2018-12-01 17:30:06

I was thinking of developing a game, but I wanted to make sure that something like this doesn’t already exist.

What I was thinking of was a general card playing game, where one player would host a game and other players could connect to it over LAN and play card games together like Uno, Go fish, Rumy, Hearts, etc. The game would probably have a browser based interface, so players could play on phone, ipad, whatever and have both a visually oriented GUI, as well as screen reader accessible interface.

Does something like this already exist where people can playcommon card games with other humans either over the internet, LAN, hot seat, or otherwise?

Thanks for any info smile

2018-12-01 17:32:26

dont we have playroom and rs games?

2018-12-01 18:04:52

@Dragonlee we have several thus far, if you go and look at the database on the front of site and use the "search games link" you can search the "social game  category which will show you several multiplayer hubs, many of which include card games.

Off the top of my head, RS games has uno, go fish 1000 miles  several others, whilst Quentin C playroom has rummy plus  less standard games.

Then there is the blind adrenaline cardroom which is still paid subscription, which  euchre, hearts and spades.

This isn't to say yours is a bad idea, just that you should probably have a look at what's available multiplayer first and try to think of games that don't currently have available versions to play, after all people love philip Bennifall's Jungle, the online adaptation of the chinese game of animal chess.

One thing that lots of people really want to see more of are more custom ccg fantasy card games like munchkin, magic the gathering, yugio etc, and I for one would absolutely love a fantasy board game to play online against other people since I've always wanted to play games like talisman  or hero quest.

Good luck with the programming and I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-12-01 18:20:51

hello, we have rs games and playroom, but they have their own problems, RS games can only be played with TTS and playroom can be played   without using TTS, but it's pure text, there's no images  or etc if i had 100% vision, playroom wouldn't be fun to me and rs games wouldnt be fun either because i wouldn't be able to see anything. and they both connect to a center server and you can't host a server through lan you need internet to play.

2018-12-01 18:54:52

I wouldn't be opposed to a mobile card playing hub for multiple users. As stated above though there are already a few options available, who's clients are primarily for pc, but if you play through playroom or rs games website itself, you can do so from your phone's browser with buggy sound or no sound at all, but it works.

2018-12-01 20:35:38 (edited by Riad 2018-12-01 20:39:24)

@Dark the Playroom has Hearts and Spades while RS games have rummy as well.
Edit: Oops, I forgot about the Ontoys Game Room whose registration is extremely hard but that you can manage if you have enough patience. They do offer a wide selection of classic and non-classic card, board and sport games.

2018-12-01 21:12:33

I would also like to point out that OnToys has visuals so you can play just fine if you are sighted. Also, the registration is not that hard. There are just 2 things to keep in mind: First, there is a captcha and as long as you are signed in to your Google account, simply checking the I'm not a robot checkbox should be enough to proceed. If not, the audio version is available and is in English, moreover you do not need to be 100 percent accurate. Also, if you cannot log in to the client wait for at least a day until your account is fully activated. You cannot play over LAN however, and it isn't browser based, but Android and iOS clients are expected soon. To check it out if you are interested, go to http://tiflo.space/en/ and if you want the client, go to http://tiflo.space/en/ontoys/

2018-12-01 21:15:08

I also forgot to mention something about game availability: It offers poker, 101 which is quite similar to uno, hearts, 66, 1000, rang, 20, nine, seka, makeweight, fool and believe or not believe when it comes to card games.

2018-12-01 21:43:25

How good is the English. Especially in the rules and keyboard commands listings?

2018-12-01 21:49:28 (edited by Nikola 2018-12-01 21:52:09)

That will highly depend on the game you are interested in. You see, unlike our famous platforms like QC or RSG, OnToys has a different system. It is like a public API, and developers are free to create their own games. So some have perfect English, while some still need work. We do have a good translation team, so I would say that about 80 percent of OnToys should not be confusing. Rules for most games are translated, some still missing but will eventually be up. As a general rule, there should be nothing completely in Russian and missing the English translation. I do have to say that the client, even in Russian which is the original language of the developer has no readme for keyboard commands as most things are obvious, and when you do log in pressing ctrl plus k brings up a list of hotkeys available in the current window. Also, pressing alt or applications key is generally a good idea for games to figure out which options are available for you and which shortcuts they use.
Edit: Also, I don't really want to get this topic too much away from it's original purpose, so if you have any questions or trouble with the program you can post in the OnToys topic, which is a bit out of date so maybe a new one should be created.

2018-12-02 04:31:56

Okay, all I will say then is, congrads on translating that much of it!

2018-12-02 05:26:51

yes as dark stated, we have the common card games covered, we are craving, hoping, begging for custom ccg fantasy card games like munchkin, magic the gathering, and hearthstone. and there are plenty others. only thing we have is pokemon and yugioh, and we don't need another one of those, the accessible versions we have of them are just fine.

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-12-02 08:00:23

pretend you're xyzzy Works for me for cards against humanity