2020-07-01 18:18:52

tayo.bethel,

I think you will probably be okay. The Golden Cursor bookmarks aren't necessary, just save some time. It's possible to add/create your own. IF you position the mouse over any part of the game screen, which you can do using NVDA commands, you can add a bookmark for it.

2020-07-01 18:19:46

tayo.bethel wrote:

hI:

I'm thinking of trying this, but my screen resolution would seem to be too low; mine is 13 x768. Can I still try to run the game?

Yes, give it a try!
I think even the golden cursor hotspots will work for you
Just don't forget to maximize the client

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2020-07-01 18:21:53

thanks so much for the help Zkline, i've put the golden cursor in the right place and the positions are displayed when using the shortcut to open them with the forge window opened.
but in what cases does it help? there are numbers from 1 to 7, tab and end, but i'm still learning how to navigate constructed decks, i accidentaly went to the quest option and i'm not sure how to go back.
sorry for the ignorance and dumb questions. i'll do anything to learn the rules and play the game

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2020-07-01 18:23:44

DRG,

The bookmarks are useful when you actually get to a match. To get back from the quest screen, you need to click on "Constructed," which is one of the menu items in that same area as Quest, pUzzle, etc. In general, clicking on these expands or collapses them.

2020-07-01 18:36:05

I've not got that far. Maxed out the window, and using NVDA's left click does nothing at all. Am I missing something?

For instance, I want to activate the Planewalker mode (I know it as Planechase from the MTG videogames), so I go that and hit left click, nothing at all happens.

Am I missing something here?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2020-07-01 18:41:01

JaceK,

That is a checkbox, I believe. You can activate those the way you normally would, in addition to clicking on them. You can also use nvda-enter or tab to them and press space.

What you're missing in this case is probably routing the mouse to the place where your NVDA cursor is, with NVDA-shift-M or nada-slash. You need to generally do this to highlight cards, click on labels which don't respond properly to keyboard commands, etc. Just press nvda-shift-M or nvda-numpad-slash before you click.

2020-07-01 19:33:26

So now I got this working it is awesomely good

Also on Linux natively

2020-07-01 19:46:59 (edited by zkline 2020-07-01 20:04:33)

JaceK,

I'm glad you got it working. I've been curious about plane chase for a while but never really played a game in it.

One thing I know for sure is that the current handling of selecting cards from zones is a little confusing, the list of selectable places sometimes pops underneath the window for the main game, so it isn't obvious that something has happened. THis doesn't happen super often but I'm going to work on fixing it.

As another tip, if you get lost, always close the log window which is by far the largest area of the window. I always run with the stack window open and occasionally combat, when that phase comes up.

2020-07-01 22:11:57

Hi:

I got the game running. I didn't make it far, mostly because I didn't really understand what I was doingso the audio demo would be helpful. Really looking forward to playing this properly; this is a rare opportunity for someone with no vision to play a mainstream CCG. As a matter of fact, my only experience with CCGs is with Crazy Party. smile

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2020-07-01 22:36:31

Hey @Zklein:

Do I need the Golden Cursor stuff for the S key to get to the stack window or not? If not is there any way to jump to it?

Also on Linux natively

2020-07-01 22:45:14

JaceK,

Golden Cursor has nothing to do with the in-game shortcuts. All S does currently is pop up the stack window. I can probably easily modify it to move system focus there when you press that key, though. I'm going to be working on making focus behave better in general, and that's a great place to start.

2020-07-01 23:01:55 (edited by zkline 2020-07-01 23:14:49)

Sorry for the double post. Regarding Golden Cursor, what I've done personally for the game in the past was set bookmarks to the titles of the various windows, so that you'd have one for your hand, one for your opponent's field, etc. It wasn't 100% reliable but works well enough.

2020-07-01 23:04:41

Hi,
You're doing an amazing job.  I would gladly pay you money for this.
I've not had time to play yet, but from what I've gathered, quest mode lets you unlock cards while playing.  Really like this, progression in this sort of game is super fun.

2020-07-02 00:39:36

So is there a list of keyboard shortcuts?

Also on Linux natively

2020-07-02 01:20:36

JaceK,

The ones i use most often are "C," for combat view, "L," to open the log, and "s," to open the stack. There are a few others but those are about 90-95% of them. It's really a fundamentally mouse-based UI, which the NVDA review cursor just makes navigable.

As I said I'm going to try to make the shortcuts a little more useful smile

2020-07-02 02:31:19

Hi All,

I thought I'd try something a bit different than my usual and talk a little about what's currently possible, where my accessibility efforts are focused next, that kind of thing.

At the moment, it is possible to play a complete game of MTG with FOrge, though winning is another matter. It is possible to  draft a deck or participate in a sealed tournament, read card information, and generally navigate 95% of the UI.

It isn't really easy to do many of these things, just because the game UI was not designed for keyboard users, and that includes people using screen readers. My goals for the next while are consequently related. I want to make the experience easier  if I can. Here are a few ideas I have for doing that…

I hope to improve the deck selection experience over the next day or so, at the moment it's a little confusing, and once that's done I Can focus on other areas.

One thing I have thought which might make things smoother is making it possible to read details about cards in a user's hand without having to go to the card details pane to do so. I'm not quite sure what approach to take, maybe listing card name, type, and cost info in the accessible description, so that it gets read out much like tap status is now. I'd leave special abilities for the details area, which is potentially much longer, depending on the card.

Another area i Want to improve is the log window. Currently this is probably the most annoying part of the game, in that NVDA slows down considerably when a user enters it. This is because of the way the game log is implemented, it's a scrollable list of, potentially, hundreds of text fields, one per log entry. I can probably improve this, just not quite sure of the best way to do so yet.

Finally, I want to record a demo. I would like to do this fairly soon, if only because people have expressed interest in the game, and I believe it's quite possible to enjoy it even as it stands now. I'm going to make that my main goal for this holiday weekend here in the states.

I hope this has been informative, if not entertaining. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress, and hope to have good news to share with you fairly soon.

2020-07-02 10:12:59

Hey there!
Thanks for all your effort, it has the potential to become a great accessible game.
I am able to start a game of some kind, however, once playing, it's really hard to understand what is happening...
Could someone give a short explanation on how to play? I mean, the most basic stuff. I cannot understand when my turn finishes, what cards my enemy plays, what cards of mine are playable or not, what phase I am in at any time, how to deal with combats...
I'll try and investigate by myself, but at this point I am totally lost smile
thanks and happy gaming all

2020-07-03 06:25:31 (edited by zkline 2020-07-03 14:35:04)

Alan,

I'll hopefully get a demo up this weekend, but here's a quick description of the way the UI works. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Magic, but I'll assume you've at least read the basic rules, or at any rate can do so if you feel like it. smile

The Forge UI is basically split into a bunch of small windows. These run more or less as follows.

• Your hand. This one is obvious, it's all the cards you currently have available to play. Typically, you can keep  up to seven cards.

• Your field. This is where creatures, lands, and other cards are played. You can also find status information here, such as the number of cards in your library, life points, etc. Also in the field you'll find a set of phase toggles, which are useful for speeding up gameplay if you don't want to be prompted to play cards in certain phases. By default they are all enabled, which means you will be prompted to play cards in every phase. Fiddling with them is a somewhat advanced topic.

• Your opponent's field. This is pretty much identical to yours, except it's where their cards are played. They also have a set of phase toggles you can switch, for when it's their turn.

• Card Detail. This is where you find info about whatever card your mouse is hovering over at the moment. Most importantly, mana costs and card text are listed here. There's also information about cards power and toughness or loyalty, depending on the kind of card, as well as some less immediately important data about where the card came from and how common it is.

• Game log. This is important, it's the window where everything that happens is shown. It's also the most annoying, because at the moment it's basically a bunch of tiny text fields, and it's easy to get lost in it. You'll want to approach it from the right, as that's the bottom-most log entry. To make this easier to do, open the stack and then move right of that, and then open the log, as it shares the same space.

• The stack. This is where spells and effects are resolved. It's another series of text fields, though generally far smaller than the log. Most of the time, it's closed if you don't need to see it.

• Combat. This is a window which lists information about creatures attacking you, or which you are using to attack. It shares a space with the stack and the log.

• Prompt. This is where you are told information about who's turn it is, who has  priority for placing things on the stack, and so forth. It's also where you go to advance through  phases when you have nothing to do, just press Ok to pass priority or "end turn," next to it, if you don't want to be prompted for any of the following phases.

There are a couple windows and controls which are less commonly used,  such as the dock and the card picture window, but those can generally be ignored by totally blind players.

So the general game flow is like this…

You start a game, which I will demonstrate in the demo, but basically involves selecting a game format and decks for yourself and the AI.

You have a virtual coin toss to decide who will go first.

IF you win, you decide whether you want to play first or draw a card, using the prompt window.

You then get your first look at your hand, and can decide whether to keep it or to take a mulligan, which will let you discard it, draw another hand, and then discard one card from that hand. You might want to do this if you had no land cards, for instance.

When it's your turn, you play cards by selecting them with the NVDA cursor, and then moving the mouse to them with NVDA-shift-M, or nvda-numpad-slash. This is necessary because the card details panel only shows information for the card currently highlighted with the mouse. You can check the details if you're ever unsure about what a card does, it doesn't have to be your card. Just click on the cards you want to play, whether they're on the field or in your hand.

When you're done, you press OK on the prompt window, or end turn. You listen to the sounds indicating what your opponent does, possibly checking the log or stack window to see what they've played. The process repeats with occasional variations, going turn by turn.

Basically, you use the NVDA review cursor to navigate the screens. Each little window is preceded by a title to its left, such as "Zack hand," or "Card detail." To the right of the title is that window's contents, whatever it happens to be.

I hope this helps, and will definitely try to explain more in my demo.

2020-07-05 21:02:52

Hi All,

I haven't quite figured out how I want to handle a demo yet, since I'm still kind of in general accessibility improvement mode. smile I Hope that people who are willing to give this a try on their own don't get discouraged by the lack of a demo, it's totally possible to play a complete game, especially if you're already familiar with MAgic.

For the past couple days, I've been making small improvements to the deck editing aspects of the game. I added labels to the "Add basic lands," dialog, which is important when doing a booster draft or otherwise constructing a deck. I also fixed a small bug in the deck selection combo box, which should hopefully make it more pleasant to use now.

I'm working on adding as much info to the card names as I can, so that in addition to tap status we can at least get mana cost and possibly type info announced without having to move to the details pane. That should speed up gameplay considerably.

In a sense, the work on making this game accessible will never entirely be done, just because there are always places for improvement. I hope that it continues to be fun and enjoyable for people for years to come.

2020-07-06 13:11:50

I just want to say thankyou so much man, a tear is in my eye right now, you don't know how bad I been wanting to play this game....I haven't downloaded yet, waiting for all the kinks to be worked out....but you can search this forum and see how I have been begging on hands and knees for another tcg other than yugioh and pokemon, that's the only thing we had for YEARS(all caps)

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2020-07-06 13:20:10

is it similar to slay rthe spire.
Does this have any story mode or somethink simlar.
Slay the spire is bryliant so if this game is like this or similar I will try this

2020-07-06 18:12:31

@Smoovgunner Where do you play pokemon TCG? 
Doesn't Ravaged Worlds also count?

Anyway, also looking forward to seeing where this goes.

2020-07-06 18:24:03

@71 no... not really? It's a tcg, but it has the mtg rules  and components witch are extremely different from slay the spire.

2020-07-06 19:18:14

hello. what is magic?
and how to play it?
where do i learn it and how do i get it
thanks in the advanced

I am a hunter named Grunt. I didn't realize that until now.

2020-07-06 19:34:13 (edited by zkline 2020-07-06 19:35:00)

What is Magic? That's a question other people can answer better than I can, but it's basically a game that's been around for almost 30 years at this point.

The basic rules are available from this page, among many other places, but the complexities of the game take a long time to learn. It's easier to learn by playing against other people or, as with this app, an AI.