2020-02-26 01:36:38

Some things i personally would like to see for the rp side of things are maybe some quieter activities to do in character, fishing, crafting, mining, things that let you have some down time away from combat. Maybe some player controlled cities or player run areas in general would be a nice thing. I don't know what the staff is like, but maybe running some in character events, like a few dungion rades for specific levels, things like that.

Something semi related that I personally would love to see in a game that I figured I would mention here is the capability to have a mage that can make spellbooks of rare or even one of a kind spells that can be sold, passed down, or put in a library for others to learn from. Not specifically just for a mage, but that's usually my favorite class.

"900 years in time and space and I have never met someone who wasn't important." The Doctor.
Come say hi on Twitter

2020-02-26 12:53:12

@crescent, weapon and armour crafting is apparently in the works for the game and there is already potion making.

'I'd actually be interested to see crafting and exploration activities in the game myself too, especially if they gave you more reasons to explore the world, for example, if you could find different resources scattered around each area such as trees to cut, vanes of stone to quarry or mine, fish to gather or herbs to pick scattered around each area, and could make items from these which could either be used yourself, or sold to npcs to gain cash and experience.

Actually, Erion is really good for finding random stuff scattered around and giving you reasons to explore the areas, so expanding this to finding various resources in the wilderness which you could then use in crafting activities would be awesome I think.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-26 15:57:05

Aardwolf has a lot of flaws - goals being among them, as many of them are extremely obscure and give god-awful rewards - but one thing I want to set straight is that you do not need clan knowledge to get good eq on Aardwolf. The eqsearch command, which has been around since at least 2011, gives perfectly serviceable equipment suggestions tailored to your class. I've reached tier 1 (seven full remorts) using this feature and no quest gear. People with quest gear probably do it faster/better than I do, but I'm still reasonably quick and can still get through most areas just to level. I've got to give Erion another try though.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-02-26 19:00:20

I actually haven't had problems with goals on aardwolf, or problems with it at all for that matter. I'll look into the potion making though. I'll definitely keep playing here and there, but I'm still having trouble finding things other than quests, expeditions and the occasional global quest.

"900 years in time and space and I have never met someone who wasn't important." The Doctor.
Come say hi on Twitter

2020-02-26 21:26:25

I think I just need to get used to ramping up my screenreader, but I can't keep up with combat and it frequently gets ahead of me.

2020-02-26 23:05:50

@Jayde, whenever I'd use eqsearch on Aardwolf, the best gear was always clan gear. there was a website that was relatively useful, but it wasn't quite as maintained as it could be.

@crescent, quests expeditions and fighting monsters is the main thrust of the game, however there are some interesting optional extras.
Some of these come in the form of stuff you find around the world like chocolate bunnies scrabble tiles etc, some of these come in the form of zones with interesting things to do like the monster Colosseum, and some come in the form of missions, indeed this is one slightly sad thing about the mud university no longer being available, since that had some itneresting missions to do right off.

Missions are like quests in games like alteraeon. When you get to a new zone, type the "missions nearby" command to see what missions are where. there are several in the starter area, though I still haven't found rooms for some of them, and several more in low level areas you come to like forest of hiandor or the tombstone park graveyard.

Also, unlike in Aardwolf, people will actually help you with missions on the newbie channel if your stuck, which is always nice big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-26 23:41:36

I like the idea of having a variety of dungeons, missions and such to do. 
While I love Alter, even though it's multiclass, I still feel incredibly limited in ways of where I can reasonably take my character.
I can't wait to give this a good go this week.

2020-02-27 01:19:27

there are several areas at each level. I'll say there probably isn't as large an area to explore as in alter, but on the plus side, there's much more in terms of repeatable stuff, extra goals etc, and far more none agro mobs so you can run around and slay quickly.
it's a more casual game than alter, but worth it to smack monsters.

2020-02-27 04:09:56

Yes, Dark, most of the suggested gear is clan eq. But that clan eq is open (i.e., you run to the area, find the shop, buy the gear and off you go). The game's actual drops, for the most part, aren't great, which is an entirely different problem. The gear suggested by eqsearch, however, is pretty good, more than serviceable and available to anyone who has the gold. It's also not particularly expensive.

2020-02-27 07:03:56

Hmm darn, I can't make up my mind what kind of character I want to play.
I still struggle between a martial arts munk, a sniper or a ninja type of character.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-02-27 08:02:12

Sadly, this game was better before the revamp, they slowed down leveling massively, to the point where it's very boring. Shame as the systems are cool.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2020-02-27 13:07:51

They did slow things down. But to be brutally honest for a sec, one of the reasons I left originally is because it was too fast. You had all this epic quest gear, and most people I saw had basically the same stuff. It took very little time to get powerful, so little time in fact that it was very easy to blow through areas or, when trying to do missions and such, being forced to slum in areas you'd vastly outgrown. Almost nothing was a real challenge.
So maybe they overcorrected with the nerfs. I'm not experienced enough to have a qualified opinion on that. But I do think it was too fast before, so some control mechanisms were necessary.

2020-02-27 14:09:11 (edited by Dark 2020-02-27 14:09:41)

One thing I'm trying to work out at the moment, is what to do with quest points.
Previously, there was all this epic quest gear and awesome quest weapons you could get relatively easily, which meant you never had to use gear ever again. All of that seems to have gone, which I quite understand, however in it's place they have given a toggle to let autoquests and expeditions gain experience which looks like a nice way around, though I'm still not sure whether the quest points are needed for something else, (aside from buying training sessions of course).

I'll also remind people of the hardcore toggle mechanic, which gives you double experience for each kill, though a harsher death penalty.

The other thing I've noticed about Erion, is that multiclassing is not necessarily a good thing, since you effectively need to change levels to level your extra class, so this time I'm just going to go for a single class monk and see what happens.

2020-02-27 18:33:00

Well, I've gotten to level 2. It still isn't bad, but it really is repetitive. I feel like I'm just going through the same pattern of quest, expedition, quest again, unscramble a word, and wait for the timers to be up to repeat.

Come say hi on Twitter

2020-02-27 19:01:12

Yeah, this is whhy the old game was far better. You felt like you were at least making progress. It's far too slow to be enjoyable now. If the old systems were put back in place I would play again in a heartbeat.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2020-02-27 19:16:58

There are still the missions etc to do of course, and I suspect if you switch quest toggle to xp you can progress fairly quickly, though I'd appreciate the dev's thoughts on this.

2020-02-27 20:36:36

also, I have to spend quite some time acquiring equpment because what I have sucks right now. I need some better stuff and that will take me some time for sure.

2020-02-27 22:40:19

I personally don't find the missions all that interesting though. There just another part in the repetition cycle for me. I want something that's more variable, or at least has more interaction, things to do, I don't know, just more from the muds I play.

Come say hi on Twitter

2020-02-28 00:10:37

Thank you guys for your ideas on everything so far. I do plan on adding fishing and crafting relatively soon. As far as more interactive missions go, what do you have in mind?

2020-02-28 00:25:05

Really what I'm looking for is more reason for interaction. I want to have a reason for what I'm doing. I want to kill things for more reasons than to finish a quest/mission/expedition. I would definitely be interested in fishing, especially if its more than just an occasional command.

Come say hi on Twitter

2020-02-28 01:19:57 (edited by bookrage 2020-02-28 02:41:25)

some other MUDs also have community RP events where characters gather in one place or roleplay as themselves and it is more about being involved with the world as a living breathing universe rather than just a place where adventurers go around killing things.

Another thing I've seen MUDs do is have events where in-world actions of the players determine a future event. For example, in one game, there was a war started between pirates and ninjas. The players could fight mobs on either side and the first side to wrack up enough mob kills on their side determined what the next class would be.

Other games sometimes would have RP events like mentioned above, and the devs would sit in as characters or counselors and fit future stuff that happened in the game based on what the heroes talked about in these meetings and such.

You could also have global collection events. This would not be a competitive thing but rather could be something like you challenge the player base to grab a certain number of limited time drops and items and turn them in somewhere important, possibly for special currency or to push an event of some sort along where all the players' totals would work together towards a grand total. You could do this as just a global effort on the part of the adventurers or you could have multiplefactions or sides at work and have the players race to get enough points to one side. Whichever side gets the most will effect future game events.

2020-02-28 04:32:18

I don't know if i just haven't seen it yet, but some lore would be nice. Where did the world come from? Why are we all adventurers? How is magic used (probably not the right word, but I mean, how is mana gathered, inate ability, learned, mixture). Are there tentions between races? Are there any major world events we should know about? Why do we evolve races?

Come say hi on Twitter

2020-02-28 11:39:17

Myself, I'd like to see the mission system expanded a little so that areas each had their own mission.
I'm more than happy to go on a kill or collect mission for an npc so long as there is a reason for me to do so, and there are several really interesting areas like embar green that don't appear to have attached missions or reasons for them to be why they are the way they are.

I also confess that for me, one miner problem I always have with autoquests, is that often your killing mobs that have done you no harm. I've no problem being sent to kill goblins or giant dragons, but I'm less sure when I'm asked to go and randomly slay children
It'd be nice if, on occasions when mobs were good aligned creatures, there was a little more reason to go and fight them than just because you need questpoints.

Speaking  of questpoints btw, I'm still not certain why exactly you need them, whether I should turn them in to trains or toggle off quest points entirely.

2020-02-28 17:20:42

I like this mud i have a character i've been playing for about 4 days now and the mud is a bit repetitive at times, yes but I've no problem being a murder hobo. lol.  I do understand everyone else's thoughts and rp is always a good thing. another options that i loved was in this mud called i think it was project bob the missions werre randomly build mazes that you entered and slayed a certain number of mobs. I dunno why but i really loved that aspect so when you started the mission the maze would randomly generate. I miss that game..

2020-02-28 23:15:54

Project Bob was fantastic.  Though I always remember trying to get into it while being severely jetlagged one year, and realising how much of a terrible idea that was due to all the number crunching. tongue