2014-05-06 02:04:59

Without giving too much spoilers you'd play as the warlock in the sequel wink
And yeah, could mix it up in other game modes yeah.

2014-05-06 07:39:46

Great to see sequel is coming and planning! and to see another developer here!

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2014-05-06 08:09:27

I wouldn't say a sequel is coming but we have the idea for it, maybe next year hehehe for now I'll work on the blind swordsman, I should have a playable version for you guys by the end of this week.  Possibly with synthetized voices but possibly voice acted too. We'll see if my female voice actress is up for it.
I'll keep you updated!

2014-05-06 14:11:30

Hi,
Wow, a lot of things to comment on! big_smile

First, welcome on the forums! Thanks for joining and replying, and also for making the game more accessible to us.

Regarding blindness, I was never offended by anyone, in fact, I was feeling pity for them for not being well-informed about the advantages and disadvantages of blindness. In a game, people tend to be less offended, and crude it may sound, if they are offended, it's their loss! Lol.

Regarding audio games, I would also say rpg and strategy is lacking, although we have more strategy games than rpgs.

And of course, The blind swordsman. It is amazing, somewhat easy to beat imho, but challenging and the voicework is fantastic. Especially the voice of the Blind Swordsman. I really love the epic cutscenes and the detailed sounds as well.
What could be improved is the music and the cutscenes. If possible, even if it doubles the game size, stereo would be very nice!
Regarding battles, especially in survival mode, variety would make the game a lot more challenging. At the moment, if you've figured out the attack type of each enemy, the battles become a chore you must do to get one achievement, rather than something you earn.
Varying the attack speed, possibly attack type, changing the parry and the attack frames could really make you sweat smile

The story mode is really great though, and defeating the warlock is quite satisfying, although a bit disappointing because by the time you can hit him, you wish you could hit him as many times as you want, lol.
Despite all my negativity, it is only my inner complaining, the game is quite enjoyable once you figure out which button is which in the menus big_smile

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2014-05-06 15:13:53 (edited by Evil-Dog 2014-05-06 15:21:16)

Oh yeah totally, as standalone exe for you guys, I'll jack the sound quality much higher don't worry smile For flash games you want them small but for a standalone, no problem there smile

And yeah I could definitely spice up the survival mode.  Bring in the archers in there and horsemen and all that.  Mix up their charge speed and add their other behaviors like dodges and hops like the dagger bitches.

And you know what would be amazing? a multiplayer mode hahaha
I have an idea for it

Seems like everyone agrees on RPGs

2014-05-06 15:33:12

Definitely rpgs, and like I said the occasional classic beat em up would be nice as well. We have a few of them but a lot of them have a little too much spice to them... Bokurano Daibouken is probably the most complex but has so many weapons it's mind-boggling. lol A good ol Final Fight style beat em up would be great... simple theme, but a great atmosphere and fighting system is what I'd like to see at some point. But rpgs first! big_smile

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-05-06 15:41:41

Yeah but that's my question, how would you play a Final Fight style game? It has depth of movement and you need to walk to enemies and stuff, how do you do that without seeing?

2014-05-06 16:13:53

yeah I understand sound placement, but final fight has a depth, like double dragon, where you don't walk left and right only, you have to line up with enemies vertically as well, not just get close enough. I wonder how that could be presented with audio.

One of my next games is a rpg battle game, I could adapt it for the vision impaired so it's playable.

2014-05-06 16:20:08

What kind of rpg battle were you thinking? Just curious. And as for lining up with enemies, that would be a little harder to try and convey purely via audio... my best idea right now would probably be to either just not have that and only have it in the style of games like shank where it's purely a left and right game, or have beeps or some other audio cue that signified enemies at a different range. And if attacks were to be angled, they could jut have a specific sound for that specific attack. Say an enemy leaps off a roof above you with a leaping kick... for a game in my mind, that would sound different than just a simple straight kick on the ground. Probably a more dramatic whoosh since the air displacement would be greater. something like that.

2014-05-06 16:32:45

Like old final fantasy games, turn based fantasy battles, but the game isn't an RPG in itself.  No story or anything, it's more like a level up game where you do those old school battles, get loot, XP, monster collect, etc

So if i could integrate SAPI in there, I could do blind controls and spoken rewards etc

2014-05-06 16:48:27

Oh right, I thought yeah readers go too fast but no, you actually want it faster, awesome! hahaha

And yeah you're right, could be done with pitched noises to indicate relative height. As well as a cue when you're lined up with that enemy.  Or something like that.

2014-05-06 16:48:32

Hi,
@Evil-Dog: The classic, 2d audio solution for this is the following:
Left and right is represented by the left and right channels, respectively. Back and front is represented by volume, with a lower pitch when the opponent is behind you. Sometimes, pitch is quite hard to notice though, in which case you can have an additional sound cue when an enemy is behind you (extra wind, a very soft drum sound that mixes with the music, etc).
If you do not wish to use sound cues or pitch, you can have a sonar-like thing, which loops a sound when you are in range. Of course the sonar is going to somewhat ruin the game atmosphere.
Things start to get harder if you add a 3rd dimension, i.e. up and down. In this case a hotkey could tell you the location of the nearest enemy, e.g. above and left, etc.
The best solution is full 3d sound of course, with appropriate environmental fx/reverb, etc. Capable sound libraries are, however, very rare, the Miles Sound System being perhaps the only viable, but sadly way too expensive choice. If only Microsoft'd have kept the hardware acceleration layer for DirectX... sad

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2014-05-06 16:57:45 (edited by Evil-Dog 2014-05-06 17:02:40)

Yeah that's interesting sound design advice...I did that in The Blind Swordsman, left, right, distance, front, back, using slight echo, EQs, volume, panning, etc...there's certainly ways to design a beat em up wisely to be playable.

You know what would be awesome, MULTIPLAYER MECH BATTLES FOR BLIND PEOPLE in a future where polution, mutation, radiation, whatever made everyone blind, they're still waging wars, it would totally justify the use of radars and sensors and all kinds of instruments to tell you where enemies are and what attacks are good options and stuff
And it would sound awesome being in a big mech warrior smile

2014-05-06 17:04:34

And good news, my voice actress is gonna do the interface narrations for the blind swordsman

2014-05-06 17:24:56

Hi Evildog,

sounds great what you are planing. Id love to play this battle rpg you mentioned, I always liked Final Fantasy, one reason for that being the turn based battles. And even if this one wouldn't have much of a story, I'd love to play it. There would be time for a full RPG with a story later, which I'd also really like.

The plans for the sequel to the blind swordsman sound great to, I hope you'll do it.

Regarding the mech game, I really never was into all this mech thing. Besides, I don't really get why so many developers want to integrate blindness into their game stories. Just make a game in audio which sighted people would play all the same if it have graphics in them please? I don't get why audiogames should have a blindness story all the time, just because the game has no graphics. Games like Shadowline or Swamp or even a basic sidescroller like Super Liam can do witout this blindness thing.
It's not that I find it offensive, I just don't get why it should be needed. And I really would like to have a game, for example an RPG, which just sounds like a RPG for sighted players would sound, just with spoken menues and some audio ques. But I'm already blind in real life, I don't have to be blind in the games I play.

2014-05-06 17:27:11

Hell yeah! Could be a lot of fun, you start getting fired at, alarms go on, you trigger your sensors, reroute energy to your shield, turn to ward the enemies, warm your weapons while you get in position and stuff like that haha
Most of my upcoming games are multiplayer so I could fiddle with the idea on the side hehe
Same with The Blind Swordsman multiplayer, I have good ideas for it

2014-05-06 17:31:03 (edited by robjoy 2014-05-06 17:33:01)

Kudos to her! What sort of an interface do you have in mind? Just wondering...
Oh man, you really got me thinking now smile How about an infiltration-based, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon-like game, with all the future tech... I'd be actually happy with a Crisis-like shooter as well, lol. Especially if it had rpg elements (upgradable armour, weapons, xp-based tactical reinforcements and intel...)!
BTW, this is really funny, because Aprone, one of the sighted devs who chose to join us and stayed, had tons of FPS requests. Now that Swamp is out, everyone's happy and the rpg-people can follow... Lol.
Seriously though, I have a lot of things planned, even though I'm not sighted, but the only thing I need is time and possibly other developers. But that's my story, which is not interesting, not in this topic anyways. smile

A multiplayer TBS is an interesting idea... Perhaps you could have the warlock and TBS going head to head, whoever dropping out last would win the game.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2014-05-06 17:33:18

Tikki I understand what you're saying and I agree, rpgs wouldn't need blindness, or any other game that you wanna adapt for blind people.  I just always strive to make my games relevant and have a fitting context, like you don't need all these sound cues and narrations and sensors if the characters in the game and the players can see just fine. That's what I mean, when I think of game ideas I really wanna make it as a fitting whole. Not have mechanics slapped on top of it just for the heck of it.  So here we're talking games, and if I'm having ideas here, they're surely be about focused on the idea of being blind and still playing, to me that makes a lot more sense than making a graphical games adapted for blind people. That's a reduction of the experience, instead of making it a full experience with blindness at the core of it.

2014-05-06 17:42:02 (edited by Evil-Dog 2014-05-06 17:48:59)

Rob the interface she'll narrate is for The Blind Swordsman, so just explaining the controls, how to navigate the menus and saying what part of the menu you're in and whats the current selection, etc

And it impresses me that you're all asking for games I would never think blind people could play haha that's awesome!

And I don't have time to be your teacher, but if you have questions, about programming, game dev or whatever, you can ask me on skype at marco.arsenault

2014-05-06 18:05:53

Hi,

ok, some would think you have to have blindness in an audiogame to have I context. I think it's absolutely not needed, several audiogames we have don't need it either. The narrative and ques are just there, noone who plays audiogames asks why, because it's perfectly logical. It's just like a sighted player wouldn't ask why the graphics are there.

2014-05-06 18:06:04

Gimme a mech battle game and I'd take it any day! Definitely agree with bladestorm about the customizability... that'd be awesome to see as well. Gundam extreme vs is one of my favorite ps3 games... even though I haven't quite figured out all the ins and outs to make it at least partially playable.

2014-05-06 18:09:01

Also, Rob has some interesting audio design points... and ones that I like as well. But I think bokurano Daibouken has it right with the combination of an object locator menu where you can get a grasp on your surroundings as well as volume shifts for when objects or enemies are above or below you. An optional sonar like the one bladestorm suggested would be good as well, imo.

2014-05-06 18:12:18

@Evil-Dog:

We NEED YOU HERE! haha. When i am reading tyough this topic and finding your next ideas i am more and more impressed. Audio gaming scene isn't loaded with great titles comparable to video games.
I am waiting for this Battle RPG. i am big fan of J-RPGs.
Beat em ups are nostalgic for me and years ago, I played and spend a lot o hours in the arcades on games like cadillacs and sinosaurs, Stret fighter, D&D or my favourite the punisher.

I also plyaed FF XIII but sadly it isn't fully playable sadly. Big part of the game is, because it's really linear and most of games hate it and for us is advantage lol

I am also have nice ideas regarding audio games, sound design or voice acting but my VO talent isn't greatest lol

The problem is to find  devs as always.

@Rob: I'll kick your ass in Blind swordsman if it will be Multi player hahaha! And BTW it's the time to play some Skullgirls matches online!

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2014-05-06 18:13:30

Ahd I am the one who completed shank, really great game with fine combo system. I always wanted to play A devil may cry style of game in 2d!

Cheers

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2014-05-06 18:23:36

Tikki I totally understand what you're saying.  All I'm saying is that when I think of games that are playable blind, I'd go that extra mile and make it really blind, with blindness at the core of it.  Otherwise we fall back to just making normal games playable by blind people, like I'm doing with The Blind Swordsman (even though it has blindness in it) or like I would do with the rpg battle game or any normal game I would do where I do the extra effort to make it playable with audio only. 

As a game designer, the exciting part is really making a game using the full extent of playing blind, naturally to me, that makes me think of concepts where you're actually blind.   Like if you play a game where you're not blind in the game but you have all these audio cues and mechanics to play blind, that's just odd to me, with sounds that shouldn't be there and mechanics that shouldn't be there either.  I'd rather have a game where you're blind and everything makes sense in the story and in the presentation, where the sounds come from physical places in the game, where instructions are given because in the story you'd need them.  Like with a mech battle game where everyone is blind, you'd have instruments in your cockpit MADE for blind people, MADE to see without eyes, that's fun to me, But hey that's just me, probably cause I'm sighted and being blind is special and for you it's normal.