2015-03-14 18:22:22

@Burak, I agree, I was just trying to explain the logic behind topspeed, if you are player 8 and not in a custom vehicle, it can be ridiculous on some tracks to even have a chance to win. So yeah, it doesn't seem fair.

Stevie-3

2015-03-14 18:33:45

Hi,
Well, going back would be quite fun.
Imagine you would drive and an oponent is behind you.
I would rturn aaround and drive back until I am right ahead of him. Afterwords I would turn back so he is alined right behind me.
He would than, bump me from behind and push me forwards, making me faster and slowing him down at the same time so that I can accelerate faster when I need it.
BTw: when we make it like that, you should implement different engines which have different power strenghts so they can get faster or have better acceleration speeds.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2015-03-14 19:25:21

Yeah I'll look into adding unlockable vehicles. It shouldn't be so hard...
A breaking system would indeed be nice.
As for turning backwards I was thinking it would be realistic if I added some sort of skidding sound and made the car slow down a little bit, but not all the way.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-03-17 16:50:12 (edited by The Dwarfer 2015-03-17 16:59:18)

Hey guys,
A question.
Would it be logical, and/or possible, to store people's game variable files on an http server, so that they couldn't modify them?
I mean, where the game would load, ask for your name, and retrieve your stats off of the server, rather than having them at easy access.
Also, there's now a suggestions submitting form at the bottom of the page. I know there are a lot of headings before it, but to make it easier, navigate by heading level 2, or edit box, and soon I'll add a quick links section to the page.
The form is easy to fill out; don't worry, I won't! ask for any of your personal information. Not even so much as a name or email! Just go to the form, jot down a couple ideas, and click submit. That simple!

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2015-03-19 15:50:14 (edited by The Dwarfer 2015-03-19 15:51:48)

Hey all,
Bad and good news. The bad news isn't all that bad, and the good news will likely excite some of you!
bad news:
I didn't record the demo last night. That is because it wouldn't sound very different from last week, because I took a bit of an... er... hiatus from code for a little bit, because I don't want to push myself, I'm sure you can understand though.
good news:
I began coding again last night, as my change log readers know. I'm coding the end of the race, and after that's fixed, all I have to do is put the disorientator obstacle back in and configure it for opponents, which would take all of 15 minutes. The reason this is good news is because after that, I can begin to move on to the store and inventory, and eventually custom track building. All of this in 4 weeks, you say? Just imagine, how this racing game will look by the time school lets out and I'll have more time to code. smile
PS, thanks for submitting your suggestions on my new form. They are very interesting suggestions! Keep it up!

2015-03-19 18:17:12

hi severe. please add me  to your beta testers. i can help you with reporting bugs and the code.

2015-03-20 15:44:02

actually, vlad, here's the rundown.
I am planning on making this game shareware by the time it's ready for completion, which I estimate will be around my 17th birthday, around a year from now. This means that you will have to test with me for a long time, and since it is shareware, I will have some very, strict, beta testing rules.
I will set up perhaps a little beta testing bt sinc folder or something for the game. Applying for it will be a bit hard; not super personal, such as the dmnbac form that we heard about recently, but nonetheless it will be hard.
  This, however, is not a priority of mine at this time. If I end up setting this up, it will not be for at least 2 weeks, because I'm very unsure--how do I know my beta testers won't hand out the executables? How do I know they won't pass around their stat files to newbie players? how do I know, how do I know...? Yes, the trust issues.
  So yeah. Currently I have a relyable, willing beta tester. And I have it set up so that if he were to pass out my code, I could just as well take the updates out of the folder. So maybe.

2015-03-20 17:04:16

Well if you ask me the http thing wouldn't nice at all, what hapens if I want to play and there is no internet? Sighs, another game being shareware.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-03-21 06:16:44

@burak:
ok maybe http isn't the best thing for this, in fact that was a second option; I'd rather just encrypt game files if you ask me.
@the shareware comment yes. another game becoming shareware. but yes. another developer who is doing hard work as a hobby. so deal with it.

2015-03-21 12:47:41

Hi, not everybody has a credit card, you can't get credit cards if you're under 18 here. And there are 2 years until I get it.

I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-03-21 12:49:11

Hi,
Yeah, I think he's right.

2015-03-21 20:33:41

@last 2 posters: if you want to beg to someone, I'm not the right choice. Get money, or don't get the game. so sorry.
Besides, it won't be released for about a year. So yeah. Quit being so inconsiderit of my hard work! Anyway, if you quit yappity yapping at me for free crap, I might reconsile with you upon release about getting it for free if you can't, absolutely can't, get it. But keep on this road, sorry buddy. no.

2015-03-21 21:36:39

Begging you? Hell no, I am not begging you at all. Though it's true that I am frustrated. No, I am not trying to be inconsideret of your hard work. If I would do such a thing, I wouldn't even consider suggesting you anything. And free  crap? So you saying that games made free are crap? Wow, such harsh words to people WHO spend effort and release it without charging for anything.

2015-03-22 05:32:54

actually, burak, obviously no. and if what I was saying was harsh, there would therefore not be a thumbs up. I seriously don't care if you're frustrated. Are free games crap? no. but what I meant by "free crap" was free stuff. Sorry, didn't frikkin know I had to clarify.
Anyway, did you pull this crap to aprone when he made swamp shareware? hmm no don't think so. Anyways, all I have to say is: if you don't like the absolute frikkin idea of a shareware game, don't play it.

2015-03-22 06:34:05

Oh lord, the classic I can't pay for games argument again. Guys, we can't just make every game free, this subject came up on the dmnb topic, and I said the same thing. As fun as it is to produce games, we eventually at some point must charge for our hard work. I intend to do a subscription system for dmnb once i'm ready and once everyone things its stable and ready to be payed for, and that money doesn't just go to us. It goes for fixing valuable solutions. What happens if steve's computer dies, he doesn't have another one? No updates to the game. Hents, bordem by you, hents his game dies. But with the money, he would be able to pay to fix said computer or buy a new one and hents, updates for you, hents his game will not die out.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2015-03-22 06:40:22

Exactly Danny. You know, responding to this shouldn't have been my concern, as it's not my problem that some one can't pay for my game. I hope burak tries to give that bull crap excuse to some big computer company. Who knows, they might give him a comp with a quad core Pentium 3.5 ghz processor running windows 10 and with 20 gigs of ram and 4 tb of disk space. Who knows.
But anyways. with all bull crap excuses aside, anything better to talk about?

2015-03-22 11:32:52 (edited by burak 2015-03-22 11:41:53)

Hi
The reason i didn't complain to aprone was because i didn't like zombie games as much as racing games. I am looking for a good one for ages
So you do care when we suggest something, but you don't care if we complain? Wow. Very strange.

2015-03-22 21:52:55

because, suggestions help the game. People sitting around wining at me does absolutely, nothing, to further the productivity. That's why. Now burak, do you still find that strange?

2015-03-22 22:30:04 (edited by burak 2015-03-22 22:30:33)

You making the game freeware is not wining, it's a suggestion, so that everybody can play. It's your own preference, nobody's putting a gun on your head. But of course, since ı was looking for that game for ages, you can't know my frustration.

2015-03-23 00:08:33

Oh so now it's not a complaint it's a suggestion? *confused* well anyway. You can't get a credit card til you are 18 here either. But thankfully, we got parents. I presume you do as well, or else how do you support yourself without a credit card?
  Thing is, Burak, if you want to have about 97% of the stuff in the world before you turn 18, you would have to ask your parents to buy it for you. and if $20.00 is such a cumbersome amount of money for them, well I'm very sorry about your finanical situation. Otherwise...
well, get a small job, save up money, and ask for use of your parents' credit card and pay back the money you spent in actual cash.
Sound good?
Hope so, else it just looks like you'll be waiting til you are 18, lest you can find a way to ask nicely to be a beta tester, even then I'd have to get to know you first.

2015-04-09 01:30:07

Hey guys,
So yeah I'm sure it seems like I'm resurrecting a dead and gone topic. But here's the scoop. No matter how low this topic gets, It ain't dead until s quad racing is, which is definitely not the truth. For those who keep up with my blog and forums, you know my time has been consumed with flamity flame, poem writing, death match, stw, podcasting, and no racing project development lol. tongue
I don't plan for that to last. In fact, I've decided to revamp the vehicles system, to make it possible for users to build vehicles of their own. Also, unlike in top speed, all opponents will use the same car as the player does, so there will be a complete fairness to the game.
  Now is your time to help in development, however. I need as many race car sfx as you can give me. I'd prefer you put each car in a separate zip or folder within a packaged zip. In that, you'd include:
1. a horn sound.
2. Start up sound.
3. shut off sound.
4. of course, the loop that we can use to heighten and lower as the thing speeds up and slows down.

Oh. yeah. I forgot to mention something. If you really do this for me, and I get a lot a lot of good sounds, three random submitters might just get a little key for a certain folder with the game's beta in it... big_smile.

Don't feel obligated, it's not your responsibility by any means. So if no one submits even one car sound, I'll be OK with that. But they would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven.

2015-04-12 22:08:56

Track building parser is being implemented as I write this. The sintax for building tracks is literally so simple, it will make you want to laugh out loud. However, due to the overly repetitive nature of track building in a text file due to long tracks and their tendency to have a lot of turns and straights, I'll probably end up coding up a little track builder into the game.
However, for those of you who are interested, here's the syntax. This was coppied from the beginner track, so there are numbers already in there. But basically, it's just a property, and then a space, and then a number. For straights and turns, those have a start (what square of the track it will start turning) and end (the square that the turn ends on). And the spawn setting is how fast obstacles will spawn on the track. If you use the track builder, this should be irrelevant to you.
track size 2000
maximum obstacles 50
spawn 10000
left start 281
left end 300
straight start 301
straight end 370
right start 371
right end 400

So that's all there is for now. However, as other features are added, more configurations will be as well. I just thought you'd like a bit of a preview.

2015-04-24 04:11:33

I'm beginning to work on a built in track builder, that can be accessed via the main menu. I'm still, however, having some difficulty deciding how I want to do this. What I was thinking is as follows:
1. There is a menu. In this menu, you have the basic options; Setting weather conditions, maximum obstacles, how fast obstacles would spawn, all of that.
Also, in the main menu, I want there to be an option called layout customization. But unlike keying in values as is most common to track builders and such, I'd like the builder to select one of the available vehicles. Then, they would start driving just like regular, with the ability to move backward and forward on the track. Now in order to place a turn, they would first have to pause movement by pressing p, of course. To place a left turn, hit the left arrow key one time. if you want it to be a moderate turn, press left again. and if you want an advanced left turn, press left again, and finally a deadly left would occur the 4th time you pressed left arrow. Here's an example in case it sounds confusing.

1. I'm a drivin' down the track, just minding my own business. Ok, this seems far enough to iniate a surprise deadly left turn!
I'll press p, OK, good, it said paused. Let's see what the screen reader said when I hit left.
"Current turn type is slight left turn. Press P to unpause and race the duration of the turn"
No, I don't want that. Left arrow.
"Current turn type is moderate left. Press P to unpause"
No, still don't want that.

Etc, until you hear the type is deadly. You will then press p, unpause the game and get back into movement mode. Just as a player on the track, you are driving the turn, fighting as it were. Now when you decide that this is enough already, press p, and you'll be paused again. to end the turn and go back to a straight, just press enter. And if you're a full and want a turn immediately after the deadly left, don't unpause after entering; just start hitting the right arrow, it works the same as the left.

Now when you want a finishh marking of the track, simply while you're driving, press the enter key.

So how do you guys like this verses precise typing in values? I know you'll end up with things being at random track squares, but this is good if you want to base your track on real-time intervals rather than values.

So should I use this system? or should I use the more classic one. Or, since this is going to be shareware, should I add both?

2015-04-24 05:24:30

Could you make it like Mario Cart? That be sweet!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2015-04-24 05:26:19

what's that like, I perhaps could! I've never played mario cart