2020-05-28 07:28:37

Sable doesn't really allow that, but if you make a file that only contains music and adjust it's volume to about 40 percent of your field music, then you can assign it as an audio clip for your intro.
Once you do that Sable will ask for any text that should be spoken.
Once that's entered Sable will ask if you want the audio clip to play while text is being read or not.
See my suggestion above as to how this should be improved in the final release of Sable.
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-28 07:41:11

hello Paul,
the randomness thing can be fixed using the magical thing so called sound.
you can do something like, a mixed sound of a dragon and a wolve in 1 seperat band so bats wont spawn
its a bit clunky to go that root but its the easyest to add
1 big suggestion though is to clone objects. so like if you have a building, and you want to coppy it over to an other map, you currontly have to buildthe same object again. you can simply coppy it, and drop it at a coordinate. this can be applyed for people, enemies and other such kind
it should be in the featurelist of the full buildin my apinion

2020-05-28 07:44:25

is it possable to build rooms inside a building?

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

Thumbs up

2020-05-28 09:37:13

Hello,
For battle cries, look at manamon 2, This is good example for battle cries.

ice, fire, water, thunder.

Thumbs up

2020-05-28 10:14:21

453, you can surtonly do that

2020-05-28 11:43:00

Hi, I have an idea, teleporters!

Thumbs up

2020-05-28 12:20:23

I may not be a coder, but from all that I've seen in the past, launching a product in one language and then trying to improve things after the fact by converting it to another one usually goes badly for everyone involved and results in allot of wasted time and effort for the developer.
The limitations of BGT also do not bode well for the chances of many of the most asked for features being implemented.
And in it's current state, I worry that Sable will mostly be used to make a series of very mechanically similar and relatively simplistic games which could be a detriment to the audio games scene.
I hope I'm wrong though.

Thumbs up

2020-05-28 14:35:43

Hi,

As ever I’ll answer the questions which have come in below:

@threeblacknoises, I see what you mean about intros now, so in Sable I coded it so that the intro clip would play out to the end of the clip  like a cutscene where you would want it to run until the end, so that if you have text you choose to run at the same time it won’t finish when the text does. I could see where this would be handy though if you wanted say a music track whilst text is spoken and then the music to end once the text was. Finished speaking.
@Bryan P, as others have mentioned  Sable allows you to add text with cut scenes an with event triggers, the first option in an event trigger allows you to have a cut scene, select this, then the second option allows you to specify tts text to be spoken which you can set to happen during the cut scene or after. Also when setting map intros there is a similar set of options.
@ömer, the issue with your suggestion, is even in a band with only dragons and wolves if it is a non-fixed band sable picks the enemies at random, so even though there is only two enemies sable could still pick at random  so it was maybe just three wolves or three dragons rather than a mixture. So you wouldn’t be able to assign a specific  sound like that to random bands of enemies
@Flame alchemist, yes you can, just use collision tiles (number 2 on the number row), these are used as wall tiles , so just place them down to create your walls and therefore rooms, toggle walls on (w key) to activate the walls to make them impassable
@pates, although I’ve played manimun 1, I haven’t had any spare time with coding sable to try manamun2, but I do mean to at some stage , when I do I’ll check out enemy cries at the start of battles. As for teleporters,  this can already be done, you could use a standard transition for a teleporter or fast travel points, either would work and could be used to teleport you from one place to another.
@defender,, the plan isn’t to convert Sable, but if it is successful completely re write Sable in a different language, the advantages of this, in fact the advantage of any prototype is that you can build it, find out what people like and what they didn’t like, see what works well and what doesn’t, then when you come to create the second version you have learnt from all the pitfalls  of the prototype and can improve on many elements of the prototype, new requested features can be coded in from the ground up rather than trying to jimmy them into already existing code, which gets messy. In fact I think lots of developers will tell you they actually spend more time trying to fix old code and work in new features to older code that was never designed for it , that in fact come the end it probably would have been quicker, easier and with a better end result to just start the project from scratch. I do appreciate that BGT has limitations, but you said that most of the features requested in this topic couldn’t be done in BGT, although like I said I completely appreciate that BGT has limits, but off the top of my head I can’t think of a single suggestion which has come in that couldn’t be  implemented in the prototype BGT version of Sable if I had the time to put them in. I’m not trying to be difficult, but genuinely interested out of the feature requests which have come in which ones you think couldn’t be done using BGT? I think most features which have come in have been fairly straight forward concepts, which again if I had an infinite amount of time could code in, , but the prototype of Sable would never get complete if I tried to implement everything, so many suggestions will have to wait for a second generation of Sable, which is all dependant on the success of this first prototype version. the more I think about feature request which have come in and look over my notes of requests, out of all the suggestions which have come in, I think the only one out of tons and tons of suggestions  which couldn’t be done is adding reverb to sound directly in Sable, but as mentioned to my reply to that post it would be a some what redundant  feature in an engine like this since you could add sound affects directly in one of the many free sound editing tools available, adding features like sound affects into sable turns it into more of a sound editing tool , which would take huge amounts of time to do, detracting  from adding in game creation features  and would ultimately never offer as many features as a direct sound editing tool could, so would therefore offer a diminishing return on the amount of work required to implement such a feature over the effectiveness of such a feature.

dependant on this first version of Sable. I think out of the suggestions which have come in the only one I couldn’t code is someone wanted me to code in reverb settings into sable which I
Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-28 16:45:14

I don't think they'd make plans to recode Sable in another language down the road if they didn't think they could do it.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

Thumbs up

2020-05-28 18:00:09 (edited by Corona 2020-05-28 18:13:49)

For the band sounds, maybe just giving the option to add enviromental sounds for the enemies? like a hero's call does, for example. Of course in sable the sounds doesn't need to be positioned, but in addition to intro sounds it can make the battles more sound costumiced, and adding something like a timer so all the sounds doesn't play at the same time if there are more than 1 enemy present.
BTW, Intro sounds in manamon 2 works exactly the same as in manamon 1.
Here I want to give a suggestion
Maybe adding conditional trigger objects? they may work like the locked doors for example, that they activate just if the player has a determined object or non phisical key object, but if the player don't have the required object they just don't fire. This may be used to fire cutscenes after a boss batle in a certain place just if the player defeated it al ready, for example, or a cuscene to fire up just if the player has talked with a certain NPC before

Thumbs up

2020-05-28 23:57:00

Hello,
I don't know if it's this way by default or if game developers do this knowingly, but the environmental sounds such as ambiences and stuf shouldn't stop while fighting. We're not leaving the area for a battle and coming back after all.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2020-05-29 00:13:24

@lemm, a suggestion for future development/your consideration.
Id like to see abilities added in that are contingent on the character having a piece of gear/type of ability, stat point. For example, a monk might not be able to do physical damage to a ghost unless he has a special technique that he learned. A warrior might not be able to use the slash ability without wielding a sword/dagger. A mage might not be able to cast the volcanic eruption spell without 25 intelligence.
Just something to consider.

The Certified Altruistic Lexicon is nigh!

Thumbs up

2020-05-29 02:04:54 (edited by defender 2020-05-29 11:22:53)

@Lem
When it comes to features that I don't think could be done/done well in BGT, I bow to your knowledge of the language.  I am mostly going off of what others have suggested, and therefore my opinion isn't worth much on that subject.  I suppose that given this is a turn based, single player game, BgT is probably not going to slow you down much.
I mostly worry about what the limitations would be if you were to add scripting support for the end user, something which allot of people are asking for.

As for the way this is being launched, I see now that this is more of a proof of concept, but it seemed like it was further along than that by the way it was being talked about, the fact it has a name and logo, most features are in place, public testing is under way ETC.
Obviously it's functional enough for the game you'll be making, but I guess from a user facing point of view it's not in it's final form.
I suppose I'm just confused by the game plan here, it seems like the gun was jumped a bit (something which is partly do to the communities unrealistic expectations) and it's not like you can't walk that back to some degree, but experience tells me when the order of priorities is unclear the project often suffers.
I guess what I really want to know most is this.  Will you be charging money for the BGT version of SABLE and then updating it at a later time?  Or are you going to only start charging when it's been rewritten.

Regardless of my misgivings, I just want to thank you again for answering all the questions sent your way in such a thorough manner.  Many small businesses with several people who could be doing PR don't reach the level that you do as an individual, and that's extremely impressive for someone who is also the main developer!

Thumbs up

2020-05-29 09:53:48

Hi,
Lemm, Battle cries system in manamon1 is thesame to manamon2 system.
More ideas from my side, new option in triggers, teleport a player to x, y, z and selected map.
Why player can't jump and run?

Thumbs up

2020-05-29 15:28:03

Because those abilities aren't that common in RPG's. True sometimes you'll have situations where the character will automatically leap gaps but generally you don't find the ability to jump at will in a lot of turn-based RPG's. There may be more, but the only two I've personally seen it in are Final Fantasy Legend III on the original Game Boy and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on the Super Nintendo. Then again both games were developed by the same development team so it's not surprising that there would be similarities.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

Thumbs up

2020-05-30 01:41:30

Hay Paul, or anyone else who might be able to help.
I'm trying to place a river along one side of a forest map, but I can't seem to find an option in sable that'll let me place a panning sound over a wide area.
Was this covered in one of the videos, or is their some undocumented feature I can use to do this?
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-30 05:13:18

Okay sorry for the doublepost, but this bug requires its own post.
So I finally started making and linking maps for my project, when I found this.
Basically I had three maps that I'd finished and went to test them out.
I'd left my position on the second map on the transition to the third map when saving it.
When I went through the door to the second map, Sable put me on the position I'd last left my character in when saving that map, so she went through it to the third map, but she was stuck inside a wall because the starting posission for the second map was used instead of the starting tile for the third map.

I got around it for now by placing her on the starting tile for the second map and everything worked fine, but this really shouldn't be an issue we have to deal with.
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-30 14:01:18

466, you cant really do that at the moment
your best bet is to place the same sound over and over epr 4 5 steps

2020-05-30 15:24:56

Hi everyone,

sorry for the late replies, just been pretty non stop over the past couple of days. I was invited to do a live stream interview  last night from #BlindGamerGeekOut on his YouTube channel, which was good fun, a big thanks to him inviting me on And giving me a chance to talk about Sable. I’ll answer all the questions which have come in below, since my reply to defender regarding business plans and Sable is ridiculously long (I’ve obviously had far too much caffeine today hahaha) I’ve put his reply at the bottom. The link to the interview video is below if anyone wants to check it out, don’t forget to drop the video a like if you do watch it. link below then answers to questions below that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_36BMGNCgA

@Firence, I actually really like the concept of environmental sounds, which would play at random intervals throughout the battle.
@Burak, it was a conscious decision to remove map ambience sounds from a battle, just as the music changes  and the focus becomes less about exploration and more about the fight, sometimes having ambient sounds  can drown out the battle, or feel out of place,  like if you had some really nice relaxing birds chirping away in a tree right next to you, and suddenly some giant dragon attacks your party having the birds there happily chirping away without a care in the world to the huge twenty foot  dragon doesn’t really fit the battle environment and in real life (if dragons were in real life hahaha) the birds would have long since disappeared once they saw the dragon coming. Would be really interested in everyone else’s thoughts though, would others like to hear the map ambience continue to play when a battle starts, maybe just the ambience track but not panning sounds, what are everyone’s thoughts?
@dungeon diver thanks for the suggestions, they are good ideas. The monk one could already be done. You could set that ghosts were immune to all except one attack type, let’s say necrotic , you then create an ability the monk learns at a certain level which deals necrotic damage, that way when the monk learns that ability they could cause physical damage to ghosts
@pates, teleporting is already possible in Sable, you could use either transitions, sized transitions, fast travel points or the event trigger move player. All of those will give you the ability to transport/teleport a player to a different location on the same map or a different map. Regarding running and jumping, as Bryan P mentioned, this isn’t a very common mechanic in traditional turn based RPGS, occasionally you might want a player to leap over something , but this is fairly  rare. However, With a bit of creative use of sables tools you can create pits to  jump over or swing across. I demonstrate this in one of the most recent videos on our YouTube channel called ‘sable some extra features, part 1 shows how I make it, part two is a play through where you see it in action and the character swings across the pit Indiana jones style with a whip
@threeblacknoises, regarding your river query there isn’t at present a tool to allow you to create a panning sound which stretches over a large area. It’s one of the things on my additions list, I’d like to create something similar to sized transitions , but for panning sounds so you could spread one out over a large area. At present though you would just need to  place panning sounds  at various points in your river, you wouldn’t want to have them all right next to each other since it would probably make your river sound more like wild white water rapids   than a gentle flowing river hahaha. Regarding your bug you mentioned, this shouldn’t be happening. If you load a map directly from the load project or load map it will take you to the last place you were when you saved last on that map, if you enter a map from a door on another map it will automatically take you to wherever you placed the exit to that door. Doors in Sable store the location data of their corresponding door and move you to that location when you move there. Can I ask did you maybe have a door in the place you were moved to , but maybe you had deleted the exit to the door? If not if you can email me your project I could take a look
@defender,  thanks for your kind words, I’ve worked in  the customer service industry for the past twenty years plus run my own recruitment business which   is an industry very customer focused.  I believe customer service should be at the heart of  any business, the product is always for the customer and its all of you which will be using either our games or engine, so each and everyone’s opinions, thoughts and suggestions are all hugely appreciated and that’s why I take the time to ensure (even if it takes  me a while sometimes hahaha) to answer each and every query which comes in, or ensure each and every issue someone is having is resolved. I’ve even taken the time to skipe call a couple of individuals who were having issues with Sable and walk them through to get them all set up and going. So I really do appreciate your kind words and that people are happy with my style and level of communication  so far, hopefully people have found it a great customer experience so far.  As for your questions regarding Sable, I think you are right there is a little confusion over Sable, I think this is because we haven’t given release dates  or pricing strategies for Sable, I also  think the talk of Sable being a prototype or proof of concept has also added confusion, which is why I often don’t mention that fact. Hopefully I can take this opportunity to explain the plan for Sable and our games going forward, to give people a better understanding of our road map. The current version of Sable is only in the alpha stage of development, my plan is to spend all of next month fixing bugs which have come in, looking at suggestions and adding  the last couple of features to make Sable ready for our first game title. our private testing team will continue working alongside us next month, testing any bug fixes or new additions/changes which are made. our plan is to create our first game title Crimson Eclipse using this current version of Sable, this gives us a chance to fully show case what sable is capable of and allows us to road test Sable and make fine tuning adjustments  where necessary. Crimson eclipse will be a paid game, although there is no release date or official pricing set out for this yet. once the Sable alpha testing is complete we can shift our focus more onto crimson eclipse. once we have more details regarding Crimson Eclipse the game design team will be sure to share that information, you can always follow us on social media to stay up to date on news and updates.  Once crimson eclipse has been released  and we have made any necessary adjustments and fine tuning to this current version of sable we will release a beta of Sable for people to test. all going well we  will then release a full version of Sable (the current BGT version). We don’t have a release date for this yet, regarding pricing strategies for Sable, we have various business model ideas in place, but which one we use is really all dependant on Sables success up until  that point, there may be a small charge or we might go the route of charging only if people want to release a game, again at this stage it’s just too early to say and we don’t want to tie ourselves down  and commit to anything regarding pricing when we are still only in Alpha and before we’ve even road tested sable with Crimson Eclipse. Once Sable is in its beta phase we will be in a better place to make concrete decisions regarding pricing strategies. Regarding a second version of Sable being written in a new language this is really all dependant on the success of this first prototype, obviously if people don’t like it or it’s not popular then we wouldn’t re write it in a new language , since if there is no demand then we obviously wouldn’t create a second version . As a developer, I’d love to take all the ideas and suggestions and build a bigger and better sable, but again that all depends on whether there is enough demand for such a tool, it’s a big project that will take a lot of time and Ebon Sky Studios has four members so it has to be viable too. By releasing the current version of Sable as a full version it will give us an indication  as to how popular a set of tools like this is, plus it means whilst we are busy working away on a second  version people can be making their own games using the prototype. For a prototype which is only in alpha I would like to think it is well enough built that people can have fun with and make their own games. I think the key thing with Sable or any set of developer tools, how unique a game can be comes down to how creative individuals can be with the current tools built into sable, out of the box thinking is required to create interesting mechanics and unique feeling games and stories. in just under three weeks I’ve seen people create some incredible projects which really use Sables tools well, if they can do this in under three weeks I’d love to see what they could do if given more time to work on Sable and their projects. I think the audio games community has a wealth of talented individuals, hopefully Sable gives these individuals the tools for the first time ever a chance to turn their creativity into games that we can all play and enjoy. hopefully that clears up any confusion over Sable and its release plans, sorry for the ridiculously long post for anyone still reading at this point that hasn’t fallen asleep due to my innate waffling  smile

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-30 15:53:17 (edited by threeblacknoises 2020-05-30 16:54:01)

Hay Paul, I just finished placing my river, and while I was at it I did a little test and was able to reproduce the bug by saving my map while standing on the transition to the third map.
I went into play game mode and all went well until I went to the second map and the same bug happened.
After resetting my position on the second map and saving it everything works as expected.
Maybe it's something to do with how Sable stores map positions in memory?
Hold on, I'm conducting another test, will update this post with results.
Edit: I tried moving to the cave transition, saving the map, then exiting and reopening Sable to see if it was some kind of memory pointer issue, but the bug still exists.
Now, I did have to remove the initial entrence to the map that the door created because their were a few problems related to not being able to lock said door so the player couldn't go back to the first map without finishing the area's objective.
That might be the issue, so the easiest way to fix this in the future would be to give the creater more options as to how doors/transitions work.
Another workaround would be to allow creaters to specify a starting position on every map, not just the starting map.
This way, no matter how you decide to transport players from map to map, Sable will always know where on each map to place the player character if something goes wrong.
I am going to mess around with doors again to see if I just missed a prompt or something when creating the door.
Sadly, these issues; along with the internet ones; are going to spell doom on submitting anything before the deadline.
Edit: I just went through the door creation system again, and; as I thought; their is no way to set the second door to a locked state so the player can't use it.
It'd also be nice to be able to create doors that don't go anywhere, just so creaters could fill out maps with doors that can't be opened.
Creaters could even lock them, just to fill out places that the player character wouldn't be able to go.
Also, and I have found a workaround for this for now, but the ability to creat collision objects with descriptions and interactable text.
I wanted to create trees in my forest map but couldn't, so I placed wall tiles with signposts on all sides of the wall tile with a space as the name so when the player presses space after bumping into the tile, Sable would tell them that they'd just bumped into a tree.
I then placed a panning sound of a creeking tree on the wall tile, just to complete the illusion.
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-30 18:50:12

I certainly hope both Sable and Crimson Eclipse are successful. I'm really looking forward to converting my novel idea into a game or series of games.

Thumbs up

2020-05-30 19:40:31

Hi,

@threeblacknoises, I’ll answer your questions/points below:
-pleased you got your river panning sounds working
-based on what you have said regarding the door, it will definitely be down to deleting the original exit. When you first place the doors each of them remember the placement location of their corresponding door, if you delete one the old door will still remember the old location of the previous door and take you there everytime still. Although it’s a pain, in the alpha build of Sable there are still some manual requirements, deleting doors is one of those areas, where if you delete one door you need to manually delete its corresponding door.
-in your current project the easiest thing would be to just delete the current door that leads to the middle of a wall, replace it with a new door that leads to the correct location.
-regarding locking the second door, although this isn’t in the initial door creation tool (again, this is on my list of things to add), you can manually lock the second door, if you stand on the second door, go to the object editor (shift and o) here you can choose to change the locked state of just the second door .
-regarding your tree idea, did you know you could label collision tiles? When you go to select the collision tile type if you hold down shift when you select the tile type it will ask if you want to give the collision tile a label, you could choose to name it tree, then when the player walks into the tree it will automatically say  tree. I often use this for creating furniture in buildings, like tables, bars etc. Although I’m impressed with your creative thinking on how you got round this without using labels.
@Bryan P, thanks for the positive comments, its really great to see so many people enjoying Sable and seeing the potential an engine like this could offer.

Paul Lemm

Thumbs up

2020-05-30 21:18:44 (edited by threeblacknoises 2020-05-30 21:50:44)

Hay Paul, no I didn't know about the lable tool.
That'll make adding trees much easier!
As for your second lock idea, I already tried it, and Sable told me that I'd have to unlock the first door if I change the locked state.
I'll look into that system again; just to be sure.
Edit; I tried your idea, and all it did was unlock both sides of the door.
I even locked the second part of the door, added lock text and sound, and it still just takes me back to the first map without acting like either side is locked.
I feel like I just had enough time to learn the engine, but not enough to show what I can do with it.
Oh well, internet issues takeing off a week of my time…
Raaaaaaah!
PS; Paul, I know you told me to e-mail you if the internet issues persisted, but they got fixed? right as you sent me that invitation.
The sad thing is we never figured out what the issue was, as the problem seemed to vanish into thin air right as we called the internet company to have them scope things out.
I just felt that it'd be wrong of me to take advantage of someone's kindness, just because I had some bad luck, and it kind of felt like lying as the issues that prompted said act of kindness no longer existed.
My mistake?
Later!

Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-30 22:50:05

Paul, I hope you'll pardon my candor here, but I need to say that the door and size transitions should be combined into one item, as they essentially serve the same purpose.
This would have many benefits to project creators.
First, any transition could be sized to the creator's wishes.
Second, it'd probably reduce code and menu clutter with only one item being needed.
Third, the destination of any transition could be changed easier, as a creator wouldn't need a fixed item on the other side of a transition, just a set of position coordinates to drop the player at.
This could be changed from the object options menu at any time by going through the same prompts the creator used to first set a transition's destination, IE, taking the creator to the map and asking them to place the exit with enter.
A non-destination transition could be set as well, by simply pressing escape when asked for a map name.
This way, a project creator could design maps without first needing to create all destination maps beforehand.
Later, when a destination is needed, a creator could simply make the map and link to it.
This could also be a way to allow creators to flesh out a game world with doors the player wouldn't be able to enter, or transitions that don't need any kind of exit point, but simply do something like alter encounter rate, change music etcetera.
This brings me to my next proposal.
The lock/unlock requirements for transitions should be moved into the event trigger system.
This would:
1. Allow creators to more easily set and amend lock conditions without changing other transition properties.
2. Allow creators to lock off parts of maps until a quest is completed.
So you could have a sized transition of a line of tiles that would check if the player had killed a monster or found an item before letting them move into an area of a map.
This could have major implications for scenario creation, as well as level balancing.
Well, I'll shut up now, before I dig myself into a huge hole...
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-31 01:12:06

yeah in addition to hat, wish we can add sized panning objects
that can be cool