2020-08-06 17:21:40

Hi everyone,
Just a simple question from me, just wondering what service meets the needs of the most people. I'd be interested to read your thoughts on the matter, whether it be Dropbox, OneDrive, SharePoint, or even Resilio Sync and also why you like that service.
Thanks in advance.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-08-06 17:39:14

I've had luck with backblaze.  I've never had to do a full restore from it though.  If you don't have upload speed Dropbox is probably your best bet; the incremental solutions eat bandwidth like candy.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-08-06 17:42:38

I'm using google drive. It's only advantage is that it's a bit cheaper, their  official apps aren't that good, but when I have total commander, I won't worry about that. What I like to have in a cloud storage is a feature similar to files on demand in onedrive. Dropbox has that as well, but it's in the pro plan which is expensive and not worth it. Direct links are also useful, but google drive does not have that feature. There are tricks to get direct links from cloud services like dropbox or  onedrive; Even google drive had one, but it doesn't work anymore because of their antivirus. I think the only provider which gives direct links officially is BOX. I've had the worst experience ever with their windows app but they give FTP access which makes things a little better.

:)

2020-08-06 18:25:21

I used to like Dropbox because I could use it to stream music in playroom. I still use it but it has too little space so Google drive is OK. Right now i use degoo, which gives you 100 gigs of free space for free, and you can unlock more by watching ads. They only ask that you check in at least once every year i think, in order for you to keep your files. Of course you can subscribe for more perks as well.

2020-08-06 18:44:20 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-08-06 18:45:29)

I mean, I've currently got OneDrive thanks to my M365 subscription, but I guess there is better in the market. Do you think i should stick with my 1TB of OneDrive or use a dedicated service?
@camlorn, "incremental solutions"?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-08-06 19:02:16

I use backblaze, myself. For servers I use tarsnap.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-08-06 19:12:50

Any Mega users on here?
I mainly use it to keep stuff in sync between my computers. I also use syncthing but those are for folders I regularly throw on my external anyway.
For $5 a month you basically get 400 gb and its enough for what I use it for.

2020-08-06 19:17:41

@6
For servers I'd suggest getting onto a provider that can do scheduled snapshots and calling it a day, if you can.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-08-06 19:24:23

@NevEd, I used to use Mega, but it kinda cons you out of 35GB. Basically, it says it give you 50GB outa the box, which sounds amazing right? What you (at least) I didn't know, Mega has a system of temporary upgrades where they'll give you free storage for refers and that kind of thing, but unlike literally anyone else I could find, those upgrades are taken away from you after a certain point. For example, that 35GB I was talking about lasts for a month, then gets removed as it's know as, "a registration bonus". I'd be at least okay with this, but the fact that it isn't transparent right from the get-go turned me away, plus the fact that it has a system like this in the first place. That being said, everything else just looked a bit on the expensive side.

2020-08-06 21:06:31

To be honest I have been toying with keybase at least for a public and semi private share with 250gb of storage.
Its not a complete backup but good for an on demand share.
The catch is while it appears its fine on the mac, the windows client is a total fucking mess with unlabeled buttons and links.
I like the idea of keybase being an online file system.
But yeah, even though I have unlimited bandwidth, who knows.
I am still in the market for something that will backup, ie, a software that will.
1.  do a full system backup to a drive of a drive and maybe select user folders on another drive and keep each updated on every incert of that drive.
Obviously it needs to track things somehow.
Or modify a already setup drive with data with stuff from the drives and folders I put into it.
I need this for a workstation which has a data drive and some other folders on the system drive used by my dad.
It needs to be simple, secure and low cost.
I have the drives so yeah.
I need it to be accessible from the point of view that if it needs to track and monitor things, I will want to have ways to control it, ie, if I am doing admin things for example for system files I may want to pause it, turn it off, etc, especially if I download and delte temperary downloads etc.
I need it to be usable by the sighted and blind and I need it not to use massive performance. while its working and idoling.
Obviously there will be some, however I have had times in the past where the system uses so much power it crashes out the entire system and after I get a sightling to varify its complete I need to reboot the system completely to get it to work.
I have also had some of those fluffy hard drive manufacturer backup programs while  they did do what they did, used all resorses just simply running.
I had to uninstall all of it, clear its data then reformat just  to get rid of all the space filling junk it put in windows.
It wasted a lot of time and made the system almost unusable while doing so.
I want something to just work.
Oh and if it does all this I need  it to be secure, I don't want someone able to lift the backup database and read it or anything.

2020-08-06 21:14:23 (edited by MyDearWatson 2020-08-06 22:20:02)

Lol!
Got my .edu account with unlimited Google Drive storage. I love it. That's the sole reason why I am still keeping that account. They even let me use it after I've finished my college.
Edit: Yes, I know that admins can see the data, but I don't have anything accept study notes, books, audio books, and then more books to store in my clowd storage. I can even get away with backing up my entire system as it's one of the Google Drive's own feature.

2020-08-06 21:34:01 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-08-06 21:35:34)

@crashmaster, I've also toyed with Keybase, but the Windows client just made me turn my head, and since Windows is my only computer OS, well...
@MyDearWatson, Lucky. My school set us up GSuite accounts, but I don't want to use my school account for non-school reasons as I'm pretty sure admins can just see what's in there, that or they could just log into my account, or something like that. Either way, I'd like not to find out.

2020-08-06 21:52:36 (edited by quanin 2020-08-06 21:53:15)

I let each service do what it's good at. For backups, Backblaze, and for my server, B2. I also have FileZilla Pro, so a full restore for this system is as simple as stuff it in a B2 snapshot, then pull it down via SFTP. Already had to do it a couple times for other machines.

For on-demand data storage, a combination of Dropbox and OneDrive depending on what I'm doing with that data. The contents of my actual hard drive, IE: the stuff I have no reason to give anyone else access to, gets put in OneDrive. Everything else, Dropbox. My long-term goal is to eventually get my Dropbox down to 2 GB so I can stop paying them, since as a Microsoft 365 subscriber MS gives me a 1 TB add-on to go with my free 1 TB for exactly the same price as Dropbox. I ordinarily wouldn't bother, but see, when your primary machine sports a 256 GB SSD and you've got 1+ TB of data you need access to, creativity is king.

I've also recently been told about Servarica, but haven't actually looked into them yet. Mostly because I don't entirely know what I'd do with 8 TB of online data storage. If I ever find a use for them though, I'm quite sure I'll abuse the hell out of that as much as my other services.

2020-08-06 22:30:01

I use the dropbox 2 tb, it used to be 1 tb, plan.

I don't need more at the moment and if I do, I can always turn as much of my audio into MP3s as I can.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-08-06 23:00:12

I just recently switch from Dropbox to OneDrive. i figured since I am already paying for Office 365, i might as well take advantage of the 1 TB of storage. I will probably never fill it though since most of my documents are written in markdown. i just convert them to docx format when i need to send them to other people.

2020-08-07 00:08:17

Yeah, I guess OneDrive will serve me good for a long time more. Like 15, I don't think I'll fill up all that space for a while, but it's nice to have for sure.

2020-08-07 14:53:36

Hello,

I got 5TB of OneDrive space, and an edu account of Google Drive, both for $5 on eBay.
I no longer worry about storage.

Wanna chat? Hit me up on Telegram – it's the best way! Discord works too if you catch me there (StormProductions). If all else fails, just drop me an email at [email protected]. You’ve got options!

2021-02-04 21:35:07 (edited by Nikole234 2021-02-07 11:48:22)

I use Google Drive. Though it seems to be a secure way to store data, I backup my email letters on my hard drive. There are many great tools that allow doing this, but I like Email Detail Archive the most. It is super fast and simple and helps me to make copies of my letters as PDF files. Moreover, it is convenient to have all the necessary email letters on my computer as I can work even when there is no Internet connection.

2021-02-04 22:19:39

@StormProductions, Um, how the hell did you get those 5 TB of OneDrive space?

2021-02-04 22:20:20 (edited by Zarvox 2021-02-04 22:22:58)

I use Keybase, because I don't want to pay for extra storage. I already have a 4 tb external drive, and plus my local drive is only 256 gb, so there wouldn't be much point in paying for google drive or dropbox. I'm no where near the 256 mark. But I'm glad Keybase is a network drive, as not only does it give me an additional 250, but for my friends it is the easiest way for us to transfer data, as we don't have to worry about people's space limits. Well, eventually we may if we add enough, but it will take awhile. I was previously using a 70 gb local drive, so you can see how big of a difference this is for me lol.

2021-02-04 22:31:44

I would say open drive for me

Sound designer and music producer.

2021-02-05 07:25:54

Usually, I use Google Drive free 15GB, and Dubox free for 1TB

2021-02-05 10:42:03

yeah, google drive all the way. I have a free, regular google account, however I didn't fill the storage limit yet, so I'm good for now.

2021-02-05 13:52:35

I just use Onedrive since I have 5 tb of it, I also have unlimited Google drive with the Team drive thing, but I don't like it so I am holding onto Microsoft, it is fast, easy to manage and easy to share stuff.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2021-02-05 14:29:54

I am also using OneDrive, since I am paying for the office monthly 365 subscription, so why not use onedrive also?
It's not even half way full at all.
And our univercity also gave us an extra onedrive account, so there's another 1 TB if i need it...
And then google drive, but the free plan, but i am not actually using it for storing data on any more, but i did in the passt.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.