2020-06-17 14:36:11 (edited by soren 2020-06-17 14:37:31)

'haily i mean try to ignore these things. and also sorry for calling you charlie. .

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

Thumbs up

2020-06-17 16:13:41

The point was there's no point in getting worked up over something so trivial as to a title on a forum based off of audio games that we have to play, it's not calling you a playboy.

ok, so what if my for examply EX was called sarah and she had cheated on me? could i then say well that title is making me angry, so can i get a custom title until i get the next one?

Thumbs up

2020-06-17 16:35:01

Agreed with ZK.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

Thumbs up

2020-06-17 17:04:40 (edited by Mitch 2020-06-17 17:04:57)

@Jayde, we could always give Haily back her title from a while back...

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

Thumbs up

2020-06-17 17:28:24

I'm honestly surprised that this has already ballooned to 30 posts. Welcome to 2020; where individuals make it their mission to be offended by words on the internet, and where administrators support such ridiculous behaviour.

Haily, you may wish to ponder this: If you take things on the Internet this personally, I think it may be best for you (and your health) to consider taking a hiatus from your online life. At least until you're comfortable enough in your own "skin" to coexist on forums such as these without demanding that things be changed to suit your preferences.

I do not think that the current title(s) should be changed just to conform to someone's absurd wishes. Whether or not they're relatively new, the fact remains that they represent a significant connection to a lot of games (some of which are historical), and changing them would defeat the purpose. Titles such as "Playroom Playboy" obviously have nothing to do with your gender. Please get over yourself. There are more important things to task yourself with worrying about. Like the fact that we need Donald Trump for 2020, so everyone go vote for him.

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

Thumbs up +1

2020-06-17 17:40:23

whaaat?
Just don't look at the title every time you post, for the next i think 100 or 200 posts?
So now the names should be changed for every one just cause one doesn't like the social circle thing?
I do respect your opinion and why you would like this rank removed, but... why does this bother you so much? i don't want to offend any one on here, just a simple question / opinion.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2020-06-17 20:20:14

Note that I am advocating that Haily's rank, and only Haily's rank at this time, be changed. She wanted the rank itself changed for everyone, and I do not think this is reasonable until or unless we get a bunch of different people upset that they're being misgendered. If other people have no problem being called playboys, regardless of their gender, that's cool for them, but clearly Haily does have an issue with it.

Whatever you folks may think of the issue is actually kind of irrelevant in my opinion. You are not trans, and are not ostensibly going through gender transition issues. You aren't being deliberately called by a deadname (ahem, yeah, guys, that's a thing, now fucking cut it out, and yes, that does mean all of you who are doing it and don't seem to have fully gotten the message yet). Since you don't have this experience, your opinions about how easy it is to deal with aren't really germain to this discussion, so please stop trying to hammer them home. Whether one of you, four of you or forty of you say "jesus, Haily, get over it", all it's really doing is making you look like jerks. If you haven't gone through transition issues, you don't know what it is like to have an essential part of your identity being challenged, even in this admittedly small way.

The reality of the situation, as I understand it, goes like this. One of these sorts of microaggressions is really not that big a deal on its own. It's more annoying early on, when you're still wrestling with identity and trying to get folks to use your proper name and gender...but yeah, on its own, it's not a huge, earth-shattering deal. But it can add up with other things, and it can be compounded when folks dogpile you, precisely as some of you have done in this topic. You have, in fact, made the problem worse, all because you think Haily should just get over it and learn to live with it.

If you think she doesn't already know that she's in for a lot of stuff she will just have to toughen up and deal with, I think you're giving her far too little credit. I suspect that she knows better than many that there are a bunch of things that we can't change, so we'll just have to find a way to live with. Hell, I suspect we all know that, to one extent or another, and it's probably this attitude that is informing a lot of the posts in here.

But my reason for defending the request, at least to some extent, is because this change could be made to impact only Haily, and could be made very, very easily. I'd do it myself and save everyone else the headache of dealing with it. Frankly, the only reason I haven't done it yet is because Carter is clearly in disagreement with me here, and I'm not just gonna pull the trigger and override someone when I know their position opposes mine. If this change required a whole lot of legwork, or if it truly disadvantaged someone else, then I'd probably tell Haily that she'd have to find a way to work around the issue. Sometimes, change is not worth the effort; if it ain't broke for most people, don't fix it. Since it doesn't, I really don't see a problem in honouring it for Haily specifically.

So, in summary, I do accept that sometimes we just have to deal with stuff. Microaggressions happen every day to damn near everyone, and we can't go getting outraged at every little thing. But at the same time, I think folks in minorities get awfully tired of being told what is and is not a worthy cause for concern, so I wish you people would, as I said before, stop it and, if nothing else, just stay out of the way. Whether it gets done or not will have no impact on you personally.

Oh, and to address the "I have an ex named Sarah" thing. Again, Sarah is not part of your identity. I can accept that someone named Sarah might have traumatized you, and you may not like being part of Sarah's social circle, but asking for the rank to be changed wouldn't be all that reasonable in that situation IMO, unless, for instance, Sarah did you so much harm that you're legitimately triggered by it. Again, some of you are gonna roll your eyes at this, and there's something to be said for learning how to deal with stuff we don't like, but given that fixes of this nature are really quick and easy, and don't hurt anyone, I see no reason not to at least keep the door open for them.

I find it interesting that most of you are operating from a position where you imply that we should have to provide compelling evidence as to why we should change something, when that change hurts no one (remember, I'm talking about changing Haily's rank only, not the rank overall). I tend, by contrast, to operate from precisely the other end of the spectrum. I need someone to give me a good reason why we should not honour at least part of Haily's request.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

Thumbs up

2020-06-17 20:42:27 (edited by Dgleks 2020-06-17 20:43:07)

@Jayde: So many things that I could say, but I'll leave you with this:

You don't have to be a 5 star chef to know that a meal sucks. You don't have to be an amazing artist to know that a song is bad. Please stop implying that those who aren't trance can't chime in with their opinions. This has nothing to do with being misgendered or disrespected, it's about someone disagreeing with a piece of text on an internet forum and making a big deal about it. I don't have to (as you implied it) be in Haily's shews to be able to comment on/disagree with what she's preaching about.

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

Thumbs up +3

2020-06-17 20:51:01

Okay. I'll bite.
You're right. You don't have to be a five-star chef to know that a meal sucks. so for you, personally, to feel that this text is too small a deal to make an issue of is absolutely 100% okay. Where it comes to you, you don't have to object to the text or even to understand why someone else is.
To stay consistent with your analogy, what you and others are doing right now is saying that because you enjoyed this five-star meal, Haily can't say that it sucks and shouldn't send it back. Put another way, you are superimposing your tolerances onto Haily, and that's not cool. You're basically saying that if you and others aren't bothered by this, Haily shouldn't be either.

You're ostensibly visually impaired, right? If you own a cane, does it ever bother you when people grab it out of nowhere and try to guide you? Or how about being yanked by the arm, or assumed to need help when you don't? If you have a guide dog, does it bug you when people pet your guide dog without asking? When you're walking more slowly than other people, and folks yell out directions you don't need, does it annoy you sometimes? Do you ever find that people treat you like a child, and if so, doesn't it bug the almighty snot out of you? Does the experience of being visually impaired in any way bother you, ever? Because I can tell you it bothers me sometimes, and I can further tell you that if I'm having a rough go of it, or have had a lot of difficulty being blind lately for some reason (new route, difficult people, any number of things), someone coming up and saying "I don't see what you're so upset about" is going to annoy me. Who the hell are you to tell me when and where and why I should be annoyed? Get over yourself.

Mix and match your disabilities and your life experience, by the way. If you're black, maybe casual racism bothers you. If you're female, maybe sexism bothers you.
Now how would you enjoy being told to just get over it by someone when you said you wished thing x didn't affect you and should stop?

Now, I'll double down for a sec.

When it comes to gender identity and exual preference, people seem to really put their chips down where it comes to the superimposition of their own morals or tolerances on other people. As such, based on what I've heard, learned, read and come to understand from many people in my life who have shared personal anecdotes, I've come to accept that trans people, in particular, are almost always being bombarded in a hundred small ways to be a certain way, act a certain way, turn the other cheek, to just fucking deal with it because they're weird and the world is still getting used to it, or however you want to phrase it. You know how it's often said by black people that they're expected to bear the burden of educating white people and helping them manage their guilt? Yeah, trans people have it pretty bad in this regard as well, from everything I've seen. And if you're a young trans woman who has only fairly recently made her transition, if you're already a bit emotionally volatile, if you've already felt that the community (or parts of it) have attacked you needlessly by using your deadname and such? Yeah...to expect Haily to have the exact same thick skin as everyone else is not reasonable. To assume you know why she's upset is equally ridiculous. Stop placing your expectations on her this way. You probably wouldn't like it if it were done to you. Show some freaking empathy.

I've seen this literally dozens of times, and I've called it every single time. You can dance all day, but you're still stuck in the corner. My advice is to just accept that you've overstepped yourself a bit, take a pace or two backward, and ask yourself why it seemed necessary to condemn this action when its result would have zero impact on you.

Thumbs up +1

2020-06-17 21:07:44

having people grabbing you  or shouting directions  to you in the street is completely different to getting so pissed at something that really means nothing

but hey i guess as we have never been thru what she is going thru, which i get is a really big deal to her, we can't express our opinions to as to why she shouldnt' get as pissed at something so trivial as to a title on a forum.

Thumbs up

2020-06-17 21:23:47

How is it different though? That's what I'm trying to get you to understand.

Having unpleasant navigational experiences is annoying. It doesn't completely make life unlivable, but it's annoying. I can attest to this personally. There were days last year when I'd get to work and be utterly fed up with the world at large already. Obviously I wasn't going to punch the first person who approached me the wrong way, but I definitely showed some frustration at times. It's not always on me to turn the other cheek or educate people. Someone telling me, "hey man, it's no big deal" would likely have earned my scorn if not my ire, because again, who the hell are they to tell me what should offend me or not?

This is no different.

Saying that it doesn't offend you is totally okay. It's not precisely the point, but it's okay. Even going so far as to state that you'd rather not see the entire rank changed to suit one person, I can understand. It might not need to be said, but it's really not that offensive either.

But saying that she shouldn't be offended? Repeatedly referring to it as trivial? Both of these things are, in essence, you deciding to put your experience ahead of Haily's, in an arena where her lived experience trumps hell out of your own.

If you were going to be hurt or seriously inconvenienced by a change that might result from Haily's taking issue with the rank of Playroom Playboy, I'd feel differently. But none of you have legitimate grounds to be upset at this stage, as far as I've seen.

If you can show me factually how you should have the right to invalidate or minimize Haily's feelings while having your own validated instead - and yes, that's precisely what we're talking about here, so don't try and defend this - I'd like to see it. If you can make a convincing argument, you will be the first, and I've seen literally hundreds of attempts like this before, here and elsewhere. Go ahead and try, if you wish, but I'll tell you now; if the hundreds who came before you had no luck - with me and with others - I doubt you'll be any different. But have on, if you wish. Tell me why your opinions about someone else being upset should matter more than that other person's opinion, when it is they who are raising the objection and have grounds to protest this small microaggression where you very clearly do not.

Thumbs up +2

2020-06-17 21:34:45

jade i disagree i think the people are raging about so fucking small things that it sadli get's funny.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

Thumbs up

2020-06-17 21:42:13

Soren, again: why is it that you get to decide how small or big something is?

Scenario for you.

Let's say for a moment that you were a diehard Christian. Now let's say one of the ranks was "Christ killer". Just work with me here.
I'm not a Christian. It's easy for me to say, "well, it's just words on a forum, just ignore it. It's not really trying to upset you". And that latter is true. Nobody is trying to deliberately upset anyone with the creation of unique ranks. That's obvious.
But what if the "Christ killer" rank really, really upset you? What if you thought it was really tasteless and crude? What if you felt attacked as a Christian? If you said so, I might disagree with you personally. I might feel that there are some things you're going to need to toughen yourself against. But do you know what I -wouldn't do? I wouldn't come into your thread and say "there's no problem with this. You're just overreacting. If this bothers you, it's your problem". Because you have a right to be offended by something like this. If your religion was a large part of your identity, then someone mocking it or a particular thing you were seeing everywhere mocking it might bother you. Sure, you might be able to just turn aside, shrug it off, and if you can, that's awesome. Power to you. But sometimes we can't. Or sometimes we just don't want to. And we shouldn't always have to. While life is definitely about growing a spine and learning to be tough sometimes, it's also about calling shit out. We could argue about whether this needed calling out, or the method by which it was called out, I suppose, and there's some wiggle there, for sure. But what I would've hoped is that for most of you, who have no horse in this race and no reason to take issue with anything herein, you'd just shake your head, roll your eyes, say something like, "Ah, Haily's at it again" to yourself and walk away.

But you didn't do that. Over and over, people keep telling us how Haily has no right to object to this rank or be upset by it. People are making assumptions as to -why Haily is even upset, which are grounded not in fact but in guesswork. At this point, it ceases to be about whether or not Haily should've spoken of this at all, and starts being about why so many people think it's their God-given right to walk into a topic which has little to nothing to do with them, and dictate terms and standards. It's fucking amazing, honestly.

Thumbs up

2020-06-17 22:06:03 (edited by cartertemm 2020-06-17 22:15:31)

@jayde
I too think your example fell a tad short of the mark.
A form that fails to take into account non-binary individuals is certainly a microaggression, as it impedes expression and discounts a sociological gender. In such a case, the signer would be well within their right to acknowledge the fact that they're unable to complete said form factually.
Pulling out the dictionary again. As this isn't misgendering by the formal definition, this isn't a microaggression by the formal definition, either.

microaggression wrote:

a statement, action, or incident regarded as an instance of indirect, subtle, or unintentional discrimination against members of a marginalized group such as a racial or ethnic minority.

discrimination wrote:

the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

The above implies that the title is being used to represent her as a person, which it most certainly is not. It also implies that she is being discriminated against, which is simply untrue.
A microaggression stems from biases against a particular group, e.g. a white female cringing and subconsciously grabbing her bag when getting in an elevator with a black male (read that one somewhere). While the female isn't accusing the male of violent tendencies, she's, if unintentionally, judging him by preexisting stereotypes and racial tension.
No assumptions about Haily are being made in this instance, no prejudicial treatment. I could argue that in requesting different/special treatment she is actually opening the door to discrimination and further exacerbating the matter by drawing attention to herself. That's another one maybe for another day.

A microaggression is not, however, a blanket term that can be used when offense is taken out of a situation where no offense was intended.

She is, of course, well in her right to feel the way she does in any given situation. I acknowledge that, just as I am freely able to feel that when viewed through this particular lens, her concern is comparatively unimportant. Each and every one of us has challenges that we must overcome in our own way. The difficult time she has had in dealing with her new gender identity is distasteful, and I don't expect her to wear the same thick skin as myself when looking at this issue.
I steadfastly believe in the importance in looking at a problem big picture. Blindness? People genuinely don't know in 99% of cases. It's not a big deal? Maybe that doesn't help you and your emotionally charged interpretation, but doesn't make it untrue. When one lets their opinions be known, be it through actions or discourse, they open the floodgates for commentary by those with differing levels of experience.
It's not ridiculous to assume, based on the content of her posts here and everywhere else, that we know why she is upset.

You're right in saying this is a simple process. It could literally be changed in an eighth of the time it took me to write this post. However, I feel that altering this is quite frankly unnecessary and would further set a bad precedent.
Administrative action on this forum, at any capacity, should be objective. What is allowed for one user should be offered to others for the same reasons, and I feel that we aught to make note of our allowance somewhere lest we once again have a long list of edge cases. That, or say fuck it, find another name for the title that would make everyone happy and put this issue to bed?

I'll reiterate. The title isn't referring to her as a wealthy philanderer. It's a piece of historical resemblance to a loved audiogame, and context should place a critical role in decision making.

Thumbs up +5

2020-06-17 22:12:50

exactly the point i was trying to make cartertemm

Thumbs up

2020-06-17 22:29:38

The term "playgirl" does exist, albeit more rarely.

This means that by applying the word "playboy" to all users, there is some level of misgendering going on. It is similar to the sort of thing which says that formal English requires "he", or used to at least, when in formal mode. An example: "A person is best approached when his mind is calm" would be correct, but it is a natural bias toward the male gender term.

Microaggressions can be unintentional. I agree there. There is no doubt in my mind that absolutely no harm was indended with the term "playroom playboy". I am not attempting to infer intentional harm.

But where I stand by what I said is in the assertion that this is, in fact, a microaggression, albeit a fairly small one.

Discrimination exists in this instance because transgender individuals are often misgendered, either by mistake or on purpose, and given that the nature of coming out means switching genders, this is a constant callback to their gender identity. For the average person, having a title which refers to you (and everyone else with the same title) as male doesn't really mean much, because it's not personal. However, if your gender identity is something that you are fighting for, something that is being challenged, then having a designation applied to you which refers to the wrong gender is, on some level, discriminatory.

I also fail to see how changing Haily's rank, and hers alone, actually opens the door for problems.

1. I am willing to do this myself, which also means I'm willing to take on the responsibility of doing it more if it needs to be done
2. The change to Haily's rank hurts no one and may help her, while standing pat helps no one and may cause her some level of upset
3. The effort necessary for the change is so ridiculously low that refusing it feels very much like a denial in bad faith
4. I see Haily as an edge case, but I would rather set the precedent that we are willing to deal with edge cases than deny her based on this fact

Thumbs up

2020-06-17 23:08:10

i am sorry jaide bud i canned take you seriusly here. am i the only person in the world who learned that some times you just need to ignore things even if it is fucking hard.

Thumbs up

2020-06-17 23:51:02

This is why we can't have nice things...

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

Thumbs up +1

2020-06-18 00:08:45

Soren, you're dead right. We can't always walk on easy street. I've never said we can.

But if we have an opportunity to make one person's life a tiny bit nicer or easier, at no personal, professional or communal cost to anyone, why the hell would anyone object to that?

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 00:27:18

Don't know. This topic is called "this title needs to go", not "can my title please be changed?" If that was the case, probably people would react differently. I mean, there will obviously be people who will keep saying that she is taking things too far, but that's the Internet. She makes it very clear in her first post that the title should simply be removed, not asking if she can have it modified for herself only.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 00:30:30

Right. And I disagree at this point that the title itself needs to go. We could scrap it, and that would be future-proof as well. But Haily is the one having the issue, so at least at this point I think that fixing the title for her is the main point.

It's one of those things that the majority of people won't so much as blink about, and no one expected it to cause trouble. But now that it has, even in an admittedly small way, I think it behooves us to confront it rather than shying away at the risk of nebulous "bad precedent".

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 01:22:10 (edited by Lucas1 2020-06-18 01:22:36)

When the unthinking, unfeeling forum software misgenders me it's a knife in my heart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uswVNT9TYEc

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 01:34:28

I concur. Changing her title to something else for the time being would probably be the most reasonable option at this point. Whether this should be handled on a case by case basis in the future though... I don't know. I can see the potential for abuse. Not by staff, but by people who just want a title change just because, and are willing to fake some reason to change it.

The  other, less popular  option would be to go through all the titles and make them gender neutral. I'm personally not a fan of this one, because it seems extreme and unnecessary as I said before.

The fairest option for the future would be to make titles based on a gender option, but this would probably require the webmasters to get involved. I don't even know how difficult that would be to implement.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 02:18:04 (edited by Zarvox 2020-06-18 02:26:50)

I didn't bother reading past 40, and I don't need to.

@1, this is completely childish.
@Jayde, if the majority agrees on something, it most likely means they are correct. Not in all cases, but generally.
You know why this is childish most of all? She could have fucking pmed Jayde to change the name. That's all it fucking takes. But instead, she wanted to make this a public thing. A personal thing made public for no reason. Look at that. If this had been done in secret not many people would have noticed, and I think it would have taken much longer for someone to care about it.
This, is, completely, ridiculous!
It's not about who you are, it's about how you do things. This is ridiculous to begin with, but if it had been done in secret, I wouldn't be saying anything, mostly because I don't even look at who is what rank. So great job, you just opened yourself up for bashing. It's not who you are, it is how you take care of your issues.
Btw if she can blow up about this topic, I can too. No she hasn't put the f word in her posts on here, but an f word isn't a personal attack unless purposely made one.

Thumbs up

2020-06-18 02:30:32

If we're going to start changing titles all over the place, then the community should be allowed to vote on if this even happens in the first place, instead of everything being messed with for the sake of one toxic forum member.
If we're doing customized titles for one person because reasons, then we all should be allowed the same.
I'm a fan of this, because then everyone gets to be unique snowflakes and bee what they want to be. I'm not a fan of the work it puts onto the moderators, however.
Titles could also just be switched off, because every single title has the potential to offend someone. Human Antivirus by jayde logic, commits a microaggression against anyone who identifies as something nonhuman by sticking the filthy H word in their title, thus implying that they are something they feel they aren't.
God of speed hoists religion onto those who may steadfastly  avoid such things. Palace Palace punisher could imply that the most dedicated pacifists among us like to punish large, fancy buildings. It would also be considered offensive to those who choose to identify as a palace.
We could also just go on as before and accept that we just don't get what we want sometimes, I know I'd prefer to not be the human antivirus but that's just how the forum be.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

Thumbs up +2