2019-12-23 05:11:36 (edited by Dan Gero 2021-04-13 09:23:54)

For those of you who don't know, Shadow Line is a medieval action JRPG set in the world of Careshia, and this world is under attack by evil forces. You're job is to get to the bottom of it. I know, sounds really cheesy, but I promise you it's a lot more involved than that. Each character in the game is very well-developed including the enemies, and there are tuns of things to unlock both during and after the story. The link above will take you to the topic on the New Releases room about the game.
I've been playing this game on and off for years now, and I love it so much that I decided to take it upon myself to attempt to translate the hole game, from beginning to end. I can't promise I'll get all the way through it, because as I said before, there's enough extra content in the game to keep you busy likely for a few months. Nevertheless, I'm going to try my absolute best to get as far as I possibly can.
I don't want to just leave you guys holding your breath, hoping that I'm actually making progress. For this reason, after I feel I've refined the translations enough on a certain section, I'll post a recording for everyone to see the progress I've made. This essentially means that if I can translate the entire game, you'll also be looking forward to a 100 percent play-through, from beginning to end, including the extra dungeons and after story. By posting these recordings, I am inviting you guys to tell me exactly what you think of my translations and how accurate they are, because I am using the JGT NVDA addon to help with the translation. I am also going to the Google Translate website itself and the Bing translator to hear different translations so that I can get a better idea of what a certain text is saying. Inevitably however, there are going to be times where all 3 translation services and my creativity fail me, so I will probably need to be corrected on a few things. You guys are also invited to give me suggestions on how I play the game, but do keep in mind this is primarily focused on the English translation and not so much my style of play.
One more thing before I post the link to the play-through folder. If you have any resources that might help me along, please don't hesitate to post here. For example, I heard a partial play-through from Assault_Freak where he spoke some of the dialogue in English to help people understand the story. This could help me a lot with translating the game as smoothly as possible, so if anyone has access to that recording or anything else that might help me please post it here. It can even be a link to a website to help me learn Japanese if you think that it's designed in a way to make it easier for people like me to learn, albeit I doubt it because I really do have a hard time learning things such as new languages. I don't know if it's just the way Duolingo was made, but it just doesn't help me at all and really only succeeds in confusing the hell out of me.
Finally, the link to the recordings! Please let me know what you guys think, and don't be too harsh! big_smile I know, I only have the tutorial up there right now, but I haven't fixed some of the inconsistencies with the main story yet so I didn't want to upload a recording of a draft. Hope you guys like it!

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2019-12-23 06:25:40

Good on you for tackling the file with all the text in it. Good luck!

Discord: clemchowder633

2019-12-23 06:58:31 (edited by Dan Gero 2019-12-23 07:00:23)

Thanks for the good wishes. I'll do my best. Did the first part of the play-through play for you? For some reason it kept saying private on my end so I'm not sure if anyone's able to play it.

TWITCH

2019-12-23 07:49:20

I've been able to listen to the tutorial. Looks good so far.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-12-23 08:09:13

Thanks Jade. I'll probably continue work on it tomorrow, so you guys should be seeing a much longer  part containing the first section of the story.

TWITCH

2019-12-23 09:20:05

You're welcome. This is more initiative than anyone else has shown, so let's keep it positive! It's impossible to do a truly quality translation without knowing the nuances of the language and how t communicate them into English, but it definitely looks liek you're making the best use of the translation services at your disposal. Keep it up.

2019-12-23 10:22:35

Hi.
Amazing. I've never managed to complete the game, after I got stuck at the swimming area, can't find what I need to make any progress. But I might give it an other try in the future.
Can you actually edit the text file and translate the game into english in this way? I thought the files were incrypted.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-12-23 11:12:49 (edited by Dark 2019-12-23 11:13:54)

I've always heard good things about Shadow rine, but been slightly putoff by the need to rely on constant translations, although in fairness I admit I probably ought to just try it for myself and see.

Still, I'm definitely in favour of this idea and hope it goes well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-23 11:50:17

Nvda and jgt make the translation process an effortless automatic experience long as you are connected to the service so definitely give it a spin.

Best of luck translating the game. I always found the "more than a head to fit Into your eyes" expression, it is rather amusing lol.

2019-12-23 14:15:18 (edited by Naruto 2019-12-23 14:15:57)

this sounds awesome so far. If you don't mind me asking, If you do manage to finish the project, will you share the translation with us as well?

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2019-12-23 16:21:03

I will, but unfortunately not right away. I want to email the developer first and let him know about it, because there are certain translations I've made that aren't actually working. Case in point, the options menu. The main options menu is already translated, but I tried to translate the different categories in there, but they're still in Japanese. This also applies to some of the menu titles such as "What should I do?" or "Do you want to buy it?" I'm also missing a lot of the percent tags for the different values in the game which I will need in order to translate everything.

TWITCH

2019-12-23 16:42:02

that's completely understandable. thanks so much for answering my question, and, as a side note I completely agree with your signature.

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2019-12-23 19:20:05

I just did some testing on my end, and no, the translation file is not encrypted at all!
It's in the system data folder of your shadowrine folder, and it's called something like lang_en.dat.
It's just a simple text file, so open it with notepad and edit it.
It has each line of the Japanese text, and below it is the translated line.
I really hope the translation effort goes well, but if it doesn't; and someone other than myself has the means to coppy each line of the Japanese text into this dat file and add the JGT translated line below it, then we'd at least have a starting point for others to come in and edit it...

Later!

2019-12-23 20:22:11

Yes, the file is open for editing. But if any translation whether solo or colaborative is going to happen, I'd ask you to get permission from the developer to share it, or ask me to do so as I'm in regular contact with them. Thank you. If a group does want to get together and attempt this, I'd be happy to chip in where able.

2019-12-23 20:23:43

Hi:

Good on you for attempting this. Perhaps you might get some unexpected help along the way; this game is crying out for a proper English translation. While JGT gets the job done, there are some painful mistranslations there, so if you can ask some Japanese speakers for assistance and/or find a dedicated Japanese translation service that should help a lot.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2019-12-23 21:00:00

Some assistance would definitely be apreciated if I could get volunteers. We'd have to find a way to make it work, maybe I could upload the translation file to Github and allow pull requests or something like that. Regardless...
Part 2 is now available. In this one, I tackle the Rysen Forest. Check the link in post one if you want to play it. If you don't see part 2 in the folder, it may still be uploading. Below I'll post a couple notes.
Can someone give me pointers for how to go about not getting the tar beat out of me by enemies? There was one point where I was battling a higher experience monster, and he totally went to town on me. Needless to say I died and had to restart from the save circle.
I edited these recordings using jump-cuts and fast-forwarding when there were parts I needed to skip through, such as grinding and backtracking. Which method do you guys like best? I used jump-cuts when I wanted to show off the different story choices or if I fell in a pit and wanted to cut back to where I was, and I used fast-forwarding when I was going back through areas where I've visited before and/or grinding. Do you guys want me to use only jump-cuts, fast-forwarding, keep it the way it is, or don't do much editing at all besides the fades at the beginning and end of the file?
One more note.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
I loved writing the text for when Captain Bat was dying... It's so much fun writing nonsense like ke ke ke keeeeyaaaaa and not having to be serious for a few seconds.

TWITCH

2019-12-23 21:06:07

Some sort of colaborative file sharing would be ideal. Dropbox folder with the file itself, then with a text file for people to leave notes or comments on what they've done or questions if any. This was how the BK 3 translation worked.

2019-12-23 21:11:17

The issue I see with that is, what if multiple people try to edit the translation simultaneously?

TWITCH

2019-12-23 21:44:57

BTW guys, I'd definitely need the developer to give me the green light for this, but if he does and we finish the translation project, I would love to try to take this a step further and translate the voice acting as well. This is something to look into much later though, when my budget is just a little bit better. Still, I'd be happy to try this out.

TWITCH

2019-12-23 22:28:34

The likelyhood of that happening isn't high, and if that's a concern, the group needs to communicate to say who is editing around what time. And I've dropped a message off with the rest of the team... I'll post here again when we have something. But it's not quite waking hours yet, so there'll have to be some waiting.

2019-12-23 22:36:10

Thanks Assault, I appreciate it.

TWITCH

2019-12-24 00:31:38

So help me understand something. Are we seeking actual permission to translate the game? Or are we just generally letting these devs know we're doing it (collective "we" here, as I'm not part of the translation).
Because it seems that having to ask permission in order to make a game easier is just a little bit weird. I can see if you wanted that translation to be official, or wanted to host it somewhere, or wanted it officially recognized, but if all you really want to do is make it easier for non-Japanese-speaking players to play the game without funky translation and such, to my mind that shouldn't require permission, just a heads-up. Something like, "Hey, we're starting to translate your game. If there's anything you want us to do or any way you want to help, please let us know".

This is a game that's plenty of fun, honestly, and even with clunky translation sometimes, it's easy enough to understand the gist of what's happening. Some of the nuances of character dialogue are obviously lost on me, but I followed the story just fine.

As far as difficulty though? Start on easy; trust me on this. If you start on normal at level 1, it's totally doable, but it's considerably harder. I always start on easy, then transfer my attack and defense and stuff over for subsequent playthroughs so the game gets easier.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-12-24 01:08:24

That, I'm not exactly sure about. Assault, could you clarify that for us?

TWITCH

2019-12-24 02:17:38

I apologize if this is off topic because I am no translator just a gamer who appreciates this kind of thing.  With that being said, I will gladly pay for a full anything translation, using TTS or voice actors, does not matter to me.  Purchased the BK3 translation and loved it!  I assume a translation file would be able to be copied in to the game folder or loaded somehow?
You'll definitely have my money, $5 or $40, just say the word.
Thanks for all the work being put in to something like this because I know it takes a heck of a lot.

2019-12-24 04:07:49 (edited by assault_freak 2019-12-24 04:09:44)

A combination of both. Letting people know that it's going to happen, and asking permission to use what, essentially, is part of the game's data and modifying it, which is talked about in the manual. And culturally, it's also simple politness to ask for permission before doing anything with someone else's work, because at a later time, I'm guessing we're going to want it to be packaged with the game or in other words, officially recognized. IT's good manners to ask, especially in Japanese culture. A simple heads up telling someone we are going to do something isn't right to me, but that may also be my cultural upbringing as well. Either way, Dan_jiro, there should be a response email saying yes. If not, take this as an indirect relay of an affirmative.