2020-01-10 19:06:10

I just listened through the first 2 parts of playthrough. This is absolutely amazing what you have achieved with the translation. Keep up the good work: i'm really excited to play the game when the translation is released.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2020-02-01 16:33:25

Hi guys. I apologize for not giving updates in quite a while, but I’ve been very ill the last couple of weeks and actually ended up in the hospital at one point. I went into a bit more detail in the monthly chat topic, but I am unfortunately not really able to work on the project right now. I simply don’t have the energy and the mind power to work on it at the moment. It will get done, but unless there’s somebody in the folder that has enough time to take over where I left off, work on the project is going to remain stagnant for a while until I get better. I apologize for the extended time, and rest assured that the project will be finished.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2020-02-01 16:50:05

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

2020-02-01 18:24:05

I wish you as it said, a speddy recovery from that illness. I'm waiting for the translation to take effect. Take effect, take effect, take effect, dooba doo.

73 Wj3u

2020-02-22 11:37:42 (edited by threeblacknoises 2020-02-22 11:45:52)

Is their any update on the status of this project?
I'm asking because the folder just disappeared from my dropbox.
Edit; Never mind, it's their.
For some reason their are two dropbox folders on my pc, and I wasn't checking the up-to-date one. Oops!
Later!

2020-02-23 21:12:23

well, If I can be of any assistance my email is mgiles2391 @ gmail.com

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2020-03-17 21:22:15

Sorry to bring this back but is there any news on this translation?

2020-03-17 21:24:58

I am still working on it, but a lot has gone on recently so progress is slow.

TWITCH

2020-03-17 21:47:55

Take all the time you need

2020-08-02 05:45:41

Is this translation still being worked on?

2020-08-02 08:02:19

yes it is but the progress is slow.

2021-04-13 01:31:33

Alright guys. Here is a much needed update.
So... The short version of this post? Progress is being made, but I'm struggling.
The long version? We have gotten all the way to the epilog of the story and have finished part of it. Once that is completed, we just need to translate the extra content, the extra dungeon which is also partially finished already, and the after story. After that, we need to do some extra polishing work to make sure everything looks clean and professional. One of the things I've started doing is working on the character dialogs. When I was writing there dialog, I ended up making them sound like robots because I used professional talk the entire time. I'm trying to go back through the file and give the characters some much needed personality and depth, and so far I'd say it's going pretty well. All in all, I'd say the level of progress on this project is astounding.
However... I am suffering from burn out. Whether or not it's due to work/college/school or because I have not done a good job of communicating with my fellow teammates, I have been going at this mostly alone. I am not, in any way, trying to discredit my team. They have done an absolutely amazing job so far, and I completely understand that they have busy lives. If anything, the blame rests entirely on my shoulders. When I started out, I never worked on a group project that was this big in my entire life. As such, not only was I just poking around to find where I was supposed to go, but my communication with my team could have been so much better. I recently made a Discord server in the hopes of possibly improving communication between me and my fellow teammates, but at this point I'd say I was too late.
I guess What I am saying is that I believe I need additional help with the project. What ends up happening is I work as hard as I can for as long as a month, then I get burned out and have to take a few months off. We've had periods of time go by where nothing has happened. I fully intend to finish this project, and considering how far this has come along I would be doing all of you a disservice if I didn't; but I am no longer able to go at this alone. I need to get more people into the folder if I can. If anyone can join and help me out, I'd really appreciate it. As people might know, the Dropbox folder has always been open to new participants. As a reminder, if you still want to join and help out with the project, email me with the email address you want me to add to the folder. My email is garrettsworld2000 "at" gmail "dot" com, (replace "at" and "dot" with @ and .).
To my teammates. Once again, I apologize for my inactivity. If I had done my part to bring us all together, and if I worked constantly on this project, we probably would have been finished about 3-4 months after we started. If any of you feel like this project is too much for you or if you no longer have time to work on it, please don't be afraid to let me know. The last thing I want is for people to feel pressured to do this. I hope you all understand where I'm coming from.
That's it for the updates guys. Have a good day/night.

TWITCH

2021-04-13 02:30:14

Accountability is good. It's sad to hear tha tyou've been struggling, but perfectly understandable, under the circumstances. This is a solid next step for you, in the sense that you're reaching out for help.
I cannot help with translation, but I may be able to help with voicing...which is to say, I know how to give people's dialogue a little extra spice. I'm a natural creative writer, and have been for over two and a half decades.
What it sounds like you're struggling with is that all characters sound sort of the same. I believe I can help with that. As an example, consider the following completely fictitious example.

Here's a short bit of dialogue between two fictional characters. The first version is wooden and lacks depth. The second is more nuanced, without changing the information being delivered.

Version 1
Casandra: You have arrived. I am surprised that you made it this far.
Holly: If you thought your tricks and traps would stop me, you were mistaken.
Casandra: Your tenacity is commendable, Holly, but you are too late.
Holly: What?
Casandra: I have assembled the doomsday device. I merely have to press this button, and the timer on the bomb beneath the cathedral will start. You will never reach it in time.
Holly: But why? Why would you do this?
Casandra: You have no idea what I have been through at the hands of the Order of Light, Holly. You cannot possibly understand.
Holly: Whatever horrors you have been through, it cannot justify what you are about to do.
Casandra: There is no sense in arguing. My mind is made up.
Holly: Then I have no choice.

Version 2
Casandra: Ah, you've arrived. You surprise me. I didn't expect you to get this far.
Holly: You thought your tricks and traps would stop me? I'll never give up!
Casandra: My, my, such tenacity! Such exuberance! Such youthful arrogance! I admire all of those things. But you're too late.
Holly: What? No!
Casandra: My doomsday device is finished at last! You see this button here? All I have to do is press it, and the bomb planted in the cellar of the cathedral starts ticking down. You'll never reach it in time.
Holly: But why, Casandra? How could you? After everything?
Casandra: Foolish girl! You can't possibly understand the pain I've been forced to endure at the hands of the so-called Order of Light. Well, that ends now.
Holly: You can't possibly justify this, no matter what you've been through, Casandra.
Casandra: Enough talk, child. You won't change my mind with words.
Holly: Then you leave me with no choice. If I have to sacrifice myself to stop you, then so help me, I will.

Now, obviously there's a lot of liberty being taken here, and I'd certainly be much gentler with someone else's already established work, but I'm definitely up to the task.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-04-13 02:43:10

Hey Jayde. If you're up to the task, I'd be happy to let you work on their personalities. I've seen your entire Manamon 2 script and loved every bit of it. If you could work on the depth, that would help me a lot because I'd be able to focus more on furthering the story. Feel free to email me and I can add you in.

TWITCH

2021-04-13 03:50:35

Would definitely be awesome to have Jade on board. Voicing is definitely a big part of these characters, as they all have different speaking styles. Unfortunately, much of it is lost when using Google translate without knowledge of Japanese as their personalities come through very clearly and distinctly there. But this will still be a great help!

Discord: clemchowder633

2021-04-13 04:04:22

I wasn't sure, since I know a lot of character is lost in translation, and while I've played the game and think I generally understand characterization, I don't want to twist the work of Galaxy Laboratory too far, you know?

2021-04-13 04:08:46

Na, I get you. I guess the best way is to hear their voices and guess how they would talk if they were speaking English. It's pretty hard, but all of us have agreed to do the best we can with what we've got. We've all accepted that we probably won't get things 100% correct on the mark. I know a little bit of Japanese, but not nearly enough to be useful without a translator.

TWITCH

2021-04-13 04:49:02 (edited by assault_freak 2021-04-13 04:50:40)

If anyone wants to verify who talks how, I'm still involved with the project. I'm stil part of the folder, and I'd be happy to help lend a hand there. But given that, as discussed elsewhere, I'm the only person working on Planet Saga because I am doing it without the help of google translate as more the a way to check vocab, I prefer to put most of my energy there. but I'm still willing to help where I may. It's impossible at this point to get it 100% since we'd have to rewrite everything, and we don't want to ruin all the great progress that's already been made. But Japanese is a very nuanced language and without knowledge of it, translators probably won't do much to clarify regarding who talks in what way.

2021-04-13 04:53:19

Okay. It sounds like what you're saying, then, is that this is not only a translation, but also something of a localization. This means that some original meaning will be lost, but some other meaning will be adapted toward an English-speaking audience, at least in a gentler sense.
Okay, I can handle that.
I will send you an email momentarily, DanGero. Do you have a hard cutoff, time-wise? I'm not gonna drag my heels on this, but after getting through the manamon 2 script not once but almost twice (I accidentally deleted my work the first time and forgot to back it up), that...was a lot. Admittedly, this will be a different and, I daresay an easier job.

2021-04-13 04:57:09

A cut off? You mean for how long we accept new members? No, there's no cut off date for that, you can join whenever. If not that, do you think you could clarify?

TWITCH

2021-04-13 06:54:06

@94, technically whenever a game is translated it's being localized, because you have to rewrite idioms and so forth, replace Japanese ones with English ones, etc. So there's really no such thing as just a straight up game translation, though I think some people would probably argue that. What I meant wasn't so much that as the fact that characters' distinct speaking styles are much more obvious in Japanese because of the way Japanese works as a language, so it's easier to parse out a character's personality. but because most of that gets lost because a computer translator is only able to translate words and not nuances, it'll be more of a challenge because that's where the currently available English text is based. smile

2021-04-13 07:14:12

hey everyone.
first of all, i want to say, dan_gero, i'm very happy that you are doing this.
i've loved the game from the moment i started it, and i was very sad that it didn't have a translation.
thankyou very much for doing this.
i also want to help with the project.
unfortunately, i don't know japanese, but i have played this game a lot and understand almost all of it.
i also understand all the characters, so i think i will be able to help give them depth.
is this OK?

2021-04-13 07:17:34 (edited by Dan Gero 2021-04-13 07:20:28)

The thing is, I think if I had written the dialog today, I would have probably done better because I think I've improved on character development since 2 years ago. Sure, I would have still needed someone to proofread it and go over my errors, but for the most part we probably wouldn't have such a hard time unprofessionalizing my dialogue. big_smile Oh well; can't dwell on the what ifs, am I right?
Edit: Sure, you can help. Just send me an email and I can add you in. It'll be great to have a hand with adding to the story. I think nows about the time I really start in forcing my rule on letting people know when we're getting ready to edit and when though. big_smile

TWITCH

2021-04-13 07:57:32

I take it we're just editing the raw .dat file, correct? Just want to be sure before I start tinkering.

2021-04-13 08:36:30

Yeah, just the raw dat file is editable.

TWITCH