2014-05-06 18:41:40

Hi,
@Evil-Dog: The programming-related help is appreciated! The reason why I was commenting on me needing more devs was not because of programming experience, but rather to be able to roll out complex projects. More people, faster realisation smile Imagine coding a warcraft-like MMORPG alone...
@Seal: Challenge accepted, sire. We should really play a match or two pretty soon.
Speaking of Shank, it is funny how Cesar, the final boss, is miles easier to beat than, say, Cassandra. Both of them wield a Katana, but Cassandra has more combos and also punishes a lot more than Cesar.
I still think that audiogames are not complex enough not because people don't have ideas, but rather because we do not have enough developers who would collaborate. That is why it took GMA Games to develop Time of Conflict a couple years. With 3-4 people, it could have been ready in months. And if you can create an awesome strategy game in 4 months, imagine what you can make in a year, or even two years.
But anyways... Back to TBS smile
It's very nice that you're thinking along the lines of a talking menu, rather than a phone-like menu (1 to start game, 2 to see credits, etc). A badass game needs an awesome menu, too! smile

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2014-05-06 18:45:06 (edited by Evil-Dog 2014-05-06 18:47:08)

Yeah I'll do arrow navigation and stuff, I'll update you guys when I have something to show and you can give me some feedback.

And yeah it's true more devs would allow bigger projects but for big projects you need full time people otherwise it takes too long and has pretty much zero chance of being finished, I've seen it happen a lot of times.  And full time means you need some kind of salary haha it's the case for pretty much any experienced programmer.

2014-05-06 19:24:08

Nice! We'll be waiting patiently smile Meanwhile, there's always the original version to play. I'm probably going to go through the modified version a number of times, just as I had done with the original one.
True. Unfortunately, audio games cannot really support a full-time job, as you have pointed out earlier.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2014-05-07 21:52:10

Making good progress...possibly a first version tonight, stil with a synth voice but open for feedback before I send the lines to Sapphire the voice actress.

Still not sure about the achievements and highscores sections, I can't get SAPI to narrate anything because it's a flash game and voices for those sections would be a lot of lines.

2014-05-08 09:29:52

Well, you can include SAPI to read achievements and highscores sections where the rest will be spoken normally.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2014-05-08 10:36:08

Hi,
What is dynamic about the achievements and the highscores menu?
I assume the numbers are dynamic, but it is pretty easy to write something that reads numbers based on prerecorded speech. You will need files from zero to ten, then from twenty to ninety (twenty, thirty, forty, etc), and lastly hundred, thousand and possibly million.
You should have around 23 files in total. Let me know if you need help with this!
The achievements should be also pretty easy: a list of all the achievements, e.g. complete the eighth level in story mode, and a status, such as achieved or pending.
As @Seal said, it is fine if these are narrated using a prerecorded sapi voice. To make things faster, you could use something that can record in bulk, such as DSpeech

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2014-05-08 15:33:16

Yeah rob I've already done the dynamic number thing for highscores
And yeah, it's true I could do the achievements with SAPI if it's too many lines for the VA, good point.
Alright I'll do that.  It's progressing really well. I'll keep you updated.

2014-05-08 15:50:27

Hi Evildog,

ok, I think we have to agree to disagree here. For me, being blind in a game is nowhere near neccessary to make it logical in some way, and certainly it's not fun. But we'll see what comes out of this.

2014-05-08 17:42:48

Tikki I agree that you're wrong, no just kidding haha
In any case, I'll see what I can do to make my future games accessible for you guys
And Tthe blind swordsman in multiplayer would be awesome the way I imagine it.
Ok, back to working on adapting the blind swordsman.

2014-05-08 18:07:14

Hi evildog, great to see that this will be a stand alone game and adapted for us. I am very interested in games myself. Will the next games you make have a single Player mode as well? And will they be available as .exe files for downloading like TBS as well? That would be great and interesting to me, since I like playing in single Player against the Computer. I am not the Kind of Person wich likes playing online so much. Thank you for the great work you put into this, Keep it up.

2014-05-08 18:42:22

I'm not sure it will have single player to be honest, but I think so, I find that making a good AI for strategy games can be pretty hard.  But yeah I think a lot of people would play a single player and not the multiplayer so I'll do my best.

The way you play is with the mouse by clicking on units and dragging to a friendly unit to do their friendly ability or to an enemy to do their attacks, I think I can achieve that using the keyboard for blind people.

How do you guys scan an interface with the mouse to find everything? By doing just that, moving your mouse over everything?
is keyboard instructions better or voices when the mouse is over something?

2014-05-08 19:11:34

hi
when I can tri this game?
thanks

2014-05-08 19:15:27

Check the original post for the link, I'm still working on the adapted version for blind people. I'll post a link here when it's ready.

2014-05-08 20:39:46

Evil-Dog wrote:

How do you guys scan an interface with the mouse to find everything? By doing just that, moving your mouse over everything?
is keyboard instructions better or voices when the mouse is over something?

If a program is not accessible using just the keyboard, screen readers usually have some kind of second review cursor which uses the mouse. In those cases, the mouse is moved just like the normal text cursor, by line, word, character, etc. For games, the mouse is only really used for aiming, and for now it's only left/right. The keyboard works much better for strategy games. In games like soundRTS, the map is divided into squares like in battleship (a1, b1, b2, etc), and you move between them with arrow keys, then when you're on a square you want you can use tab to move through various units and targets you can work with.
HTH

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2014-05-08 20:51:59

Yeah, that's probably how I'd do it, select the unit by number, do the action by number, select the target by number again or something like that.
Something smart in any case.

2014-05-09 00:05:50

I agree on this, a game driven by the mouse only would be interesting. Or you make it optional, so the Player can decide what is prefered for playing, mouse or Keyboard, or possibly a game Controller like a game pad or something. That would be another possibility.

2014-05-09 00:35:32

I'd agree for a strategy game with a grid or movement involved but our game is simpler, the strategy lies in combining your unit's abilities and trying to handle the enemy units in a smart way.  With the game design in mind, I think keyboard controls would not only fit well, it would be extremely efficient, even for sighted players.

2014-05-09 01:57:40

Hey guys! Here's a first version of The Blind Swordsman for the visually impaired, the game still has all the synth voices, which are quite bad in my opinion and which are to be replaced by a voice actress once we all agree it's working well.  I'd just like you guys to give it a test run and give me feedback on the adaptation and give me suggestions to improve it if you have any, not things like add this or that game mode or change the gameplay, but on the audio game adaptation itself.  We can discuss adding to the game itself later.

I did do the highscores and achievements sections, credits, controls help and all that good stuff so check it out! And let me know
Here's the link
http://evildogserver.com/theblindswords … rdsman.exe

2014-05-09 05:37:12

hi
this game very very good
thanks

2014-05-09 05:42:47

Thanks sswwaaiikkee, give me some feedback on usability if you have any.

2014-05-09 07:49:03

please
help
I don't no what I have to do finally level?
thanks

2014-05-09 07:50:04

its pretty good. But I hate how i have to complete the story to do survival. I am on level 9 and when the knight does his third attack I cant dodge it.

:D happy to help out with games and the like... maybe :D

2014-05-09 08:12:37

I'll leave the figuring out the enemies to you guys haha sighted people have the same challenge here, but if you have feedback on the adaptation for blind people, let me know, if all is good after a few days i'll have the voices recorded by a voice actress.

2014-05-10 20:52:34

Hi,

just tried the new version, and it's just great. Thanks for that! It's so cool to have spoken menues in this game. I'm really looking forward to the human spoken menues. Thanks for all your work and keep it up! smile

2014-05-10 20:58:24

Glad you like it smile Waiting for some more feedback then I'll have the voices redone by the voice actress.