2015-02-27 18:59:14

Hi, if you encrypt the file, nobody can find it. Also, no, you don't need to do a race for the garage. Add a simple carrier mode, where you just navigate around, and the garage should be there.
Also another suggestion:
In the carrier mode, there should be random racing cars running around. If you bump onto them, you send them a race request. If they accept it, which should be random, then you begin to race with that aponent in a time limit, for example in 10 seconds. If in 10 seconds you get in front of that car, you unlock that car. If the race finishes, you return back to carrier mode.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-02-27 19:27:09

Nitro is something that boosts your acceleration speed. Some real expensive cars have nitro in real life.
Also, I want to start my car manually just ecause I want to have more control while driving. Oh and just for fun, we should be able to stop the engines completely.

I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-02-27 19:27:41

Hmm. Maybe. Although rather than putting that in carier mode that actually sounds like a minigame of sorts. So does the cop racing, though. Ironically enough, I was working on a cop racing game last summer, but took the cops out and stopped the project. It would be nice to put that in and let you shoot the cops and such. big_smile

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-02-27 19:29:37

Nitro, or speed boost, will probably not be in cars; as you earn credits, you can buy that from the garage. But then again, I guess the name of the temporary speed up could be called nitro, and only work on higher ranking cars... man. Your suggestions make this game sound promising. And expect that the engine will stop completely when reparing a flat tire.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2015-02-27 19:57:19

Oh, and add a battle racing mode, where you try to race a track, but try to blow eachother up at the same time. The player first comes to the finish line wins. If nobody has came to the finish line, the last surviver wins.

2015-02-27 20:03:50

XD that would be funny. Imagine if I added that, and you still had to avoid obstacles? I could just imagine this going on:
--skit of a 7 player race, with a battle between 1 and 2
Player2: is behind player 1, getting ready to blow him up.
Player2: activates his voice function:"Get out of my way, you stupid scum, or I'll blow you up!"
Player1: is distracted and fails to spot the obstacle that will make him crash. he crashes
Player1:uses his voice function:"Hold off on blowing me up, just let me recover from this crash and start moving again."
Player2:is overly confident, and guns the gas and goes in front of player 1.
Player1:speeds up, positioning himself right behind player 2.
Player2:swerves to avoid an obstacle
Player1:turns with him, unnoticed.
Player2: slows down a bit, realising that he can't find player 1.
Player1:seeing his chance, blasts Player 2 into ablivian!
player2:is a fireball on the road.
Player1:is only 100 squares from the finish line so he speeds up, nitro in his tank, through the fire!
Nitro:exploads because of that fire and
player1: is put right back at position 0, where Players 3, 4, 5,, 6, and 7 are far, far ahead!

2015-02-27 20:40:48

Moderation!

Steve asked that this topic be moved from the developer's room, and I can see his point, sinse it is more about what games people would like in the future than about coding specifically.

for myself I agree with Cae, other than possibly space invaders games there is no genre of audiogames that we have a sufficiency of, though my concern with a racing game is getting the controls and physics right that could be interesting. 

For my part I will say I'm not generaly a fan of racing games. I don't know why, whether it's the rattling around with no exploring, or whether it's my lack of a competitive streak, or whether it's just that speed and handling mechanics and the hole ethos o

Moderation!

Steve asked that this topic be moved from the developer's room, and I can see his point, sinse it is more about what games people would like in the future than about coding specifically.

for myself I agree with Cae, other than possibly space invaders games there is no genre of audiogames that we have a sufficiency of, though my concern with a racing game is getting the controls and physics right that could be interesting. 

For my part I will say I'm not generaly a fan of racing games. I don't know why, whether it's the rattling around with no exploring, or whether it's my lack of a competitive streak, or whether it's just that speed and handling mechanics and the hole ethos of showing off cool equipment (cars, snowboards, spaceships or whatever), that go with it just doesn't interest me.

However, I am certainly not against people making games of all genres, it's definitely good to have a variety, and who knows I might get a pleasant surprise, ---- it's certainly happened in the past that games in genres I'd not expect to enjoy have proved me wrong by being awsome.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-02-27 21:13:52

Hi Steve, no no, not like that. I meant that could happen with projectiles. Maybe some higher level cars can throw smart projectiles, which follow you where ever you go, but if you turn some where from normal projectiles they shouldn't hit you. Maybe some armor upgrades in that mode would be cool.

2015-02-27 21:50:30 (edited by The Dwarfer 2015-02-27 21:51:22)

Hmm well not exactly sure though but whatever. I'm not even close to that stage right now anyway.
@dark Thankyou for moving this topic for me. And yeah I see your point. I myself am a bigger fan of action and card/dice games than I am of story games, though I like myself a little story game from time to time. I loved snow race though I didn't play it as much I played, say, top speed when I first got it, though it was a great game but I haven't got it on my computer at this time. But come to think of it, if there are still players of it and I can then race them, I'll get back on.
Right now this racing game I'm creating is no greater than topspeed3, and I quote that in all honesty and no shame. As I've clearly stated from the beginning I have simply developed a fondness for coding. I just love being able to hit the run button and see I have added another working part to the game! And when the game is finished I love to play that because I created it and it's exactly what I like!

I've got a new idea. Perhaps in the more advanced tracks, there would be cops that come out, to perhaps implement the cop racing burak was talking about.
I'll think about that... maybe.

Just in the mean time, make sure you're following that updates page, as it's been updated every day since I started the project, and today will be no exception.

2015-02-27 21:56:29

Hi, I never thought you'd take my ideas seriously. Thank you, I hope this game can come out.

2015-02-27 22:00:00

Oh, and an other suggestion:
If you go too slowly, you should not crash, you should scrape against what ever you're supposed to crash. If you continue scraping it should prevent you speeding up.

2015-02-27 22:20:53

@burak of course I'm gonna take your suggestions seriously. I'm a developer, of course.
As for that last suggestion, I've made it to where if you're not holding in the up arrow key, you're slowing down already, so unless you slow down and just keep tapping the arrow to try and maintain a constant speed I don't know how it would work.

2015-02-28 08:22:22

Well i got it so that the player can crash if they turn too far, in case those of you following this topic are interested. Now I'm on to figuring out the next obstacle type I want to implement: I might make this decrease your number of laps completed by 1, to put any enemies a lap ahead of you or more. is this a good idea?

2015-02-28 08:38:13

@Steve, coding a game because you want to make something good and enjoy making it is the best reason, and likely will result in something well designed and worth playing for everyone.

What you say about the cops reminds me of an awsome old amiga game called road rash. You played a biker racing against other bikers, however this wasn't exactly the formula one.

Firstly you could punch and kick your opponents off their bikes. Kicking knocked them streight off, but slowed your speed down while it took three punches to knock someone off. If you were knocked off your bike, you had to go and pick it up again (and obviusly you walked far slower than your bike).

If the cops turned up, they'd hall you in if you were speeding and end the race so you had to be careful, you also got some cops who would try to smack you off your bike with their night sticks and if they got you off they'd haul you in.
You could also get hit by oncoming traffic and knocked off your bike as well.

One thing I particularly liked is that all the other bikers in the race and the cops had personalities, and you'd always see in your rear view mirror the name of who was approaching or who you were coming up to, and after the race everyone had quotes, my favourite was the one who said "I'm going to be cleaning my bike with your face!" 

Apart from all this it was a normal racing game, accept that having a motorbike you obviously had a lot more room on the road to play with. You could buy better parts for your bike with the money you got racing,a nd eventually better bikes as well.

All in all the game was a lot of fun, I enjoye the beatemup aspects rather more than the racing, indeed i never used to bother about winning races I'd just see how many other bikers I could brutalize big_smile.

Btw, I'm not suggesting you build a game like this, just sharing experiences sinse Burak's comment about the cops reminded me of Road rash, plus this was an example of a racing game I did! have fun with despite my usual preferences.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-02-28 11:51:29

@dark I remember road rash, or at least the nentendo 64 version of it. Intrestingly i've baught a copy of an updated version for playstation 1, but only played it once. I've had a chance to play at this game though and I can dephanatly tell you it already shows promiss.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2015-02-28 14:45:33

Yep danny, I know there were various roadrash games for other consoles as well that added some extra stuff like extra weapons and tracks to race on around the world, I just remember playing it  on the amigar originally.

Actually an audio  version wouldn't be that hard, considering that you had to be beside your opponent in  order to punch and kick them, and it'd be easy enough to indicate the presence of police, other rashers etc.

As with most racing games, the hard part would likely still be the bike handling.

2015-02-28 19:04:27

@dark in post 39 rofl, rofl, rofl! That game sounds freaking hilarious! Since you'll be driving cars I don't think you'll be able to punch some one out of their car, but if one is hit by an opponent that would decrease their maximum speed by just a bit for the rest of the lap...
@dark in 41: handling the bike would be a bit hard, yeah. Since each player, including you and all your opponents, would have to be placed into two arrays: bike and person. This way the bike could have their active set to 1 when you were riding it, or 0 when it was laying on the ground. Person active could be 1 when walking, and 0 when riding the bike.

2015-02-28 21:24:00

@Steve, you could also do the thing just by switching properties and a bulian, sinse really in terms of handling or controls there wasn't much difference being off your bike as opposed to just being on it, it's just that (as you'd expect), your speed was a tiny, tiny fraction of what you'd get on the bike.

The bit that would be hard is that Roadrash didn't really work the way most racing games do in terms of the size of the road vs your bike, sinse the road had a lot more surface area to play with meaning that things like taking curves weren't so bad, the tough bit was being slapped around by the cops or other bikers, or being hit by oncoming traffic sinse yes of course for some reason the bike races always happened on roads where cars were going the opposite direction big_smile.

You also as I said had to balance using punches vs kicks on other bikers, and getting slapped around sinse you could be smacked into the side of the road or into the path of an oncoming vehicle.
The game was a lot of fun though. One thing I particularly remember is that you had a health meater. If you got knocked off your bike too many times and it hit zero an ambulance would pull up and the race would be over, ---- the funny part though is that you'd get a little sequence where the ambulance doors opened, the paramedics dashed out with a stretcher, and proceeded to lift your bike onto the stretcher and rive off with it leaving your body lying on the road big_smile.

BAttle racing in cars, or at least a couple of ways to trip up your opponent wouldn't be a bad thing though, look at Super Mario cart and how you could do things like chuck cooper shells or drop banana skins on the track to send the other drivers into a spin.

2015-02-28 21:32:37

Ah yes dark. Burak mentioned something to me about putting oncoming traffic as well, we'll have to see though. As for making the opponents spin out I'm dieing to make that happen. That will be very, funny.
I'm coding this in purebasic so don't have access to boolian variables, or at least I don't think I do.
  In other news I added a learn sounds menu. Also I completed a one lap race, and only hit two obstacles and didn't crash once. Luckily the obstacles that I hit were only the sticky mud obstacles that stop you for a period of time, and not the disorientator ones that get you lost and put you back to the start of the lap or if, you're on a lap that is higher than 1, decreases your completed laps by 1.
big_smile

2015-03-01 07:01:08

@Steve, the spinning out in Mario cart was more a way to stop your car. When you hit  an enemy like a thwomp, or got smacked with a cooper shell or banana skin you'd go into a spin, stop, and your speed would go to zero and you'd have to start accellerating again.
The other thing I always thought was cool was falling to your doom. Many tracks were above some sort of hazard. Ghost valley was above a big black abyss, cooper beach was on water, Bowser's castle was the track ran through lava etc.
Occasionally there would be jumps you'd need to make, little sections where you'd have to drive over the jump to bounce a pit, there would also be ocasional pits in the center of the track (especially in the ghost valley) that you had to avoid.
If you fell into the abyss/lava/deep water, you'd have lakitu, the man who flue around on a cloud and dropped spinies from the original Mario game turn up with a fishing rod to pull you to safety, but obviously it took time.
In particular I remember the last track in the game, Rainbow road, where the entire track was over an abyss with no sides at all, and where all the corners were absolute right angles so you had to stop dead before turning or go for an unexpected flight big_smile.

I also remember an amiga game called  super cars. That was similarly a battle racing game but your car could have two weapons attached, like missiles at the front, homing missiles or the ability to drop mines. Your car had armor and depending upon the percentage of the armor you had, the more speed you'd lose when you got hit with a weapon or crashed, to the point that if you had no armour left you'd crash and go up in a fireball.

What was particularly cool is that in between races there were little dialogue sequences where you'd get two other drivers asking you questions and if you hit the wrong answer you'd lose money.

So, battle racing sounds fun, and the more by way of weapons, hazards or other goodies you can add the better.

2015-03-01 09:30:18

hi.
Severe no problem. I will help youwith the hosting server. you  don't need to pay me  for thehosting server. it  will be on the same server with my website.

2015-03-01 15:55:32

Hmm. I wonder if I'll have to end up putting jumping into the game after all? But if I do that, you should expect that I'll be putting in-air powerups and things you can drive on, though. lol. May as well.

but as I said in This blog post, I still haven't yet coded opponents, and my goal is to get them fully functional with the items already present before I begin to advance further. This game is sure to take a long time, but I will release playable demos before the actual thing is complete. I'll be adding all of your suggestions to a directory of some sort so I always have access to them if or when this thread dies.
And thanks, Vlad for the offer. Since I'm not close to multiplayer just yet, I don't need that now, but thanks for offering your hosting. I checked out your site and it looks promising

2015-03-01 18:55:38 (edited by vlad25 2015-03-01 20:27:47)

ok
I will post a link on my site to your game page..
and please share this game with me as a tester and feel free to add me on the skype.
you will find my skype on the profile.
or search in the skype directorythe  following id.
vlad.ciotescu

2015-03-02 00:39:15

Thanks.
As for testing, anyone can be a tester if they visit the game's page of my website, when I release alphas and such. But I will not be doing one of those beta team dropbox folders, as I don't know and trust enough people to feel secure that:
1. drama and fights won't break out in my folder.
2. Files will be deleted, shared, or otherwise negatively motified.
3. my source won't be stolen.
  I literally only know one person, who's name I will not say, who I know beyond the slightest shadow of a doubt I can trust with such a thing, and he's also the only one who's got to test the game on multiple occasions already.

Vlad I won't add you on skype because I literally know nothing about you save that you're vlad and from Romania, and I'm not 100% sure about the latter.

2015-03-02 09:51:09

Hi.
Sounds like an interesting project.
While reading the topic, I thought about how to make the game addicting, and how to get people to play thi over and over Again. Here is my idea:
When you are driving without crashing, you'll get coins. Those coins should be used to buy more fuel. The tracks should be longer than you have fuel or, so you need to play the track or tracks over and over Again to save up for more fuel.
Just a small idea I got. What do you think about this?
Keep up the good Work. I look forward to see where this goes.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen