2015-04-25 04:48:59

Hey all,
just a quick note.
I think I'll be implementing both types of track builder. Some one suggested I make it like Mario Cart, which sounds cool however I've never played that game so cannot base any ideas off of it. If the last poster gets back to me I can add that in as a possibility.
  From what it seems, the track builder is going to be a rather large menu, with a lot of things to choose from. tongue. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with it in the least bit.
  And remember as always, you can check out the s quad racing page for updates, as I've been working on quite a lot recently since I returned from my code break on April 12th.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-04-25 14:22:18 (edited by audioracer 2015-04-25 15:39:44)

I'm listening to your weekly audio play through. And I'm interested in this for sure. Some questions I have are as follows.
1. Will there be a car creator?
2. Will the computer players be able to select custom cars?
3. I was noticing that the cars don't shift gears. Will this be changed? And will the players and computer opponents be able to choose manual or automatic?
4. Will there be pits for fuel and repairs?
5. Will the players be able to put there own music in the tracks?
6. Will there be a race announcer for each track? Each track could have it's own race announcer telling how many laps left to go.
That's all I have for now.
Good luck on this game.

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2015-04-26 04:12:28

Hmm, very interesting points, and thanks for the good luck wish.
Custom cars: yes
car builder: yes
OK I'll stop with that... just yes to everything. I don't feel like listing that all out. But I actually think especially that the announcer idea is quite neet, as well as the ambiance. However, if possible, I'd like people to put in more ambiances than just one on the track, such as a different ambiance on each part of the track, user defined parts of course. and I also plan to add the ability to include thunderstorms moving around on your tracks, as I previously mentioned, so yeah.
  I currently have sounds for 8 different cars, but am still needing many more than that, because 8 cars just isn't enough for a game like this, in which cars will be unlocked in higher levels as you become more efficient at driving. I unfortunately think I'm going to need to create a separate topic requesting sounds as it doesn't seem that many people look to this one given the fact that my website is where most of the updates and demos are posted.
  As for the track builder situation, I think I'm going to actually do both of my ideas. The reason for this is that some people prefer precise value entering, however even I'd kind of like a track builder like the one I have in mind, because it's really never been done before and I think it would be very interesting to do.

Stay tuned, this game is far from being finished! big_smile

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2015-04-26 15:46:42

Of course to the ambiance. And people can put there own custom ambiance in there tracks. So it wouldn't have to be hard coded preset ones like Top Speed did. Top Speed was ok, but two things that annoyed me about it.
1. The computer players would not select custom cars.
2. You could not put your own ambiance sound effects in your track. You had the use the 11 predefined ones.
So if your looking to break those  cycles, I a plod you for that.

Now for car creation, are you planning to stick with one engine loop file like Top Speed did, or have multiple loop files for different gears and what not.
Obviously, it's your game and it is up to you. And I don't want to put too much on your plate with suggestions.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2015-04-26 20:19:19

John, here's the thing with the suggestions--as a developer, one must aquire the hard-to-learn skill of... er... tossing the suggestions into a box to deal with later... all things you want to get to but can't now. So I've actually devised a suggestions section of <a href='http://stevend.net/squad-racing'>the s quadd racing page</a>, which, even without your suggestions, has nearly 20... lol... though many will be removed once the track building system is completed.
  As for using the same engine loop sounds as you gear up--most likely, yes, as this is usually the case on most racing games, (Even the mainstream racing games I listened to my older brothers play on the play station did that). Another note about computer players selecting custom cars. Unlike Top Speed where you had the 15 or so cars from the time you first opened the game to whenever you stopped, I'd like whatever cars that come prepackaged with the game to be unlocked, thus the range of different cars a computer player could select would be somewhat limited, to keep things fare. Nonetheless I'd like to provide 15 or perhaps 16 cars, to give a good amount to unlock before one started building their own.
  And, given the system I plan to implement which calculates the minimum level one can play a car or track they built based on the features and stats they gave it, it should be quite easy to generate content for oneself that they need to unlock, thus inspiring them to race more, to get to the tracks and cars they desire.

2015-04-26 22:06:03

OK. So what you are saying is if people build custom cars, and it looks good, from time to time, you might make it a game car for the computer to select.
Sorry if I'm miss understanding here. But I think I see what you are saying so I just want to clarify.

But once again, we need more racing games out there. So I'm glad you are making one. Don't give up.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2015-04-26 23:18:22

Precisely. It will actually always be a car that computer players can select--if the player has unlocked it, anyway. It doesn't matter how good it is, it just matters if you'd unlocked or bought it.

2015-04-28 02:42:59

I'm also interested in this game. smile

2015-04-28 03:07:22

glad to hear that.

2015-05-08 02:14:14 (edited by The Dwarfer 2015-05-08 02:15:24)

Hi all,
This is a please read post.
It seems that at least some people are under the impression that I will be releasing a comercial racing game that is... not multiplayer. I assure you all, however, that this is not! and I repeat not! to be the case, and please don't be mistaken.
  While I do intend this to be comercial at some point, here are some things that you should know.
1. when I do so, rest assured that you will, have, multiplayer, based on whatever you vote on in this topic's pole.
2. I will not, do, this, until the game is completely finished and functional.
3. there will, be, a, free, version. it will not have multiplayer, of course, and track building and such will be far more limited than had you purchased the game.

I am mainly posting this because even a contact over skype thought I'd make this a shareware game with only single player... but I hope he, and you alike, know I wouldn't perform such a blasted rip off.

In other news, guess what! I have an audio demo to share! And guess what is in the demo? A fully! working! race! Check this out!
https://sssjournal.files.wordpress.com/ … week11.mp3

That's all for now. Enjoy!

2015-05-08 03:55:06

Don't give up man. I'm gonna listen to the demo right now. Keep it up bro.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2015-05-08 04:24:43

Thanks for the support man. I refuse to give up because I'm creating this for my experience, my intertainment... ETC. if others don't play it, I will be a bit disappointed, but I'll still enjoy the game.

2015-05-08 04:38:00

I've been quietly following your work and am excited for what you end up with. It definitely seems like you have the drive and intellect to create a masterpiece for audio gamers who love to race.
Good luck.

Stevie-3

2015-05-08 05:09:24 (edited by The Dwarfer 2015-05-08 05:10:49)

Thank you so much Stevie! I am passionate about playing, programming, and heck, even blogging about games! I love them! And to create them--well that's even better.
  Oh and by the way this is off topic but there might be a small surprise in the works that is... let's just say... something to divert my code hungry brain away from the racing game because... lord knows I can't stop coding, even when I take a break from one project because I've just seriously squashed a bug or something, I'm onto another. haha.

2015-05-09 00:52:18

Hi steve, where are the gears? Also, will we be able to develop vehicles in demo version?

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-05-09 05:54:33

Burak,

as for the gears, they will be added by the next audio demo. Since I managed to complete racing and make it bug free, I can move on to such things now. Yes you can build cars in demo version.

2015-05-24 07:58:01

Hello.
I did not read all messages, but I want another racing game.
I even already voted in the poll above.
greetings and luck.

sorry my english, is not my native language.

2015-07-24 04:22:16

Hey all,
With one of the latest changes, the ability to save a default race configuration, I was wondering. Would you all like it if you were able to save multiple race configurations, (A.K.A. Race presets), and select any one of them from a menu? That way, you wouldn't have to go through the process of selecting a track, the laps, mode, and number of opponents every time; you could just pick your favorite race preset and go with it.
Let me know what you guys think of this, and whether I should add it.

2015-07-24 11:54:47

hi! It'ld bee a great idea, in my opinion!

Claudio

2015-07-24 14:39:59

Whew! You had me worried for a minute there, the title say racing game but the vote is about a multi player game, I was confused and wondering if I missed something.

While you and other people might injoy a racing game, I myself don't care to play any kind of driving game. I used to play driving games and flight simulators but found they depressed me, because all they did was remind me of things I couldn't do.

But if it's something you enjoy, go for it and, most of all, have fun!

2015-08-17 00:32:51 (edited by The Dwarfer 2015-08-17 00:35:10)

Hi all,
I have a serious question.
Would it be better if I took out the system that caused your car to decelerate when up arrow was not being held down, and replace it in favor of a button that you must press and hold to break the car quickly?
Option 2: I could keep the slow deceleration when up arrow is not held down and add a break button.

What are your thoughts on this?
I'm also happy to announce, to those of you who don't view the s quad racing page of my website, that gears and vehicles have been implemented.
That brings me to another question. How do you like the idea of instead of a value based vehicle builder, (that's quite unrealistic anyway), if I actually had players build cars from the garage, using actual material and parts they would have to buy, and I think I might make it so that people must earn building licenses for both tracks and vehicles.

2015-08-17 00:42:48

Hey stevo
First, did you buy the pure basic?
Next, do you planning to make this game online? lol
I haven't played this game now, but I will play it if online version is released.

2015-08-17 01:09:50

I think you should slowly decelerate if you release the up arrow but still have a break as well, that seems more realistic. Unless you're implementing slopes, if you're going down hill, then only a break could slow you down, not just releasing the throttle.
Also, having to build your car from the ground up in a garage sounds way cool.
Just throwing my 2 cents out there.
Keep up the good work man, I can't wait to check out what you come up with.

Stevie-3

2015-08-17 01:34:54

Hello.
I vote for the latter opcion.
Good luck on your project.
Greetings and thanks.

sorry my english, is not my native language.

2015-08-17 02:48:01

Hello there!
I would find it more realistic if you leave in the slow deceleration of the car when you release the up arrow, and put in a break button too, so you can quickly break the car.
To your second question, yeah, building your car from the ground up sounds quite cool.
The thing is that if you have special parts that for example the waight is an important factor.
If your car is heavy, it is harder to accelerate the car, but it would be a bit faster. Or if it is lighter, the same thing, just reversed. Cause if there is a huge number of parts for the car, and there is just no difference between them, that would take the fun and the strategic element out of the game.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.