2020-05-25 11:38:32

Hi Lemm,
I don't know, change this key to for example right ctrl, right shift or something, because this is really iritating. Try use command key_APPLICATION, this shoult work.

ice, fire, water, thunder.

Thumbs up

2020-05-25 16:24:04

Coolness. As I said one of the characters in the book idea I've been playing with would actually be considered something like a hunter or ranger, skilled with a bow and that sort of thing. Then another character would be considered a thief, able to steal items from enemies and things. He's actually a Leprechaun LOL. But incorporating him might be contingent on whether or not the engine allows for having more than four playable characters. As I said though, you could have a place in a town, an inn for instance, where the inactive characters would hang out and then you could swap them in and out as you wanted. Some games even offer a vehicle that can serve the same purpose, so the inactive party members would still be traveling with you, they just wouldn't be used in combat unless they were brought into the active party. That could be hard to implement I imagine. As you can guess I've put a lot of thought into this story idea LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

Thumbs up

2020-05-25 18:22:10

Hi I'm finished creating my little game animal rescue I just need to put my cut sceens for the intro and the game ending how do I go about doing this?

Thumbs up

2020-05-25 18:27:58

427 its maybe not that hard but hwo knows

2020-05-25 18:44:29

It's Shift I for the Cutscenes.

Hearthstone Tag ID: RobotWizard#1265216

Thumbs up

2020-05-25 19:27:31

Ok thanks.

Thumbs up

2020-05-25 19:49:38

Hi how do I trigger my game ending.  I want to do it after I find my last animal.

Thumbs up

2020-05-25 20:03:33

You just add an event trigger to your last animal if this is an npc, and select end game.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @thecoolgamer4 and subscribe to my Youtube channel

2020-05-25 20:38:07

thanks I just figured it out and I did a run through of the game and its awesome it has no enemies just a simple game.  I'm going to record a play through.

Thumbs up

2020-05-26 00:29:47

Hi everyone here is my play through of my game Animal Rescue their is no comontary just the game.  I made all of the music.  Enjoy  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RiQ2q … PG8JdGTTcK

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-26 01:07:11 (edited by lemm 2020-05-26 01:41:33)

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late reply, I had a  bit of a nightmare with my washing machine today, turns out me attempting to fix said problem since I know nothing about washing machines and can’t see what I was doing was probably a huge mistake hahaha. I’m literally paying the price now as have had to order a new one, turns out I should stick to coding and avoid plumbing in future!  smile Someone has reported a bug in my last update, if entering  play game mode and instead of selecting create new save file you choose to load an existing play game save file, it may not load that save file. this was due to one of the changes I made and some test code I forgot to remove when I sent out the update yesterday. so if anyone’s having problems loading previously saved play game files in their project, just redownload the update, it will show as version 1.9.1, the only change is the bug I just mentioned. The update link is the same as the one I posted yesterday, but I’ll put the link at the bottom of the post if anyone needs it again. below are a few answers to the questions which have come in too:

@Bryan P and Omer, I don’t think adding a custom class option will be particularly difficult. I think as a lot of focus has gone into thinking about what is required for our first game Crimson Eclipse, for this there is no need for custom class creation, which is one of the reasons there’s not currently a tool for this in Sable. adding a class tool is one of those things that we should be able to add in fairly easily, since I’ve already coded the class system in a way so that it can be extended and without affecting the current code, so it’s one of those things we can add before release which will add further polish and refinement to Sable.
@ Greg Steel, pleased to hear you have finished your project, it’s just gone midnight here now though, so I’ll probably have to wait until tomorrow to check out the recording, looking forward to seeing your project in action in the recording.

Sable 1.9.1 update link
https://ebonskystudios.com/sable-update/

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-26 01:26:25

an idea came in to mind today
after the demo has ended,you should abel to play the made games, the edit feature can be disabled for good, but disabling the program for good maybe not a good idea
i dont think its that hard, simply remove that load a project option from the main menu and the users can enjoy their creations even after thedemo has ended
it should also say in window tile or anything that this version is no longer supported, only it will allow  you to play games that you have created, no  new games can be created untl the main release

2020-05-26 08:12:56

Hi.
I've got more busy than expected, so I don't have the time to make what I have in mind for the Sable contest. It's a shame, but I look very much forward to the official release. I'm glad I've been able to check out the beta version.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-05-26 12:24:30

Hi lemm,
Please add change logs.
You was repaired context menu key?

Thumbs up

2020-05-26 12:25:14 (edited by omer 2020-05-26 12:25:49)

changelogs already exists

2020-05-26 23:38:05

Hi everyone,

I’ll answer the questions which have come in below:

@SLJ, really pleased you had a chance to get to play around with Sable and even more pleased to hear you enjoyed it too. thanks for all the great suggestions and comments.
@ömer, I’ve seen a few people ask this, I think it’s important to remember that this was never meant to be a public release, it was only meant for private alpha testing, we took the decision to  make the Alpha testing available to all to  try and do our part to help with some of the stress and boredom  caused by the unprecedented corona pandemic and the lock down most of us were facing. This was our way of thanking everyone for their support of the project  so far and also giving everyone a chance to try sable first hand for themselves, even if it was only for three weeks. Sadly it’s not quite as straight forward as just allowing a playable version, there are various issues with this. Its been great that so many people have sent in messages, posts, bug reports and suggestions and been great to see how passionate everyone is about the project, I’ve enjoyed answering all the questions which have come in, looking over peoples projects where they have had difficulties, watching  recordings people have sent me, which again I’ve really enjoyed, but its left me almost no time for actual coding and development. I think if there was a playable version of Sable out after the 31st may, I would continue receiving emails and posts regarding all of the above and this would hugely slow down the development cycle which in turn would mean it would take longer to complete Sable and get a final release of Sable out. Secondly, I think if there was a playable version, people would want updates if they found anything broken /not working in their projects, this would also hugely slow Sables development. Since sable is still only in the Alpha stage of development there may be changes as a result of some of the fantastic suggestions which have come in which would prevent previously created projects working. If there were public versions available I would need to try and code new features around old code to prevent breaking previously created maps, this is not only a clunky way of coding, but would again also hugely slow the development process and as above would push the eventual release date of sable further and further into the future. I appreciate people are only asking for extensions and playable versions due to how much they have enjoyed Sable, and it really is great to see that people are so passionate  about the project, I’ve been touched to see how much the project has meant to some people and how much excitement and enthusiasm towards the project there has been. For anyone wanting a little extra time with sable I would recommend making a recording of their project and posting it to the Sable competition page, as the winner of that will receive a place on our private testing  team which will give them a couple of extra weeks access with Sable.

Paul lemm

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-27 04:24:03

Hey Paul!!

I understand completely, that's why I'm glad that we got to tested out the Alpha version. I know you guys working hard for the final product and the game. So I'm just sit back and waiting for the game. Thanks again for the opportunity to test out Sable!!

Hearthstone Tag ID: RobotWizard#1265216

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-27 10:17:02

Hi,
I have 2 ideas.
1. Custom battle music for each map.
2. Enemies battle cries. If enemy enters the battle, sable will play enemy battle cry

Thumbs up

2020-05-27 18:07:54

Hi,

@dragons, as ever a huge thanks for your continued support, I’m really pleased we were able to offer a public release to everyone, its been great to see so many people such as yourself creating projects and having fun with Sable.
@Pates, good suggestions, a couple of others have requested similar. I really like the battle music suggestion and it may be something I try and play around with at some point in the future. regarding enemy battle cries at the start of battle, it’s something we’ve discussed here at ebon Sky Studios in the past, the issue is trying to implement it so it  doesn’t end up sounding clunky. I think its fine if you’ve got say 4 wolves, but if you have 4 completely different enemies  you can’t really have them all play at the same time as it sounds messy, if you have them each separated out so they play individually then it would really drag out the start of a battle, which might get annoying after a while. It’s probably something I’ll have a play around with and if I can come up with an elegant solution which sounds good it’s something we might still see. Regarding your context menu request, I went back over some of the key constants for BGT, I must have just overlooked it before, but there is a key constant for the applications key, so I have changed this in Sable.  So in the final release of Sable you’ll be pleased to know the context menu is now assigned to the applications key. With only a few days left of the public alpha and this being such a small change, it’s probably not worth putting out an update for just this. However, if you are having problems with the right alt key still, drop me an email to [email protected] and I’ll send you an amended version of Sable which uses the application key. Probably not worth

Paul Lemm

Thumbs up

2020-05-27 19:03:31 (edited by omer 2020-05-27 19:04:44)

444, a verry easy and reliable  salution to that problem is ability to assign sounds for enemy bands instead of each of the enemies

so for example, you can do it somehting like this, you can have giggling witches in the forest while having hissing ones in th graveyard maybe, if none sound is assgned, the game will play the random  one

2020-05-27 21:16:12 (edited by threeblacknoises 2020-05-27 21:17:20)

Hay Paul, a few final miner additions/fixes to sable to suggest.
Yeah, I know I'm braking my own rule about the last ones being it, but my internet just got fixed? Hopefully, so I'm trying to make something I can feel proud of sharing before the deadline; no promises though...
Anyway, my suggestions.
1. When loading a project, sable should give the creater the option to make a new map at the bottom of the current map selection menu.
2. event triggers for cutsceens should also be allowed to be placed across a wide area.
This way a creater could have instrructions/storyline play out, regardless of where a player chooses to explore on the map.
3. More editing options for doors, please.
I got past my writer's block on how to proceed with my project, only to find that I had to remake the simulation pod and computer npc from scratch, just to make everything work right again.
And all I was trying to do was change the destination map for the pod...
Oh yeah, yet more bugs; for your, ever growing pile; sorry...
When placing custom wall sounds in a map, everything works fine except for the fact that my sapi voice is saying the name of the wall sound whenever I walk into it instead of actually playing the sound, and I can still move past it as if it weren't there.
Turning walls off and back on fixes both issues though.
When placing an intro sceen and text, the text and music play just fine except for the fact that sable doesn't know; or care; when the text it done speaking, so the music just finshes before giving the player control within the map.
Also, intro sounds seem to sort of loop as they fade out.
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-27 23:12:12

I'm definitely looking forward to Crimson Eclipse and the full release version of Sable. I've at least got an idea of howw I want to start my project.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

Thumbs up

2020-05-27 23:54:37 (edited by lemm 2020-05-27 23:55:52)

Hi,

@ömer, An option to assign an opening battle sound  to enemy bands is a really good idea. it would work really well for fixed bands where you know which enemies are going to be in which band. I think the only problem with this would be for non-fixed bands, where the enemies which appear in the band are completely random. I’ve created bands with 5 or 6 different enemies in the band, and sable will pick at random from that band. For example, there might be bats, wolves, orc’s, rats , dragons and goblins  set in that band, sable will then pick a selection each time I encounter that band, so I could possibly end up fighting 4 cave bats, or 2 wolves and a dragon, and I think it would be more difficult to select a set sound set for more random  enemy bands like these. I like the suggestion for fixed bands though, and if you have other ideas for the more random bands I’d be really interested in those as I think it would be a good feature to add
@Threeblacknoises. Pleased  to hear you got your internet all up and running. I completely forgot, but the other day you asked about either creating enemies that didn’t miss, or weapons which couldn’t miss, sorry I can’t remember which it was. I said I’d come back to you on that, but I’ve been so busy I just totally forgot, sorry for that. The easiest  way to do this is increase  weapon or enemies accuracy. It’s somewhat over kill, but you could increase it to twenty and it would pretty much always hit , well unless you came across something pretty nasty hahaha. The other thing you could do with weapons is drop the critical hit chance. Again, its total over kill but you could drop the critical chance to 2 (it’s based on a dice roll, so you’d have  to be pretty unlucky to get a 1 out of  a d20, especially since that will include stat modifiers too) this would mean it would crit each time, therefore also hit each time too. hope both suggestions help.
as for your suggestions.
1.    The create new map option is a good idea.
2.    Sized event triggers, This is a good idea. I’ve gotten around this in my own maps by creating  auto sized transitions, so when a player stands on any part of the sized transition it fires the cut scene. since I don’t actually want it to work like a sized transition, I’ve just added no sounds and set it to locked so the player can’t use it, once I’ve placed it I’ve just deleted the exit. What I’d like to do as a more long term solution is add the ability to size trigger objects which would be a  much more straight forward way of doing this, but I thought I’d mention it as a temporary work around solution.
3.    The ability to reassign where doors point to might be more tricky, since they specifically work in set pairs. One alternative to this is to instead of using doors, possibly use fast travel points, or trigger objects which use the move to location?
Regarding your bugs:
1The wall thing is more of a design feature rather than a bug. Basically when you first lay a wall tile it starts in a deactivated state, this way it is possible to walk through it, as otherwise you would get stuck in it as you moved, it also reads the name of the collision/wall tile or its label, so even though you can walk through it you know what it is. For example if you were making a table and it placed actual impassable collision tiles you  wouldn’t be able to go back on yourself if you missed creating part of the table in  the middle. I think the confusing thing  here is that since you normally walk around your map with walls activated, pressing the wall toggle first deactivates your walls then you need to press it again to activate walls and have your newly created collision tiles become impassable
2.with the intro thing, the looping definitely shouldn’t happen when it fades I’ll look into that.  Regarding your text and music bug, just to clarify are you  saying the music stops whilst the text is still speaking  or that the music doesn’t stop when the text stops, or have I completely miss understood  what you meant smile
@Bryan P, pleased to hear you are looking forward to Crimson Eclipse

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

Thumbs up

2020-05-28 00:55:07

Hay Paul, as always thanks for getting back.
Regarding the intro bugs:
If music is playing when text finishes, Sable lets the music finish before fading out and entering the map proper.
If music finishes while text is speaking, it just stops until the text finishes, then the fade out happens.
I think the reason these bugs exist is not really a fault of the engine, but rather a fault of how the creater; at this current stage; must incorporate it into a cutsceen.
A way around this problem would be to code; yes I said the evil word; a system that lets creaters kind of stage a cutsceen in a timeline; as I believe I said a while back.
This way, cutsceens and text could fire off while optional music plays in the background.
this would get around sapi5 issues with speed, lag and the like.
But while I'm here
I need to report... another... bug!
Yes, I said that to.
I feel that I'm not really creating a test project at this point, but exposing every single flaw in Sable... sorry...
Anyway, I made a text cutsceen and set it to fire when the player reaches a set posission on my map.
The bug happened when I went into game mode to test it.
The sceen fired, but not when I moved the character to the required spot, but when the map first loaded.
After the issue, I returned to the title screen, went back into creater mode and found that the character was standing on the tile that fired the cutsceen.
So I moved the character to the starting position on the map, saved it, returned back to the title screen, then repeated the test and the cutsceen fired correctly.
Even if I can't show off my project, I'll at the vary least have some assets and planning done for the full release of Sable, and Sable; I hope; will be slightly better due to my feedback.
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-28 01:45:23

I didn't think you could have cutscenes with text. I've wanted to do that, have a little seen where the main character explains a bit about who he is and what he's doing before you take control of him. I just wasn't aware you could do that since the intro menu seems to only feature options for sound files.

Thumbs up