2020-01-31 18:07:02 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2021-05-03 01:49:30)

Any retro gamers excited about this? I know that we have roms and emulation, but the issue is always going to be accuracy and authenticity, and yes, accessibility, especially now with retroarch access available to us. Still, this seems like a genuine product of quality build, and not some cheap knockoff with a thousand copies of the same games built into them.

For those who don't know, the evercade is a retro inspired portable console that features officially licensed cartridges that house anywhere from 6 to 20 games from a specific publisher. It will have stereo speakers, a 4 face button 2 shoulder button layout, headphone jack, hdmi out, and the menu seems quite simple. Evercade's focus will be on 8 and 16 bit games. Already, publishers like namco and atari have signed on to providing games for this thing. I would really like to see snk provide a collection of their neo geo pocket and pocket color games, since every emulator I try just cant replicate it well enough. I would pick this up just for that.

Here is a review video on the evercade:
https://youtu.be/hHOchWVYe-E

2020-01-31 19:19:40

Hi,
The thing with a portable console... does it have a battery? Neo Geo Mini had a USB port and it only let you play if it was plugged in with no battery option.

2020-01-31 20:13:37

It has a built in battery that will give you 4 to 5 hours of gameplay on a full charge. I forgot to mention that most games will have save state support, which will definitely be helpful for us.

2021-05-03 03:19:08

Hi guys! I'm bumping this thread back up to introduce the article I wrote on something that came in the mail earlier this week. Its available to read in the articles room right now. Hope you guys like it. Feel free to post questions and comments on it here in this thread, and thanks for taking the time to read it.

Take care.

2021-05-03 03:26:08

I am going to pick this thing up if I can find the games I am interested on getting.

2021-05-03 04:18:07

I've been considering whether to get this or not. The thing that makes me dubious is that you can't put your own games on there, and there's only 1 or 2 fighting/playable games on the carts, and considering it's around 15 bucks per cart just doesn't seem worth it to me, but feel free to correct me...

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2021-05-03 05:35:35

I sespect that blaze entertainment wants to avoid allowing people to put their games onto a cart so that they don't get into legal trouble in the future. They are trying to give people who want it an alternative to piracy, and I respect that. Some of the reasons people pirate games are either because games are too expensive,, they are not available in the region, or they are no longer available for purchase. Evercade addresses all of those issues, and all parties benefit from the transaction. Allowing people to put their own games which they may have gotten from questionable sources would defeat the purpose of the platform.

I think you're kinda right about a cart not being worth it if their's just 1 or 2 playable games on it, but like I said in the article, having save states opens up the opportunity for us to explore and possibly finish more games. We can use them to undo pitfalls and instant deaths in platformers and run and gun games, as wells as learn the layout of levels. I keep thinking back to one of the posts of a forum member who played a game so much and died so often that they learned what to expect within some levels, which gave them the ability to make it through a few levels before the game over screen. How much less frustrating would that experience have been if they had the ability to use save states? This gives me the courage to try games that I would otherwise not play, such as earthworm Jim, midnight resistance, or bugar man. I would have loved save states for tackling life force on the nes, or UN squadron on the snes, and remember that a blind guy used save states to beat the legend of zelda ocarina of time on YouTube. In conclusion, my counter argument to there only being 1 or 2 fighting games per cart is save states. Sighted gamers love having them, and they are just as, if not more useful to blind gamers.

2021-05-03 16:00:31

Well I'd definitely be interested in this depending on what games get added onto it.  the ability to use savestates is incredibly helpful in playing games I wouldn't have been able to before like you said.
Plus I'd love it if they were able to add the capcom beat em ups for example like AVP.  I love listening to the attract modes on those as well as the marvel vs capcom games even if not playing.  I guess they just cheer me up. 
Strangely most of them are muted when playing using cps2 and the like which is a shame as I'm not sure how to fix this.  Would love to be able to play stuff like these, metal slug and such on the go properly. 
Metal slug three is incredible.

2021-05-03 17:21:18

Having cps1 and cps2 games would be great! The evercade has just the right number of buttons, I think most if not all of those games are 2d so I bet it could run them easily. Besides, there was a very limited English release of cyberbots that I bet people would love to habe, as the protagonist of that game has been featured in capcom's future titles and it would be cool to see where he came from.

2021-05-03 22:46:59

I just bought the premium pack along with the piko and teknos carts. I'm super excited for this thing. I actually intend to collect every single cart for this thing eventually.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2021-05-03 23:49:58

Congrats! Technos is next on my list. Hope you enjoy your evercade.

2021-05-05 06:38:06

Here is a good resource if you want reviews on evercade games. These are organized by each pack, and I believe all packs currently released are covered.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … MLb2uUWvtv

2021-05-05 21:57:48

Looks like there was an firmware update last month that added features, fixed bugs and made bigger games like the 32-bit stuff run better. I can't get the program to work on my ancient pc but I'll update either here or the article with the features and how to update if I can use it elsewhere. Stock firmware should still be fine though for the most part. The only issue I found was that the music for one of the atari game's title screen played too fast, but thats it.

2021-05-05 22:42:40

Awww, somehow the Ashens video hasn't been mentioned yet.
And also, what about accessibility for system menus and such?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2021-05-05 22:50:08

The menus for stock firmware are in the article. The out of game one also have sound. I will update the menus when I get the update unless someone sends them to me first, then I can get them up sooner. It's also worth mentioning that this has hdmi out so you can plug it into a monitor. People have been using this method to capture video footage. Maybe ocr can be used to read this as well.

2021-05-06 02:57:58

Oh wow, I didn't know ashens did a video on this. I used to like his older stuff before he started focusing pretty much exclusively on poundland videos.

2021-05-08 06:59:03

I got the megacat studios and Technos collections coming in on Sunday, so super excited for those. It looks like the official evercade discord is very active too.

2021-05-08 15:43:59

Hi.
Does any of the games have stereo sounds?
Regarding the save states: Are those save slots where you can quick save your game?
I've just noticed I can buy the console here in my country as well, but I'm not sure on how many of the games are playable.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2021-05-08 20:11:08

If the game has stereo sounds, they will be in stereo. THis is usually just music though, most games back in the day didn't pan sounds much.

2021-05-08 20:26:09

Yes, some of them do, primarily the 16-bit games. In particular, the technos collection has super double dragon which has stereo sound. Once they start adding more 32-bit and arcade games, i'm sure some of those will as well, it just depends on the game and original hardware of release. And yes, the save slots is where you would store your save states. Each game has their own save slots so don't worry about overwriting one game's save with another's.

2021-05-09 00:12:17

My evercade and its extra games will be here on monday. Think I may do an audio unboxing recording.

2021-05-09 11:25:39

aaaaa,goood love old fightings games

once upon a time, a beautiful little girl who wore a beautiful red hood.  while she was passing through a forest, she was killed by Captain America.  The end...

2021-05-09 12:50:41

@21 I would check out the recording for your reaction. Oddly enough, I've been checking out early evercade reactions for the last few days now. Seems this thing has gone through quite a few early fixes from When reviewers got it and when it was released to the public, so I'm glad blaze is listening to feedback and improving the experience for people.

One of the thing I love doing now that I was never able to do as a kid is use my phone to pour over the text of the manuals. It also introduced me to what it feels like to need light to read. I wish I had taken better care of the boxes for my brand new gba games so that I could check those out too, but then again, I was buying and selling games like crazy back then, so probably wouldn't have made a difference either way. These days I'm more prone to buy only what I like and keep what I buy, and that has been true since near the end of the ps2's life cycle, so we've got over 15 years of games across generations and platforms between my baby brother and me.

2021-05-09 17:58:21

Awesome. Thanks for your replies. I look forward to see how many of the games you find accessible.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2021-05-09 19:50:39

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'm personally a sucker for the old NES LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!