2020-11-01 15:31:49

hello!
I was discussing this question with my Chinese friebnd very thoroughly yesterday, yet we didnt go to any conclusions.
In your opinion, what are the reasons of this game unpopularity in the West?
I would list my suspicions here, yet all of them are very easily defended.
*1. Language barrier: 1942 is in Chinese. Yet people do play Japanese games, even though they are not in english as well.
*2. The requirement of Locale Emulator: Well, again, people did use LE or before LE Application Locale to play Japanese games like the text games of Morok8uma.
*3. Difficulty: many people havent even tried the game, so I dont know whether this reason is valid.
*4. Setting: some people might not like the anti-japanese setting of 1942.
Are any of these the reason why you haven't tried the game? If no, write your own!

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-11-01 15:38:37

The fourth reason is the reason why I haven’t tried it and I don’t wanna mess with like five other pieces of software to play this and plus most Chinese games are paid to win it seems

2020-11-01 15:43:42 (edited by mastodont 2020-11-01 15:44:47)

To be honest, I tried the game and liked it. In fact, I tried many japanese and chinese games but didn't play them for long, didn't even finish them because of the language barrier. I think I finished one or two levels in 1942 before giving up. What I mean by language barrier is that I can't stand translations made by google translate. Horrible grammar and sentences that have no sense or are hard to understand are just a few examples of how bad google translate is. If there was a translation made by a human, which would let me enjoy the game and really get into it's atmosphere without trying to make sense of what's displayed I would deffinitely play it. Until then though it's a deffinite no. I just don't feel like I am playing a game, I am not drawn into the game's atmosphere because the translation is so weird and unintuitive that it grabs my attention preventing me from focusing on it.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2020-11-01 15:47:54

@2, 1942 is a single-player game.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2020-11-01 16:05:13

none above, actualy, I do like the game but umm maybe yeah, the difficulty. then again I don't think I force my brain to work hard the last time I played the game. I like this one more than the other strategy game, I forget the name. oh yeah, no combat log.

2020-11-01 16:06:46

Because the game came out at a time where I had real life things going on, stuff like my final exams came around together with the 4 month work project we had to do, my mind was pritty much focused on that and I didn't have the nerve to get myself into a strategy game.
Nowadays, I am busy with searching a flat, moving over and get into work, so I might have some time on my hand to try it out, but I don't know yet.

I don't mind messing around with lokale emulator if the game is worth it, and as far as I have seen it, it does sound like a neat game to pick up and bite into.

I won't go and mension your less than neutral guide in the off topic room that was edited.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-11-01 16:22:45

Reasons 1 and 2 are why I haven't tried any Chinese or Japanese games. Actually I barely play any games these days. It's just a lack of enough free time. The concept did sound very interesting though, I would have definitely tried it if it was less time and effort to.

2020-11-01 16:23:11 (edited by Dakonna 2020-11-01 16:25:14)

You have to press one key to e.G. get the status about the character you're focussed on. Then, you press another key to copy that info so you can translate it. Then, you press a third key to translate that output. Nope, not interested. Get out. if a chinese speaker can press one button and instantly hear all the info, why should I press 3 of them for the same result? Yup, I'm lazy as fuck. Deal with it. The hacks currently used for chinese game translation are never intuitive like jgt is. Jgt just works, you load it, sign in, and you never have to worry about anything again as long as your net is fine. The two chinese games I played for a significant amount of time were rotk and Dreamland, because they had translations that didn't require you to press 420000 different keys to get the text you want!

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-11-01 16:25:42

Probably language barrier is the biggest issue for me in terms of any Chinese or Japanese games for that matter. When I play, I expect to fully understand what is going on, what details I need to focus on, and feel the emotions of the main character, etc.

I choose to be happy

2020-11-01 17:02:12 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2020-11-01 17:20:43)

Reasons 1, and 2. If someone made a cgt addon then maybe. I did use jgt to put hundreds of hours into shadow line after all. Also worth considering is the fact that this game quite literally has the same name as an arcade vertically scrolling shooter by capcom. If you do a search for 1942 gameplay on youtube, you will get footage of capcomz's game, so having a unique name might help.

Edit: I just tried doing that search, and, yeah. I got arcade and nes longplays of 1942, longplays of battlefield 1942, longplays of joint strike 1942, world wor ii is a popular subject to gamify, so this game really aut to have a name that stands out.

2020-11-01 17:18:23

@8, in the latest version a new module has been added which allows to output all the text spoken by the gaem to the clipboard, plus the game is a standard Win32 so it works with a screenreader.

2020-11-01 17:25:49 (edited by defender 2020-11-01 17:26:46)

Only reason 1 for me.
Japanese is hard enough to translate into English, and Chinese seems even worse.  Plus we don't have a JGT like solution for Chinese games sadly...
This game seems like it could work better than those with allot of story though, as even JGT with Japanese games sucks for those.

The anti Japanese thing never bothered me since as far as I know, they never got hateful about it, and it's perfectly reasonable to feel that way from the Chinese point of view.  It's also just a game, not a textbook, objectivity isn't a primary concern.

I really would like to try some of these Chinese games though, it's just that I don't have the patients for bad translations.

2020-11-01 17:33:44

Hi.
Reason number 1 and 2 for me. I don't wanna mess with any local emulator after I messed up my computers language long time ago. If all those things were easier, then I would give the game a try.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-11-01 18:27:13 (edited by assault_freak 2020-11-01 18:27:56)

5th reason, because I'm not super into games like that that are primarily text-based. Reasons 1-4 don't bother me at all. Language barrier is not an issue for me, and I'm perfectly fine with people disliking certain countries because of hostorical issues, and especially in a game, I can overlook that. Same in movies. But for that kind of game I'd much rather play an RTS than have so much reading to do. Feels like I'm playing a mud with a trigger set... and that is precisely why I don't play muds a whole lot. lol

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-11-01 19:16:36

If it's just one of those with super generic content with little to no replayability and/or no randomization to give me some thrill, I guess it's not much of a thing for me. Another reason is you. Not that I say I judge games based on people but the way you overpromoting Chinese stuff makes me sick sometimes. They're just fussy, sometimes even clunky in general, at least from what I've experienced. I haven't tried online. The concept of pay to win dreads me. +Dealing with Chinese sites is a fuss. You literally need more than 3 steps to gain access to certain games. That's one of the big turnoff.
I haven't tried all of the Japanese games, only the contentful and story driven ones like Shadow Rine and a few of Morokuma's text based stuff, +bk series. And all I can say about them is they have, if not rich enough content, randomizations of something for me to grasp my thrill. The worst of what Chinese game had I've experienced first hand is the condor heroes adapted game, with literally no combat item at all but "You obtained 5 silver". Come on man. It's boring.
Something like night of parasite I'd love. But even that has no replayability once you complete it. You just know what's where and stuff...I enjoy that kind of game only when they have stories, otherwise no, bye.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2020-11-01 19:40:04

You havent played the Condor Heroes much enough, but this is not the topic about that

2020-11-01 20:09:20 (edited by matt1211 2020-11-01 20:24:32)

I think @15 said it the best. Frankly, the way people have been pushing these games at us makes me wonder what's going wrong with the blind gaming market in china. After trying some of the Chinese games and them being largely pay to win, I wonder no longer.
The bad translation thing really gets to me as well. Even with the japanese games, any that have a decent amount of story I can't really bring myself to get through; mainly due to me wondering what the hell they're trying to say. I'm usually not a fan of games that don't have a decent amount of story, so this presents an issue.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2020-11-01 20:14:37

Language barrier is one reason i never got into this, but the main reason is that World War strategy is just not my cup of tea. Language barrier applies to other Chinese and Japanese titles equally; scrambled translations make me sick. It's difficult to become immersed in a story when the translation is just plain awful. Mind you, this doesn't just apply to games; web novels and the like suffer from it as well. I tried to read the translations of the Dragon Blood novels by a famous Chinese web author, and I was left wondering  if the author was famous because he wrote novels or   if the story was really as  generic as it seemed.  the translations left a great deal to be desired; the story was fully translated, but I couldn't for the life of me understand what was so great about the novels.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2020-11-01 23:30:34

well I don't have any problems with language translation, accept that there is no grammar and centences that are stricktly none cencicle or has no meening
but the game was still cool though. I made it to level 6 and died because I didnt know what i was doing and killed my own peeple, +I got shot when the last soldger stepped to the left, anyways
cchina games arent a problem for me, accept that if there was a better way of translating these games I would definitly play them
I keep enkourraging nuno to make these games because I can play them easyly for now, accep that as I said, there will be more methuds of translation

my new youtube channel. click subscribe if you like my stuff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzL-l8 … YCkjOm3FIg

2020-11-02 00:01:45

When you translate the readme file, the developers actually step away from any sentiment against the japanese or any other group of people.
Only Nuno, who is basically the only advocate of chinese games brought anti japanese things into the hole thing, the guide in the articles room was edited upon request f the mods, but the polish guide to the game apparently still contains the deleted phrases and parts.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-11-02 00:07:56

@20 I think this is what people mean when they say his general over promotion of Chinese games. Like, as he's the face of Chinese games, it doesn't really paint a goood image on it, but idk. That could just be me.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-11-02 01:06:25

Yeah just having to press like 4 different keys to get one thing done, also just the way you had to look around for some reason didn't do it for me at all. I feel like the whole thing could have been way more intuitive? Actually that's my sentiments on basically all the Chinese games. Battle of Armageddon was a game I actually thought could be kinda fun and in some ways the first of it's kind, but the circa 1990s/early 2000s audio game design again turned me right off. I understand why some of the things ended up being the way they were, until I don't.

2020-11-02 05:02:22

trust me... i would play 1942, but just the langwij is the hardest part to get past, i don't no how to set up anything to translate, and i don't fiel like pushing 3 4 buttens like the other posts have said hear.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2020-11-02 06:11:46

Yeah. If it was in English I'd play.

2020-11-02 06:22:32

well yeah, over fanatic is bad, not sure why peapol can't think about that really... sad