2019-01-14 21:38:49

I believe that was a thargoid I did in, and no it wasn't easy but it worked.

Oh and love the old battlestar galactica music when you take out a particularly nasty bounty, I'll be humming that all day now big_smile.:D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-14 22:45:22

notice how they hit you with 100% accuracy? That's not kosher. Staying still, not sure how that would help, you have to turn to face them if you want to shoot them down. I've been taking the approach of minding my own business, I'm not starting stuff with people, just trying to grind and make money. But, it doesn't really matter what I'm hauling, how much I'm hauling, or even if I have anything at all in my holds, its all the time. After a 17 sector journey, my hull was at 5%

I had to give up today. I got put in a situation where all the planets and moons were uninhabited, I was running, three sectors in a row had fugitives right off the gate, so I ran myself out of fuel. Neutron stars don't have scoopable fuel, and that was the only star in the system. There was an asteroid field, a moon, a planet, no stations, and a nebula. I had literally no other option. Which brings me to this question, let's say you're in that situation, is it possible to ever reach the next sector using your overdrive? Like, is that a thing you could do if you had to?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-14 22:57:55

that would be cool if you could do that and i think that it should be something that could be done. it might take for ever though. the overdrive seems to jump 400 units of distance at a time. not knowing how many units of distance there are between sectors my guess would be in the hundreds of thousands at least.

2019-01-14 23:33:11

well so far i have been able to jump with the overdrive to a distance of 250000. literally the whole system is behind me. so i wonder if the system is an environment that just goes on and on or whether you really can jump using the overdrive to another sector. oh dear it's going to take ages to fly back again lol.

2019-01-14 23:58:18

Would someone be willing to make an audio demo? I find the game a bit confusing.

2019-01-15 00:17:03

@Darren my working theory is each one of those little pwoink sounds the thing makes when you use the overdrive represents 1000 units.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-15 00:28:27

yeah maybe i'm not overly sure on that one. i remember when i used to play elite 2 which simulated proper space physics in every sense i tried once to reach another system by normal engines. i filled up my entire cargo bay with fuel and just aimed at a star and tried to see what i could do. well i didn't manage to fly to another system but boy did i manage to get the ship to fly at an insane speed.

2019-01-15 00:33:11

I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to take a break for a while Freeman, just write down people's main issues and patch it when your able, no need to fix everything right now.
Sad about the donation thing, but makes sense. I bet you Eric would be fine with that but Firelight maybe not, assuming they ever even noticed...
I would just like to say that I really appreciate the addition of a learn game sounds and command reference, not to mention the sound moddability is a huge plus!
I also think that the ability to make other ships go into hyperspace against their will, and how fueling from stars work are both very neat systems.
Seems like the main issues right now would be how aggressive other ships are even when you aren't doing much wrong, a need for more clarification/expansion in the documentation (for instance the acronyms and shorthand names), some left over unused elements that should be taken out because their confusing, some keys that should need to be held down or a confirm dialog inserted to avoid accidental activation, and some missing sounds that would be nice to have, like collecting crates or different ones for each laser, maybe some category based port background sounds

On a side note, I find it kinda odd how you can use overdrive with no penalty. Maybe if your ship started out with a certain amount of energy, separate from fuel, and moving at a slow speed would barely put a dent in it, medium speed a bit and high speed more so but overdrive would use quite allot rather quickly, and it would regenerate over time? That way you could use shorter sprints but overuse would be impossible, just an idea though...

2019-01-15 00:40:41

Yeah don't burn yourself out dude. Plenty of time to address what it is you want to address.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-15 01:35:49

@OP, I made you a little package, check your Pm's.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-15 06:02:08

Hey, Freeman.

Have you ever thought of adding a updater to the game? Then if there are fixes and features to be added to the game you could do this so that everyone can update the game.

2019-01-15 06:39:22

As regards combat, you don't seem to avoid enemy fire, hence why staying still, blasting and then running a little way to pick up loot works. The problem usually is that fugetives jump in faster than I can kill them which means I tend to have to leave loot behind, even in low danger systems.
While I still think the aggression is a bit serious, its at a point now where I can at least get cash for bounties and shoot up a few ships if I get tired of mining.

As regards stars and fuelling, I discovered something quite interesting, namely you don't have to move at all. Once you hear that ponk ponk sound, your ship is automatically getting refuelled, so you might as well just sit still and wait then turn straight  and fly out again.

I would love to do an audio demo, but the problem is headphones are %100 necessary and I don't have a way of recording on headphones, but I can see about putting together a textual guide when I've tried more of the game.

As regards donations, its possibly something you could sort out with Eric, heck he's done an awesome job too and I'd be more than happy  he also got some of what I donated.
as regards technologies, since the game is freeware and any donations would be on a purely voluntary business, I don't really see that it's there affair, some other of our developers have already used a donation model  has been fine and as I said I'll be more than happy to contribute, as I think would others.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-15 07:16:18

It is a very good and complex game.

2019-01-15 07:33:57

I'm like, beyond frustrated at the moment, everything I do leads to me getting killed. I can't avoid confrontation, literally in every sector, there's enemies now. also, in a quiet system I'd been flying in with a neutron star, which doesn't provide fuel, I thought I was stuck. I was annoyed because I'd done a lot and was headed back when I had to jump out due to enemies. I finally found a free port station, so I wen went there, but there was a fugitive in the atmosphere who killed me since my hull was at 10%. The combat is way too crazy right now.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-15 08:04:07 (edited by Tablen 2019-01-15 08:05:15)

I downloaded this game yesterday but I can't figure it out. I read the guides and started with a worm from the cortez faction but I couldn't see how to begin trade/how to make money. So I launched and encountered a lot of beeping noises right from the start which I didn't know how to interpret. I think this might be a nice game because I usually like space games, but the amount of beeps and what to do is confusing me big time. I might have to have an audio demo to help me with this.
I think it could be a good game, and especially now that I've read this whole thread I can understand more, but I'm still confused by the sounds of this game.
Would it be possible to run this through wine on my mac, since it does support SAPI5?

To know, and not to do, is not to know.

2019-01-15 08:13:58

I like the game but can you also do a textual guide for the missions as well?
the game is confusing but I did figure out how to land.
I also don't know where the ask for advice option is.
I only see the ask for directions option in one of the freeports.
I also don't know how to do mining.
I can just fly around and collect items or just keep refueling.
also, how can I earn more credits?

2019-01-15 08:26:19

who are firelight anyway? i ask because i see that they are credited but not sure who they are. yes a truly magnificent game. freeman you really have delivered something special here. long may you keep developing it.

2019-01-15 08:42:33

As far as mining goes, first you need a mining laser, this doesn't come with the worm by default that you start with so you need to buy one, or start with another ship.
Second ask for directions to the local asteroid field, it'll likely be one or two jumps away.

When you have the directions and your auto pilot is on, you'll hear your ship turning and be told when to jump do this with the p key.

When the asteroid field is ahead, fly into it and look for asteroids. If you have the radar (again the worm doesn't come with this by default), you'll hear near by objects as a honking sound in the sterrio field, if not,then turn around until you scan an asteroid then let fly with your laser by pressing the I key, center the targeting sound to fire accurately.

most asteroids will split into meteors when you hit them so you'll need to target the meteors and hit them again.
after you shoot a meteor you'll either have left behind some valuable cargo you can pickup like gold, cobalt or lithium, or a rock. if its a rock, just blast it, but if its cargo then fly to it and pick it up.

Nebula mining is even easier, just ask directions to the local nebula then simply fly around and pickup anything that isn't methane.

As to mission directions, I'm only just trying out the missions myself so I'm not sure how they work, I'm just doing the one with the missing scientist, though mostly it seems the majority of the game is concerned with gathering resources  and either pirating or getting bounties so I've kept the missions until I was sure what I'm doing.

I'm now saving up enough cash for a gekko ship.

2019-01-15 09:36:27

What sets this game apart from the other games out there that is like this one? Also what sets this game apart from the other titles that Freeman 69 developed?
I am curious to know these things.

2019-01-15 09:55:07

@cyco,  I'm not sure what you mean by "other games out there that are like this one", since there are! no other accessible games out there like this one big_smile.

The closest we've had were the smugglers series and star traders, but both of those were turn based.

this game is entirely real time, you fly your ship in detail, you need quick reactions to fight etc, which makes the trading and mining and such much more interesting.

As to Freeman69's other games, Echo quadrent is a space exploration game true, but there you control lots of ships in fletes and the game is entirely turn based (plus its one I've never been too successful at), whilst Treasure islands is a quick arcade/adventure game about navigating round a map in detail. Its pretty cool for what it is but its scope is by nature limited.

This however is entirely new, both for Freeman69 and for the audiogames market, its our first real time space trading game, and I believe our first detailed real time space sim as well not counting muds, so is pretty damn awesome!

Then again I might just be saying that since I have bought a  gecko, and am currently slaughtering my way around the galaxy between picking up riches from robot mines big_smile.

2019-01-15 10:10:06

Hi guys
The economy is more random than the original elite. Prices are created when entering a system and saved.
The idea was to make roaming about more attractive, and not make one area too profitable.
I like all of the ideas mentioned. Some needed to be designed in from the start.
Apologies to those having difficulties, you can blame Dark and the others for that. They asked for complex and I tried to deliver big_smile
There's a list of audio indicators on the main menu to listen to, which might help.
I may write a couple of short narratives, which I always meant to do, to describe the average situation.
I am working on adding courier jobs and a few other tweaks and additions, but will be back very soon.

2019-01-15 10:13:57

courier jobs and such would rock, and for my part I'm loving the complexity, once I worked out how not to die all the time in combat.
I'll see about writing a basic tutorial guide with information for people who are struggling.

Thanks again for an amazing and truly addictive game.

2019-01-15 10:45:06

What I meant was do you get to move around freely in the other games that Freeman developed? Do you also get to battle in those games like this one?
I hope that my questions are more clear.

2019-01-15 12:46:16

You get to move around freely in treasure islands but there the challenge is going from place to place, while Echo quadrent has turn based battles.

2019-01-15 13:01:07

at dark, i wouldn't say muds were realtime sims, far from it. this game outstrips a mud by far if you ask me.