2019-02-15 22:17:20

I don't know. I think it might be a four finger tap near the bottom of the screen. I couldn't get to the bottom. I know there's a landmark heading up at the top, why not one at the bottom.

If there is a quick gesture for this maybe someone on here could let me know.

Also, a few corrections, I mentioned that the mushroom labelling was fine, that is the case for antidote, magic mushrooms, detox and grow mushrooms. but attack speed and defence mushrooms have the description spread out over three lines, requiring 4 swipes to go from the attack mushroom to the defence mushroom, If the description is all on one line two swipes would take you from the name of the mushroom to the eat mushroom button.
This would eliminat two swipes every time you're in the mushroom part, and I think it would improve gameplay.

Also, Keeweed was asking for interesting ideas. Once I had been burglarized by some spiders. I had the chance to go back the same way with a newly acquired fire spell. I couldn't resist the urge for vengeance, but I couldn't help but wondering whatever happened to all the loot they grabbed.

Also, you're prolly planning this one already, but you know how you keep saying that the pressure plate will be the death of me one day. I guess you might be thinking about having it activate a trap, or perhaps release a monster, either one of those would be a good idea. maybe keep the possibility of more treasure inn there and give everyone a 1 in 3 chance of encountering one of the 3, but this should be reserved for hitting the plate on the way back only. There's already enough damned traps in this game going forward. This would also give cautious players pause, If I met a knight on the way in, but stepped on a pressure plate, do I want to risk the plate encounter enough for a random drop from a knight that will cost me my only key?

Keep up the good work for now. I'm adding in the guide that damaged monsters are still damaged on the way back, but I'm guessing they lose any effects of magic spells.

2019-02-15 22:33:26

Please don't add a heading at the end. You're correct about the 4-finger tap at bottom being the iOS gesture to go to the last item. It takes some practice to do, especially if you have large fingers and one of the smaller phones, but with practice it's not hard to do and I use it regularly to play POA.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2019-02-16 11:51:05

Hi!
@Keeweed does your framework give you access to where VoiceOver focus goes? It would be great if, after every action taken, the VoiceOver cursor could be placed somewhere meaningful, such as the start of the story section for most scenarios, or the start of the choices section in the shop.
Thanks for paying so much attention to accessibility and for creating this gem of a game. It reminds me so much of the fun I had playing 80s DOS games. In fact, it plays very much like one of those.
All the best,
EG

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2019-02-17 17:03:16 (edited by Keeweed 2019-02-17 17:07:51)

Hey guys, thanks for sharing all your thoughts about the game. I'm following the discussion about the heading at the end with interest. Whatever you decide, I'll follow up, it's not much work either way.

About the swiping through certain descriptions; I know this is the case and I understand the frustration. It's the result of the fact that I made this game with sighted users in mind in the first place. Wherever the screen reader says 'attack' or 'life' or something, there is in fact an icon displaying that stat. It was thanks to KenshiraTheTrinity that I learned that the game was fairly playable with a screen reader, except for the icons. I fixed that by adding alternative texts for the icons, but unfortunately, screen readers interpret that as a separate piece of text, hence the extra swipe.
The best way to fix that would be to add something like a visually impaired mode into the game, which would change a whole bunch of things and just render the text as one piece. I could then also implement live regions and stuff like that. It's definitely something I want to do, but currently I cant spare the time.

@Ben, I'm likely to follow up on your ideas about XP. For the Assassin I have another weapon in mind to start with; a highly powerful one, but with a very low durability - probably only one. Challenge is to keep the weapon all the way to the end boss and use it here. Could be a fun variation. About the pressure plate, I'm playing with some ideas for new dungeon content and having some kind of optional treasure vs risk trap is definitely an option. Right now when you return to treasure inside a dungeon there's about 1/3 of a chance there's more treasure there, same is true for dark rooms with treasure. Finally, about the spells. I've already got 2 new spells that deal damage; one cant be blocked, the other cant be dodged.

@EternalGamer, I don't know, in fact. It would be interesting to experiment with that, but I think that also would be part of adding this visually impaired mode to the game. And I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the game smile

Developer of text-based roguelike Path of Adventure.
Get it on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … fadventure
Download from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/path-of-ad … 1449457468

2019-02-19 21:37:32

Hi Keeweed,  Glad to hear about the exp. I think we're on the same page there. I knew the traps were coming. maybe it's just me being clumsy. I can get the four finger thing sometimes. If I took the otter box off my phone it might help. If others think the heading at the bottom is not good then I guess I'm ok with that. I'll try to get better with the gesture, but relabelling the button so it doesn't say "end main" would be good. I think some other's mentioned that.

About the assassin's new weapon. It would have to have a durability of at least 2 or it would break on the first go. Or is that what you're thinking. I don't know if 1 weapon would be worth sacking an inventory slot, but say it started with a durability of 1, so if you used it right away it would be toast, but you could fix it up with sharpening stones along the way, for the max 10 durability of all other weapons, of course you'd need 3 sharpening stones and that is unlikely, with the current drops, but this   might be more interesting.

Adding 2 more spells will affect probabilities of finding stuff. The game definitely doesn't allow you to find everything. I'm not sure at all how that would change the dynamic, but glad to hear your working on things.

I suspected the labelling was something like that. I also understand that changing it could mean a lot of coding. The game is already more accessible than most, so thanks for putting the time in, and remember to post the new up date to apple vis.

2019-02-20 10:09:49

The "end main" happens because I wrapped the text and buttons inside a main tag. I thought it might help, but if there's no benefit and just being annoying, I'll remove it again. Anybody against this?

The new weapon is very powerful, 25 to 30, with a good speed, so I think sacking an inventory slot might just be worth it. But I still have to play-test it.

Considering the finding dynamic, I'm experimenting with a new setup where you don't find any weapons as dungeon rewards anymore, except for the artifact ones. Instead you loot them or buy them. At the same time experience for fleeing is 1, and on the path you can escape an encounter by throwing away some treasure. All in all, I hope it means there'll be less meaningless fights and more tension as to what reward is worth entering a dungeon for. Still have to play-test this all, though.

Download from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/path-of-ad … 1449457468

2019-02-24 21:55:27

Hi Keeweed,

I think the 1 exp for fleeing should be only for rogue and maybe warrior at best, but would say give the 1 exp for fleeing to a rogue, take that away for warriors, and then assassins lose exp for one hit kills. I think that would be a good difficulty progression.

I would say that any dungeon is worth going into! although, I like that you'll be increasing the value of the end treasure, as I understand it. I would suggest doing this for the wraiths as well.

starting with your weapon at a durability of 1 would be good I think, you'd still need to find a stone somewhere and if you used this on one of the mini bosses then you might be costing yourself experience. I think if it were me playing with a one use item I'd either sell it for what the merchant is paying, or use it on the shady sorcerer.

Getting through the final castle usually costs all the durability I can manage. I find myself running from battles, just to save the damage to my weapons.

2019-03-04 13:24:45

@ Keeweed, also, I'm assuming this weapon would show up in other adventures, the way I found a ring of life as a warrior, in one crazy quest, given the frequency of this, I didn't even think it was possible for the longest time.

From a developing standpoint I don't know how difficult in game achievements are, like, before losing my vision I was getting these achievements on x-box and it was super fun,

Some ideas include, - having 3 elixirs of growth in inventory, and another achievement for each progressive one after that, I can't imagine having 5 elixirs in inventory, but it would be something.

The five finger quest, - collect all five rings, of course this would only work if you seriously changed the treasures, but it could be fun.

Giving your new weapon some thought I ran through on Warrior focusing on attack only. putting 3 elixirs on attack and 1 on speed and finding the totem of the lion, I grabbed the flail of doom from the queen and with the help of my ring was able to take out the Dragon in the second encounter.

I broke the totem before the second encounter, and had the jellify spell doubled so one cast lowered defence to zero and was able to knock the dragon out in the second round, but damn was it close.
Had the ring of brawn not worked in the second round I don't think I would have managed it.

One idea for the new weapon might be to have it so that it is always breaking, no matter what, but studious players note how you get 2 hits on a breaking weapon, have it start at breaking 1 so if you were to use it in an early encounter it would break, but if you use a sharpening stone, it will increase to breaking 2, this will be especially effective if you keep the number hidden as it currently is. that way someone using the stone would think that the stone only worked on the other items in their inventory, - give them a hint though like when the stone increases it from 1 to 2 the story narrative should say "you improve the condition of your battleaxe, your oak shield, and your megadeath weapon" but if you use another one later in the game and the megadeath is already at breaking 2 the narrative just reads " you improve the condition of your battleaxe and oak shield" - clever, no!

So in game achievement 1 - knock out end mob in second round, - game achievement 2 kill it in the first round. I already know that the 2 round kill is possible, so with a mega death, some mushrooms or a totem, concentration throughout the game on attack, and maybe a magic spell in there, if you did something clever like taking the end mob down to 80% then used the mega death to take out about 40% the final fleeing hit could give you the 1 round victory, - also with the weapon at breaking 2 and a stone in your inventory you could totally take out the sorcerer and still have enough, I just wanna see the look on his face when he goes down in one hit,

looking forward to whatever you roll out with.

2019-03-06 19:06:27

Hi Ben!

About the xp, I like the progression you draw there, but I'm afraid it would be a little too subtle for players to notice. I like the xp exception for the Warrior because it is explained clearly by his character. Also, fleeing is now more expensive in that you won't be able to block or dodge it, so receiving 1 xp for managing to do it is a good reward. As a side note, there's now also a consumable item that allows you to flee unhurt; the stink bomb.

Yes, the megadeath weapon can be found like other artifact weapons. Nice you find another ring during your quest, that's indeed quite rare! And congrats on beating the dragon in the second round. It was actually designed that way, to leave that option open, and in the new update I made it a little easier to do that, but it still requires some clever tricks.

And I like the achievements ideas! It's a cool way to add more replayability, but it will take a bit of time to make, I think.

I've been playtesting the new version for 2 days now and I think it's a good improvement. I expect to release it any day now. Will let you know of course smile

2019-03-06 23:27:43

@ Keeweed, ok, It sounds like there will be quite a few changes to game dynamics, especially regarding fleeing. Another idea for an achievement, - Mushroom master quest, - eat a detox mushroom with life -11. so requires eating 10 other mushrooms first, and of course would lead to eating more mushrooms after that. I hope you can buy those stinkbombs.

2019-03-07 19:37:48

I, love, this game...
just sayin'
Thank you. This is now my favorite IOS game.
A

2019-03-08 00:31:02

What programming languages were used to create?

2019-03-08 11:20:51

@160 Actually, that would require less than 10 mushrooms, because the price rises with each mushroom eaten wink Stink Bombs can be found as loot and received from the knight.
@161 Thanks, that's awesome!
@162 It's all custom made with web tech, using Angular and TypeScript.

I'm happy to announce the update just went live! Please beware: finish your current game before updating. After updating you won't be able to continue your current game. This is super annoying, but I don't have a solution for it yet.

So, what's new?
-    New enemies, weapons, items, and spells
-    New dungeon events
-    Cursed and enchanted weapons
-    Tips event (thanks to Benf's guide which served as a great inspiration!)
-    Side-quests issued by the Witch-Queen
-    Many tweaks and smaller changes
-    UI and accessibility improvements

I hope this update will make you all enjoy the game a bit more, and as always, let me know if there's something you think can be improved smile

2019-03-08 16:31:27

Woo thanks tons!

2019-03-08 18:07:05

@ Keeweed,

Glad you've put the time in, can't wait to try it out. I have an exam in a couple of weeks, and can't spend too much time on the game right now, but I will soon.

To be clear I'm thinking the detox mushroom would have a life -11 value when you eat it so you would have eaten 10 mushrooms and taken a total of 55 points of mushroom damage before eating the detox, for a total of 66 points of mushroom damage before the reset is activated. So, it would be a difficult achievement to get "mushroom Master".

2019-03-09 00:45:46

I love the new things and the peeking nome can even find out what the knights have. Great touch!
I have not used a stink bomb, but can't wait.
I love the quests and the new text. The weapons are awesome and you are a very creative person.

Atty leaves flowers at your feet

2019-03-10 16:34:49

Just downloaded the game sooon! Looking forward to getting drizzunk and yelling at my phone lol. Thank you for your continued compassion for our predicament. Much love my dude, and keep killing it.

2019-03-10 16:57:10

Indeed this is shaping up nicely

2019-03-10 23:34:08

Hi Keeweed,

I know I said I would study and not play this game obsessively, to be the first person to knock out the sorcerer in one hit with a basilisk tube, and other wonderous things, but of course I have been experimenting with your new spells and items.

So, I noticed a couple of glitches I don’t think are intended. Firstly, when you go into the inventory to check the status of a cursed or enchanted weapon, the voiceover reads out a long equation instead of just saying “enchanted Defense +1” or “Cursed Defence -2”

Btw, love the new cursed and enchanted weapons.

Another glitch I noticed is when I took a goblin chief down to zero life with 2 spells cast as a mage he didn’t die, even though his life total was 0
The ring flashed and I had to choose to attack
I ate a mushroom and then he did die. I thik it’s just a game glitch, but worth fixing.

I also noticed that I can’t use bare hands if I have four weapons capable of doing damage. This is frustrating when I’m carrying enchanted weapons I don’t want to damage, and my attack would be enough to kill the monster.

Although I did notice you also don’t let us kill demons with bare hands anymore, like the wraith cheat in the old version. I did like the cheat, but understand the reason for the change. Also with the introduction of spirits that only temporarily fade the weapon I can accept the new rule of being forced to part with a weapon to kill a demon. Also, if the weapon dealing the damaging blow is destroyed I guess I wouldn’t want that happening to my bare hands.

I have found a buckler and camaflouge cloack, I noticed the elvin belt adds +1 speed in all encounters, but the cloack is now for defense only, Just wondering are there some sorta gloves or something for a speed boost that only applies to attacks?

I also like the poisin switch mushroom, instead of antidote, it seems very homeopathic – like cures like.

I noticed that you changed the warrior and assassin rings to work on Every fourth hit. The predictability does allow for some better strategizing, I like the change, but could see the value in the randomizer as well. This way does feel a little more strategic though.

I also noticed that you have a few dungeons that force you to go back the same way. That keeps it interesting for sure, and makes sense, sometimes there is just one way in and the same way back out.

It sure is a bugger when you have an allergic reaction though, and now you don’t even get a mushroom to compensate you for the life adjustment.

Wah! – and you took away the crown quest – double wah!

Actually, the crown/crystal quest change is the one change that I really didn’t like at all, I liked just about everything else, including the stink bombs and the way you changed fleeing. It’s not the way I would do it, but it works well.
and I love how the nosy gnome is looking in pockets now, but haven't been able to check the ability of the gnome to detect curses yet.

My problem with the new crystal quest in place of the crown quest is that the crystals are doing the exact same thing as the crown, so you haven’t really added anything here. Also, the old version gave you a dungeon to go through, complete with monsters and treasure, I would usually get 3-5 exp for each dungeon to get the 2 halfs of the crown. Also, the requirements are nuts. Ok, the elixir is not a bad one, but keeping 150 in treasury, or having life below 5 is really nuts. The treasure is one thing, but getting poisoned just to recover a crystal is weird, but I did deliberately get poisoned just to lower life to get the crystals, super weird.

Anyway, please bring back the crown quest, just the way it was, not to hard to find, and a bit of dungeon questing.
I have an idea to save your crystal quest idea, though.

I know you meet up with the traveller at a later point in the game and can ask about tips. I like this addition, but let’s make it more interesting. So when you encounter the traveller after the first mini boss encounter you could ask about 2 of four topics. The same way you can do now, but have the topics lead you to the side quests.

For instance, you could get crystals that would allow you to enchant a weapon. Or you could get some items. – I’m thinking now that you have some damage spells, maybe you could introduce 2 damage items. 1 – a holy hand grenade, deals 20 damage that cannot be dodged
And 2 – a sling shot – deals 15-20 damage that cannot be blocked.

You could make these artifact items that you can only get by first talking with the traveller, and based on what you ask, you would get different quests.

You could ask about elixirs, and have the traveller say something about having an elixir in your inventory to find a crystal shard. Or ask about treasure and have the traveller tell you to keep 150 treasure to find the holy hand grenade or ask about life and have the traveller tell you to keep your life uner 6 to find a sling shot.

Or you could do it the other way and ask about enchantments to find out about crystals and using the elixir to find it.

However you do this, I feel strongly that it would improve overall game play. It would actually be introducing new content, not just relabelling the old quest and calling it something new. – lol just ribbing, you have done a very good job all in all.

Another change I’m hoping for involves the wizard staff. I know I’ve been mentioning how the choice to use it to freeze the cost of spells needs to be a choice, but with the new changes I feel even stronger about it now. You are adding some complexity, and the combos are starting to get really powerful with concentration. I think that this speaks of greater strategizing on behalf of the players. Like the way the four charges on the rings feels more strategic, because of some more predictability in the game dynamics.

I’m still going for the first round end boss victory. I’m not sure if I will have a better chance of finding the basilisk tube with a warrior and timing the ring of brawn to double the attack with it on the final boss battle.

Or if working on getting enough magic to take it out as a mage will be the way to go. I’m thinking that 8 lava or lightning spells with a hat and pipe should do it, and the ring should allow me to knock it out before it has a chance to flee, but I haven’t been able to get the right drops to make this work, yet.

2019-03-11 04:40:17

Thinking more about the crystal quest, the old version had three events, the queen's first appearance, the first skull cave and the second skull cave, this version has 5 events, the queen's first appearance, the day you can look for the first shard, the queen's second appearance, the second time you can look for a crystal, and the one day the traveller shows up, I'm thinking you could keep 5 events, have the witch dream, the 2 skull caves the travellers appearance, and then the fifth event would be the day you look for the crystal. If you don't want to add the damage items as suggested you could do this with crystals that can be used to enchant weapons, getting to enchant weapons would be super fun. You could ask the traveller about either attack, speed, or defence and the stat you ask about would be the crystal you search for, and the traveller tells you what you need to do, I. e. carry an elixier, or get poisoned! ya, I just got that one for real, man you're twisted.
Anyway, still loving the game, also you could up the event count to 7 and have the traveller appear again after the 2nd mini boss to give you another crystal quest. and using crystals to enchant weapons would be awesome, and I think in keeping with what you're going for here.

2019-03-11 14:28:54

Thanks all for trying the new content and I'm happy you like it so far!

@Ben, thanks for the bug reports. I have found the problems and will fix it soon. The bare handed attack was always disabled when you carry 4 attack weapons; it's a little penalty for wearing so many weapons. You should still be able to kill demons with your bare hands, that hasn't changed. There's no such thing as speeding gloves, but I like the idea! You're right about the allergic reaction when returning to the mushrooms. I only released this too late, but yeah, there should be a way around it.
Finally, surprised to hear you don't like the tasks for the Magic Crystals. Of course, the crystal is just a rename of the crown, but other than that I'm kinda pleased with this new change. I think it adds another layer of complexity to the gameplay. Before, the caves were just another dungeon, of which there were (and still are) so many already. Now, you have this little side-quest that requires you to make strange new choices, like will you cure poison now, or carry on poisoned to enter the next cave; and, will you buy new things at the merchant, or save up the treasure for the next cave, etc. It's true you're missing some XP, but the fleeing and one-strike-kills changes should compensate this.

2019-03-11 14:56:47

Hi Keeweed,

Thanks for dealing with so many points. This really is great, and the four weapons rule makes sense, I mean what would you be holding on to all of that stuff with anyway, so I guess your hands wouldn't be free anymore.

To be clear, I love the idea of a side quest, but let's make the side quest something more fun like finding a crystal to enchant a weapon. Finding the crown should be easier, - like it was before.

I do like the idea of the way you have to find the crystals, it certainly makes the game interesting, I just think it should be something truly side questy like enchanting a weapon, and not main plot like restoring the crown. Also a couple extra events might take away some of those boring days full of pebbles and blisters.

Also, I wasn't seriously complaining about the allergic reactions, because this only affects the life you would lose later, upon eating a mushroom then it can't kill you right away, and if you're lucky enough to find a detox then it will all balance out. Actually the game is very balanced already, and I'm loving the new basalisk tube, I was able to deal 64 points of damage in one hit with the warrior's ring, but still couldn't kill the end mob in the first round. I guess I'll try the mage idea instead.

2019-03-12 12:10:09

Thanks for explaining, Ben. I think more sidequests, and generally more paths, would be cool, but at the same time I'm not sure if the game's linear setup allows for much of that. I'm more and more considering to save those kind of ideas for another game, which would have more freedom, so going on quests would feel more natural.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, and those bugs you reported are fixed and should be released soon.

2019-03-12 17:06:18

I love the new version!
Got to tell you allabout a strategy I found for a particular set of circumstances:
I found myself on progress 49 (shop) with the price for the next spell at 32, almost out of treasure, and inferior weaponry. No mana potion of course, that would have been too easy. Then I came up with the idea of selling my full arsenal of spells plus wizard's equipment, upgrading weapons, and doing this the muggle way, which involves lots of physical violence and grunting noises. In other words, I ended up being a veritable source of local entropy which the hydra didn't survive. Still, it was a close call.
Played a warrior, by the way, so the idea was sort of in character.
I love this game. It manages to be both casual and deep, with number-juggling, timing, planning, and, well, lots of cursing when it all goes wrong anyway in unexpected but entirely plausible ways. And I almost never feel I've just been smitten by the rng. There's always that idea of what I might have done better, or how I could have prevented that particular tragedy.
All the best,
E G

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2019-03-12 18:15:38

@ Business Monkey, - that's the exact sort of creative thinking that I was talking about when I mentioned being adaptable, I have sold bucklers to purchase steel shieleds or better, if your using a shield the buckler is useless anyway, eating mushrooms to get elixirs before battles, or combining monster parts to eat enough, I came up with a recipe for an elixir of growth, it involves a handful of spider webs, some dried snake skin, dust from a falling rock a monster part, 1 detox mushroom and 7 magic mushrooms, rofl, Maybe you could help me publishing a wiki guide for the new version.

@ Keeweed, as I was mentioning before if you put the crown back to the way it was, and had the traveller give you a crystal quest, it would still have the same number of events = 5 so it wouldn't mess with that part of the game, If you wanted to be super nice you could give us a second crystal quest after the second mini boss, that would add 2 events 1 for finding the traveller and getting the quest, and another event day to complete the quest.

I also like the new sharpening stone, that can be used to fully recover a weapon, if you do make crystals to enchant a weapon I'm thinking it would work the same way, you would use the crystal in your inventory, and then get the pop up to choose which weapon to enchant. Of course, I'm also thinking that you could not enchant a cursed or  already enchanted weapon. The way you cannot improve a basalisk tube.

Although, you might be able to use a crystal to remove a curse, that could be fun as well.