2020-05-21 00:50:22

Hi everyone,

Sorry if I’ve been a little quiet on here, but have had my little boy staying at mine today and yesterday,  what time I have had free I’ve been trying to get a little bug fixing done. I’ll try and answer the questions which have come in below:
@Firence, you can also assign status affects to equipment too, so you could for example add regen to a piece of armour, or add say something to a weapon like say frozen, which encases your target in ice and prevents them moving/taking a turn. Other than that though and levelling that is the only way to give abilities to players.
@Threeblindnoises, regarding enemies yes this is correct, the only sounds they have is pain and death. Although when you create an enemy you are also asked to assign it an unarmed sound set too. the unarmed sound set is separate to the enemy sound set and obviously not all your enemies will use this , as they might be equipped with a weapon. But I thought its worth mentioning this for any enemies you might have that do not hold weapons, since you will need to also give these enemies unarmed sound sets. As for your battle music suggestion, sorry that was my bad for writing it as I did, when I said tricky, I meant more tricky as it involves coding something specifically  in rather than the user just changing the track. It’s not actually particularly difficult code, it just means lots of little behind the scenes stuff such as having to add additional saving and loading  for each map, adding new menu options and interfaces for selecting the music  , then some internal decisions as to where this music would be stored, if it  was in the music folder then I would have to have different pointers for the default music and custom music, if I added it to the battle folder I would need to add extra code to sable for it to search that folder, then would need to possibly look at ways of not including some of the non-music tracks which are in that folder. The victory music would require all the same  requirements,, although with the added addition that it takes an intro and main track at present.. As for your questions about elementals, it doesn’t work quite like that, so one thing is not automatically resilient to another, the creator gets to decide this themselves. If you want to create for example some watery armour of might , this would only be resilient to fire if you choose to add fire resilience to it, you could just as easily add necrotic resilience , it doesn’t make as much sense, but  with this set up the creator is free to set what items are resilient to one another, rather than us decide that for you, so it gives a lot more  freedom and customisation options to each creator.
@ Bryan P, ah, sorry I completely miss understood, I probably hadn’t had enough tea  (or maybe too much tea hahaha) when  I read your message, it makes perfect sense now I’m rereading it. yes,  your right I think it would make more sense as you suggested, ability code  is something I completely re wrote last month, I got rid of the old code and added all new code in its place, the new code is a lot smaller, with all the same functionality (in fact a little more actually), but is more user friendly and intuitive to use, its more future proofed as easier to add new status affect types from a coding stand point  and just a lot easier to manage behind the scenes. Due to such a big overhaul this is why a few issues are being spotted here, like your cure poison bug and some timing issues as you mentioned. so if you do come across anything else like this do let me know, some things aren’t always as easy to change, but most timing issues like this are, so if anything doesn’t feel right timing wise like you spotted, just let me know and I can add it to my list of suggestions.
@ dragons, although this can’t be done directly at present, there are ways around   this. you could create some armour which increases the players starting max  hp, then  equip this armour to the specific class, this way if the player starts with this class they will start with  that armour and therefore also the increased max hp. As for increasing their actual hp to match their new increased max hp, at present Sable doesn’t do this, but I’m adding it to my list of suggestions. a tempory  work around: you could just set a trigger object  which restores the  parties hp, set it as an auto transition, with no sound and no text, the player wouldn’t even know they have stood on it but it would restore their hp instantly to full. Obviously you would need to set this as a single use trigger so it only fired once. I think if you had the player actually start on that auto trigger it would automatically fire as the player loaded the map for the first time, although I’ve not tried that  myself so would need to check it, but I think it would work hahaha.
@ dungeon Diver, sadly , yes sable will expire on the 31st may 2020 and projects will be lost after that point too. although we intend to release a version of Sable, that is a way off as this is still only in the alpha stage of development. We first want to release our own game title Crimson Eclipse,  which will give us a chance to  put Sable through its paces ourselves, then make any fine tuning and adjustments needed before we release Sable.  the reason projects will be lost past the 31st may is that again since Sable is still only in  the Alpha stage of development there are likely to be additions and amendments made to the code which are likely to prevent older projects working with the new code, we ‘already seen some great suggestions come in from the community, , but some of these ideas and suggestions would mean changes to the current code structure in places which would again in turn break previously created maps. If you did want some extra time with Sable, we are running a competition  where people can upload a recording of their project, the person whose project receives the most votes from the public will be offered a place on our private testing team, the private testers will have a couple of weeks extra access to sable whilst I fix all the bugs which have been reported, so it means the winner would receive a couple of extra weeks access to sable. as for stats, we would like to add more customisation options here down the line, we don’t have exact plans I can share just yet, but at present these are just hard coded in for the purpose of alpha testing, but again this is one of those areas we would like to offer further customisation options down the line. the link to the topic about the competition is below by the way:

https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/3451 … challenge/
Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-21 02:38:36 (edited by Dragons 2020-05-21 03:00:02)

Hey Paul!

Thank you for answering my question! I create the armour for the HP for all classes and it's work. Also my other questions is, "When I encounter the enemies I didn't hear any battle music." Maybe I miss something here. The second question, "I add healing potions for the player to start out with five in their inventory just for testing. But when I go to play game. I didn't see any items in their inventory. Even when I pick-up the healing potions still not show up in their inventory.

Thanks!!

Hearthstone Tag ID: RobotWizard#1265216

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 02:49:35 (edited by threeblacknoises 2020-05-21 02:53:07)

Hay Paul, I've looked everywhere in Sable for this, but I might have missed it.
Is there a way to change the unarmed sound for attacking party members?
I've gotten around it with a weapon for now, but I just wondered if I'm missing an option somewhere.
Also, I'm really glad the types can be set by the creater.
That'll make my job easier.
Is there a way; other than weapons and equipment; to add weeknesses to party members?
I see the option under classes for those things, but Sable tells me that the character in question doesn't have any.
The main character of my little project has no weeknesses. I'm just wondering for, the future.
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 04:14:19

I just started  my project... hope time wont pass quickly...

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 04:15:00

sorry for double but, guys, it also accepts .ogg files so if wave are too big ya can use .ogg

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-21 04:36:42

Oh yes! I forgot about that!

Thank you for reminding me Meatbag!

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 09:44:44

Morning everyone,

@Dragons, pleased the armour suggestion worked for you. As for the battle music, this is a bug, I fixed this in a recent update, if you head to our download link, redownload Sable, the only file you’ll actually need is the  application .exe file, simply replace your old application file with this new one which should show as version 1.8.3 which will fix the battle music  problem you are having. Also the battle music is really loud, if you replace the battle music track in the battle folder in the sounds folder with the one from the new version of sable it will be a lot quieter. Just be careful  when updating not to delete anything other than the .exe file, if you delete your projects folder your project won’t work. If you have any questions, drop me an email. As for inventory items  that’s odd, when you are adding them to the player inventory are you going to the edit menu (alt and e), selecting items, then selecting the item you want, then the bottom option should be add item to the players starting inventory, is that how you are adding the items? If it is, give it a try with the new version of sable and see if it works as it seems to be working my end.
@threeblacknoises, firstly I have to apologise,  even though I asked about your name the other day, I realised for some reason on this  new topic I’ve been writing threeblindnoises rather than threeblacknoises,, I knew it was the latter, I think my brains just a little fried at the moment with all the posts, emails etc  smile so sorry for getting it wrong. As for your question, yes you can change the party unarmed combat sounds, simply head into the sounds folder, find the folder called player, in here you have untrained humanoid  and martial arts trained, the latter is for the  monk, all other players use the other one. simply remove the current sound files and add your own, remember these are sound sets too, so you  can add as many sounds in each folder as you like. I’ve seen people swap these out for things like dog attacking sounds to make it seem like they have a dog in their party, they’d obviously changed the sounds in the player  sounds folder for hit and miss sounds as well so they sounded like a dog too. pleased the resilience thing works well for you, I wanted to try and give the creator as much control as possible, which is  where I would like to be in future with other things in sable which are a little more ridgid at present. As for vulnerabilities, another way you can do this other than weapons or armour is with passive abilities, you could  set say a level 1 passive ability  which increases the players vulnerability to say fire, since it is level 1 which is what the player starts with they will automatically start with that vulnerability.
@meat bag, thanks for letting everyone know about the OGG files, I forgot to mention that in my reply yesterday. pleased to hear you have started on your project, hope you do get enough time to complete it, also hope you manage to make a recording, I’m really hoping I get to see some of the projects people have been creating.

Paul Lemm

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 11:27:25

Hi Lemm,
I have 1 idea and some bugs, how i was found.
My idea, add the encounter down like item, who will prevent enemies from battling.
Bug, small miss spel, armour,=armor.
Maybe I helped.

ice, fire, water, thunder.

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 15:39:46

Armour is the UK spelling. It's not a misspell.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 16:19:04

so what does the Z key do?

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 16:57:36

Basically the Z key will bring up an edit field that will display the last bit of info you got from Sable such as player stats and the like so you can coppy it to the clipboard for pasting into your notes or whatever.
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 18:15:56

so how to asign in annimy a attack sound, a sound which will play when it attacks me

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 19:36:04

nvm I got it, but 1 more question and I wont leave, I dont want to start out with 4 party members, I only want 1, I set it like that but entering debug mode gives me 4...

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 20:21:17 (edited by omer 2020-05-21 20:21:44)

meatbag, please read the readme
debug gives that for testing purpouses

2020-05-21 20:30:12

I read the readme... but found nothing that says in debug mode the party starting sise wont matter

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 20:35:43

ok when I try to load it in play game mode...

Call stack size: 4

Function: void play_indoor_music(bool = false)

Function: bool main_menu_result(string)

Function: void front_end(bool)

Function: void main()

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 20:37:02

That only works in play mode. I do seem to recall it mentioning that you'd start with four party members in debug mode.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 22:05:42 (edited by threeblacknoises 2020-05-21 22:09:11)

Meatbag, load your project and it's starting map, reset it as your starting map and the player's start position on said map, and the problem will be fixed.
Paul, Sorry for all the annoying questions, but is it possible to set an attack that does fixed damage per hit?
Can I set an attack to never miss its target?
Also, if I set an attack to deal damage according to player level, how does that then translate to an enemy that; as far as I understand it; has no level?
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-21 23:56:18

meatbag, if you still havent fixed your save, you might ant to send it to [email protected]
they were trying to track down that issue last time i heard it

2020-05-22 05:11:34

Crap! Only 10 days left. Bleh!

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 10:59:27

Morning everyone,

so I have a day to myself , my plan is to busily work away on bug fixes, to see if I can clear some of the ones which have been reported. I might be a little quiet on  here today though, as want to avoid getting distracted by emails and posts where possible. If anyone has anything urgent though, just drop me an email at [email protected], which I’m more likely to see come in today for anything urgent. Hopefully  all going well I’ll be able to put out an update tomorrow. I’ll answer  the questions which have come in below  though before I start my day of bug fixing:
@Pates, sorry I’m not 100% sure I’m following your suggestion, do you mean an item which  the player could hold/ wear like armour  or a weapon or something similar which would prevent battle encounters?
@meat bag, how you set an enemy attack sound would be in the enemy creation or editing tool there is the option to add an unarmed sound set, these are the sounds which will play if the enemy attacks you and they are not holding a weapon. Obviously if they are holding a weapon it will use the weapons attacking sound set instead. regarding your crash report, I’m fixing this today, if you follow the instructions given by threeblacknoises in post 393  though this will sort your problem for now.
@threeblacknoises, in answer to your questions:
-yes you can set an attack to do a set amount of damage. There’s a handy trick for this. when you set the damage dice , it first asks you for amount of dice , set this to the amount of damage you want the weapon to do, then when it asks for how many sides just  set this to 1. In this way it will always do the amount of damage you specified as the amount of dice. As two totally random examples , 14 d 1 is always 14, 63d 1 is always 63. Hope that makes sense, I use that technique quite a lot in my own test maps.
-as for your question about setting an attack to never miss, there isn’t a specific option for this, but there might  be ways round this. leave this with me and I’ll have a play around with some stats and see if its possible, I’m almost sure there would be ways of doing this within the current built of Sable, but I’m only on my first cup of tea of the morning, so I’ll leave thinking about stats until later in the day  smile and get back to you on this one
-regarding damage per level, on a party member if you use this option the amount of dice  used in calculating damage uses the players level  for the amount of dice used. As an example if you find a sword which is set to use damage per level and it has been set to 6 sides. If the player finds this when they are level 1 it would do 1d 6 of damage, if the player still has this sword when their experience has levelled them up to level 5 the sword would then  do 5d 6  damage. So these can be super powerful at later levels. Regarding enemies using these weapons, this is the only point at present in Sable where an enemies level is used, when you are creating the enemy it asks you to set the enemies level, I think it may also say here that this is only used when calculating damage where damage per level is being used. So you could for example create say a ring wraith set its level to 100, if they then used the sword we mentioned earlier  when they used  the sword it would do 100 d 6 damage, ouch smile
@ ömer, thanks for your comments about us looking for examples of the crash error. Diego  had this problem a few days ago on here and kindly sent me his project file, with that I managed to track down the issue and have put a fix in place now to prevent that happening again, so when I get the new update out tomorrow that fix will be in there, so people won’t come across this annoying bug any longer.
@ dragons, I’ve heard a few people are attempting to make a time machine before the 31st may, so they can travel  back three weeks and have the time all over again, not sure how work on that project is going, but I understand they are having difficulties with the ‘flux capacitor’ (Dam, that’s showing my age ,I’m really hoping it’s not only me that gets that back to the future reference  hahaha) on a serious note though, i hope you are still enjoying playing around with Sable

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 12:11:07

hey paul,
you mind expalining that bug's cause if you can
i tryed like 15 or so minutes to make that bug appear yesturday but i failed in a way epicly
glad  you found the issue though

2020-05-22 13:48:25

Hi,

Yeah, I know, only a couple of hours have gone and I’ve already broken my own rule for looking at the forum hahaha. On a plus side bug fixing is going well, so I thought I deserved a  cup of tea and a well-deserved break from looking at code smile
@ Omer, huge thanks for trying to recreate the bug for me. What was causing the bug was, if you loaded up your project, then went into debug mode, then whilst in debug mode went through a door which led to a completely different map, the bug happens at this point and ever so slightly renames the saved starting map  name. if after this you then then exit debug mode  then whilst in creator mode save your map it saves it with the new amended and slightly incorrect starting map name, therefore when you go to play game mode, sable looks for the starting map, but due to the slight change in name can’t find it and you would receive the error message. this was  really tricky to track down, since you have to do so many things to make the bug happen, which is why only a few people have reported it I think, it was definitely easier once I had a project file to work with  that had the bug, since I could identify where the problem was happening, I could then also see the slightly incorrect starting map name, see why it was wrong , which gave me a point to start looking for where that could have happened in the code. Actually Omer, I’ve just been working on a couple of bugs you reported, I fixed your sound bite bug a minute ago and also fixed your sized transition  renaming issue  earlier too.

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios

Thumbs up

2020-05-22 14:51:18

oh, i'm ashamed of myself then for not findign taht one as well :d

2020-05-22 14:55:11

Glad to hear bug fixing is going well. Haven't played around with Sable much myself in the last day or so. Guess I better get back into it while I can LOL. I probably won't be entering the competition because of my lack of good recording equipment so I won't be able to enjoy the extra time.

Thumbs up