2020-10-07 00:26:03

Subdragon,

If you just go to java.com, you can just download the version it gives you by default and that will work.

2020-10-07 00:42:32

Hi:

I've played around with this before, but I'll admit I don't really understand how to play the game. Can someone do a recording to demonstrate? Also, is this still being worked on?

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2020-10-07 00:49:03

zkline
when i try launching the forge executable, it sais unable to find java s e envirennnement or something like that

I am a hunter named Grunt. I didn't realize that until now.

2020-10-07 00:56:39

tayo.bethel,

It's been a while since I looked at the app, but the accessibility is still there and should still work. I just had issues with trying to improve it past a certain point and got distracted by other things. It really wasn't designed for use without a mouse.

2020-10-07 01:03:56

I think I figured out how to activate abilities. Now I managed to build my own deck with the Editor, but it doesn't appear in the preconstructed deck lists. Any idea how do I play with my own built decks?

2020-10-07 01:14:23

I did not see this game before! I will have to check it out.

I have played Magic the Gathering amongst my friends for a few years, first just brailling cards, then I started working on a python application for searching cards and playing the game. It has been a long process and it is definitely not done. It does not enforce rules,, it just keeps track of things for you in short. Giving you different zones, and providing you the ability to manipulate cards in a virtual space. It does not provide network connectivity yet, it just shows your battlefield. We would just play each other over the phone since none of us could see the battlefielld anyways, it did not matter.

I may check this project out for ideas.

2020-10-07 01:38:48

vcaparica,

THere's a separate place for user-constructed decks. If you go to the combo box which says "pre-constructed," you can choose "User-generated," or something like that, and it should be there.

2020-10-07 02:20:32

TJ.Breitenfeldt

Just be aware that this game is very much intended for play against the AI. It has multiplayer support but it's very basic compared to other clients available.

Still, I hope you enjoy it. There are 20,000-ish cards implemented.

2020-10-09 10:05:40

Hey there.
I have a little problem concerning nvda's object navigation. When ever i try to move the mouse to a certain Card or whatever, it just sit's there dooing nothing at all. Has anyone of you guys experienced the same issue and if so, have you been able to fix it?
Thanks in advance, Marcel.

2020-10-09 11:58:04

bitti,

I haven't seen this before. Are you in "Flat review," or "object review?" If you're in the former and you press NVDA-shift-M, or the desktop equivalent, sometimes your mouse doesn't move. Did you try maximizing the Forge window first?

Does this happen all the time, or just sometimes?

2020-10-09 14:24:21

@zkline
It doesn't realy matter which review mode i'm using. However, for some reason, every other application works just fine. If that changes annything, i'm running bootcamp on an 13 inch MacBook Pro. Not shure if the cause of the issue is found there.

2020-10-09 15:22:05

oh developer of forge, poster of this topic, and the answerer to all the questions, the one and only @zkline, can you, please, please, please tell me what to do here?

2020-10-09 18:43:56

bitti,

Okay, that shouldn't matter. I ran Forge on a Bootcamped Macbook Air for a long while and it was fine. Actually you might want to try running it on the actual Mac OS< in some ways that's a little easier.

For the time being, could you tell me exactly what you're doing and what you mean when you say nothing happens? Give me step-by-step keystrokes, please. It would make trying to debug this issue a lot easier.

Subdragon, I'd be happy to help. Please tell me the exact text of the error you are getting. I can't help if I don't know exactly what the computer is saying to you. The text in your previous post doesn't sound familiar to me at all.

2020-10-09 19:47:28

How do you run this on MacOS? THat's something i definitely want to try.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2020-10-09 20:02:27

You can just grab the regular snapshot from the Forge site, and run the .Jar file. THere's a script  in there to make it easier.

The one gotcha is that the menubar at the top of the window is weird with Mac Java's implementation, but otherwise it behaves reasonably well. Windows is probably easier in some ways but I've played games with both systems.

2020-10-10 01:24:12

here is what it says after i run the exe
Java Virtual Machine Launcher  dialog  Error: opening registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment'
i press ok, then
Java Virtual Machine Launcher  dialog  Error: could not find java.dll
i press enter, it says
Java Virtual Machine Launcher  dialog  Error: Could not find Java SE Runtime Environment.
after i press enter, it closes

2020-10-10 01:55:14

Subdragon,

Okay, that's weird.

Do you have a version of Java actually installed?

If so, I would remove it via (Add/Remove Programs) and try to get another one just to start from scratch.

If you don't have one installed, then you need to go to java.com and download one.

2020-10-10 11:28:25

i installed java with hotspot but it didn't work, now i am going to install the newest ver of java8 and see if it works or not

2020-10-10 11:40:52

it worked, but how to navigate this thing's ui, and what on earth is this select an avatar, coloured decks and green decks and whatever

2020-10-10 13:35:15

SubDragon,

Glad you got it working. All I can say is that a lot of the opening UI, at least, is accessible with tab, and where it isn't you can use NVDA object navigation. You'll be doing that a lot in any case.

There are basically two deck selectors, one for you and one for the AI. You can choose to get your deck from the program's list of pre-built ones, or from the internet, or randomly, or what have you. The button at the bottom of the window lets you start the game.

There are also controls near the top for choosing a Draft game, Quest mode or whatever, but these are not in the tab sequence. You'll need to use object nav to access them.

Hope this helps.

2020-10-11 09:30:26

zkline,
I believe I finally grabbed it. I've learned how to build decks, played a couple dozen matches. The only thing I couldn't do yet is to choose between cards to pick or shuffle back (such as in the Opt spell). Some other questions I would like to ask:

Is this snapshot still the latest?

When eventually the master dev branch at git.cardforge.org releases an update, say with the new Zendikar Rising set, will it be available at the snapshot link you provided at post #1? Will it keep the great accessibility improvements you made?

Also, have you or anybody here successfully played an online game? I am trying very hard on this to play with sighted people in my houses WAN, but to no success. I forwarded port 36743 in my wifi modem, then I open Forge, launch the server and send the address it gives me. We tried with both the online and the internal addresses, but the client says it's connected, yet the server doesn't say anything. Any clues on that?

Again, thanks a lot for the work you've done, I'm having a lot of fun.

2020-10-11 19:53:18

vcaparica,

I'm not sure about the latest snapshot, I believe that there's a bug in the automatic build scripts they use at the moment, so it's been a long time between releases.

That being said, any future release will have the same accessibility improvements, as they've already been merged.

I remember there was some confusion around how to pick cards for certain effects, as they opened windows without moving the focus to them. There are two UIs for doing this, as I understand it, one which is a little easier for us to use but less flexible.

I'll try to address this at some point. It would help to know which spells you were having issues with so I can set up a deck with them.

Glad it's mostly working well for you.

2020-10-11 20:06:13

You said that releases have been taking a lot of time, but the current card database covers cards up to Core Set 2021, which was released in late June 2020, not so long ago. Is there a way to update card database without new releases?

The only card that gave me this problem of choosing, up to now, is "Opt", a blue spell that lets you draw two cards, then send one to your hand and the other to your library. The interface tell me to drag cards up and down to choose, but this is a little complicated to do, I've been running on luck when I need to pick.

I've been thinking about all the fun this application has been giving me. I am not a Java programmer, but I know a bunch of them. If I eventually manage to gather some of them to help pushing forward the accessibility work you've already done, would you be willing to give them initial instructions as to how to keep improving the application's access? I know this means some work for you, and I totally understand if you're stuck with other stuff right now, but this application have given me hours of fun that I didn't get in the last 10 years, I am really interested in making this a thing to as many other blind people as I can.

2020-10-11 20:54:11

vcaparica,

To be honest I'd welcome any help other people are willing to provide. I'm not very familiar with Java in large-scale code bases like this, the work I've done is very small scale compared to what would be ideal.

That being said, there's a Forge Discord server where the developers hang out, and I'd definitely suggest anyone interested in the app join it. Here is an invite link for anyone interested. There is an #accessibility channel but it requires people with a developer role, I believe.

2020-10-11 21:13:20

Hi skline.
You have promised that you will made a recording which will present how to play this game.
I am confused abit but I want to learn bacs.