2024-03-17 16:53:16

As reported by Can I Play That The Vale: Shadow of the Crown has been released on PlayStation and Switch consoles.

2024-03-17 17:01:43

Woo its about time! I already have this on steem but maybe I'll get switch version for portability.

2024-03-17 18:13:53

This would be better news if they let you configure your controls. Their current scheme of using the analog sticks to do all the actions is so uncomfortable for me on the dualshock style controllers. I wish they would let you use D-Pad and face buttons, but so far as I know, they never added that in to the game.

Spill chuck you spots!

2024-03-17 19:11:34

Wow, it took that long for them to port it to the Play dump and the Kids toy switch.  At least they going to make a bit more money, maybe they will come out with a new game soon.

2024-03-17 19:24:27

@3, You can use the D pad and face buttons for menu navigation but that's it.

2024-03-17 19:34:13

Hey at least they aren't charging anything extra for it. Remember when a western drama came out for those consoles and they bumped up the cost? Unlike that one, this is actually worth it in my opinion.

2024-03-17 22:51:24

@4 are you ever satisfied with anything? I mean really all I've ever seen you do is bitch.

2024-03-18 09:21:00

Hi.
This is so awesome. I look forward to play it on my ps5.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2024-03-18 13:22:07

Just got the PlayStation version to support the developer. I am on PS five. I wonder if the intended vibration feedback will work properly. Seeing as I have played the last of us part two‘s PS4 version on the PS five and it wasn’t optimized, this will be interesting. I will probably also download this on my PS4.

I love audio games.

2024-03-18 15:37:23

Vibration works fine, and the load times aren't bad.
I do wish they made a PS5 version with the adaptive triggers and enhanced vibrations, but I'm not being too picky. It's nice to see that the game is available there.

2024-03-19 11:07:50 (edited by jacerbt 2024-03-19 13:25:11)

I'm probably going to pick up the switch version even though I got it on itch and steam already. I'm wondering how the whole walk slowly thing will work since the switch joysticks don't have nearly as much motion as any xbox or playstation style ones. I guess I might want to get a pro controller and play in table top or tv modes.

2024-03-23 14:03:51

Honestly, did the creators of this game never think about implementing a subtitle system for people who don't speak English?  Well, not to mention that the English in this game is very strange.  Even though the blind drive's subtitle system is not accessible, we still managed to take advantage of it

once upon a time, a beautiful little girl who wore a beautiful red hood.  while she was passing through a forest, she was killed by Captain America.  The end...

2024-03-23 14:57:37

I didn't understand so much of it, I wish subtitles were available

2024-03-24 00:45:35

I understand the entire game’s dialogue just fine.

I love audio games.

2024-03-24 01:04:38

@14, That's you. People who don't speak English as a first language may not be able to.

2024-03-24 09:04:31

15. yes. this is the reason

2024-03-24 10:20:22 (edited by Dark 2024-03-24 10:21:40)

Can't speak to the translation debate, but while I'm glad the game is out on more platforms for people, I really wish the devs would get off their collective rears and come up with a sequel!

So far, not one of these audio rich first person adventure games , with the exception of the somethinelse games on Ios, blind legend, echoes of livia, , even A western drama or terraformers, has ever had a sequel which expands upon  their gameplay or story.

They always go the same way, first person navigation in audio is treated as if it's a unique feature, stereo, static combat of the hear and react variety, great acting, great environments and often a semi-decent story.

But that is as far as they go!

The sighted community says: "Oh how wonderful! A video game without video, I've never heard of such a thing! " Then goes straight back to the latest tripple A game.

The audiogaming community goes: "Combat is too easy! I completed this the day I got it! Why can't we have good games like sighted people have!"

The developers  always say: "We were targeting this at people new to audiogames, so the difficulty had to be easy!"

and nothing ever happens until the next time!

The games aren't bad, they usually sound amazing and have pretty decent story and acting, but we just see the same pattern repeating again and again!

The Vale actually had several plot elements that could be expanded to a second instalment, the fey warr and more on the other world and Alex's powers particularly, and if a second game did come out, there would be an excuse to expand the gameplay, maybe have a bit more free-form combat, maybe let you do a bit more questing, maybe have different weapons that changed more than just your hp and degree of fatigue.

Don't get me wrong, I've played through the vale twice, once on normal, once on hard and enjoyed it both times, but why in the name of almighty King Kong's gigantic hairy back side! Can't we actually see a sighted dev studio with a decent sized budget make one of these projects and actually:  Move! Forward! For! Once!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2024-03-24 16:58:11

The only way to play The Vale is on hard. Hard is still easy mode.
I just finished a playthrough on hard after a long time. Now I'll have to do my rags to riches run again. Spending no copper unless absolutely required (which means only buying the beginner bow). Actually, you might not even need to buy the bow, though I wonder if that would lock you out of the hunting missions. The idea is to have the highest possible amount of copper by game's end. No weapon, armour, shield, or bow upgrades. You just play with the rusty sword and the barrel lid. It's great fun!

Spill chuck you spots!

2024-03-24 17:09:25

@17, I agree with this.
The Vale is not a bad game, but there are things they could've done differently.
The first problem I have is that the game holds your hand way too much.
It's good for people that are new to the world of audio games, but they should've given us the option to disable the tutorial prompts if we want.
As for the combat, I do wish we weren't limited to the standard Bop It style that most audio games use, I will say that Falling Squirrel made one of the best combat systems using this style.
Unlike other games that use this system, I like that you can't just spam attacks in a given direction. You actually have to time your attacks and be careful not to overdo things.

2024-03-24 17:44:22

@Rich_Beardsley, the  Vale's combat wasn't bad, but even using that system you've could've made matters more itneresting and dynamic, EG allowing you to use the bow on the world map and introduce stealth attacks.
also, why the hell is progress always bloody linear and lacking in exploration?

If you used the vale's navigation system, it wouldn't be hard to create a set of inter-connected rooms with exits in the four walls, some of which were locked! Just introduce a door sound, give the player a compass to check which exit was being used, and lock a few of them and voila!

Yet, all of these first person adventures treat first person audio navigation as though it was some sort of obstacle in the game, rather than a simple mechanic, and just finding your way to an npc in the village was some sort of task!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2024-03-24 18:04:34

Sequel idea: Alex gets summoned to the future by her distant descendants and must unravel the mystery behind a plague causing the people of the land to go berserk. With newly acquired plasma sword  laser gun and infrared vision visor, she will traverse wild environments spanning horizontal and vertical planes. Undoubtedly, she will at some point acquire a grapling hook to help scale those perilous ledges, and a jetpack to prevent her from plummeting to her death when used in a timely manner.

2024-03-24 19:56:08

@Kenshira, I can see it now!  Vale troid, shadow of the Krade! IN which the daring galactic bounty hunter Alex arran, must stop the diabolic plans of the space raiders, infiltrate  their massive underground base on planet Sheep, and defeat their leader, the evil uncle brain!

Sorry, out of game experience big_smile.