2018-12-23 12:57:41

Hi.
No, I haven't received anything. Sure you sent me stuff?
My mail is:
galapagos dot miguel dot angel at outlook.es.
I've been constantly checking my inbox and nope, nothing in there. Maybe add more infrastructure to the mailing system? big_smile
BTW, qs hosting, gonna check the thingy up. Thanks for thinkin in us. Also checking the forum email. Or trying to.
Take care.
Mike.

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2018-12-23 13:35:44

at post 76  Strange. Because I got no errors in our logs stating that anything went wrong. If need be, follow us on twitter and we can dm you your stuff if you'd like. twitter is @jchosting17

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2018-12-23 13:37:05

Hi.
No, sorry, I don't have twitter. Can you resend or private message me over here?
Take care.
Mike.

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2018-12-23 13:42:15

And at post 75 we'll change these up vary soon. Everything should have been clearly labeled. I've tested this greatly. What screen reader are you using. If you say jaws, that's one that I don't have and that I would refews to put on here. Lol. hahahaha. But yeah man, I do get what ya mean by that. Kind of just never occurred to me before before now. I do apologize. If you tab between the fields, your screenreader would have said required, or if it didn't say that, that  meant that it would have been totally optional. But yeah, we'll look into rewriting the form up a bit.

2018-12-23 13:45:49 (edited by Jonnyboy1991 2018-12-23 13:47:51)

At post 78, we just sent you a PM. Check your forum inbox. I find it strange that you didn't get an email from us. Every email that we're sending receives fine over here. Could be that it's marked as spam but no matter, a forum PM is waiting for your reply

2018-12-23 13:47:30

Hi.
Copied. Thanks for replying.
Take care.
Mike.

Take care.
Mike.

2018-12-23 13:48:50

Sounds good. Now, I'm off to take care of some stuff over here. Yall have a good day and will talk soon.

2018-12-23 13:56:02

Hi.
Yo, for some reason I can't access the teamtalk server thingy now. Will try from ftp.
Take care.
Mike

Take care.
Mike.

2018-12-23 14:21:43

@79:

Orca, actualy being on Linux here. Didn't announce anything. Amusingly, ChromeVox didn't either. Both just announced edit field or input form. Using flat review nada was labeled either so was just bringing that up.
On that note, given I now know things are optional, given I apparently get FTP access,am I allowed to host a MU on the web hosting acc and a forum or no? Just curious about how far I can stretch stuff assuming I went for a plan.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-12-23 14:22:51

Also, FWIW, I'll applaud you for having a site that's easy to use in w3m and other text browsers too, btw. It's refreshing.

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-23 15:21:43

Post 83, All fixed now. Try it again. Let me know if things are working or not. and post 85, ah, that may explain it. I should probs get a linux VM on this thingy to test code on but I'm not really sure how orca handles html content being as I don't use linux as a desktop environment much. Only use it for server stuff. I should probs read up on this a bit more. Lol. The only operating systems I have tested this code on is mac, IPhone and windows. If you have any ideas on how I can make it better so that orca can handle that content more feezable let me know, as I'm not so sure. I've used <label for> elements for all my form fields here and orca should have detected them and if not, that's a cerious issue that needs to be dealt with and, the aria-require=true atribute that I've used for this should have stuck out as well. I know I'm kind of throwing out a bit of code here but feel free to look at the source yourself. Lol.

2018-12-23 15:31:56

Hi.
I've sent you a private message with some questions regarding the whole services. The one that throws errors now is the icecast lol.
Take care.
Mike.

Take care.
Mike.

2018-12-23 15:45:49

Well. I'd just say do it like like so

Fill out the following form. Fields marked with a * are mandatory

First Name*
Name*
Phone
Twiter
Facebook

....something like that, I'd imagine.

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-23 20:43:09

well, folks, as a customer of both jc and qs hosting, I'm just gonna say this. From a customer viewpoint, Quality Site Hosting looks like a much more plausable company than Jc-hosting. While reading all 88 posts on this thread topic, I have continuously seen the unprofessionalism displayed by the CEO of Jc-hosting. I have seen the satisfaction rate of some of their customers, who seem to be having many problems with accessing certain aspects of their sites, ftp servers, and teamtalk servers. I have seen posts by unsatisfied customers who have waited and waited for hosting services, which were requested before the a-formentioned vacation in post 73. To me, it just doesn't look like they are trying that hard over there. I site these reasons, as well as a recent tweet from Jonathan Candler, control nobs, studio microphone." Rebuilding one  of my test servers from scratch just because I want to. lol." It seems to me that instead of rebuilding an old server for fun, this company may want to actually focus more on the cue of pending sign-up requests I'm sure they have. I know they have at least two, because after their migration, one of my top level domains was not restored (www.blindyessentials.com, which means that I will not be able to release the next blindy essentials handbook on December 31) and neither was my subdomain, which which was the basis for my icecast and teamTalk servers. Now, I have requested both of them to be set up again. I have been neither notified that these actions are in progress nor contacted in regards to what the heck is taking so long. Ok, never mind, actually Jc-hosting requested my previous username and password for my tld. Which brings me to another point, the insecure way that customers are asked to submit sensitive data to this company. Jc-hosting keeps telling their customers to DM said customer credentials over twitter, a social network! Just how unprofessional is that? And if you don't have twitter, you have to send them through email, which is also insecure. Not only that, these passwords are being transmitted while unencrypted and in an easily retreavable format. And while we're on the topic of retrieving things, why didn't Jc-hosting keep an encrypted database of user logins to retrieve later in case their  server crashed like it did? Why should the customers have to submit them to this company again? Now folks, I ain't really trying to bash on Johnny or his company here at all. What I'm trying to do is convey my thoughts on this hosting provider. And when its just that when you look at all that next to the secure and professional way Qs-Hosting does things, there really is no way to put it gently. I mean, come on. Qs hosting has been hosting my domain for over seven months with 100 percent uptime. I can honestly say that other than the 48 seconds my site was not loading do to a server restart to assign me a new Ip address, my stuff has been hosted rock-solidly. Add to that the flawless customer support I recieved, as well as the very quick operational times whenever I wanted a     custom solution such as an rss feed for my podcasts or some custome coding done, there is really no reason not to host with these guys. Sure, they cost money, and jc-hosting is free on most levels. But as a general rule of thumb, you get what you pay for in life, and if you don't pay for anything there, you'll get bearly more than that, and it isn't much different if you are investing.  Also, just something else to keep in mind. Qs-hosting, I believe, is an actual company composed of multiple employees, so everything is more likely to get done and get done on time and correctly. So, if one person goes on vacation, which does seem to be jc-hosting's main argument here as to why things weren't up and running, then someone else can just fill in and provide that 100 percent uptime they advertise. So folks, when it comes to the decision between these two companies, keep this in mind. Do you want someone who just wants to help you, right alongside  dealing with  their other life activities, or do you want a company that is actually dedicated soely to web and other such hosting?

-
That Guy. Serving those people since that time. To contact, use that info.

2018-12-23 21:13:56

At post 89, I failed to reason of why you have posted my tweet for all to see. That, had nothing to do with anything, if at all. That server is just a small server should I need to test anything on I can. So there ya go. Again, I fail to see why people keep posting about off topic things. Look, This thread had a person talking about stuff that needed to be taking quite care of and I happen to post in being quite responsive after a couple of post and this is what happens. This isn't a thread of which hosting company is better or anything like that. As I stated before and I'll state it one last time. Doing things differently is not a bad thing and right now, It's me and one other person running this stuff. I'm looking for another sisadmin of which I can trust to take care of data and not steeling anything. To be honestly frank, I don't trust a lot of blindies around these parts and our databases hash everything to get user stuff from. of course, I could dehash shit, but I really don't feel like doing that so there you go and hello, what does me posting on this thread about my thoughts on the matters that pull up have anything to do with professionalism around here. Also, my tweets, by god. Hello, that's my personal twitter. I tweet, whenever, and whatever, I feel like and that just happened to be one of my tweets. Need I say more? No. I'm sorry, but unless people have anything more to say on the matter, I'll be out of here.

2018-12-23 21:14:08

At post 89, I failed to reason of why you have posted my tweet for all to see. That, had nothing to do with anything, if at all. That server is just a small server should I need to test anything on I can. So there ya go. Again, I fail to see why people keep posting about off topic things. Look, This thread had a person talking about stuff that needed to be taking quite care of and I happen to post in being quite responsive after a couple of post and this is what happens. This isn't a thread of which hosting company is better or anything like that. As I stated before and I'll state it one last time. Doing things differently is not a bad thing and right now, It's me and one other person running this stuff. I'm looking for another sisadmin of which I can trust to take care of data and not steeling anything. To be honestly frank, I don't trust a lot of blindies around these parts and our databases hash everything to get user stuff from. of course, I could dehash shit, but I really don't feel like doing that so there you go and hello, what does me posting on this thread about my thoughts on the matters that pull up have anything to do with professionalism around here. Also, my tweets, by god. Hello, that's my personal twitter. I tweet, whenever, and whatever, I feel like and that just happened to be one of my tweets. Need I say more? No. I'm sorry, but unless people have anything more to say on the matter, I'll be out of here.

2018-12-23 21:35:28

@73, yeah. You were on vacation. Fine. But your doing web hosting, and your giving shitty service to people, which is why I wrote that post the way I did. Whether you had all the tools on your machine is entirely irrelevant. Whether you were on vacation is, also, entirely irrelevant. You improperly planned for this migration, and didn't do a proper migration when your hosting tons of user data, and therefore you suffered for it, and people are switching to QS hosting because your service is inaddiquit. Report the post all you like; its only the way you cry for mommy, as they say.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-12-23 21:42:41

@91, uh. Wow. You clearly know nothing about hashing, then. You cannot "dehash" something. A hash is not reversable. Once data is hashed, it is hashed for ever. You can create hash collisions, where two datasets are not identical but generate the same hash, but if you use a secure hashing algorithm like SHA-512 or Blake2, the likelihood of you ever managing to do that is nil. Yep, I fully support post 89 in this matter; sending user credentials over twitter via the DM system (which is probably monitored for, you know, security reasons), or over email (which is a very, very insecure method, even if you have all email security measures in place), is a terrible, terrible idea. Stop living in 1994-1998 and get to modern technology, then (if your reputation hasn't been shattered) try again.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-12-23 22:16:35

@post 90, I have absolutely no problem with anyone expressing their thoughts on this thread. I am simply saying  what I think about you expressing them as a representative of your company. Unless, of course, you aren't one. You have continued to say that you just want to help people, so as a suggestion I would say not to market what you do as something that is equal to an actual web hosting company. And after reading the part of your post in which you stated that you don't feel like dehashing something, ignoring, for the moment,  the facts contradicting you in post 93, it seems like you just don't actually care. If you did, then you would go to any lengths to satisfy your customers, up to and including making sure you could retrieve sensative data. Also, I never said I have a problem with you writing things on twitter. But we all know that you are the same person behind both your personal account and your quote on quote business one, so obviously when you are doing something personal, you aren't doing something host-wise. Don't misunderstand and think that I'm saying that you shouldn't have an outside life, because I greatly encourage that in blind people. But I just think your customers should all know that sometimes their needs aren't your top priority, so that they can invest their money somewhere where that is the case.

-
That Guy. Serving those people since that time. To contact, use that info.

2018-12-23 23:18:18 (edited by timberwolf1991 2018-12-23 23:21:46)

Ethin wrote:

@73, yeah. You were on vacation. Fine. But your doing web hosting, and your giving shitty service to people, which is why I wrote that post the way I did. Whether you had all the tools on your machine is entirely irrelevant. Whether you were on vacation is, also, entirely irrelevant. You improperly planned for this migration, and didn't do a proper migration when your hosting tons of user data, and therefore you suffered for it, and people are switching to QS hosting because your service is inaddiquit. Report the post all you like; its only the way you cry for mommy, as they say.

This, so much this.

I honestly don't know why folks are remaining with jc-hosting. The sheer unprofessionalism, the loss of user data, free or not, the fact that he is only *now*, in 2018, getting security under control.

I'm sorry, but qs-hosting will treat you better, be more secure, and there is 0 favoritism going on. Not to mention you will be treated professionally, not given an excuse of why they can't check direct messages - there is twitter for mobile devices for that - but, a better question is actually why the living hell anyone from jc-hosting is even sending passwords over direct message. It's like giving someone a clear method into your lack of security. What happened to a forgot your password link so that the password can be secured. Wait, was it ever to begin with? Folks, if you use the same password for anything else as jc-hosting, my recommendation is to change it. Now.

And let's not forget that the lack of maturity shown here is only the beginning. The lack of ssl and encrypted data, the lack of forethought that went into this migration, the lack of communication with customers coupled with the aforementioned lack of knowledge on how to properly conduct yourself in a business related environment tells us that maybe 2018 is the year for you. How can you be expected to keep customers if you continue to make excuses, evade questioning and blame your twitter client - and we're not even getting to the fact that you were literally on vacation when this all went down  a month ago and you're still unable to recover people's data. That says how much planning went or goes into anything you do - zero.

Simply contact qs-hosting while you wait for jc-hosting to get what remains of its shit together - assuming your passwords aren't already in someone elses pocket due to the latters lack of security - and see what they can do for you. I garentee you you won't be disappointed.

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2018-12-23 23:52:43 (edited by Ethin 2018-12-23 23:55:14)

@95, exactly. I seriously don't understand why people would *ever* risk their users security. What if some of those users happened to be paying, and someone got a hold of those credentials, and they had their credit card on JC-hosting? Then we'd have JC-hosting most likely facing charges of either fraud or something else just as damning. This is not how you run a hosting company. And you know what's ironic? I don't run a hosting company; I run a community of people with like-minded (and sometimes not so like-minded) interests as my own, and I offer to host things, but I haven't gotten very far -- primarily because that's not the primary domain of interest of my community. And yet I not only have HSTS, but all user passwords are hashed in a database, all data is encrypted over the network, if available, with AES-256-GCM or ChaCha20Poly1305 (though other AES-256 and AES-128 ciphers are supported, but nothing else), and if I do ever get payments, they certainly *won't* be processed by me -- because I am willing to admit I don't have the money, time or energy to put into setting up PCI-dSS compliance to process payments. Na, I'll leave that up to Stripe or PayPal where I know that no user would be stupid enough to give me their PayPal password. That is how you secure a server -- using common sense, and by buying a hardening book and referencing from that here and there. But you never, never, ever, request user passwords over email or twitter, and if you do send them passwords, those passwords better be temporary ones!

My Github

2018-12-24 08:13:10 (edited by Chris 2018-12-24 08:26:21)

Does QS Hosting give you a VPS and let you do anything you want with it? I've been toying with the idea of creating my own website and having my own server space. I want to also do things like host servers for Sound RTS and other games. These prices are pretty good considering what you get. I just don't know if I'd use it enough to justify the monthly payments. Still, $5 per month for 10 GB of storage and $14 a year for a domain isn't bad at all. HOw do you manage your server? I hope it lets you use SSH. What distro of Linux are they using?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-24 08:29:41

@97, uh, yes, of course it lets you use SSH. Any server would. The question I believe your asking is, "Is SSH configured securely on the server?"

My Github

2018-12-24 08:35:46

I would assume SSH is always secure. After all, it's a secure shell. Is SSH the only accessible way to interact with the server? What operating system is used? How much RAM and CPU cores do you get with each plan? I couldn't find that information on the page.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-24 09:14:48 (edited by Ethin 2018-12-24 09:24:07)

@99, no. That is the exact wrong attitude to take. Never, ever, assume anything is secure until either:
* It has been audited by a security professional, and declared secure,
* You have seen the configuration of what you are assuming is secure, and it satisfies basic to intermediate hardening and security recommendations, or
* The company (or person) releases to you a detailed listing of the security measures taken to secure what you are assuming is secure. Said measures should include ciphers used, protocol versions, and so on.
Just because something has the name "secure" in it does not mean it is actually secure. Take HTTPS, for example. HTTPS stands for HTTP-secure. By your own logic, HTTPS is secure. Yet, if the website your visiting happens to have a server misconfiguration, and uses the DES, 3DES, or DESX cryptography ciphers instead of AES ones, HTTP-Secure is just as insecure as HTTP (because DES, 3DES, and DESX are trivially easy to break by anyone). Even someone with hardly any experience in cryptography but enough in programming can break it in less than a month at most. Below is a quotation from Stack overflow about this very issue (mainly DES versus AES):

Assume that 1 evaluation of {DES, AES} takes 10 operations, and we can perform 10^15 operations per second. Trivially, that means we can evaluate 10^14, or about 2^46.5 {DES, AES} encryptions per second. This is a simplistic view: we are ignoring here the cost of testing whether we found the correct key, and the key schedule cost. So on our hypothetical machine, a 56-bit DES key would take, on average, 2^55/2^46.5=2^8.5|=362 seconds to find. Similarly, a 128-bit AES key would take 2^127/2^46.5=2^80.5 seconds |=2^55 (or approximately 36 quadrillion) years to find.

So, in other words:
* In this simplistic model, it would take a hacker approximately 362 seconds (or about 6 minutes) to crack something encrypted with DES.
* With that same data encrypted with AES, provided we are using appropriate parameters for the encryption and our algorithm is implemented properly, it would take longer than the universes remaining lifespan to crack.

My Github