2012-02-13 06:48:38

hey there.
I am going to get a soundcard that has stereo mix.
Well, I want to, that is.
What external sound cards for laptops do you guys have and what do they offer?
If getting a mixer is an option, would that solve my stereo mix problem?
Would I have stereo mix?

2012-02-13 13:59:02

Hi,
A mixer would definitely solve your stereo mix problem. Some mixers, like the one in the Behringer Podcasting Toolkit has a usb device included which acts as a soundcard so you can record from its pc output.
Soundcardwise, I think you will have more luck with Windows 8 once it's out, but for now you can check on the manufacturer's website if they have vista or win7 stereo mix support. (most integrated cards sadly does not).
Good luck.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2012-02-13 15:04:57

Robjoy.
Can you give me more info on where I could obtain a dedicated small and affordable one?

2012-02-14 02:02:46

Hello,
Unfortunately there is an extremely huge selection (try a general search for one using your favourite search engine).
The reason I can't really recommend you one is because I'm not sure what is available for you. Also, affordable could mean a different price to me. Not to mention that our preference is probably different: I could potentially recommend a soundcard having stereo mix, but missing some other feature you'd like, which would lead to further problems.
One other option is to check out a local store, see if they'd recommend anything. If they do, you should check the stats yourself, and if you find it adequate, go for it.
Having said that, I don't envy you, choosing a soundcard is probably one of the most frustrating things... I wonder if sighted people have the same issue with video cards? Lol

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-02-14 03:21:00

I'm looking to stay below 160 dollars US, and really, I just need stereo mix. =Sure, reverb would be nice, but optional. Looking for something relatively small and simple.
BTW, I'm not sure how you work one. How do they work?

2012-02-15 14:28:33

Hello,
The only difference is that you need to plug in an actual usb device into one of your ports. Once recognised, it is completely the same as any built in soundcard.
Creative has some nice usb soundcards with StereoMix support, which I believe are below $160. I'm not sure about EAX support, but if they are notsupported natively, you could always try using their AlChemy.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion