2018-05-23 08:51:25

Hi.

Since they now have an oregon trail gamebook (though I don't think its based on the old dos game), I thought I'd give this a try as it really! needs a db page.
The first wizard's choice was fun, I like the  that the games are more like old fighting fantasy in terms of managing resources like life etc rather than the Cog/Hg status bars, it makes them easier for a quick run through and less agonising over choices. The coins system to backtrack is also a nice one and I rather like the achievements you get for doing random things.

I do wish Wizard's choice didn't have everyone speaking in that cod foe medeival speak, though its not half as bad for this as some games, ---- yes I'm looking at you champion of the gods big_smile.

My one question is though, how much exactly does delight games cost? and what is the deal for buying them?

Way back in the mists of time I bought delight games premium back when it was just a fiver, and also inaccessible on Ios. This is now cool since apparently I've got all the gamebooks at a wopping great discount, but obviously if I'm supposed to write a db entry for these I need to know what the pricing is if you  have that.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-05-23 15:36:43 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2018-05-23 15:40:15)

On android its $19.99 so i would guess the same on IOS. You have access to all the stuff in the free version and more with early access to new material and no adds. So over 40 gamebooks all in 1 app.

2018-05-23 16:23:09

Thanks Kenshira that's good to know.

If you have the free version do you buy the books individually? I got the impression that some of them,EG the start of each series such as wizard's choice vol 1 was free, and then you could pay for the other books one at a time, or get lifetime access  premium.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-05-23 17:17:29

Starter books or single volumes are always free. To unlock more books in the free version you use the coins you get from achievements. You can spend money for them too, or watch some ads or simply log in and get em as a daily bonus. If you save to the cloud and restore that cloud save on another divice, the coins will be converted to luck, so it is advised that you unlock what you want before transferin
Hope that helps.

2018-05-23 17:27:39

Thanks, that's good to know.
While it was really nice to get access to the full delight games library for a fiver it does make it a bit more difficult to write about big_smile.

2018-05-27 11:24:23

Okay delight games now has its own db page you can find it here

Hopefully all the info is correct. Thus far I've played through the first two volumes of Wizard's choice and some of pirates choice but haven't played all of the other gamebooks yet, still I am aware this is one that's needed a db entry for quite a long time.

2018-05-28 09:04:58

wow can you really purchase the next chappter with coins now on the IOS version? , last time I checked I can't, no unlock with coin option in the dialog that pop up after double tapping on the locked chapter.
nice job for the db entry though! big_smile

2018-05-28 11:20:57

Glad you like the db entry, its needed one for a while. I'll admit I was hoping Sebby, who has played far more of the delight games than I have would put one together but as he seems rather busy these days I decided it was time, plus I am having fun with them myself.

I'm afraid I'm just going off Kenshira's info as regardes unlocks. I bought the delight games premium many moons ago, back when it was utterly inaccessible and I think there were only 10 or so books.

Its actually rather nice in that I initially payed just a fiver for the hole collection, thought I'd lost my money due to the gamebooks at that time not reading at all with vo and was a little irritated that I couldn't get a refund. Then, when the accessibility got completely fixed  I had a nice surprise in that now I  got access to the full collection at a rather nice discount big_smile.

On the other hand that does mean I'm not %100 sure how payments for the books work if you don't have a premium subscription hence my above questions.

I will say the books are enjoyable, they remind me a little more of the classic fighting fantasy style adventures than of the Hg/Cog titles, but hay there's always room for different gamebook experiences, and I do enjoy the need to manage your mana etc.

2018-05-28 22:47:09 (edited by JasonBlaze 2018-05-28 22:48:52)

aww... yeah, it seems you have to go premium to unlock stuff with coins.
on the android version you don't have to be premium to purchase the next chapter, I played quite far into the game and got attach with the characters, haha. and then my phone broke sad
I really wish someone would do a giveaway for the premium since I can't purchase it big_smile
but ah well, you can't get everything for free isn't it smile
have you try paladins anyways? it's from the same developer