2020-09-10 16:46:56

We are talking about revolution here? I am sorry if I am going off topic. But we need to do something about it. Well, first we have to talk how to stop games from being cloned, then talk about this Audio Games Revolution, everybody wants positive effects. Right? The way things are going around, there may be a possibility of more clones in future, in my opinion, if the things stay the same, there may be very very less audio games to play later on. I know that there are rules which talk about not posting about clones, crack, or any other content like this on this forum, but we have to remember that the way everybody is on a forum, is not like that somewhere else. An example, The Killer being developed without posting anything. Some people who are on the forum may have been following the rules in here, but not really because they cloned something. Even if the topics were started, the users who started those were banned, or the topics were just closed. So, yeah. If this continues, we may have to switch to video games. Then, the choices to select games will be limited.

2020-09-10 17:00:33

currently, audio fighting games just plum suck! There is a world of difference between something like skullgirls and the savage gammet. I guess the blind swordsman is like punchout meets fantasy so its ok.

As for why a7dio games are not advancing right now, a part of the problem is that you can only convey so much information audibly. Like how do you tell someone that there is a platform ahead of you and above situated over a pit that you can hookshot to, but it is very narrow on all sides.

2020-09-10 17:12:00

# 26 Sorry, but it's not very clear to me what you mean when you talk about clones.

2020-09-10 18:08:32

@26: This has Nothing at all to do with clones, but with the lack of creative ideas.
@Deucalion: Have you played games like a blind legend? I would love to see Fighting games with mechanics that are not in a hear-react/bop-it style, but somewhat more complex. Of Course, this would take some creative thinking to figure out how to give the Player all that Information.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2020-09-10 18:47:06

@22 Manamon would not have existed if it wourn't for video games

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2020-09-10 18:50:26 (edited by TheRealAmethyst 2020-09-10 18:56:20)

For fighting games, the only thing we really need is an indicator to know how mutch HP we have. Most fighters can be played perfectly fine without site. Just take MK or heck even Naruto. We don't need to modify the game a ton, the base is already there. The devs of audiogames need to really look into how those games work. If not, then I am afraid the audio game industry will die.

2020-09-10 18:53:22

#29 Unfortunately, I don't know English.

2020-09-10 18:59:45

Compare are games to the low vision games community we are dead already. look at our games online games with an extremely bad reputation and most developers are under 15 doesn't make things any better. and not to mention most offline games are just side scrollers where you just shoot enemies that are just a vois that is being looped over and over

2020-09-10 19:18:56

everything in that post there. @33 is so true.

2020-09-10 19:30:01

Hi,

@33: Thumbs up for that, everytime I see the Video titles of Illegallysighted's low v ision Spotlights I'm damn jealous.
@Deucalion: A blind legend is available in French and english. It is basically About a blind Knight on a quest to find his kidnapped wife.

Oh, and #freeGCW

2020-09-10 20:30:26

Unfortunately, I only know Romanian. # 33 What do you mean? Mud, Survive the wild and Swamp are very good games. And it's not true that most devs are under 15 years old.

2020-09-10 20:35:09

compered to video games, they are not good

2020-09-10 20:35:33

Sam made survive The wild when he was 13. And what do you mean by mud. Muds are not audio games

2020-09-10 20:37:39

And yes seriously. If  Minecraft becomes accessible why should I even bother playing survive the wild

2020-09-10 20:44:32

First off, Deucalion, you have mail. Please check your private messages.

As to the main topic, I feel like audio games as a genre will only die if accessibility becomes the norm. Since accessibility seems to be the exception and not the rule, I really don't think we have to worry about this problem just yet.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-09-10 22:53:37

@39 how about because it will never happen?

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-09-10 23:10:24

If it don't then well survive The wild is still a bad game. Not for me but as in gaming in general

2020-09-11 10:46:02

Agreed with people like @42 here. Audio games have basically been trying to emulate a mainstream experience for the last 20 years anyway, so we can sort of play what sighted people can. But should any of those games become playable, or should new games be released with a11y in them, why then should I keep playing the audio game versions which usually have less features, a smaller player base, can't be played with sighted friends because no graphics, and often suffer from poor administration? Stw's a thing, but why should i play that if I could play ark survival or Minecraft? Alter aeon is a great mud, but I'd replace it with WoW or the witcher series any day. The only reason I sometimes think about coming back to cosmic rage is because I can't play something like halo, mass effect, or dead space. Why should I bother spending time with something like darkened chain if I could pick up outlast, silent hill, or any other of the landmark horror games out there? manamon? Oh give me a break. The newest pokemon games have more than double the monsters to catch, just about every pokemon can be customised so you can make it competitive and battle other players with it, and there's so much more content besides that. And I'll stop caring about a game like Castaways the minute I here a game like civilization has a11y in it. There, I think I've more than proven my point.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-09-11 11:21:43

I can't help but notice that EA and tLoU2 took a hard turn toward accessibility at the very same moment that mainstream gamers turned against them. I'm not saying those are necessarily related, but it does make me suspicious. If the next ground-breakingly accessible mainstream game also happens to appear immediately as / after the company/title becomes a grand controversy or hate receptical, well, the probability of a relationship will be high enough that perhaps I will say it's so.

And frankly, mainstream games almost never sound interesting anymore anyway. If new accessible games are made, they're still new games. Who do I have to pay to get accessible Sonic, Kingdom Hearts, classic Marvel games, or Arkham Asylum? ... Or Skyrim, I guess?
What I'm saying is, I expect GPT5 and Neural Link to solve games before actual game developers do, and I am not especially glad of this.
Audio Game developers will not solve it, either, because with very, very few exceptions, we are all absurdly pathetic.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2020-09-11 12:30:52

@44 quite frankly, I couldn't care less about that kind of stuff. First and foremost, if I think about games, I want games to play. Besides, you can't really compare EA and naughty dog. It looks like EA has stopped caring about a11y anyway, as you can planely see in the newest Madden installment.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-09-11 13:47:45

When the day comes where you are able to play mario 64, I'll be ready
And that day I can be truly happy for my existence. Cause my existance has always been to compleate Super Mario 64.

2020-09-11 14:27:10

Hi,
@44: If those two Things actually have anything to do with each other, that's absolutely disgusting. There are fewer Things I hate more than People or companies using the interests of minorities (in this case, accessibility) for good Publicity. If that's just a side effect, it's fine.

On a slightly off-topic sidenote, who the hell started the term a11y?

Oh, and #freeGCW

2020-09-11 14:35:21

Hi.

At 44 hmm that could be true, thing is, accessibility was implemented into Tlu 2 from the start acording to Brandon and Ian, so when they started with these features, they possibly couldn't know that there would be a huge backlash from parts of the comunity, the comunity didn't even know the game was in development at that time.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-09-11 14:45:00

What was the controvercywith tlu2?

2020-09-11 15:00:30

OK, so there's a few things which are sticking out in this thread to me at least:

Personally, I - presumably like others - am a developer. I spend my days on Google figuring out things. When I do play a game, I don't want to fight with the game to get past the main menu. ShadowLine might be the best game ever built, but I've got to bugger about so much, that it takes away from the enjoyment of the thing.

Secondly, many people have talked about a lack of ideas, and general stagnation, and yes, that's probably true. I've personally never been able to see enough to play "normal" video games, so I personally can't draw inspiration from that particular quarter. My inspiration comes from Shades of Doom, Tank Commander, and Swamp, because they're the best things I've ever played. I would imagine many other devs who have either been blind from birth, or never had enough usable sight to play games made for sighted people are in the same boat. How can you get new and fresh ideas when there's so little to experience outside of the available audio gaming titles that don't require a whole day of pissing about to play?

Next, where is the tooling? We have Lucia, which is trying to pick up where BGT left off, and uses the (in my opinion inferior) Pygame. I find its documentation hard to navigate, and it just doesn't look like the slick API I'm looking for.

We have Sable, which doesn't count since it's not ready for purchase yet, and - int its current incarnation - requires deactivating your antivirus which I won't do for anyone.

I've personally spent so much time writing Earwax so that I can create better games, that I now can't really be arsed to make the games I originally started writing Earwax for. Also, I don't have the knowledge of maths to create the ground-breaking games that people crave. I could *probably* get something like Tank Commander down given a few weeks. Think Shades of Doom is beyond me. I could probably do Swamp also, minus some of the clever tools like the building helper, and I could probably iron out some of the niggling problems I have found with it, like sounds happily propagating through walls..

Finally... At the risk of being a massive dick, while you're all writing messages on this thread, complaining that the available audio games are rubbish, you're not coming up with viable alternatives. Yes, I know not everyone can code, but honestly, if you can't do any better, don't complain haha.

I've seen so many topics on the new releases room where folks have put something out there, only to be told it's boring, or unimaginative or whatever. Doesn't exactly inspire people to release stuff. In fact, especially when much of the stuff is free, it frankly comes across as ungrateful.

If someone does release something, and god forbid thinks about getting some cash to remunerate them for all their hard work and energy, magically nobody has any money. I'm sure that's true in some cases, but seriously, *NO* money? Even 15 year olds have birthdays and christmases where they get given money. Adults have the power to save $10 a month, just don't buy a bloody pizza one weekend, or live without Apple Music for a month. It's not hard.

Also, there have been some topics where people post a great new idea they've got. I know some people come with "I want to make this horror game, and I need one of you to code it for me, one of you to do the sounds, and one of you to write the story". Many people though, have great ideas. Yes, they might not be perfect, because they're first drafts. But instead of bashing their creators for copying other ideas (ever heard of the word trope?) try encouraging them, or giving them constructive feedback, help keep them excited. Even if they don't code the game, that idea might spark something in someone else.

Even if everyone else stops making audio games, I shall continue to make them, because I enjoy them. My wife also enjoys them, because she can't see enough to react quickly enough to play mainstream games, and doesn't do well with fast text to speech. No amount of speech software, or high contrast graphics are going to change that.

-----
I have code on GitHub