2019-12-31 05:52:49

Ok, so I know we've all seen this, something in a game that just isn't quite right in our culture, something we consider messed up. What are some things you guys have seen? I'm not writing this to make anyone angry or criticize anyone. It's just something I notice. Also, a spoiler alert is in effect for this entire thread. Here is my list. First, the gate. I was all set to buy a copy until I saw someone play through the final fight. Your final boss is the devil! How is that ok? Second, Paladin of the Sky. Overall, I like this game, but a couple of things stick out to me. One of the bosses during the game is Saint Peter. You also have to fight God Killers and other things that just kind of bother me deep down. It isn't enough to make me hate the game, not by a long shot, but that is just kind of wrong. If you guys have seen anything like this, please share. Video games are ok too, for those who play them.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2019-12-31 05:57:00

What’s wrong with fighting the devil?

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2019-12-31 05:58:35 (edited by jack 2019-12-31 06:00:34)

I think Hadies/the devil appearing in games/tv/video games is more of a trope than anything else, so it's probably not meant to be taken as seriously.
Speaking of the devil, not that I took offense to this, but did you notice in Manamon 1 that Octoross mentions Satan? And it came out of nowhere, not quite breaking the forth wall though as is other tamers, like trying to find text to speech voices online. ol!

2019-12-31 06:05:56

iI haven't seen any culturally wonky things in the manner you're describing. Fight the devil? Fight St. Peter because he's challenging you, determining how worthy you are? All sounds right on board with Christian theology, really.

I can think of some general oddities, but they're not cultural, most of them.

1. In manamon 2, when the character realizes that no one in Mamia has a phone, he is almost shockingly rude about the whole thing. I mean, some guy just randomly rescued him, and he's all, "Oh, you guys don't have a phone? I'll be going then. Nah, I don't want to stay and enjoy your hospitality. Just...bye." Extremely rude.
2. On a more mechanical level, almost every room in Shades of Doom is made up purely of right angles, and does not appear to be complex (i.e., squares and rectangles predominate).
3. Paladin of the sky deals with a ship that has a druggie hideout, a whole palace for a dude named Burt, a drug factory, a hidden floor, an enormous unused storage room full of ghosts, and plenty of other weird and wonderful places. How does all this exist on one ship? I'm just picturing some security guy going, "Right. Okay, did you check the druggie hideaway for stowaways, Bill? We had problems with it on the last flight."
4. In manamon 1, your character is twelve or so, and yet one of the people in the Manalith Factory says something like, "Your good looks were distracting me". Uh...what?

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-12-31 06:53:41 (edited by Dark 2019-12-31 06:54:30)

Lol I'm  with Jayde on this one. Old Nick (and not the Saintly one), has had quite a distinguished video game career, mostly getting smacked around by the Hero one way or another.

I was especially amused by this in suepr Castlevania, where apparently the devil and the grim  reaper are both Dracula's minions, what a come down big_smile.

Okay here's a few things I've noticed.

Alien outback, anyone ever wondered why apparently busher Bob's shotgun from the boot of his car is powerful enough to take out an alien ship with two hits? especially a ship which (if your life meater in the game is to be believed), can take a lot of lasers.

As well as the right angles,  Who the heck in shades of doom ever thought that having an experiment which takes four different wafers to shut down was a good idea? I mean I can see it now:
"Shall I add a cutoff switch to the device so we can shut this down if it goes wrong?"
"nah, I'm sure we'll have time to insert several plastic wafers into small slots in a randomised order before anything bad happens."

In Manamon I personally just thought  woman who talked about the character's good looks despite his age was being disturbing in the anime fashion.
Apart from the mention of Satan though, what did slightly confuse me is where the heck was Matthew throughout the game? He says he's going off on his own journey to collect stadium keys, yet we don't see him at all until he's already defeated the master, indeed what happened to the previous master anyway?

Then again, manamon's plot is a bit bonkers in some ways,
I'm hoping two will have a better general story.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-31 06:54:58

Well, the ones I pointed out could have something to do with the way I was raised. I spent a good chunk of my life in church. Also, is it just me, or is the hatred of the halflings in Paladin very very similar to what we deal with already? There's something fundamentally wrong with hating someone for being different. That isn't just in a game. That's everywhere. Jade, you have spent quite a lot of time with the stories in these games. Here is a place to share all of your frustrations with things like this.

2019-12-31 07:08:49

Here's what I'm confused about. How come in Crazy Party, you just keep putting yourself in these situations that will get you eaten by freakishly large ants, murdered by scissors, or bombed from above? And why do you like doing it so much?

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2019-12-31 07:48:13

@Dragomier, that is why it is called crazy party, because you are craaaaaaaazy! big_smile.
@Eliza, I wouldn't say games depicting hating someone for being different is something wrong with the game, it's just the way people work. Unfortunately, Paladin of the sky isn't really a great example of that, mostly because the hole dragon halfling business got somewhat dropped, and the idea of humans who are just human vs all these half magical dragons with awesome abilities seems a bit bonkers anyway, (it's pretty clear who'd come out ontop in a war).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-31 08:11:53

What confuses me is why P air is so dead set on killing off all the dragon halflings, when he’s a halfling himself. Evidence of this can be seen in the final boss battle, when he attempts to cast toxic ball.

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2019-12-31 11:57:31

Psyco strike's menu system is messed up. Want to go to the bar? You choose it from the menu, done you're teleported there. At least some kind of walking on the street filled with people should have been made. The game had a lot of potential due to it's theme but it has been ruined.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-12-31 12:08:38

is there any part of psycho strike that isn't messed up in some way?

Just to choose a couple of random things, how exactly do you get food by repeatedly punching a goat? and since when do factories create mines, especially whene machinery of the factory comprises nothing but endlessly spinning circular saws big_smile.

2019-12-31 16:24:51

why does hadies in the gate sounds like he needs a drink?
in survive the whild, how can you have a bag that has 100 of every single thing? aww! your character just died do to overweightation. is that even a word?

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2019-12-31 20:10:13

i just have to say lol to everything here

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-12-31 20:24:44

I still want to know, for the life of me, who is really the evil person in q9.  Is it the alien, or the narrator.  I almost feel like you ended up playing the bad guy because you ended up killing the narrator who only wanted to tell a good story but never could quite get off the ground.  Plus, there's all that animal abuse; have you ever walked around jungles and caves and such clubbing and pelting bears, bats, gorillas, leopards and wolves with rocks?  Doesn't it make you feel just a little ashamed of yourself?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-12-31 20:29:29

Good point about q9. I hadn't thought of it that way. To the person who says lol to all of this, I'm right with you there. Some of this stuff is so dumb, from a player's point of view, that it has to be laughed at.

2019-12-31 21:27:24

Pierre could be ashamed of his Halfling roots in the same manner that Hittler was ashamed of the fact that he was half Jew himself. Voldemort from Harry Potter could be another good example. He was a Half Blood and yet to him Purebloods were the only wizards worth being or knowing as Dumbledore points out to Harry. I'd bet that not many of his Death Eaters knew the truth about his ancestry. Of course you could argue that maybe they did but just let it slide because to them he was prepared to give them what they wanted.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2019-12-31 21:36:02 (edited by Jeffb 2019-12-31 21:57:08)

Why is it that the store in Grizzly Gulch is only open when you need something? How does Red know what I need when I need it? Did he kidnap Santa? What if I wanted to buy 1 sac of barly? His student loans must not be that expencive if the shop is always closed.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2019-12-31 21:39:05

Speaking of carrying a lot of stuff, have you ever considered that in BK3, and 2 for that matter, you just walk around with a bag full of garbage that steadily piles up? And you can carry this megaton hammer that takes stamina to swing, but... like... you can dead out sprint with it in your hand. Not even a little slowed down. Same with swamp. You've got this huge amount of guns just strapped to your person, but you still take hits, there's nothing in the way? Not even your axe like strapped across your stress? And it doesn't slow you down in the slightest? Where are you keeping these thousands of millions of bullets?

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2019-12-31 22:42:08

Well the animals in q9 are all after us, their strikes even detect animals and avoid them.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-12-31 22:44:45

again, lol.
also, in the vail, a blind legend, and ablind sordsmen, how the freekin hell do the people know your blind?

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-12-31 23:12:21

In Papa Sangre 2, you're in a nightmare scenario at one point where you're deep underwater, in a wrecked sub. First of all, that ambiance in that area actually made me nervous, not sure why...but here's my question. If you're that far underwater, why isn't the pressure alone killing you?

In TechnoShock, how the hell is it that the only, and I do mean the only, thing that can hurt mosquitoes is bug spray? You can't shoot them, whack them or blow them up.

2019-12-31 23:27:52

@20 people know you're blind by looking into your eyes. Or by your reputation,  or your actions, behavior, take your pick. There's just lots of ways. If you wear an eye patch over both of your eyes, or you keep them closed all the time then its obvious.

There is a very mean game over screen in gloria union, apparently, that depicts girls getting taken full advantage of by men. For obvious reasons, that sequel to Yvdra union has never been lovalized in the west.

2020-01-01 00:58:24 (edited by jack 2020-01-01 00:58:38)

In pipe2, flashlights turn off electricity (granted that's a cheat code, but how ironic). And that must be some real precisely programmed grenade if it knew to only destroy the non-fit pipes in your toolbox and somehow give you an uber powerful hammer to boot. But hey, who said cheat codes had to be realistic? Lol.

2020-01-01 03:20:47

I haven't gotten far enough in pipe 2 to see that.  Isn't there someone in Manamon 1 who says you don't have to fight them, like they have other ideas?

2020-01-01 04:05:34

After you beat her, she says something like, "You didn't have to fight me, you know". But considering that she ambushes you, it's a bit unclear what she meant. It sounds like Aaron was trying to write in some vague flirting and it didn't work. Again, much, much more awkward when you realize that the main character is like twelve-ish and these shadow people are adults. That's just a big enormous "oops" that hasn't been addressed in three and a half years, so...