2020-02-23 22:33:54 (edited by ErionMUD 2020-02-23 22:39:12)

Greetings everyone!

I'm Aelyn of Erion MUD and this is my first post on this forum :). If you've never heard of Erion, I'd like to warmly welcome you to our community! We are a VI friendly game and I personally implement new features and spam reduction options specifically for VI players.

We are a rather ambitious team of IMMs and are frequently adding content and implementing new ideas from players. We've recently added several updates, including new areas with missions, a Monk class with 3 subclasses, and many other various features. Some of the notable updates I would like to share are...

* Our 11th class, Monk, has been implemented! Martially trained and devoted to the gods of the realm, Monks are unarmed masters with unparalleled speed who prefer to harness their body as their weapon rather than wield a dagger to stab or a staff to set foes afire. Their fists blur as they catch an incoming hail of arrows and simultaneously whirl their body to strike at an unmatched speed.  A Monk's spirituality manifests itself through a calm, centered being which allows them to perform abilities which function similarly to magic but are a direct result of a disciplined mind.  Their dedication to physical, mental and spiritual energy empowers them with abilities that make them both excellent defenders and fighters.

* A high level area, Witch's Mountain, has been released! Some of you may have thought that witches only occupy the Witch's Woods, but they are rather widespread, found all through Witch's Mountain.  They are wicked beyond imagining, very very powerful, and quite deadly, only the bravest explorers daring to venture their way.  Brought to you by myself and our Head Builder Kextra, we hope you enjoy this new area.  Be extremely observant, or you will miss many secrets.

* Deep in the Witch's Wood where the hillside creeps with arachnids, a fresh hole has been burrowed into the earth, leading into the dark, Nyxian tunnels which are rumored to be inhabited by spiders the size of horses.  This small area is for those level 150 and up, created by myself and Kextra.

* A new and more user friendly forum has been implemented with many new features that you won't see on stock MUD note boards.

* Pet Limbo has been released! When your pet reaches 0 health, it will now be sucked into a pet Limbo where it will remain until released by its master.

* We are currently planning to add the Bard class next and are gathering ideas from our players!

To connect to the MUD, the address is: Erionmud.com Port 1234

Join our new Discord at https://discord.gg/PTRbCpy

Visit our website at http://erionmud.com/

Happy Mudding!
Aelyn

2020-02-23 22:44:26

Wow, Erion is still alive, and Kextra is still building. I need to visit you some day.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-02-23 22:52:13

Hi.

Awesome news.
We know Erion very well, here indeed we have This page about the game on the db.

My character was Tanquest, however after the massive revamp of quests and the starting area that begun the game, I sort of lost track of my progress, though as I am a fan of classes like monk I should probably just start a new character.

It's good to hear more missions have been added to the game, since I confess whilst I really enjoyed the first 12 or so levels, once the missions dried up and progress slowed down, matters became a little harder to concentrate on.

Any plans for adding more missions or activities into the game to vary matters a little?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-23 22:56:16

Nuno wrote:

Wow, Erion is still alive, and Kextra is still building. I need to visit you some day.

Oh yes! We are still kickin' smile Look forward to your visit!

2020-02-23 23:08:58

Hello Tanquest,

It's nice to hear that you are still around!

Yes, our highest priority right now is to add new areas and missions. Kextra is working hard to build a new tree elf-themed area for higher levels and I'm helping add missions to it. There may be new lower level areas since your last visit such as The Rose Forest, Undersea Shipwrecks, Crow's Bay, and a few others which have new missions that you may enjoy! We will continue to add new areas with missions working our way from low to high levels. Faerah and Jax are new builders who are working as a team to create a new level 19 to 23 area as well!

A new activity on the horizon is equipment crafting. We are getting close to completing the outline for how we want the crafting system to work and then I'll start coding that.

I'd love to hear your feedback on the new Monk class if you do stop by and create a new character.

Cheers,
Aelyn

2020-02-24 10:21:23

My typical question: how about quests? i am much of a questor and quests are the factor that Keep me going with a game.

Greetings,
Ciri, the Witcher
(If you want to get in touch with me, contact me via twitter (ciri1240)

2020-02-24 15:59:37 (edited by Dark 2020-02-24 16:02:59)

@Ciri, there are two types of quests in Erion.
There are "quests and expeditions" which are randomly generated, and there are missions which can be done only once.

Quests involve killing a certain npc, or finding a given object in a location in a short time limit and you get quest points back. expeditions are similar to quests but involve  several mobs to kill and a reward.
There are then global quests, when you and any other players of your level compete to kill a number of mobs in a short time, which are great since they're actually possible to do well in, unlike in other games that employ systems like that where newbies end up in trouble.

there are then missions which are more like quests in other muds, when an npc asks you to do something, kill some creatures, find an object, solve a puzzle etc, which usually have multiple quests and more tangeable rewards, . Sadly there are fewer of those, though as has been said more have been added, and those that are there tend to be pretty awesome to do (this is one game where running the mud school and discovering all the quests is actually fun).

In addition, the game has a lot of really cute little extra systems, for example, a Colosseum you can fight in to earn tickets, chocolate bunnies to find which give you extra points, runes, tattoos and sigils to come acrss, a scrabble tile game where you get awarded for finding letters around the game, gods to pray to each day for rewards  etc.

In general Erion has a lot of stuff to do, my only problem is that when I played the stuff to do wasn't quite as evenly spread between levels, and I was sort of stuck for new  between levels 13 and 20, though I suspect had I persisted a bit things would've evened out again, indeed since I was multiclassing that made progression slower and likely if I tried a single class character I'd have gotten on better.

I also like the abilities in Erion, since this is one mud where all the attacks aren't the same and gaining new abilities really does give you new things to do in combat, not just tougher weapon skills, or swapping out typing "kick" mid fights to typing "bash" instead or the like.

I'll also say, the community is one of the most friendly I've seen, I particularly like how the game actually rewards different styles of players and has different houses to appeal to those styles, EG a pvp house, a house devoted to combat, an explorer's house and even an alchemists house for those who want to play with potion making, plus the accessibility is awesome, EG there is an "oscan" command which will let you just review the objects in neighboring rooms so you can complete those object quests even faster.

In general Erion is one of the best hack n slash muds I've ever played, indeed I'm sort of talking myself into going back and giving monk a try big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-24 19:24:31

Is there a soundpack for this? Preferably for VIPMud?
If not, it's okay, I'll hop on maybe after school today and check this out.

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2020-02-24 19:27:32

Sadly no soundpack i'm afraid.

2020-02-24 20:11:12

I tested this mud, If you like this type of muds, I encourage you to start play. There is a lot of friendly and helpful players.

2020-02-24 21:53:19

Well, I've started playing this, and I'm still level 1, but it's not bad. It looks very similar to aardwolf but with a much smaller player base. I'm going to keep playing though and see how it is at later levels.

"900 years in time and space and I have never met someone who wasn't important." The Doctor.
Come say hi on Twitter

2020-02-24 22:13:07

Hi,
This sounds interesting, I generally have stayed away from muds recently to get away from drama and because I prefer the style that d and d brings with actual RP, less trolling and more story things to do, but its hard to find that in a game. This one sounds interesting though, my big concern is I atleast prefer to have some sounds with muds, I know I'm super spoiled, are their any in the works? things like sounds for things that can be muted instead to make the game less spammy? I tried a game not too long ago that was super detailed in world and everything but there was so much spam of information and having to copy down codes for items instead of short handing them etc, that I had to stop, which was a major disapointment as d and d in real life can only last so long and I want something to keep my mind busy on a longer term scale.
Are there any plans for this from the team or any one working on something on the side even small, as it would help me want to try this game more!

don't look back, cause you'll loose the road ahead.

2020-02-25 04:30:16

Hello everyone,

This is a short message to let you all know that, who ever has any knowledge about soundpack making, if you make one, Aelyn is happy to share it on the mud's website.
Thank you

The galaxy's healing dragon.

2020-02-25 13:58:57

@Austin, there are no sounds for Erion, indeed as I've said before, if you want games with sound  and don't like reading text, stay away from muds, since with literally two or three exceptions, most muds the interface is and will always be primarily text.

that being said, there  is text and text.
Erion, like most muds has no item codes, and is good at letting you find what you want easily, so learnign commands isn't too hard. Also, combat isn't super spammy either, the way combat in some muds is.

I will say Erion is more on the runing aroun,d having un and finding things to do end of muds, than the super serious, super detailed  real roleplaying end, but that it does very well.

@crescent, yes, in some ways Erion is similar to Aardwolf, EG repeatable quests from quest givers, quest points used to buy things etc.
However, there are some very major differences, for example Erion never has uncompletable goals, nor will other players tell you "well your not meant to do that goal."

Also in terms of community, Erion is far fairer in terms of it's global quests system, sicne global quests you compete with people at your level or there abouts, making it possible to actually get a significant amount done without having to know the mud's areas backwards or need high level items.

also in terms of repeatable quests, there  none of that business of keeping having to buy quest gear over and over again as you level, and buying some bits earlier than others, since most quest items either scale with your level, or are extras.

then, combat in Erion is far more fun as I said, since you have much more in terms of abilities to play with that actually change up what you do, rather than just finding an enemy and wailing away with the same old attacks, you also as I said have a lot of other fun things in Erion such as scrabble tiles, sigils and such.

Erion also has a lot of helpful in game functions that I wish Aardwolf had, for example, no need to look on extra websites or   belong to a clan to get halfway decent ec, just use the in game ec search feature and find what is good at your level.

2020-02-25 14:11:32

hi,
can someone help me with better armor and weapons? i am level 6 necro now.
my name ingame is atlan.

2020-02-25 14:44:05

There is a command to search equipment for your level by say armour rating or what bonuses it imparts, though I don't remember what it is at this stage.
I suggest you have a look in the help file.

Also, make sure your making use out of all eq slots and have got mission items like badges or medels, and check both your quest giver and your class trainer for extra equipment too, though of course I am not sure if any of this has changed recently.

2020-02-25 16:09:29

Okay given the game another try and created a new monk character, called Thile.

I confess whilst the cave of beginnings is great and honey bee village is a really interesting area, I do miss all the missions at the old mud university, especially those that showed off very unusual aspects of the game, since it seems now your more thrown into things straight off and asked to pick bits up as you go along.

On the pluss side I've already found some new missions todo, although I'm getting a little annoyed that my last two expeditions asked me to slay a small boy, who apparently is in a beach somewhere in honey bee village, which I haven't been able to find, indeed I think I've explored about 140 rooms out of 150 big_smile.

I've also not done as well with armour, and need to find that command to check level eq, though fighting at my level is okay as always and I should have quested up some ways in a bit.

2020-02-25 19:27:21

@dark That beach is found in a room desc with a strange north wall. It stumped me at first as well, you really need to read the desc carefully. Also, the oscan for objects and look around are really handy as is scan. Also, when your in the temple, say buff and you get a bunch of lvl 133 protections and spells cast on you which is very handy. How does this EQ search thing work? I am lvl 7 mage and 6 thief.

:D happy to help out with games and the like... maybe :D

2020-02-25 20:53:56

Thanks bratd, I'll have to hunt around for that wall you mention, oh and Yeah, I forgot about the free buffs from the temple.

I will check the equipment search thing.
Again, this is unfortunately why I slightly miss the mud university, because they had a rather more extensive set of newbie missions and tasks which required you to find out about that type of thing, though of course I'm still level 1 and haven't finished even some of the basic missions i've got, like the one to complete twenty quests or finish an expedition (I keep geting stumped on expeditions by that damn beach big_smile).

2020-02-25 22:51:24

hello, just a question. New classes are fantastic! but just a question, do you have any plans to expand our racial options? Either in new upgraded remort varieties or in new base ideas. You have a lot of cool ones already but there is always room for improvement.

2020-02-25 22:53:43

Maybe its just me not being into the constant quest style, but I'm having trouble getting into this mud. It isn't bad, but I seem to prefer a heavier rp side, rather than just questing.

"900 years in time and space and I have never met someone who wasn't important." The Doctor.
Come say hi on Twitter

2020-02-26 00:13:30

bookrage wrote:

hello, just a question. New classes are fantastic! but just a question, do you have any plans to expand our racial options? Either in new upgraded remort varieties or in new base ideas. You have a lot of cool ones already but there is always room for improvement.

There are remort options for each race, though they're called evolutions. For example a Human can evolve into an Angel and an Angel can evolve into another form. If you type 'race list' on the MUD you'll see a full list of our races. The final evolutions are secret to those who haven't unlocked them, so the final evo race names are listed as question marks til unlocked.

I'm definitely open to new race ideas and you are welcome to post any you have smile

2020-02-26 00:16:22

crescent wrote:

Maybe its just me not being into the constant quest style, but I'm having trouble getting into this mud. It isn't bad, but I seem to prefer a heavier rp side, rather than just questing.

I personally have never played a roleplaying MUD so I'm not familiar with what those kinds of MUDs offer, but I'm interested in implementing more features for players who enjoy that style of gameplay. I've been slowly compiling ideas but would love to know what kind of features you enjoy having as a roleplayer to see if it's something I could add!

2020-02-26 00:29:49

I'm going to give this a go.  I love diverse combat, interesting creatures and quests to ease the grind, so this looks right up my alley.

2020-02-26 01:28:00

@Dan C, Erion is quick and easy, lots of stuff to run around and fight and quick questts
Combat at base is fairly normal for a Dicu type mud, however the abilities and such are chosen very carefully to balance to keep things interesting.

The mistake i made with my previous character I think, was going multiclass, since multiclassing meant levelling much more slowly, which meant not seeing new areas etc as quick as I might have liked, I'll try a standard monk this time and see how things go.

the "db" command is the command for searching equipment and is very useful.

I admit one thing I'm finding a bit odd this time around is that quest points are less useful unless you convert them into practices or trains, since the really awesome quest weapons and other gear isn't around. Then again, since some of the quest gear did things like give you perminant flight and pass dorr abilities I can sort of see why things have changed this time around.

I like the fact that your told by exits and scan when a room is new. But it'd be nice, if your trying to completely explore an area, to get an idea where the unexplored room is, even if a general one, EG "there is an unexplored area to the north.