds weight here because, for one thing, I'm a member of staff, and for another thing, I'm suggesting a change to one person which will not hurt anyone else.
7. Speaking of which, I am willing to address rank changes of this nature on a case-by-case basis. This is not, and never was, a one-and-done for Haily, and only Haily. This is a viable reason to want a rank change (misgendering, small microaggression), and the effort it takes is so minimal as to make it an easy request to grant. If any of you end up with a similar request down the road, I will give you equal consideration, whether I like you or not, whether I approve of all your behaviour or not.
8. Seriously, what the fuck happened to being willing to make a harmless change which hurts no one and may in fact help at least one person find the forum a welcoming place? Given the general  lack of those - welcoming places, I mean - I am just not able to get past the resistance I"m seeing here. it makes me hugely disappointed in many of you. I thought you were above this pettiness.

Now, what was it you were saying?

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

Thumbs up +1

2020-06-18 03:09:07 (edited by Zarvox 2020-06-18 03:13:20)

the reason you have only seen one person do this Jayde is because it is so low level most people know better than to ask for something like this. I'm sorry. But taking this seriously is just not going to happen for most of us. There needs to be standards, and I think you have lowered yours in this case.
If you are going to ask for something like this, do it privatly. It's not that hard. Well it shouldn't be.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 03:31:28

Heh

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 03:41:14

The nature of microaggressions is that they are low level.That's why they're microaggressions, not macroaggressions.
If Haily had come in here stating that we all have a grudge against her due to the "playroom playboy" title, and demanded we change it right here and now, then sure. You can make an excellent case for her making too big a deal out of it. But she didn't do that.
She mentioned it publicly for reasons I can't be entirely sure of, but one common reason people make suggestions in the site and forum feedback section is because they feel that these suggestions may alleviate a problem or make the forum a better place.

Can I just stop for a sec and point out that the sheer amount of resistance spewed in this topic outshines the stuff shared in many others, lots of which actually affect everyone. Just stop and think about that for a second.

You try and claim, Zarvox, that Haily is failing to meet some nebulous minimum standard for making a public stance regarding an issue that is bothering her. It's too small and low-level to deal with, you say. It's not worth talking about, you say. Haily apparently didn't see it this way. What you're doing is essentially trying to cancel Haily's right to take exception to something publicly. Sure, she could've come to us privately, but why should she have to tiptoe? Because she's trans? Because some of the things she says get under people's skin? Last time I checked, this was a forum where if people have a grievance, they're free to air it in whichever method they choose. I'm kind of struggling to understand why you and others like you are imposing arbitrary limitations.

In fact, I'll go one step further.

Inability to empathize is playing a role here. You don't know what it is like to be misgendered and misnamed. Members of this very fucking forum have done this to Haily as recently as the last couple of days, even though we made very clear months ago that this was not going to be tolerated at all. But instead of just leaving her alone if you can't support her, you're criticizing first the thinness of her skin, and then the method of her bringing the issue to our attention.
Let me put this another way,and you probably won't like this, but I am completely over any desire I might have had to play gentle with your feelings on this point. I'm getting an impression that no matter what Haily would have asked for or suggested, and no matter who she would have talked to, some of you would have taken issue with it. I'm not going to say it's because she's transgender, but it's the sort of thing that is not at all representative of how a forum ought to run. Then again, some other folks did this impossible-to-win scenario to Rory as well, so perhaps it's just that we've got a bunch of forumites who are bound and determined to crucify anyone who bucks the status quo or challenges their social expectations. I mean, how dare Haily state that misgendering is uncomfortable! The horror, am I right?

I think some of you, at least, need to take an extremely hard look at yourselves and your behaviour. For folks who claim that a forum title doesn't matter, you've helped make an awfully big mess for something which is apparently inconsequential. You pretty much blew any credibility on this subject you might once have had straight to hell.

Now, is there anything else?

Thumbs up +1

2020-06-18 04:07:56 (edited by Zarvox 2020-06-18 04:10:12)

Tip toe and taking care of something properly are 2 completely different things dude. But you know, I have seen topics like this before, and I can say that I haven't told them the same, so you know what, have a trophy. You are right. But their issues with titles don't offend them. And if they do, they don't state it or make it a big enough deal. Fine, you win the fact that we don't shove this down other people's throats. But we also win because this is the only case we have ever seen of someone being offended by this. This is an unusual case, thus it can not be handled or treated the same way. So win win for everyone.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 04:25:55

There's a lot I would honestly like to say on this topic, but Jayde has already said most of it. I would like to apologise to the admins, mainly Jayde, for creating such an apparent shitstorm. I didn't honestly think it would blow up this badly. Really brings my general opinion of this forum to an all time low.
I'll also admit the somewhat misleading topic title and to an extent the message itself were certainly oversights on my part. I considered posting on here earlier, but knew I'd more than likely end up saying something I'd regret later. I'm also trying to limit my activity on this forum due to the general toxicity outlined above.

Thumbs up +1

2020-06-18 04:41:26

Okay. That's cleared up now. Lol. My apologies for my part in misinterpreting the meaning of it too.

I still say just go ahead with a custom title for now, then we can all discuss custom titles on a case by case basis without this thread as a base.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 04:42:36

Zarvox, the only bit of wiggle I'm giving practically anyone who's raising hell in here is that yes, this is a first for the forum. No one has taken exception with forum titles before.
But instead of treating it as a new thing, a novelty, or even something that really rings your "WTF dude?" button, you're bound and determined to find fault. Perhaps this is because the forum at large is just waiting for something to snarl at, and Haily made herself a target without intending to. Perhaps it's because some of you are trying really really hard not to be prejudicial, but it's sort of sneaking out anyway. I'd hate to think that latter, and it's not an accusation, it's just a theory. We've got to stop with this "not handling it right" situation. If this has never happened before, who are you to say that it was handled wrong? Is there some heretofore-undiscussed "Big Book of Forum Etiquette" that you know about, and some others in here know about, that nobody's sharing because they just assume that it's all general knowledge? And if so, who wrote it, and on what terms, and for whose benefit?

Like I said much earlier, it's one thing to be surprised, even flabbergasted, by Haily's request. It is new, so being put back on your heels is something I totally understand. I said before that even I kinda went, "Uh, seriously?" when I first read it. But then I took another longer look at things because I didn't want to just go with my first impulse, and I wish some of the rest of you had done likewise. If you had, we wouldn't be here.

Haily, I definitely won't try to drive you away by any means, but I guess this has just proved that about certain things, the forum is still able and willing to lose its collective mind over shit that isn't going to hurt anyone. I'm sorry it was about this topic.
That said, I can't actually change your title right now. The only two staff members who have voiced an opinion here are at odds, so essentially we need a tie-break. At this point I think the likeliest scenario is that even if we decide to tweak your title, it will be for you, and will stay close to the original, and will be updated back to the regular title you'd otherwise earn when you get there. The aim is to remove the misgendering language with the least amount of overall impact. I trust you can understand that this is not to give you any advantage or bragging rights, it's simply to alleviate a situation you find uncomfortable.

Thumbs up +1

2020-06-18 05:47:40 (edited by Zarvox 2020-06-18 05:48:33)

I don't think you realize how much drama would be avoided if a lot of people pm the mods instead of making topics for small things. All of dan_gero's topics could have been avoided that way. This topic could have been avoided that way. The recent piracy topic, rules have gone too far topic, could have been avoided. Sometimes things are better left to pm, and I don't think we have enough cases to prove whether or not that pm would help. You are probably going to say, that is encouraging silencing people's right to speak. It's not. They are speaking to the mods. But while they are speaking to the mods, no one can come in here and light a flame. No one can turn a simple request no matter how important or how silly it looks, into a drama carnival. So to answer your question, yes actually there is an unwritten rule that people are not paying attention to. Learn when pm verses public topic is necessary.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 05:49:34

Yeah, completely understandable. It'll by no means be the end of the world if nothing gets done about it either, I just made this topic mostly out of curiosity to see what other people's opinions were on the matter. Apparently something as small and insignificant as a title on a forum is also somehow large enough to spark a 3 page bitch fest on the subject. Go figure.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 05:56:53

65, I could have, and perhaps I should have, contacted the mods privately. Hell I know 1 of them off site, and Jayde seemingly has this ability to get inside my head, so we probably could have figured all of this out with no drama in between, drama which you are currently contributing to, btw. However, the simple fact remains that I didn't, and no amount of whining will fix that little error for you.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 06:09:35

Zarvox, I'm not going to argue that it stifles a person's right to free speech. You're not suggesting that people shouldn't bring this up at all, you're suggesting that people find a different way to do it.

In certain cases, I agree with you. DanGero basically calling someone out well after a situation had died down is an example. I felt then, and feel now, that while he might have had good points to bring to the table, it might've been done better another way.
Other examples aren't springing readily to mind, but I see what you're getting at here. Sometimes, it really is better to just go to us privately about something.

But changing a forum rank, or at the very least asking for someone to tweak your rank because it's upsetting you? I don't think that's an automatic hush-hush matter, as you do. Could Haily have done it that way? Sure, and we'd have processed it quietly. But should she have to? My answer is no.
Because either way you look at it, you're hung. If it really isn't a big deal, then what's the harm in posting it publicly for all and sundry to see? And if it -is a big deal, why is it up to Haily to make sure the forum doesn't treat her badly, instead of, y'know, being up to other forum members not to dogpile her when they can't wrap their heads around the fact that this grievance is simply outside of their own lived experience? It sounds a bit like you're asking Haily to not only police herself, but also to magically know that this situation was going to make the forum lose its shit. You yourself pointed out that this is new, so Haily couldn't possibly have known that this would be the result.

I suppose you can make the argument that now that it's been determined that the forum is going to freak out about almost everything, people should be much quieter. But I don't want to foster that dynamic any more than can absolutely be helped. The absolute worst I can say about Haily's first post is that I think it was trying to get rid of a problem for everyone that really only existed demonstrably for her, and she has since apologized for making that unclear. I think the rest of it - her decision to post at all, her feelings about being misgendered by a forum rank - were fair enough. Are they the end of the world? No, of course not. But they're also not at all difficult to fix.

We'll let you folks know when at least one more staff member speaks up on the subject. Until then, there's nothing I'm prepared to do, as I detest stepping on people's toes. I beg your patience in the meantime, Haily.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 06:15:36

Right, am going to showcase my humanity as best I can because I find it necessary to do so.  IN the event that you ever thought Nocturnus was some sort of nebulus concept with noone in the middle of it...
When I first saw this topic I wasn't sure if I should take it seriously.  In fact, I kind of wondered if it was an attempt at satire given topics have been sort of approaching this line of thinking. Distasteful, I said to myself, as far as satire goes, but ok.  I'll roll with it because it's not hurting me specifically.
by post 5 I was convinced I was wrong and had to be glad I hadn't posted in here in an atempt to add on the side of the satirical... I'll just go ahead and apologize here... I'm sorry to Haily and anyone else who might be offended by my initial stance on this matter.  I'd like to think I did right by waiting to post in here until I was absolutely certain of the direction of this topic, but I don't want to do a load of self-congratulating either.
Anyway, moving on... I then set about trying to organize my thoughts on this matter given a few things I'll outline as carefully as I can.  After coming out in defense of Haily on this topic,   I came under personal attack.  I'm not going to mention how it happened, where it happened or who brought it about... I'll just say that it was entirely unexpected and that it has only fueled my passion to help out however I can.  I contacted Haily privately and told her that because of who I am and my personal convictions and beliefs we may not at present see eye to eye and may never see eye to eye and I'm just flat out not going to make any bones about it, but that for all I am and am not, I do want to listen and be as receptive to her and anyone else's issues and try to understand where they're coming from if I can at all do that.
What really got me to post on here however, is post 39.  for those of you who honestly don't thinkJayde is being reasonable, rational or entirely considerate and is just trying to post his own personal perspective?  I honestly do believe that if Christ Killer became a consideration he'd take my opinion into account given that he knows I'm a Christian.
so is that it, you might be asking?  Why am I out here?:  I'm out here because there are a ton of you who seem to think this is a joke.  I'm out here because there are a fair amount of you who think this is ridiculous.  I'm out here because that lot of you has banded together today to try and make one ag net staff member look like an absolute idiot.  I'm out here because the one guy whom I've probably disagreed with most on the forum on matters than mean more to me than the whole of my personal life stepped up to the plate and said he'd stick up for anyone, Christians included, even if he personally doesn't agree with them on everything.  I'm out here because you guys haven't given him and a member of the community he has chosen to support a fair hearing, and I'm out here because no matter how you all choose to spin it, I honestly believe the lot of you are passively guilty of something called cyberbullying.
You'll say you aren't because that's easy.  You'll say you didn't because the web's definitions tell you otherwise.  You'll say you can come up with any number of legitimate arguments as to why this charge shouldn't apply to you.  What you more than likely won't do is consider the fact that for all you've posted out here, your intent has been to get a minuscule minority on this topic and indeed in this forum to back down from their original stance on a matter that for whatever reason we may never fully understand, was taken personally.
Why has Jayde chosen to stick up for Haily?  I believe the answer is rather simple; because at present, while he may not entirely embrace her position and her ideals because he doesn't exactly understand them on a personal level, there is hardly anyone else doing it.  Practically everyone has told Haily she should shut up, even if only politely.  Was it necessary?  No.  did you have to chime in on a subject that doesn't personally affect you?  No.  did you have to pile on her like she's taking away your right to drink soda out on the streets and eat as many hamburgers and fries as you like?  All in the negative.  she wanted a title looked into and she humbly asked it be reviewed from her poerspective.  She wanted levelheaded responses, and most of what she got was entirely the opposite.
So here's my hope for the rest of you.  when it comes to you being on the receiving end in an issue like this?  when it's your perspective and your opinion on the line and you feel you have nothing or noone to turn to?  When you came to ag net to voice all of your concerns and were just looking for an outlet where you felt like you could be safe and possibly find friendly faces that might just support you?  When all you find on the other end of your post is a high level of toxicity in response to them?  Remember Jayde, and hope that he remembers you.  As I understand it right now, Haily doesn't even have her parents or the rest of her family to turn to, to walk her through anything where all of her personal experiences are concerned.  Is it possible she's lying?  Is it possible that all of this is fabricated for attention?  Of course it is, as possible as it is for any one of us to be doing the same.  Maybe I don't have a wife?  Kids?  Maybe I'm not blind?  Maybe I don't actually need a screen reader?  Those who know me personally know what is true and what is not, and whatever is true about us all eventually comes out in the wash.
In closing, I'd just like to say that the lack of maturity that has been displayed out here to an honest concern, regardless how public it was made is seriously gross to me, about as gross as some of you may find the topic of transgenderism.  the level of kneejerk responses are just as if not more childish than the fact you all claim to be so childish, which is that Haily came out here to seek attention.  I hope this is never you.  I hope that you never have to go through the feeling that you're more or less floating alone in a vast sea that seems to be entirely against you and pushing at you from all sides.  Whatever I may not understand about Haily, I do know what that particular feeling is like.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up +6

2020-06-18 06:51:11 (edited by Zarvox 2020-06-18 06:58:19)

seeking for attention...
I just made this topic mostly out of curiosity to see what other people's opinions were on the matter.
Well you got our answer...
So did you actually want this to happen or was this only just to see what we would do in response?
This is why people have such a hard time with your topics OP. If we try to take it seriously, you come back and say something like that. If we try to say that this is for attention, you try to back yourself up, but then say something like this.
I don't understand...
Oh and yes I know I am contributing to it. It is a public issue now, so I can.
In short, did you want this to become a big deal on purpose? Or did you actually want this to be a discussion?
I can only speak for myself, but I am not sure if you know what you want more, help or attention, or are you hoping to get both at once? Maybe a multiple personality disorder? I have that, and it sucks.
Or are you trying to say it differently but you just don't know how?

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 07:21:10

Seeing what other people's opinions were on the matter is not the same as seeking attention.
One behaviour is trying to get noticed for its own sake. The other is a genuine desire to figure out what other people think of something.
Haily has definitely been involved in drama before, but even after rereading what she wrote several times, I can't see that this is meant as an attention grab.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 07:51:48 (edited by Ethin 2020-06-18 07:53:59)

All I will say is this: post 69 clearly outlined precisely why I haven't given my opinion on this matter -- though from a different perspective. I'll summarize it though -- I know that me jumping in here and adding my own opinion, which would be firmly along with Jayde, would only add to the dumpster fire that this topic has become. I'm putting my opinion in now because I feel like its the right time to do that, and my opinion isn't exactly volatile. Do I believe in transgenderism? Yes, I do. I am a scientist, and any good scientist has an open mind. Anyone who says that there are only two genders, and two sexes, is locking themselves into a closed-minded space. However, whether I believe in it or not is entirely irrelevant; I have no right, and would never have the right, to force my beliefs onto anyone. Do I believe that the eradication of the title that Haily currently holds is overkill? Yep, I certainly do. Do I believe that a simple custom change on her behalf, and only her behalf, is overkill? Na; it doesn't affect me. Its not a forum-wide change. And the strings attached to the deal would be that the title would only remain for the duration that it takes for Haily to exceed the post limit for that title. That's it. That seems perfectly reasonable to me. And its also perfectly reasonable to examine that on a case-by-case basis, too. Will it be complicated? Sure thing! But is it most likely the best solution? Yes. Why? Because it will cause the least intrusion on everyone else's preferences. If the title is changed forum-wide, it is changed for [everyone], both present and future. That means that the mods -- and anyone else who agrees with a forum-wide change -- are forcing their preferences regarding that title on everyone else and not allowing everyone else to have a say (I'm talking about those who don't chip into discussions about this, or those who aren't even members yet). On matters of legality or others of great importance, this is an acceptable cost to pay. On matters of this kind of importance (e.g.: not important at all because its only a single members preference, and its only what a single member wants, and therefore isn't important to anyone else but the member wanting the change), its entirely unacceptable. Therefore, a case-by-case approach is best here. Another alternative is lowering the number of posts to allow for custom titles, however that may cause its own problems.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 08:04:07

Or to do away with prenamed titles entirely. Only custom ones. Although that is a tradition. Sadly, traditions change and fade over time. Up to the mods what happens next.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 08:15:25

So can I have my title changed to business pastry?

I used to be an aventurer like you. Then I took a knee in the arrow.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 08:32:01 (edited by Zarvox 2020-06-18 08:41:36)

Jayde, how do you drive a car?
I asked a question not many people on here can relate to.
Chances are if most of the population you are engaged with can not relate to the question, the results will be shit.
I could ask a sighted person how to use voiceover on their iPhone. They wouldn't have a clue.
Unless... I educate them.
If she can explain and help us understand what this means, then maybe it would be easier to relate to. But if she just says, this bothers me, change it, that doesn't make us understand. It is like me telling the sighted person, voiceover talks to the screen, I need you to put it on for me.
I have the right to not take it seriously if I don't understand. Why do you think not many sighted people care about how voiceover works? Well 1 they don't need it. But 2, they don't understand it. And we have to give them a reason to understand. Hey, this is useful because, it is what helps me use this technology.
Now, if this issue is more life threatening or it effects a whole group of people, then that should automatically be taken seriously.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 08:43:12

I understand where Jayde and Haily are coming from, and if a custom rank is the best option for Haily's sake by all means go for it.

It is my opinion, however, that this falls into the same category of issue as sight centric language like see, read, watch, look, etc. I don't know any people who are blind who get offended if someone asks if they saw something. Not to say they aren't out there, just I haven't encountered any. Even still, I would submit that that is the way the language is structured, and I would not want to change to say, sense, feel, listen because by making that separation I am differentiating myself from others, which will just make me stand out as blind even more, and when I have sighted people try and change their language for me, it bothers me because I don't want them to think of me as different from them.

In the long-run, I think this trend of labeling everything will backfire because it is creating all these subgroups of people. When people are divided by subgroup, it is easier to make an us verses them situation. If you start off as everyone is a person, that is all you need. Everything else is just an adjective.
I am a blind person, or if you subscribe to person first language, I am a person who is blind.
To me, both are correct, in either case, I am still a person.
IN the end, however, I understand how someone recently blind might be a little more touchy about the language until they have a solid grip on their new identity, and if it helps make the transition easier for that person, why not do it? I just submit that the end-goal should be inclusiveness.

thanks,
Michael

Thumbs up