2024-03-11 22:25:40

For anyone using Gmail, Basic HTML view is now gone forever. RIP.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2024-03-11 23:12:49

yeah I just realised. Its gone for good

2024-03-12 00:14:58

f

meet the eternal legend, accessibility group for games and applications in Brazil. main group to bring accessible games to the blind.
official website    
our discord server
youtube channel

2024-03-12 00:29:51

It still works for me I don't know if it is because I still have the link saved. Try this.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/onan … =s&f=1

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2024-03-12 00:48:06

I was sad about this until I realised how I can get to my spam folder in thunderbird. Still, I will miss it.

2024-03-12 01:10:43

No, still works for me, I guess that's because I bookmarked it before it died.

My chiptune archive is https://chiparchive.com/files/.
And the new sync key is
BQHTXTVRWGMFSI3BI3ZVQ4TGEOGNJJO64
Twitter is https://twitter.com/thechiptunearc1?lang=en

2024-03-12 01:15:50

I don't use Gmail much anymore, because my college is Microsoft-based. But I sure did like the HTML layout. Nowadays I access my Gmail account via EM Client or the Mail app on my phone, but it's a shame.

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2024-03-12 01:34:08 (edited by aaron 2024-03-12 01:35:00)

Hi all,
The following page might help you. But as a quicky, firstly use focus mode for things like the settings. You can use browse mode to navigate your inbox fairly well there is just a few more things than there was befoe, but some of this might even be able to be turned off. In particular, if you don't need your stuff sorted into things like promotions or such, turn off the inbox categories by going to settings, then finding all settings. From here, probably enter focus mode, find the inbox tab, and uncheck anything except primary. This will disable all categories.
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/14297617

2024-03-12 01:44:15

well, time to get a new mail provider I guess. Anyone any suggestions? I only have gmail since that's what my parrents gave me back in lockdown time and I already was not happy with it from the start because the ios app injects adds into my inbox, and now that html view is gone I think I will make the switch.

2024-03-12 02:07:33

Fake news. Typing gmail.com still gives me the option to use basic HTML.
But on that note why is it I'm able to see more emails with Basic as compared to standard? Sometimes if someone sends me an email I won't see it unless I switch to basic

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2024-03-12 02:13:54

I've been clicking not now whenever the "We're getting rid of the good version and going to force people to use the new fangled version" message pops up for months, but they forced the switch on me today, and the link in #4 doesn't help.

That said, I followed the suggestions to disable the multi-part inbox and the important check boxes and set view to compact, and with that done, the inbox has most of the new junk I don't want gone.

That said, a few issues I'm having:

The guide for using newfangled Gmail with screen readers says subject lines in the mesage field are still links, and to use the screen reader's navigational hot key for links to get to them and open them with the enter key, but using the navigation hotkey for links jumps to the link telling me out much space I'm using across Gmail, Drive, etc. and using arrows to move to the subject line and pressing enter does nothing... I can get a context menu item to open a message in a new window, but firefox's pop-up blocker blocks that, and I found to open the selected message, but that opens in current tab and seems a bit flakey. My old workflow was to scroll through my inbox to check things to delete unopened and open things to read in new tabs, but it seems like I now have to waste time going back and forth between a message and the inbox in a single tab and means I can't sort all new mails into read immediately, read later, and delete without reading in a single skim of my inbox.

Also, is there an easier way to delete an open message than finding the more options menu and selecting delete from it? I get lots of read once and delete type e-mails, so it seems inconvenient that deletion is so hard.

Also a bit annoyed that the archive, mark spam, and belete button on a label are now only at the top of the list and that the star buttons apparently can't be disabled like the important buttons and that more options is no longer a combo box, but compared to the above, this is minor. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but for now, I'm calling BS on Google's claims standard view offers more usability.

If it matters, I'm using Firefox 123 with Orca 45 on Debian Testing.

2024-03-12 02:15:51 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2024-03-12 02:17:32)

interesting. I also had bookmarked it and I got the message: after february 2024, gmail basic html view will no longer be available, please switch to standard view. There was a switch view link and a not now button. I pressed that and, And guess what, we are close to the middle of march and basic html view is still there.
You can go into it from here once you have logged in:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/

the h at the end I guess stands for that html basic view. The u for user number and if you are signed into more than one account then you change that 0 to 1, and so on.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2024-03-12 02:28:50

@George_Gaylord
It's probably getting sorted into specific categories? At least that's my guess.

2024-03-12 03:53:54

@George_Gaylord: disable your inbox categories, so promotions, forums etc, but keep primary checked.
To do this:
Go to settings. Then enter focus mode. Then tab until there's an all settings button. Go into that, then tab until you get to the inbox tab. Press enter. From here, you can disable the categories. I think you might even be able to switch to browse mode. Then save changes.
Another catch-all, is to disable smart features in google from your account which will disable a ton of settings at once,but I don't know if this could effect people who are more engrained into the system.

2024-03-12 06:18:30

While I always prefer mail clients for additional things other than a given page layout, I am not whorried of Gmail basic HTML view being removed. Google's guide for using Gmail with a screen reader is surprisingly comprehensive, and if you activate keyboard shortcuts in Gmail settings, the Standard view is really usable; I know because despite my preference of mail clients over web UIs, sometimes I need to access my e-mail in machines where I didn't configured my account in an installed mail client and I no longer find accomplishing things I need so hard.
While I'll not say that I celebrate Basic HTML view removal, I think it is good. During many years, many blind people have used to alternative compact and reduced versions, as if we should get used to the idea that using a product/service version with reduced functionality compared to the rest of the population is normal.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.

2024-03-12 07:29:15

it is still works for me.
use this link to open gmail in basic html view.
it still works:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/l9jaa72kt5p2/
sometimes google says that at the start of February 2024, basic HTML will be gone for ever, but now we are in March and it is still working.
I will use the GMail standard view just when I don't have other options, so until then, ...

All the best,
Adel, Akbari.

2024-03-12 07:49:32

links above takes me to the gmail basic html site. but when i hit basic html nothing changes. and how do i access my spam folder?

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2024-03-12 07:58:03

Hi.
@smoothgunner,
I have tested this link on another browser and it worked.
first because it was not my own browser it asks for my email, then my password and my inbox opened in basic view.
to find spam, press H until you hear Folders, then press down arrow a few times and you will find spam.

All the best,
Adel, Akbari.

2024-03-12 09:10:47

It still works for me too, but I suspect they're phasing it out gradually, which is maybe why it's gone for some people but still working for others. Standard view isn't the end of the world, I'm just used to and prefer basic html. But the link in post 8 is useful, will definitely make it easier to deal with. People copy their links with a lot of unnecessary stuff added on, but the minimal direct link to basic html, if it still works for anyone, is https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/

2024-03-12 09:10:53

@13 and 14, awesome. Thanks.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2024-03-12 10:15:51

Interestingly, going to gmail using the link on google.com takes me to basic HTML, whereas going to gmail.com directly takes me to standard.

@15: Just wait until you're forced to use a mail client that's basically a website. You *will* use a website. Resistance is futile. i'm convinced that most Developers don't give a flying fuck about what users want anymore an they'll do what they please.

2024-03-12 10:38:34

Why is it a sad day? Who has died, or something?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2024-03-12 14:15:08

Am I seriously the only one here who has always used the standard view and never had any issues with it?

2024-03-12 15:27:42

I also just use the standard view, and can't say I've ever had huge issues with it, it works fine.

2024-03-12 15:30:23

Is it just me or am I noticing no difference to the gmail view? I mean I have been using gmail for a long time on the view that was first presented to me, which I assume should be the standard view. On top of the page, I can still see the basic HTML view. Didn't click anything. The page was not bookmarked or saved somewhere as a shortcut.